PDA

View Full Version : The medical reason we crossdress

Maxi
08-19-2011, 07:27 AM
We are all Serotonin junkies.

Here is part of an article I found explaining why we crossdress.

Crossdressers comprise about 15% of the male population and are normal, healthy, heterosexual men with one little tweak. Their brains are hard-wired so that when they wear women's clothing they produce Serotonin and other neurotransmitters. This gives them a sensation of well-being, pleasure, sexual-gratification and self-identity. Since it affects the reward center of their brains they often feel a NEED to crossdress.

I think we can all relate to this. I wonder if my doctor would write me a prescription to dress?

deebra
08-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Some or even more would question 15% as high, like very high, if this number is true why don't we see more cd's in public, why isn't it more accepted. With this high a number they all can't be in the closet.

Jorja
08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Certain aminos cause you to have better feeling of well being. Serotonin is a chemical that helps maintain a "happy feeling," and seems to help keep our moods under control by helping with sleep, calming anxiety, and relieving depression. It is manufactured in your body using the amino acid tryptophan.

Using your theory, every male that eats turkey for Thanksgiving dinner in the USA should become a crossdresser for at least 1 day because turkey and many other foods contain high levels of tryptophan which in turn makes Serotonin.

Cynthia Anne
08-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I can beleive the 15%! It does make you wonder why we don't see more! Perhaps there are so many that 'pass' so well we can't tell! But I imagine it's because there are so many in the closit and so many that 'underdress' that we don't know about!!

TGMarla
08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, that must be it. And like some people need government-provided medical marijuana, I need a subsidy to buy dresses and high heels. I'll be waiting for my check in the mail!

Anne2345
08-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah, that must be it. And like some people need government-provided medical marijuana, I need a subsidy to buy dresses and high heels. I'll be waiting for my check in the mail!

Brilliant!!! Or a clothing and makeup allowance through our health care provider. The cost of engaging in preventative measures to maintain well-being and health is usually much lower than the costs down the road if such measures are not taken. So how can health care providers NOT afford to hook us up with an allowance?

daviolin
08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Very interesting Maxi. I would like to read the intier articial. I know when I get dressed, I feel like I'm in seventh heaven. Its exhilerating to me. My wife just doesen't understand me. Oh well, what are you going to do. Daviolin

Kimberly Long
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
All my life I have wondered why. Now I know

kimdl93
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
that could well account for the positive feelings many of us report. One might further speculate on why wearing women's clothing would elicit this response in the brain. Its not the clothes themselves, but perhaps the ability to feel as though one's brain and appearance are in closer synchrony.

Jennifer in CO
08-19-2011, 08:43 AM
we're all out there...just some are in stealth mode....I dress in fem clothes everyday and still "pass" as a male. I just wear "discrete" female clothes while doing it...

Jenn

Inna
08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Seratonin or dopamine are released as a reaction to stimuli and create sensation of pleasure, however they them selves are not responsible for the act of crossdressing or in fact they merely are the result. In fact such neurotransmitters are released when you eat ice cream, or just do what ever makes you happy so to speak.

I think it is safe to quote that transgender tendencies are set in the first stages of the embryo development as the result of misalignment of hormonal function of mothers immune system.

Barbra P
08-19-2011, 09:38 AM
While I think 15% sounds high, based on what gets posted here it may not be. I’ve only been a member since early May but what I see is that the majority of members reside in the closet. I suspect that the overwhelming majority of the CD population won’t even admit anonymously online that they are CD’ers. I’ve noticed that the number of guests always seems to outnumber the number of members. Sometimes the number of members is a very small percentage of the people viewing the forum. Forum members represent only a small percentage of the CD population, only a tiny fraction of 1%, and while some of the members venture out into public areas, that is not indicative of the overall CD population.

Jorja, your premise is faulty. Serotonin is created by the cross dressing, the cross dressing is the causal and Serotonin is the effect. Likewise Turkey is the causal and Tryptophan/Serotonin is the effect. Many things cause the body to produce Serotonin and if Serotonin in turn caused cross dressing then the entire male population would be cross dressers.

Looked at another way, there are 312,000,000 people in the U.S., 15% would be 46,800,000. For convenience let’s assume half, or 50% are males and that comes to 23,400,000. But a lot of those males are children, the 2010 census says that there are a little over 74 million children (under the age of 18) so that makes the adult population about 80% and 80% of 23.4 million is 18.7 million.

Now it gets a bit tricky. Some members here dress full time but I suspect that the majority of CD’s are so deeply in the closet that they dress rather infrequently and may only be able to dress a few hours a month, but on average how many hours a month is that? I try to dress one day a week and most weeks I get in about 6 or 7 hours, so taking 7 hours a week that works out to 30 hours a month. I don’t think the average CD gets to dress for 30 hours a month, I’d be surprised if the average CD gets in 15 hours, but let’s go with 15. Using 15 hours dressed a month that means that at any given time across the U.S. there are roughly 385,000 males dressed as females. That’s one-tenth of one-percent of the population, and many of those are so adept that you would pass them on the mall and not even think about whether or not they were a MTF CD.

