PDA

View Full Version : How about this for giving us a bad name!

suzy1
08-21-2011, 06:49 AM
I have just read a Stephen king book. Anyone that reads his books knows that they are a great fun read if you like horror and gore.
So I read “Gerald’s Game” The monster in this book was as horrible as you can get.
But at the end of the book when he was captured and the cops searched his home they found that he liked to cross-dress!
Makes you wonder just how nice we really are?

Life is fun, SUZY

Gina X
08-21-2011, 06:57 AM
You speak for yourself Suzi, there's nothing in my closet I'm frightened of !!

Cynthia Anne
08-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Most monsters I know are female anyways'! Called 'ex's'!:devil: Hugs!:)

PretzelGirl
08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
But at the end of the book when he was captured and the cops searched his home they found that he liked to cross-dress!

Even monsters need a normal part to their life. :heehee:

JamieG
08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I read that book a long time ago, and don't remember that part. I do remember that in Firestarter one of the bad guys was also a closeted crossdresser. I'm wondering if King is working through some self-loathing issues?

suzy1
08-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I read that book a long time ago, and don't remember that part. I do remember that in Firestarter one of the bad guys was also a closeted crossdresser. I'm wondering if King is working through some self-loathing issues?

When the cops went into his house they found lots of lingerie which he liked to wear.

StarrOfDelite
08-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Stephen King has become nothing but a hack. All he's done for the past twenty years is recycle the same story themes with variations. The last really scary book which he wrote was Salem's Lot, circa 1975.

He remains very popular, however, so it is rather a shame that kind of thinking is being read by millions of people world wide who are already pre-programmed to hate us.

ilana
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I remember that book. It may have been the most disturbing book I ever read...
The crossdressing stuff is present because the bad guy was based off of several famous real life serial killers, and at least one of them liked to crossdress. There are actually a bunch of real life serial killers who have crossdressed, and they all seem to have solely enjoyed wearing lingerie without ever making an effort to actually look like a woman (like makeup, outfits, etc.). That connection definitely makes us look bad. :sad:

suzy1
08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
StarrofDelite and Anona.
This was just a fun thread. Please don’t take life [or Suzy] to seriously.
And I love Stephen King. If he is a hack then he still gives me pleasure. And many more.
Why do some look for the bad in everything? It makes me a bit sad.

lingerieLiz
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
When we see a portrail that is not positive think about everyother group that is portrayed in a bad light. Do we instantly think they are all that way. Does a hooker make all women hookers? Does a bad cop make all cops bad?

Loretta
08-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Stephen King has become nothing but a hack. All he's done for the past twenty years is recycle the same story themes with variations. The last really scary book which he wrote was Salem's Lot, circa 1975.

He remains very popular, however, so it is rather a shame that kind of thinking is being read by millions of people world wide who are already pre-programmed to hate us.

The entire Dark tower series disagrees with you.

ilana
08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh, Stephen King is an awesome writer :)
I was just saying that because he based this guy off of serial killers, it's the real life serial killers that make us look bad.
I propose a law banning all serial killers from crossdressing :)

docrobbysherry
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Is it just ME?
Or, have nearly every single CD depicted in story, movie, or TV , (telly), been UNPASSABLE? And, most don't seem to even try!
What's up with THAT? Maybe THAT'S whats giving us the bad name!

I say, let's see some professional female impersonators playing some of those parts!

desa ray
08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
The entire Dark tower series disagrees with you.

I agree 100%. that was one of the most amazing series of books I have ever read.

suzy1
08-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Is it just ME?
Or, have nearly every single CD depicted in story, movie, or TV , (telly), been UNPASSABLE? And, most don't seem to even try!

I say, let's see some professional female impersonators playing some of those parts!

I could not agree more Sherry.
If you want to see some crossdressers that really look good look at most drag queens, wow!
Sorry but I think there fantastic.

CynthiaD
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
The purpose of literature, movies, and television is to give us entertaining stories about interesting characters. CDing in itself just isn't that interesting except to other CDs. I would like to see more CD good guys, but the characters would have to be interesting in other ways to make a good story

Eryn
08-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Is it just ME?

That's a problem. If you're going to write a crossdresser into your script with the crossdressing as a significant plot point then you have to make sure that your audience (even the densest 10%) knows that the character is a crossdresser. Make the character too passable and you'll end up with half the audience going "what?" and missing the point entirely.

I can think of a some portrayals where the crossdresser presented very convincingly and the plot point was the unveiling (usually, unwigging!) at the climax of the story. The audience is supposed to be as surprised as the other characters in the script.

One that I'm thinking of (and the title escapes me) was a TV show where the Hero engages in hand-to-hand combat with the female criminal. Of course the Hero is chivalrous and won't hit a woman so he is being trashed with her martial arts techniques. In the course of the fight she is outed by her wig being removed and suddenly the Hero gets serious with his fighting, knocking the outed CDer unconscious. That seems to be a fairly typical plotline.

Of course, in this context, CDing was not as we consider it. It was simply a disguise put on by the criminal to evade capture.

In The World's Fastest Indian, the character of Tina was done very well. She was on the edge of passability and would have passed easily in a real-life encounter. The movie audience examining her more closely for a longer time will shortly realize her true gender, while the main character in the film (a bit of a bumpkin) does not until she outs herself and even then doesn't really believe that she is not a GG.

Eryn

t-girlxsophie
08-21-2011, 09:12 PM
You speak for yourself Suzi, there's nothing in my closet I'm frightened of !!

Dont know about that Gina,I've got a few truly horrific looking outfits in my closet:)

Sophie

JamieG
08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree 100%. that was one of the most amazing series of books I have ever read.

I'll third that! The Dark Tower books are gripping story telling that also provide a commentary on the entire creative process. Simply amazing! Even my wife, who was an English major and is not a big Stephen King fan, loves them.

joank
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
I'm not a fan of S. King or his writings. Give me Tom Clancy anyday.

Eryn
08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm not a fan of S. King or his writings. Give me Tom Clancy anyday.

Well, make that early Tom Clancy and I'll agree with you...