PDA

View Full Version : Women who drink

NathalieX66
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm convinced women drink as much as men.

The thing I observed though, is the type of drink. In the case of wine: I see so many women frequently prefer whites, chardonnay, reisling, and zinfandel as opposed to dark reds. The alcohol content is the same.
So my theory is that maybe the hormonal difference between men and women may cause slight differences in taste preferences. I, myself, no how much I try to pull off being a girl, prefer red wine. Any thoughts?

Jillian Faith
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I prefer red wine as well. Although I believe you are correct in that I beleive most GGs have a preference for white over red.

BRANDYJ
08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh No! My hormones must be off! I like white wines far more then red. But maybe my liking Jack and coke and rum and coke levels it all out. lol

SweetIonis
08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Me I prefer whites to reds. Not the real sweet ones though. Actually I can't stand red wine. In my mind at least, it's something about them that invokes blood. Serious.

That said, there are some women who can drink seriously. At one time, I used to party heavy quite frequently. Then I was really into drinking scotch. The only women I knew that was into scotch was an older woman, who didn't have any type of romantic life and all she thought about was her work. Now, there was this one real pretty chick that I knew who could drink. She could out drink me. She was into Betrone. She could go all night long!!!!

JustWendy
08-18-2011, 05:58 PM
My ex would get terrible headaches from drinking even just one glass of red wine. She said there was something in red wine that she was allergic to. She had no problems with white wine.

sissystephanie
08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Both my older sister and my late wife could out drink me!! And I don't believe the color of the wine made any difference to either of them!! That said, I prefer white wine and always have. I do occasionally drink a mild red wine, such as pinot noir, but really prefer whites! Most red wine gives me a headache that is almost like a migraine!! Not something that I want!!

BTW, I know a lot of women who prefer to drink red wine!!

Persephone
08-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Put me down as another woman who definitely prefers whites to reds! Preference is white zin. Oh, and I love greyhounds and cosmos.

And as for outdrinking men, :drink: here's to Marion Ravenwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA)! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Hugs,
Persephone.

Cynthia Anne
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
:drink:If had to I would choose it would be white over red! No thanks I'll stick with my Busch!:D:drink::drink::drink::drink:

Jeannie
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I know my wife does not like dry wine and usually complains about it being bitter, she prefers fruity type wines. We have discovered Moscato and she loves it. Before that it was Sangria and White Zinfandel. Me, I prefer Jim Beam on the rocks and sometimes Brandy on the rocks and sometimes Brandy and 7up. I know that drinking Brandy in other way than after dinner in one those fancy glasses without mixing is the "proper" way to drink brandy I get it, however it tastes good to me the way I do it and I am not asking you to drink it so..... Back to the wine I will drink what ever is served providing it's not Boones Farm or Thunderbird, well maybe later when everything else is gone but only in extreme emergencies.

Natalie D
08-18-2011, 10:17 PM
It's a dry white for me :)

suchacutie
08-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Tina does tend toward white wines and lighter mixed drinks. She even adds cran/raspberry to a gin and tonic! In male mode I love various beers but Tina never touches the stuff! Tina also loves Baileys :).

Angelofsomekind
08-19-2011, 06:51 AM
My wife and I both prefer Cabs and Merlot, though I am starting to get into Pino Noir (Which is still red). But the only white we like at times is a good resling, that's about it.

sometimes_miss
08-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I think it really depends on who you hang out with; I've known three gals who liked to do Jack Daniels shots until quite intoxicated. But none who liked scotch or other whisky. There were a few who liked rum, the more elitest liked fancy named vodka's like Grey Goose. One spanish girl liked her tequila quite a bit. Wines, I agree most women seem to prefer whites. I'm not a big drinker; my friends like beer so that's what I drink when I'm with them. On my own, I like lambrusco, and reislings (semi sweet wines that can be consumed within a few years of production, rather than wait decades to 'mature'). But I don't know much about how to pick out a good wine vintage vs. a bad one, so I usually just rely on the guy in the liquor store.