Mary Morgan
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Left-handedness is associated with 13% of the population and I am a lefty as well, and no is isn't accepted although it is acceptable. As Eric Burdon would say, "It's a tough world to get a break in..."

NicoleScott
08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Seratonin or dopamine are released as a reaction to stimuli and create sensation of pleasure, however they them selves are not responsible for the act of crossdressing or in fact they merely are the result.

Agree. Two guys dress up as woman on Halloween, both for the first time wearing anything feminine. For one, when it's over, it's over. For the other, he likes it, a lot, and wants to do it again and again. Why the difference in the effect? I think the jury is still out on the cause.

I could be pursuaded believe the 15% number, but I've always thought it was 5%-10%, having nothing concrete to back that up. I think there are a lot of guys who really would like to dress up, but never in a million years actually do it. And there are surely a lot of guys who have dressed to some degree but would never admit it, and even try to deny and suppress the desire. I used to chat a lot in AOL crossdresser chat rooms. There are a lot of lurkers and cd admirers out there, and only the anonimity of the internet makes them feel safe enough to pursue their secret desire. They, like me and other crossdressers, like to talk to others to help us see what makes us tick. There must be a large number of secret cd's, and we'll never get a handle on how many.

If a guy has crossdressing desires but for one reason or another never has crossdressed, is he a crossdresser?
If a guy has no desire to crossdress but does it once for a Halloween party, is he a crossdresser?
My way of thinking is, respectively, YES and NO. You could argue No and YES.

VioletJourney
08-19-2011, 10:08 AM
1. The "reward" center of the brain produces dopamine, not serotonin.
2. That is just the biological basis for why crossdressing makes us feel good, but not necessarily why we do it. As a behaviorist, I would say that we're somehow conditioned to feel good (by producing neurotransmitters) with women's clothing, not "hard-wired" as you suggested.

Only in the sense that we're all blood junkies... serotonin is just one of those chemicals that regulates us.

2B Natasha
08-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Here is part of an article I found explaining why we crossdress.

Crossdressers comprise about 15% of the male population and are normal, healthy, heterosexual men with one little tweak. Their brains are hard-wired so that when they wear women's clothing they produce Serotonin and other neurotransmitters. This gives them a sensation of well-being, pleasure, sexual-gratification and self-identity. Since it affects the reward center of their brains they often feel a NEED to crossdress.

I think we can all relate to this. I wonder if my doctor would write me a prescription to dress?

The issue I have with all of this is there is mo mention of where this article was found. Who wrote it. When was it published. What was it published in etc etc etc.

Paula_56
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Wear a Liz Clairborn skirt, a pair of Jimmy Choo, 3" heels with pantyhose and hair and makeup to match and call me in the morning.

ReineD
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Crossdressers comprise about 15% of the male population

This seems like a very high ratio. Can you post a link to the article? I'd like to check their sources.

I’ve noticed that the number of guests always seems to outnumber the number of members. Sometimes the number of members is a very small percentage of the people viewing the forum.

I'm sure that among the lurkers, there are family members or partners. Come to think of it, these would be the people likely to be unwilling to join, since this site predominately is comprised of members of the TG community. They could even be the wives of forum members. :)

All I'm saying is that since we don't know who is lurking, none of us can say whether they are mostly CDers or their wives who are trying to figure it all out.

Karren H
08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Why even try to make up reason we crossdress? Even if your reason was valid.... Would it change anything going forward? I think not... Unless you have some deep seeded need to know... Its a waste of my time trying to find out!! Imho.... Ohh and I'm still working on my Alien abduction theory.... Haven't figured out who got abducted yet but I have these urges to wear pink sombreros and eat pico de gallo!! :D

ReineD
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Why even try to make up reason we crossdress? Even if your reason was valid.... Would it change anything going forward?

I took it that the OP wasn't so much coming up with a reason to crossdress, but was rather attempting to explain why it escalates the way it does, or even why so many of the members here experience such a "high" when they do dress.

Natalee
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I'd be more inclined to say, it's not a matter to putting on simple "cloth" which causes the effect of the brain's reward center. More the act of doing something deemed socially unaccepted; or rebellious. I've always got-off on doing what others said I couldn't in my teens.

Karren H
08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
I took it that the OP wasn't so much coming up with a reason to crossdress, but was rather attempting to explain why it escalates the way it does, or even why so many of the members here experience such a "high" when they do dress.

I guess I misunderstood "Medical Reason we crossdress"... Implying that we crossdress because we like to get high.... Guess "reason" threw me off...

Lorileah
08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Guess that explains why I have a need for Ambien.

Kittyagain
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I wonder if someone has done a simple blood pressure study covering before and during dressing?

