PDA

View Full Version : My first time out

RachelDee
08-20-2011, 12:08 PM
So, after a bit of a delay (due to the unfortunate rioting in London) and a bit of extra expense I finally got to attend my latest appointment at the clinic on Thursday (18th).

I stuck to what I said I was going to do, I wore my female Jeans - low cut top, bra, pink hooded jacket type thing, a cap, trainers (also with pink splashs) and I took a small nike shoulder/man bag thing (loos like a black sporty handbag).

I bought a magazine to read on the train going down (cosmo! lol - its good im going to subscribe :heehee:). It rained a lot while I was there (which probably helped me feel more comfortable as I knew people would care more about the rain than me lol). But the biggest surprise was that I encountered no problems at all - and I did not feel uncomfortable! I actually felt an odd sense of confidence. I walked tall and went to my appointment (via Taxi) but also took public transport (bus) on the way to and back from the Train Station.

There were a few moments of uncomfortable-ness, such as at the bus stop on the way home (so it was night time but in lit station). A young kid sat down next to me, baggy jeans etc after coming from a bigger group of his friends. I kept thinking he was going to (at some point) lean over to me and say something rude. But he didnt, infact really the majority of people couldnt care less/didnt pay me a second look. On the train home, there was a young man who kept looking over at me with interest - wasnt sure if it was just my imagination or not (I am going to assume he was trying to work out what was going on with me). But I didnt let it bother me, he didnt say anything or stare when I looked back so.

In a shop, a heard a sales assistant ask if I needed any help, so I looked round and said no im ok thanks. Now I am wearing a baseball cap, so the cap part covers my face when my head is down/tilted and im looking at stuff. The look on his face lol..... lets just say I do not think I was what he was expecting to be under the cap.

Other than that, to be honest I surprised myself at how little I could care what other people were doing or thought. I did not feel like a boy in girls clothes. I felt like a girl in girls clothes..... which is not something I would have ever thought I would say. I mean I was not exactly looking my best - no makeup, I had shaved but you can still see the dots on my chin etc. My eye brows are not very feminine (need to have them done though soon!). But its probably the best I had ever felt outdoors in my life & hopefully its not a feeling that I will struggle to recapture.

In terms of my appointment itself, he was pleased with my blood test results for T (as it had more than halved in 3 months). But noted my Estrogen levels were not that high (going up from 76 to only 129), though I had said I have had some significant (as in you can see) breast growth and nipple changes. Not tons (im AA at best) but still....

I had anti-androgens in mind to solve this, but he commented that in his experience anti-androgens are not always best. He said my T levels had dropped a lot, and that anti-androgens - because of how they work - can actually hamper the feminising effects of estrogen (I was not aware of this?). Instead he suggested we doubled my current HRT dosage. So I am now on two patches (Estradot 100) instead of one. He remarked again that my voice was probably my biggest hurdle, he said the 'package' in general should be quite passable (though he was likley just being nice) and that my smaller size should help me feminize quite well. Funny thing is that I had to measure and stuff to get my size! But he said at a glance "You are about a size 10 arent you?" lol...... anyway I am hopeful that my doubling of the patches will bring me some more changes.

He also explained that my levels could well have been lower before the blood test, as your levels tend to spike and then come down as your body deals with the extra estrogen. Eventually though he said it wont be able to get rid of it/manage it. So roll on that day! :)

Anyway all in all it was a really positive day. It's inspired me to speed up the dumping of my male clothes with female ones. Well as soon as funds permit me, I think I need more than one look! and dispite my success and how much I want to I know I am not ready for full on dress's/leggings etc (even though I have bought some).

Thanks for all the support people have offered over the months (years even) ^_^

EDIT: Oh attached a pic of me just before I went =] wanted a souvenir hehe.

thechic
08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Congradulations,and all the best,Im glad things are going well.
ive just nearly done the last clean up of my clothing,only got 2pair of mens jeans and one mens shirt left mind you its taken a long time.

Louise C
08-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Rachel,

:eek: Wow! that look is right on the money, honey.
What a huge step too, you should be proud of yourself. Well played. :)

Melody Moore
08-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Well done Rachel! :hugs:

I really can't believe how much momentum you have going in your transition & how far you
have come now. You really are an inspiration & a good role model for younger transsexuals. ;)

arbon
08-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Good job! I love hearing about how it went, and I am glad it all went well.

I did not feel like a boy in girls clothes. I felt like a girl in girls clothes.

:):):)

It is funny how much fear there is about going out the first time but then once you are in the moment and your worst fears are not being realized it just seems natural.

I've spent pretty much this last week going around presenting as a guy, feeling very much like a girl in guys cloths and using the wrong name. My teeth are getting ground down to nothing :Angry3: One more long day to get through and then I can get back to my not so normal but still normal for me routine of just wearing a guys shirt to work and being able dress appropriately the rest of the time.

Sejd
08-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for sharing. You look great and very natural. Keep it up, blend in, have a life. Good that you live in London. If you lived in Logan Utah, USA you would think twice about going out. Good luck :0)

RachelDee
08-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Thankyou for the responses :)

A few years ago I could not have imagined being where I am right now - I def could not have imagined going around London in what I was wearing and feeling comfortable doing so.

Jorja
08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
You are looking great and have come a long way. That first trip out can be nerve rattling but as you have found out it quickly becomes natural.

Kaitlyn Michele
08-21-2011, 10:16 PM
just wonderful..

thanks for sharing everything you are doing

DanaM64
08-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Congrats RachelDee! :)
It surely takes courage to turn that doorknob the first time... I still get a little anxiety as I leave my apartment, looking out the window and peephole a few times before taking that 1st step! Once I get through the door though, the back straightens out and the confidence rises (heart rate slows too!).

Your picture is very cute, but plain enough to not draw attention, glad to hear your treatments are going well! I'm hoping to get things rolling for me soon! Have my 1st appt to make this official on Wednesday morning! :)

Keep positive your doing great!

/Dana

Starling
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
You're making great progress, Rachel. May each day bring new joy and confidence.

:) Lallie

RachelDee
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Thankyou ^_^ still a long way to go - but much better off than I have ever been really. It did take me time to reconsile some things that have held me back, maybe things I have still not fully worked though yet (mostly accepting physical limitations & the implications of and so forth) but what I did realise is that regardless of those, transition was always the way forward.

I did just want to share this picture I took, because I was so astonished at the time! I was sat there reading some leaflets and such in the waiting room when I saw this by our own NHS. Thought i'd have a quick look, needless to say when I got to this part I was quite amazed! :eek: Are they serious? :doh:

Melody Moore
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
So they are saying that under the 'NHS' you don't get any respect, whereas under 'Private' you will get respect?

Interesting.

But in my experience there are more sharks in private practice than there are in working in government run health care.
I go through a government funded gender clinic here in Australia and they treat me really well, so no complaints there.
I think whoever wrote that book feels that there is no respect under the NHS because they usually take longer & will
also have you jump through a few more hoops. But I don't think that you will be any less respected under the NHS.

Rianna Humble
08-23-2011, 03:35 AM
I can understand the confusion due to the way that this section is laid out, but I believe that the inclusion of the statement about respect under the "private" heading was more likely to have been an attempt to alleviate fears about discrimination under private practice at a time (2007) when there were fewer safeguards for trans folk than there are now.

Personally, I think that this table is quite badly worded.

ckristinad
08-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Congrats! The first time out as your true self is the hardest thing to do but once you get through it, it is cathartic. As you get out more, you will feel more comfortable over time.