Kaz
08-19-2011, 07:13 AM
I know loads of GGs who prefer red, so I guess it is personal taste.

eluuzion
08-19-2011, 07:33 AM
"I'll have a glass of Chablis".
What guy hasn't heard that order on a date?:D
If it was white it was Chablis and if it was red it was Burgundy. Anything that sparkled was simply Champagne.
Ah, those were the good ole' daze:daydreaming:

recent poll of 10,500 women shows preference for red wine.
http://www.winesur.com/news/women%E2%80%99s-preferences-for-red-wines

I saved a great research article a few years back that showed the correlation between women ordering a "glass of Chablis" (popular in 80'-90's) with the preponderance of vineyards devoted to growing Chardonnay grapes. Of course, I can't find it now, lol.

One of the reasons women order white wines is because the tannin in red whines stains their teeth and lips! Another reason was because it was an easy way to sound sophisticated on a date and avoid stumbling through incorrect pronunciations on a wine list. :heehee:

The cause of Headaches from drinking red wines is still a mystery. It isn't the sulfites (fruit preservatives) or tannins, as some claim. They are researching histamines as a possible suspect now.:doh:

I have never found any reference to your "hormone theory". But hey, anything is possible until evidence is produced to prove it wrong, right? Left?

My favorite wine is Pinot Chardonnay. But Mad-Dog 20-20 will do in a pinch.:drink:

"No, I am not an Alcoholic. Alcoholics attend meetings. I don't."

:love:

SweetIonis
08-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Back to the wine I will drink what ever is served providing it's not Boones Farm or Thunderbird, well maybe later when everything else is gone but only in extreme emergencies.

HAHA!!!!!

Got some Mad Dog (MD 20/20) for ya then!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

I've known three gals who liked to do Jack Daniels shots until quite intoxicated. But none who liked scotch or other whisky.

I'm telling you, I have been around quite a few. Like I said before I only know of ONE woman who was into scotch, and she was an older, slightly embittered woman, never really been romantically involved with anyone. Her life was her work. I didn't say that as an insult, but just as an observation. And like I said me, scotch was my preference when I was really deep into partying. Actually I remember at around the age of 20 or 21 I found out that I liked drinking Crown Royal straight or on the rocks. Then I got into Chivas.

Wendy W
08-19-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm slowly transitioning (in more ways than one) from reds to whites. I too see more GG's drink a white over red wine, but nothing that would make me start a survey. Have a good weekend y'all, I'm going out for a drink!

Wendy

Marie-Elise
08-19-2011, 09:36 AM
I am a red wine drinker myself. Although, lately, I have begun drinking white wine with my wife because...well, because I figure it's a nice way to show her I love her. I never used to buy red.

Also, I am a bourbon man. But never any been...got to watch my weight.

Karren H
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
You ever see that study that showed that women that drink too much start looking like old men?? Lol. True! Drinking make you age... I figured that if I drank a lot I might start looking like an old woman looking like an old man!! Ekkkk

elita
08-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, my preference is red wine - but there again, living only 20 kilometres from the Rioja valley in Spain may just have a little to do with that!!!

The only time I drink white wine is on Sunday lunchtime as an aperitif. Txakoli is its generic name (i.e. many different bodegas). It is a very young wine but really refreshing....

Fundy
08-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm convinced women drink as much as men.

The thing I observed though, is the type of drink. In the case of wine: I see so many women frequently prefer whites, chardonnay, reisling, and zinfandel as opposed to dark reds. The alcohol content is the same.
So my theory is that maybe the hormonal difference between men and women may cause slight differences in taste preferences. I, myself, no how much I try to pull off being a girl, prefer red wine. Any thoughts?

I have to weigh in on this one ladies. I am a GG, in my thirties, and can say with absolute certainty that I have more GG friends who prefer red over white (including myself). So no worries Nathalie, I think it's safe to stick to your preference.

As to your theory about taste preferences - I love strong beer and Scotch and would take a nice limey gin and tonic over an umbrella cocktail any day. I am pretty sure my hormones are okay :)

On the topic of headaches etc, I heard somewhere that organic wines don't hit you as hard and have found that to be true.

elita
08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Actually I remember at around the age of 20 or 21 I found out that I liked drinking Crown Royal straight or on the rocks. Then I got into Chivas.

Sweetionis - If you like Chivas then I would suggest that you try to find a bottle of "The Balvenie". It is the absolute King of single malts. But, be aware that the only thing you put in a Balvenie is another Balvenie!! Believe me, Chivas will taste like moonshine after you have a had a Balvenie.