Kitty

Gillian Gigs
08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
There are some interesting thoughts here. It has been found that individuals that suffer from depression have low levels of serotonin. Doctors give meds to increase, serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine in the individual who is depressed. Some say that serotonin is the happiness hormone, well if crossdressing increases my serotonin, then good. Something also to consider, endorphins, the feel good naturally produced opaite. Endorphins are released into the blood stream through several means. Some of these are; exercise, excitement, pain, love, orgasm,etc. If you love to dress, get excited when dressed, have an orgasm when dressed, then endorphins are released into your body. I do not know if my wearing lingerie produces serotonin, but it makes me feel happy, and I could use all of the happiness that I can get!
As to whether 15% of the male population has a taste for wearing womens clothes, all I know is, if men get a sensation of well-being, pleasure, and sexual-gratification from womens clothing, then that percentage could well be true.

Lucy_Bella
08-19-2011, 12:25 PM
It would very hard to get an accurate percent of how many of us do CD because most of us do hide ( most are very good at doing that ).. If I was to guess ( adding in the other spectrums within the Transgender scale) I think that 15 percent is a very close number..

I see it often in the area I live in , I am also surprised with the amount of nite clubs and diners that cater to us.. I am sure that most everyone has either dated ,met or was related to a cder from many stories I have over heard ..

NikiMichelle
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Like others have said...this explains "why we feel good" when dressed but it does not explin "why we dress"...

lanell
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I believe people are afraid of change and dont know how to react when they see a crossdresser

Schatten Lupus
08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
The 15% sounds about right, but placing the reason solely on serotonin seems to be only one part of the story, and is completely ignoring the gender identity part of it. If it was just serotonin alone, then a crossdresser could be given a SSRI and be done with it. Now honestly, how many people would feel happy and complete if they just popped some Prozac and never dressed again?
The serotonin does explain why many people report dressing makes them feel better, and can pull them out of a depressive state, and it should even have the potential to make dressing addictive to some. But one study has also found that teens get a shot of serotonin when they make a social connection on sites like Facebook. There are also a number of other things that cause us to produce serotonin, but the serotonin is not the why. Having an orgasm releases serotonin, but we don't have sex or masturbate for that shot of happy juices, we do it because we are internally wired to seek out a sexual release and gratification.

Chickhe
08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think this is the silver bullet. I was clinically depressed for a couple years and took anti-depressants. The desire to CD was not any different before, durring or after treatment. The only change was my attitude about how I felt about CDing. I learned to not let many things including CDing not make me feel bad, I eliminated most of the stresses in my life and I am now a much happier person. I suspect there may be a chemical involved, but not the specific one mentioned. There is one thing I also abserved, I stopped consuming any alcohol since being treated and a couple years after stopping medication I continued not to drink. I found it took about 2 years to not desire a beer sometimes. Now, if I drink, there is no 'buzz' associated with it and I only seem to get dehydrated. I do feel slight drunkedness, but no high from it. Basically, I have no desire to drink alcohol, I can take it or leave it. The same is actually true for my CDing. I have no compulsion to do it and although I am fascinated by it and enjoy it, there is no huge relief from doing it now. It may be that my brain has learned to fend off addictions...I don't drink coffee or anything. It could all be related somehow, but I have no idea how, I know that I am also somewhat more outgoing than I used to be also...

bridgetta
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I wonder if the thrill of it is that we are not being allowed to do? the line between male and female in society is necessary? necessary to create attraction..? maybe we would not be so thrilled without the danger.. without the anarchy involved? . if there was no distinction... its a catch 22

Schatten Lupus
08-19-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if the thrill of it is that we are not being allowed to do? the line between male and female in society is necessary? necessary to create attraction..? maybe we would not be so thrilled without the danger.. without the anarchy involved? . if there was no distinction... its a catch 22
For some probably, and most likely I would guess those who haven't been dressing for that long.

bridgetta
08-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I LOVE IT>> and thats it.. KAREN IS RIGHT!

LucyG
08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
If we are 15%, then there are one and a half CDs in my company! I am one, who is the half?

Debglam
08-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Why even try to make up reason we crossdress? Even if your reason was valid.... Would it change anything going forward? I think not... Unless you have some deep seeded need to know... Its a waste of my time trying to find out!! Imho.... Ohh and I'm still working on my Alien abduction theory.... Haven't figured out who got abducted yet but I have these urges to wear pink sombreros and eat pico de gallo!! :D

Honest, it was Karren that lured me to this life of fun clothes and makeup! No seriously, I hate feeling pretty and having neat and interesting friends! I hate being on this forum! Seriously, she revealed her true self (:devil:) in an avatar awhile back. . .I seen it! :D

Seratonin or dopamine are released as a reaction to stimuli and create sensation of pleasure, however they them selves are not responsible for the act of crossdressing or in fact they merely are the result. In fact such neurotransmitters are released when you eat ice cream, or just do what ever makes you happy so to speak.

I think it is safe to quote that transgender tendencies are set in the first stages of the embryo development as the result of misalignment of hormonal function of mothers immune system.

On a serious note, I agree completely. There is also strong evidence that some prenatal medications, DES to be specific, could interfere with the hormones and receptors in the womb leading to transgenderism.

