PDA

View Full Version : the 80's....

5150 Girl
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I am forced to wonder at this point,,, THe 80's rock bands that I looked up to Poison, Motly Cue, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, and the like, they all had big hair, and more makeup than any woman I've ever known.... It makes me wonder if that has had an influence on the fact that I'm trangenderd to this day? I certainly use my 80's rocker roots rare ocasions when I need a cover story.
Naww,, Upon further reflection, I know i'ts been scince before I discoverd rock,,, I guess what I'm thinking is, 80's rock gives me reassurence that it's ok to be feminine/

kimdl93
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
probably not, although I suppose the heavy metal hair bands may have provided a little cover for anyone wearing make up and big hair in the 80s.

Cynthia Anne
08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Gee! I thought it was ok to be feminine in the 60's when Patsy Cline was a big hit!:D Hugs!

kimdl93
08-17-2011, 01:54 PM
When I think of the 80s performers who may have challenged gender identification, the ones that come to mind are Wham, Boy George and of course MJ. I'm not saying I liked their music, necessarily, but they definately pushed the boundaries a bit.

nuwanda
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I used to think it was all so cheesey, but now I find that I miss the 80s.

Nicole Erin
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
THe 80's rock bands that I looked up to Poison, Motly Crue, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, and the like,

Umm, yuck? Femm'ed out metal bands were called "posers"
Ya know, if you looked up to (Christ of Christs) Poison of all bands, there might be deeper issues than why you are TG

I mean POISON?

Sweet Sabrina
08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Umm, yuck? Femm'ed out metal bands were called "posers"
Ya know, if you looked up to (Christ of Christs) Poison of all bands, there might be deeper issues than why you are TG

I mean POISON?

Yep POISON! They were awesome. And even Alice Cooper wore make up. And let's not forget about KISS. I grew up on those bands as well and loved at least 90% of their stuff. It's not like were talking about Wham or something. Sheesh

Sabrina. Lost soul from the 80's

lynn_lynn
08-17-2011, 02:37 PM
I grew up with the 80's hair band and eyeliner.. Sure influenced me.

Wendy_Marie
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
In May of 1983 I finished High School and a few weeks later left out on the road as a Lighting and Sound Technician with my friends and a band we had all started in high School....This is the guys all sans make up.....when decked out for the shows we all wore make up more befitting Dee Snyder of Twisted Sister.

Our music by choice included Led Zepplin, Poison, Iron Maiden (Up the Irons), Black Sabbath etc...

By all accounts we were the epitome of the Hair Band decade in the 1980's.
I took full advantage of the 8-year span time on the road to dress and experiemnt with as androgynous look as I could obtain....Spandex, Parachute pants, fishnet stockings and any number of female clothing items were all as much apart of my daily wardrobe as were 501's, t-shirts and Red Wing boots.

No I am not in this picture...I shot a lot of film and was seldom in the front of the camera...this pic was actually shot in the spring of 1983, just after we won a $5,000 cash prize at a local battle of the bands. money we used to but equipment and make a down payment on a bus that I drove all over the Eastern United States, into Canada and Mexico.
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l531/Wendy_Marie65/PromoProofColor.jpg

betty1253
08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Let's not forget David Bowie.

lynn_lynn
08-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Let's not forget David Bowie.here is David Bowie with a well Known Transsexual at the time..

Romy Haag..:battingeyelashes:

kimdl93
08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Let's not forget David Bowie.

True, Bowie was still active in the 80's, but I consider him more of a 70s phenonm.

Barbara Dugan
08-17-2011, 06:05 PM
The 80's hair bands were cool but who can't forget Boy George, I used to secretly admire him.

NicoleScott
08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
No. It's all Ronald McDonald's fault.

TGMarla
08-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I never like Boy George. I liked Bowie, but overall, I never cared for the more limp-wristed bands like the Culture Club. (Bowie rocked, the Culture Club .... didn't) The music that influenced me the most were the '70s bands like Led Zeppelin, and the great Blues artists. But Zep wore some rather androgynous outfits, too. A lot of bands did, and most didn't bother trying to look like chicks. Some did....The New York Dolls, The Sweet, Queen... I think that rather than saying that I was influenced towards crossdressing by the bands of the era, the bands of the '70s and '80s helped confirm and validate my propensity to go en femme. So thanks, guys!

t-girlxsophie
08-18-2011, 12:06 AM
my influences from the 80s that I would say if i was able to dress fully back then would have been bands such as Bananarama,the Go-Go's and artists like Madonna and Marilyn (boy george's friend))

Sophie

Ashley Allison
08-18-2011, 12:11 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42553000/jpg/_42553983_pete_burns_getty_203long.jpg

Don't forget Pete Burns from Dead or Alive.

Ange
08-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I can't say that the hairbands influenced my urge to dress but I can say that most of the hairbands ROCK!

VioletJourney
08-18-2011, 12:28 AM
I doubt it, hair bands more had the attitude of "I'm gonna wear makeup and have big hair and still be more manly than you!" Also why isn't Van Halen listed as a band you look up to? You're 5150 Girl and the frankenstrat is your avatar!

lynn_lynn
08-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I never like Boy George. I liked Bowie, but overall, I never cared for the more limp-wristed bands like the Culture Club. (Bowie rocked, the Culture Club .... didn't) The music that influenced me the most were the '70s bands like Led Zeppelin, and the great Blues artists. But Zep wore some rather androgynous outfits, too. A lot of bands did, and most didn't bother trying to look like chicks. Some did....The New York Dolls, The Sweet, Queen... I think that rather than saying that I was influenced towards crossdressing by the bands of the era, the bands of the '70s and '80s helped confirm and validate my propensity to go en femme. So thanks, guys!

Robert Plant.. The photo of Peter Grant and Robert was like many taken of the band during their wild times - just “messing about” and “being silly” as Plant likes to say. The photo is not a fake. As far as the photos of the band in drag, these were intentional. They loved to go to the clubs where the drag queens hung out so as not to be bugged by groupies..

5150 Girl
08-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I doubt it, hair bands more had the attitude of "I'm gonna wear makeup and have big hair and still be more manly than you!" Also why isn't Van Halen listed as a band you look up to? You're 5150 Girl and the frankenstrat is your avatar!

Yes, VanHalen is my #1 all time fave band in the world. I didn't list them because I didn't feel they proped up the point I was trying to make very well. Yes, they had the hair, and Dave ran arround in tights alot,,, but outside of that...............
I should have, however, listed Areosmith... My #2 fave.... Steve Tyler is very open about his femanine nature.

VioletJourney
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Hmm... actually I heard somewhere that Diamond Dave was a crossdresser himself.

lynn_lynn
08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Id think Dave Navarro of Jane Addiction is sexy in fishnets, and eyeliner.. but hes from the 90's -00's..

LilSissyStevie
08-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I was driving down the road one day in 1984. Billy Idol was on the radio singing "White Wedding." I said to myself, "What a bunch of crap! That's it, I can't stand any more." I turned the knob till it landed on a classical station. IIRC, it was a Handel concerto. Now those guys wore curly wigs, high-heeled shoes and frilly blouses and stuff and so do I. How could I not like it? Since then, I've rarely looked back...umm...forward.