Lorileah
08-19-2011, 10:39 AM
From someone who tends bar on occasion (and it ain't no classy jernt either) I have seen that in general women try and maintain a more sober approach until they don't.

Whites are more popular for events where food isn't part of the deal. Whites go down easier. Sweet wines like Reislings are like drinking soda for them. Sweet blushes (White Zin, white Merlot) are also popular. Some of the older women drink beer (and right out of the bottle for some of them) I think because they don't need to impress their dates ( and beer makes you go to the restroom more often so unless you need to confab with your GF's you don't want to miss too many dances.) Then there are the hardcore huntresses, The ones on the prowl that night. Sweet shots (or mixed shots) are common. The problem comes in when they over indulge and 2-4 inch heels become precarious but that is part of the plan, someone to lean on.

Very few men at this bar drink any wine and the blush is more popular when they do. The shots tend to be more grain alcohol and rarely a mixed shot. Tequila and Jack. Call drinks like Jack and Coke, Bacardi and Coke, Crown and Coke, seven and Seven (wow broke that Coke streak) and beer, lots of beer...because guys like to stare at walls and grunt a lot I think.

SabrinaDubh
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Try as I might, I just don't like wine. (Except champaigne/sparkling wines for some reason) I like beers, and some spirits, but that's about it.

Laurie Ann
08-19-2011, 05:35 PM
I prefer a dry cab usually from Sterling Vineyards my wife likes merlots. I also like a dirty Grey Goose martine.

Laurie Ann
08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
I prefer a dry cab usually from Sterling Vineyards my wife likes merlots. I also like a dirty Grey Goose martini.

SweetIonis
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Sweetionis - If you like Chivas then I would suggest that you try to find a bottle of "The Balvenie". It is the absolute King of single malts. But, be aware that the only thing you put in a Balvenie is another Balvenie!! Believe me, Chivas will taste like moonshine after you have a had a Balvenie.

Hey thanks for that Elita! They've got a great website. Careful you must be of age to enter! LOL!!!!
THE BALVENIE (http://www.thebalvenie.com/en-us/home.php)

Yeah, I started getting into Scotch when I started making some money. I could go all night. Only one chick could hang, that was that chick that drank Petrone. Damn, she was pretty too!

LaurenB
08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Wine is Love. And Girls love Love. I love Girls and I love wine. I guess I love Love.

'scuse the bad poetry I've had a couple glasses of wine ...

Jeannie
08-19-2011, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=SweetIonis;2574469]HAHA!!!!!

Maybe if there is no Boon's Farm and Tbird to be had. LOL!!!!!

SweetIonis
08-19-2011, 09:41 PM
HAHA!!!!!

Maybe if there is no Boon's Farm and Tbird to be had. LOL!!!!!

HARDCORE!!!!!!!

Wine is Love. And Girls love Love. I love Girls and I love wine. I guess I love Love.

'scuse the bad poetry I've had a couple glasses of wine ...

That's okay, I feel ya big time!!!! That's a nice avatar. Whose work is that?

Phoebe P.
08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I can't stand beer. Just a couple I can drink. Don't like many red wines. Just a very dry white with little scent. I guess I'm the exception. I like fruity drinks that taste good. Bring on the umbrella and fruit garnish! The occasional dirty martini is okay though.

Maddie22
08-20-2011, 02:58 AM
I've been a bartender for the majority of my twenties. Once at a Beningans type of place, and the later all more focused on wine and culinary.

I can tell you what it really comes down to is experience with wine. The more experienced wine drinkers seem to enjoy reds more so than whites. This isn't always true, but generally speaking it is. Seasons play a role as well as food pairings. Summer and lighter dishes encompass white wines more while winter and heavier dishes call for more reds. It's similar to people that really get into beer. I know a lot of people that really get into beer, and it's not High Lifes or PBR, it's IPA's and stouts, or some kind of Belgium import like a Chimay.

There are generation gaps as well. I found that older people would order gin and scotch more so than younger crowds. I think this has to do with trends in consumption as well.

My grandmother was a scotch drinker, I too actually enjoy a nice scotch on occasion, but for my generation it is bourbons that are now popular. Vodka and your premium tequilas are a close behind.