As Karren said, the "why" doesn't really matter other than as a curiosity. Here we are - let's make the most of it. This life is very short. . .

:hugs:
Debby

Melody Moore
08-19-2011, 08:14 PM

Nice work Alexia & I almost totally agree with you.

The misalignment actually takes place about half-way through pregnancy & our development
because our bodies are developed mostly during the first 6-12 weeks of pregnancy. However
our brains start to develop and things like our gender identity & our sexual orientations are then
hard-coded into our brains after that period. But like you pointed out, it is caused by fluctuations
in the sex hormones being passed to us through the placenta by our mothers that is the sole cause
of gender identity & sexual orientation issues.

See: http://www.shb-info.org/sexbrain.html

There is no doubt that anything people do for stimulation will cause the reaction the OP has
described, but it is not the reason why people cross-dress in the first place. Especially in those
of us who intersex or transsexual who start dressing at a young age when there is no stimuli
at all through any sort of an interest in sex. So that blows that theory clean out of the water ;)

docrobbysherry
08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
:heehee:There has been for me, anyway!:)

I gave up dating, sex, and was NOT enjoying myself! And, THAT was when I was 50, 15 years ago!:sad:

Since I began dressing, I've reversed every one of those! AND!
My chronic back pain has improved, my hair has grown back, and I've lost 20+ pounds!:thumbsup:

Gosh! Maybe that's why I can't quit??:eek:

Katesback
08-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Thinking sexual gratification covers most all of it.

Melody Moore
08-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Thinking sexual gratification covers most all of it.
So this also applies to us who also started 'cross-dressing' at the
age of 5 or 6 & before we even knew what sex was about right? :heehee:

I really don't think you can generalise like this Kate ;)

CarlaWestin
08-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm changing my screen name to Sara Tonin. I just don't think Do Pa Mine sounds good.

nvlady
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Gee, if I can get my seratonin from wearing dresses that means I can give up the heroin.

Babeba
08-19-2011, 10:23 PM
There is certainly a lot of interest in manual stimulation of the genitals at the age of five or six, if my boss who is the mother of a five-year-old and my friend who works in early childhood education are to be believed! Just because cultural constructions of sex haven't been brainwashed onto a five or six year old, and that they're not going to be having any sexual partners for another seven to ten years (at least) does not mean that they're in a sexless/genderless vacuum.

The sexual hormones of a pregnant mother being the sole cause of transsexualism (that article which a PP linked to doesn't mention cross dressing just transsexuality) is an interesting theory, but it's basically unprovable, don't you think? Has anyone done a long-term study of pregnant mothers minutely observing their hormone levels then checking back in 30 years to see if there is a correlation with transsexualism? I don't think that's the case, and it would be incredibly costly to undertake particularly because the percentage of the population which is intersexed, TS or in any way biologically sexually variant (xxy, etc) is less than 2% of the population. It's very easy to say, 'oh yeah, of COURSE Mrs. X had increased testosterone when pregnant, she was so aggressive all the time!' but that is very different than actually testing the hormone levels of an individual.

Honestly, if it makes you happy to rationalize that you're getting a dose of seratonin and you accept yourself more because of it - that's fantastic. There's lots of other ways to get seratonin boosted without drugs too, though - like jogging, playing frisbee with friends, and laughing lots.

Schatten Lupus
08-19-2011, 10:58 PM
There is certainly a lot of interest in manual stimulation of the genitals at the age of five or six, if my boss who is the mother of a five-year-old and my friend who works in early childhood education are to be believed! Just because cultural constructions of sex haven't been brainwashed onto a five or six year old, and that they're not going to be having any sexual partners for another seven to ten years (at least) does not mean that they're in a sexless/genderless vacuum.
Kids start touching themselves and exploring others even before that. But at such a young age, it's not really a sexual thing, but just a feel good touch. As for exploring others, or playing doctor, that is just a part of a child's curiosity. It isn't until puberty that the brain and body become sexually aware and develop sexual urges. And a casual observation of nature reveals sex is a natural instinct. It doesn't have to be taught, it just kicks in on it's own.
And from what we know about fetal development, it's a pretty solid bet that hormones do play a role. We all basically start out as female, and the presence of testosterone triggers the genetic code in a way that causes the organs to develop into testicles and a penis. The brain is also hardwired for gender identity. It's likely that an excess of estrogen near the brain causes the gender identity to remain in the natural female state is how the theory goes. However, a child does not develop a strong since of gender identity until on average the age of 2 or 3. And there has been much research that strongly suggest there is an element of the nurture part of the debate that helps form gender identity. Maybe not a strong degree, and certainly not enough to over-ride biology, but there are hardly any personality traits that are purely biologically inclined or products of the environment. It's my belief it also strongly plays on the fact that no one is 100% masculine or feminine, and everyone exhibits traits of both genders.
But in all reality, it's such a complexed discussion, you'll fill the max page limit for a community college paper without trying, and can easily write a dissertation on the subject on all the research and information available on the subject.

