PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Women About Fashion

Tricia Lee
08-17-2011, 11:19 PM
The question of whether or not to speak to women about what they are wearing has been discussed quite a bit. I've had a couple of interactions recently that went really well.

There is a woman at work who I know only slightly. We've spoken occasionally over the years about casual things. One day she was wearing a dress with a very cute pair of heels. I couldn't help but say "cute shoes!" when she walked by. After a moment she started telling me they were only an inexpensive pair from Payless. I complimented her again on how great they looked. We talked about how awesome DSW is. It was a really nice talk. I didn't say exactly that I like *wearing* heels, but let her know how much I like the way they look.

Since that conversation I've noticed that she has started wearing heels almost ever day!

In a similar situation, I stopped in a convenience store to get a drink. There was a really cute girl there wearing a nice dress and a killer pair of heels. Again, I couldn't resist complimenting her on the shoes. As soon as I did, she just opened up and started telling me about where she got them, how much she likes them, etc. I was really surprised by how open she was to talking with me about it.

In both situations, I started by saying something along the lines of "Cute shoes - Someone has been shopping at DSW!" They both momentarily seemed a little unsure how to respond to the compliment. What is funny is that saying "DSW" is what seemed to open the floodgates.

Maybe a simple compliment seems like an attempted pick-up line? Then, mentioning a shoe store makes the compliment seem less personal, and more like casual conversation?

Anyway, I guess it can work out OK so long as you can manage to avoid coming off "creepy" :)

t-girlxsophie
08-17-2011, 11:31 PM
The wonderful thing about my situation is that my GG friends in work ask ME for advice,my best friend in work Sam and I,when working together talk each others ears off with fashion talk :) Its fun when can talk this way with the girls

Sophie

Joanna Maguire
08-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Dressed enfemme or not Most women like it when I compliment on how the look or are dressed. They then often comment how I look When I am dressed enfemme. Even though I might be dressed well. But I am no beauty

Kathy4ever
08-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I was wondering the same thing yesterday. while i was at the bank yesterday I had to hold back on complimenting the teller on her curls. I have complimented one of the other tellers on her nails several times. It is getting harder and harder not to talk about this stuff.

eluuzion
08-18-2011, 06:55 AM
:eek:Shsssssssh...please whisper when you bring up this issue. You have uncovered one of my secret techniques of "chatting up" women, :heehee:

It is almost a guaranteed conversation starter. Unless of course, you ask if you can borrow those shoes. That tends to be a "deal killer". :D

:love:

Brown Eyed Girl
08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
I remember as I walked into a Dunkin Donuts one raining mid-morning.... a gal in front of me nearly slipped on the slightly wet floor. I politely asked if she was OK and she said she was, but as we both looked down at the floor, I added...those are great shoes (and they were....a cute heel under jeans). She literally beamed this amazing smile back at me saying she had just bought them yesterday and loved them too. Why didn't I learn this 20 years ago??

Tricia Lee
08-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Why didn't I learn this 20 years ago??

Well, if you are anything like me, you felt too embarrassed for even thinking those things that you could never have given the compliment. I never gave myself a chance to learn it!

SweetIonis
08-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Recently I got into a lengthy discussion with my girl about her shoe collection. It was quite fascinating, she told me about all these Louboutin and Monolo shoes that she has. It really never used to interest me, but this time I found it fascinating. I also find myself noticing what women wear more, how it coordinates, etc. It's far out how this stuff affects you.

Nicole Erin
08-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Talking to women about fashion is an excellent way to learn how to properly dress to blend in, if that is your goal being CD or TS. I mean you don;t have to ask :what would work best with what" type things but you know, you will learn things.
Even better is to learn from women close to your size and age.
If you ARE out en femme and talk to women about fashion, then of course it is safe to ask specific questions. She may tell you that something about your style needs changed or your entire style. It may be a bit disheartening to learn that your fashion sense is not what you thought it was but take the lesson.

I know the main person I learned about everyday type fashion stuff is my big sister. Of course she knows all about "Erin", heck who doesn't? There are a couple things she doesn't quite agree with about my style but that is not a problem. The important thing is having a solid foundation of a wardrobe that is mostly workable.
She was able to get me away from the "old lady" stuff I used to wear.

MargaretJ
08-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Can I ask, what's DSW?

Kittyagain
08-20-2011, 10:42 AM
The only problem I have ever had when talking clothes to a woman is crossing the line by questioning their opinion. Bad, bad, bad.

Kitty

renee k
08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Can I ask, what's DSW?

Hi Margaret,

I'm surprised you asked. But here's the answer DSW is a nation wide chain of shoe stores. Featuring mainly women's shoes. They do sell men's and children's shoes. You even shop them on line. I'm a premier member in their rewards program.

Huggs, Renee

JillyNylonz
08-20-2011, 11:07 AM
DSW = Dallas Shoe WareHouse

PretzelGirl
08-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually, I think it is Designer Shoe Warehouse. I believe it is strictly US.

SweetIonis
08-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Like I said earlier I had a rather lengthy discussion with my girl not to long ago about women's shoes. I talk about that some more and have a question in the following thread if anyone is interested or has any insight:

Link to thread: Question about women's shoes (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?158653-Question-about-women-s-shoes&p=2575477#post2575477)

pernille d
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I often comment to my co workers about there clothing/heels. No one really says much to me but that I think is because I work in the fashion industry .but I often get that funny" how does know that " look as I spend a lot of time styling clothing . And I can often see what works and what doesn't. I guess they either. Think it's part of my job or there is some thing strange about me,

I agree women love compliments. And They are always warmly welcome and esspecialy about there shoes.it's always a good talking point, ( but then again there. Are lots of mice shoes out there )

Jennifer Soames
08-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I think women like to interact. It can be shoes, kids, clothes or anything in general. I have had the most interesting conversation just because I chat with the women I work with. One woman I know, not from my job, asked me do I crossdress as I have a very strong feminine side. I fessed up and she smiled. "I thought so" was her reply. She said dont worry I wont tell and dont stop being you. We have had lunch together twice, she has come into the same cafe as I was having lunch. The conversations have been great and she just shares.

We did not speak about my dressing and I doubt we would ever.