SweetIonis
08-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I dress for medicinal purposes only. I have to raise my sugar level!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Melody Moore
08-19-2011, 11:37 PM
The sexual hormones of a pregnant mother being the sole cause of transsexualism (that article which a PP linked to doesn't mention cross dressing just transsexuality) is an interesting theory, but it's basically unprovable, don't you think? Has anyone done a long-term study of pregnant mothers minutely observing their hormone levels then checking back in 30 years to see if there is a correlation with transsexualism?
Dr Dick F. Swaab the writer of that article I linked to my earlier post has been researching this subject
for well over 20 years if you do a little bit more research about him. His theories have also been peer
reviewed as well by a whole heap of experts. There are more studies going on that have also revealed
a lot more about this subject, but I just don't have the time right now to post more information on this.

This is also why the policy has been changed in the Australian Defence Force to now allow transgender
people to serve. I believe the UK has changed it's policy & the USA is now looking into changing theirs.

tiffanyjo89
08-20-2011, 12:11 AM
It would very hard to get an accurate percent of how many of us do CD...

Exactly.

It's like percentages of teenagers who smoke or drink or have sex (without getting pregnant). Most of these type of "surveys" are given very unscientifically and usually with a very questionable degree of anonymity. It's like a teenager being given a survey by the school and the principal saying the results are anonymous but the chances that a friend or teacher seeing the surveys and knowing how a particular person writes their "a" or "y" realizing who the "chain smoking" teen is.

I am a guy who, if you take the strictest definition of "crossdressing" as wearing anything related to typically female clothing, including underwear, crossdresses everyday. If you take the most basic definition of the word (as in, a guy wearing typically feminine attire and presenting as a female) then I rarely do it.

I'd say that probably closer to 30% of the men and 65% of the women in the developed nations of the world have crossdressed (using a very liberal, yet strict definition of "if you are wearing your boyfriends Led Zeppelin t-shirt and a pair of his shorts because you crashed at his place, you are crossdressing" and "if your girlfriend convinced you to either dress up for Halloween as a girl or put on her panties because she gets hot with you wearing them, then you have crossdressed") at least once...with the numbers being closer to 20% for men and 45% for women who do it regularly.

Remember, women sometimes do stuff that can be considered "crossdressing" even though it really isn't. Wearing skinny jeans, not crossdressing. Wearing your boyfriend's football jersey, gray area. Wearing an obviously male pair of pants...crossdressing.

These numbers, roughly speaking, equate to half the developed world's population having crossdressed at least once and close to one-third the population doing it regularly (reason varying).

As for the medical report itself...things like this can't truly explain "WHY" since the answer is as diverse as the community is.

Maddie22
08-20-2011, 02:46 AM
but there are hardly any personality traits that are purely biologically inclined or products of the environment.

Actually there have been many studies done on adopted children comparing their personality traits to those of their adopted parents. They find strong evidence to suggest that a lot of your personality is very genetic based.

It's like percentages of teenagers who smoke or drink or have sex (without getting pregnant). Most of these type of "surveys" are given very unscientifically and usually with a very questionable degree of anonymity. It's like a teenager being given a survey by the school and the principal saying the results are anonymous but the chances that a friend or teacher seeing the surveys and knowing how a particular person writes their "a" or "y" realizing who the "chain smoking" teen is.

These survey's are fairly reliable. I've took one before and it was very anonymous. That being said, just like any survey, statistically there will be outliers. These are often thrown out, and often the studies note that their could be a certain percentage of deviation. (+/- 5% for example).

is an interesting theory, but it's basically unprovable, don't you think? Has anyone done a long-term study of pregnant mothers minutely observing their hormone levels then checking back in 30 years to see if there is a correlation with transsexualism?

I know of a study that was done in Holland (I believe it was there, don't quote me, but should be easy to google and find out) that compared certain hormone levels of transexuals, both male to female and female to male, and found that this certain chemical in the male to female was at the same levels as natal women. Conversely, they found that female to male transexuals shared the same levels as natal men. This is a part of the brain that they have researched that is developed in the womb.

I'm not sure if I buy the 15% of the male population are crossdressers. I think that is fairly high myself, and I too would be curious to read the article.

I'm really not too surprised though about how crossdressing releases serotonin into the brain. It seems like a pretty logical reaction and understanding of why we feel dressing is a high and calms us.

Carol Elizabeth
08-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Numbers and percentages! I don't know if there will ever be an accurate "count" of men who "enjoy" the clothing associated as belonging to women.

Everything has levels or layers. Many dress and go about day to day activities -out and about- and nobody knows they crossdress. Some go out and get "clocked" the minute they step out the door. Still others, (like me) hide inside and don't want to even risk being seen as a crossdresser. There are those who even hide their crossdressing from their significant other.

Yet, nobody has considered those males who purchase fine underware, silky nightgowns, sexy clothing for their sigificant other and live out their deepest and darkest desires through her. These men get their satisfaction not by wearing the clothes directly, but being with the one who is - and hold them, cuddling, etc. This is yet a different layer of crossdressing - "I'm not wearing the nightgown, she has her leg draped over me."

So the number purposed of 10-15% could be high - it could be very low if everything was looked at carefully, and people were totally honest.

As for the serotonin levels, I know that I am much more relaxed and peaceful when dressed. There may be something that is spot on - at least in my case.

Mellisastocking996
08-20-2011, 07:27 AM
:oOh wow, what a super article! My serotonin's working overtime right now!:o

Maxi
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow, some of you people take this way too serious.

Crossdressing should be fun, and relaxing. Something we enjoy, that make us feel good.
I think by reading the responses on a technical level, we can start to see the difference between the CD & TG tendancys.
I fall into the CD category. A guy in a dress. I have fun & dress every night to relax, am fully excepted by my wife and child.

During the day. I am the testosterone reeking male. Managing people and assets on the job, & dealing with our customers.
On my own time I'm wielding a chainsaw, cutting and splitting trees, making firewood.

I can make all the comments I want about crossdressing, panties, bras, heels, skirts, panty hose, and nobody take me seriously.
There is no tension here about crossdressing. Must be Serotonin overload.

My question is, If you take crossdressing in a very serious nature, is it harder to be excepted by others?

The article was the first listing in a search on Yahoo for "Why do men crossdress?". If it was truly medically researched & proven fact I would stated so.

I did not say Seratonin makes you crossdress. It is a result of crossdressing. This we all seem to agree on. The 15% seems to be very debatable.

Sounds like a good enough excuse to crossdress to me. As stated in the opening line, "We are all Serotonin junkies".

Here is the link the excerpt came from.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080122204145AAGHifY

Happy Crossdressing,
Maxi

suchacutie
08-20-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think that there is any question when it comes to the sensations we felt the first time we donned various pieces of clothing deemed "feminine". The first time I walked out of the bathroom and walked toward my wife in my 6" platforms was an incredible rush...let's face it. The source of that rush was a mixture of fear, anticipation, and the forbiddenness that I could not understand. I had no idea why I was even doing it since I (my male side) hate "dressing up" for Halloween or an any way leaving my masculine self! Again, after we were able to define Tina well enough that she started to coalesce into what we now think of her as "Tina", those first few times of transforming "completely" were really intense, again products of the fear, anticipation, and forbiddenness. Once it became clear that Tina was completely accepted (by both me and my wife), the joy of transforming changed. No more fear, and no more forbiddenness, but it is anticipation because every time Tina comes to visit, we learn something new about her.

As I said in another thread recently, for me it is the intense curiosity that brings me immense satisfaction while transformed to Tina. Does that raise my seratonin levels? I bet it does. So does a successful concert (played one last Wednesday that went incredibly well). So does solving a research problem. So does eating a wonderfully-cooked rare steak.

With that preamble I think I agree that the seratonin levels (as well as the various endorphans that I'm good at generating) are helpful in giving positive feedback to the process of transforming and being Tina. However, just like there are some people who cannot stomach a rare steak, there are some people for whom transforming to a woman has no alure. In my mind the endorphans are a positive feedback mechanism, but the basis of that mechanism can only be centered in the brain, and over that we have no control. We are who we are, so scientific studies notwithstanding, we either like rare steak or we don't, just like we are partially feminine, or we are not.

Tina

IMkrystal
08-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Looked at another way, there are 312,000,000 people in the U.S., 15% would be 46,800,000. For convenience let’s assume half, or 50% are males and that comes to 23,400,000. But a lot of those males are children, the 2010 census says that there are a little over 74 million children (under the age of 18) so that makes the adult population about 80% and 80% of 23.4 million is 18.7 million.

Now it gets a bit tricky. Some members here dress full time but I suspect that the majority of CD’s are so deeply in the closet that they dress rather infrequently and may only be able to dress a few hours a month, but on average how many hours a month is that? I try to dress one day a week and most weeks I get in about 6 or 7 hours, so taking 7 hours a week that works out to 30 hours a month. I don’t think the average CD gets to dress for 30 hours a month, I’d be surprised if the average CD gets in 15 hours, but let’s go with 15. Using 15 hours dressed a month that means that at any given time across the U.S. there are roughly 385,000 males dressed as females. That’s one-tenth of one-percent of the population, and many of those are so adept that you would pass them on the mall and not even think about whether or not they were a MTF CD.

Maxi please provide the source of this percentage because it is the highest number I have ever seen. It would be interesting to compare this to the percentage of Gay and lesbian. As a silent minor it explains why many businesses want our money and questions, if the tea baggers can be more influential with a smaller percentage why should crossdresser remain silent?

Schatten Lupus
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM

The thing about such numbers, is they are based on what an individual reports. So in other words some people will lie. There is also the issue of where the study was done. If it was done somewhere like San Fransisco, there should be a predictably higher percentage than say some small mid-west town. But because any findings are peer-reviewed and repeated, those numbers get compared to the findings of some other research team. If they are close to the same, the number will be within the median of the findings, with a give or take added to account for the slightly different percentages. Now if there is a considerably large discrepancy in the number, it is further reviewed to figured out whose number is off, and if the one finding might be an anomaly or error.

TinaMc
08-21-2011, 02:48 AM
The yahoo answer effectively says that there is something in crossdressers ("their brains are hardwired") that makes them enjoy crossdressing ("when they wear women's clothing they produce serotonin and other neurotransmitters. This gives them a sensation of well-being"). Which is pretty enlightening really ;) . I'd also think that serotonin doesn't really have much to do with crossdressing at all, more likely to be dopamine.

eluuzion
08-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi,

It is a fact that 9 out of every 4 crossdressers have problems with math.
:D

Please put me down for roughly 2%-4% on the percentage guess and let me know if I win anything. :heehee:

So then, it is save to assume that everybody here will be taking naps and CDing during Thankgiving , right? :D (Turkey>tryptophan>serotonin>CDing)

I agree with the suggestion that serotonin plays a part, but in a different manner.

Serotonin and dopamine are the two main suspects in the neurotransmitter game. Dopamine is pleasure and serotonin is the “regulator” of the balance and motivation so to speak. (The “gatekeeper” of the receptors and reuptake mechanism).

It is basic drug addiction mechanics. (It also explains the logic behind those who claim that CDing is an “addiction”) Draining the reserves, replenishing the reserves and regulating/controlling/blocking the reuptake. Blocking receptors allows the flooding of dopamine to hang around longer and make you feel that euphoric high. Depending upon the locations of the receptor sites, serotonin influences the craving/motivation balance and desires. It can increase or decrease the motivation or craving for “more”.

The curse of drug addiction is the havoc it wreaks on the balance of reserves of these neurotransmitters. “Chasing the Dragon” is the horrific reality of chasing more and receiving less. When you deplete a dopamine reserve (which is typical in drug addiction) and do not allow sufficient time to replenish those reserves you are in trouble. Serotonin helps reinforce that desire and craving for “more”. Addicts are chasing that same high they felt the very first time.

But tolerance levels have increased. It takes more to achieve that same high, which is constantly dwindling. (And will never match those initial highs they crave). At some point the depletion of reserves equates to chasing an “empty tank”, which results in an opposite effect...Euphoria expectations produce Dysphoric results. The “reward” is the opposite of what is desired. It makes you feel down and exhausted instead of fired up.

Unfortunately, serotonin and some other “brain chemicals” continue to reinforce the motivation and desire to relentlessly chase after the high, even though it produces negative outcomes. (Chasing the Dragon). Overdose deaths are often the result of frustrated addicts increasing the dose to lethal levels in the attempt to achieve the high (which is empty).

This balance/reserve process also has much to do with that “guilty” feeling some experience after masturbation/crossdressing. The ’guilt’ is simply a misinterpretation of the normal process of depletion/replenishment.

Fun Fact: Compulsive and Excessive masturbation can produce or exacerbate that lethargic, depressed feeling that addicts experience during withdrawal. (Withdrawal being way more intense of course). This is part of the reasoning behind the “no sex the night/day before the big game” motto. Orgasm depletes reserves, lol.

Next time you are feeling low, try keeping your hand out of your pocket for a few days...:heehee:

Researchers are currently concentrating more on the receptor influence of serotonin than on controlling the reserves of serotonin (with Prozac, etc).

somethin' like that...

:love:

Kaz
08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
I used to be involved in the pharma industry and the marketing of selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - they work for depression and mixed anxiety depression by increasing the amount of seratonin available. They also have side effects, but that is a different issue. Seratonin is certainly associated with feelings of well-being.

The OP suggested that CDing may increase levels of seratonin, which would be as a result of our 'happiness' but also a cause of an association with happiness and well-being... ie once that link is established, we will be driven to cross-dress because it gives us pleasure... chemically!

The assertion makes sense logically, though as Reine has intimated, it would be good to get into the 'proof' and 'truth' area on this.

15% is in the tail of a normal distribution and works for me.... especially when within that 15% there is the variance we see on this forum and includes the greater majority who do not wish to declare themselves...

Kate T
08-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Certain aminos cause you to have better feeling of well being. Serotonin is a chemical that helps maintain a "happy feeling," and seems to help keep our moods under control by helping with sleep, calming anxiety, and relieving depression. It is manufactured in your body using the amino acid tryptophan.

Using your theory, every male that eats turkey for Thanksgiving dinner in the USA should become a crossdresser for at least 1 day because turkey and many other foods contain high levels of tryptophan which in turn makes Serotonin.

I know I'm replying late on this so apologies.

I think you have mis interpreted the statement. According to OP's relayed theory, crossdressing causes an increase in serotonin and subsequent feeling of well being. That does not mean the converse is true, i.e. increasing serotonin levels will cause crossdressing. It is all about cause and effect. The crossdressing causes the increase in serotonin, not the other way round.

sometimes_miss
08-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Yup, people keep looking for the ONE and only ONE reason we crossdress. Sorry, life isn't that simple. But if in your mind you must have only one acceptable reason, then feel free to search for it, because although you will be satisfied with your answer, you will, unfortunately, in some cases, be wrong.

suit
08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
some on needs to compare model train hobbies and cross dressers , ~ get a new siding done, ~ get the make up not to clash with a new top , is their a similar brain chemistry reaction to finishing a job well ?
are crossdressers..not full TS 's , just practicing a unique Hobie that happens to mock how women also dress? ?

yes this was ment as a joke!

Samantha B L
08-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Not all shrinks and counselars want to rid the landscape of crossdressing and other LGBT tendencies. As far back as before World War II there were psychiatric researchers who thought crossdressing and other personality traits in the LGBT spectrum were neurological and/or hormonal in nature and couldn't be helped! Some of them even thought all this just might run in families. Their conclusion? Don't feel guilty. It can't be cured and it isn't illness anyway so just go ahead and have a great time! I've posted about all this in crossdressers.com 10 or 15 times not because I think clinicians know everything but in this case I think they were on the ball. This finding is to me a fresh wind and a change from the idea that crossdressing is a sinister perversion. Nobody so far has seemed to agree with me yet this sort of theory is,I think,a step towards greater acceptance. And too,we should all remember there are legions of women who crossdress as men!

suit
08-22-2011, 05:40 AM
makes the caricatures on Monty Python seem normal!

CaitlynRenee
08-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Hmmmmm, perhaps a prescription FOR a dress????

CaitlynRenee
08-22-2011, 06:01 AM

WOW, So THAT'S why my Dad called me Turkey for the first 14 years of my life...... And here I thought it was because I was born on Thanksgiving Day. Guess he knew even then.........

Loni
08-22-2011, 06:17 AM
all i can say is if it is a natural "high" it is far and away better than a pill. (the gov would fear this as they can not control or tax it)
so lets all get dressed up and be happy.

Jenny Doolittle
08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Some or even more would question 15% as high, like very high, if this number is true why don't we see more cd's in public, why isn't it more accepted. With this high a number they all can't be in the closet.
I may agree that 15% seems high, (however, giggling, if guys could feel how nice silks and satins feel it may be higher) but I think the reason that we don't see more transgendered men is because of the stigma that still exists in society. It is easy to remain in a closet. I would be willing to guess that we that are on this forum are far more OUT then most and that we are only maybe 2-3 % of that total.

Claire96c
08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
I do not think there is a physical medical reason why we cross dress but many of us develop the desire to do so at a young age. I wanted to dress as a girl when I was four or five years old.

The reasons for wanting to wear girls' clothes and to look and be like them cover a wide spectrum. For some it is sexually arousing with the desire disappearing (temporarily) after orgasm; for others it has nothing to do with sex but simply makes them feel happy and relaxed.

At one end of the spectrum is the transsexual where the desire seems to be innate (that is present at birth) and not learned behavior and is often simply about wanting to be a real woman with wearing female clothing being almost irrelevant. At the other end is the man who 'gets off' on wearing his wife's underwear as an aide to masturbation and which would be classified as more of a sexual fetish than a genuine act of cross dressing.

As a spectrum, the reasons blend into each other rather than being discrete. I suspect the desire is a mix of several factors - both learned behaviour and innate orientation. Who knows? We should enjoy it without guilt although I realise that this is easier said than done.

Claire

xx

Schatten Lupus
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
some on needs to compare model train hobbies and cross dressers , ~ get a new siding done, ~ get the make up not to clash with a new top , is their a similar brain chemistry reaction to finishing a job well ?

Yes. That sense of satisfaction and a job well done is pretty much due to the same neurological response to getting dressed up. And many other feel-good activities, although often producing a variety of different neurochemicals, usually have serotonin as one of them being released.

Miss Maxine
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
So, crossdressers are serotonin junkies? And 15% of males are crossdressers? This tells me that we're a part of the 15% that's happier than everyone else!

Joanna41
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Did anyone ask if the author is a CD? Lol. Good heavens there are medical reasons for everything these days. What's the medical reason for liking fast cars...watching sports...competing in sports? Seriously what is goin on here? Can't the simple answer just be that we like to crossdress because it makes us feel good? What ever happened to those answers? I mean I don't really care that my brain produces what ever because I like to do something or wear or eat. I just like it. I love my fiance...I don't care that my brain does what it does. My fiance makes me happy and I love her to death. Need a medical reason for that? NO! Your brain is like a machine, It's something you know you have to take care of and for the most part we do...I don't need a medical reason to know why after drinking too much I get a hangover. Hello...I drank too much...lol. Does anyone actually ever go around looking for medical reasons for why we do what we just plain old fashion like to do? If CDers make up 15% that actually crossdress...then the other 85% have fantasies about it! Next up on the soapbox.....?