PDA

View Full Version : No more secrets

Intertwined
08-21-2011, 10:50 AM
My wife is not in a good emotional state of mind right now.

It’s not just my CD, its bills going up, income going down, issues with her prosthesis, and health issues with our daughter.

When it comes to the CD, she seems most bothered, right now anyway, by people that do not know I CD, but have gotten some sort of clue or hint, and then ask her about me. She tells them that they have to ask me.

Some of my friends and a few of my family and all my co-workers know I CD. I believe my wife wants me to come out to everyone, I think she believes that one, the questions then would be directed towards me not her, and two, it would relieve the stress for her, of which friends and family are going to stop being friends and family if they find out. Get it over with so to speak.

Now of course, I am hoping to sit down with her today, and make sure that this is what she wants me to do. I will not take this step without clarifying it with my wife and daughter.

I have prepared a letter that I will e-mail to those that have e-mail, ground mail the others, and probably delete my Marsha Facebook page, and do a short status update on my Marshall page, and place CD in my interests in the profile.

+ + The Letter (still fine tuning) + +

I would like to share something with you about my life because it is important to me that you know this.

I have only shared this with a few family and friends thus far, but I think the time has come that everyone should know this.

I am what most call “a cross dresser”, I prefer “genderqueer” or “androgynous”.

I am sorry for not sharing this part of my life with you sooner. For years I have thought about letting everyone know this, but, I had to learn to accept myself first. I had to learn that it is okay to be who I am. I had to think about how best to let everyone know this because I was afraid that I would lose the support of family and friends.

The reason I am choosing this time is because, by not letting everyone know, I have put my family and friends that do know, in a difficult situation, especially when they are asked questions about me, by people who do not know I am androgynous.

This is not a recent thing for me, I have been this way since as early as 8 years old, and possibly sooner.

No, I am not gay, that is usually the first wrong assumption.

No, I do not want to be a woman, nor do I even want to look like a woman. What makes me most comfortable is mixing the masculine and feminine looks to come up with my own unique look. This unique look matches my “Gender Identity”, how I feel inside. My gender identity is not fully male, neither is it fully female, I feel equally both.

I am the same person you have always known, I am just being honest with you about how I feel about myself.

If you have questions about me and who or what I am, please ask me! The worst thing anyone could do is to make assumptions, or to ask someone else questions about me. I am the best source of information about myself, and as many of my friends and family will attest, I will not hesitate telling all about myself when asked.

Sara Jessica
08-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I think that is pretty well written, done with much less haste along with much forethought than the one you put together the other day. And it seems you took a bit of advice from these pages. Best of luck to you!!! :)

Intertwined
08-21-2011, 12:33 PM
And it seems you took a bit of advice from these pages. Best of luck to you!!! :)

Thank you very much Sara, (long time no see). This is a big step, my Aunt's daughter messaged me on Facebook yesterday, saying my Aunt needed to speak with me and to please give her a call, she is the relative that i feel closest to, outside of my own house of course.

The phone conversation went for about an hour, she was concerned about me and my wife and daughter, and said no matter what, she loved us.

I wanted to run it by my friends on the forum here, we are after all, the experts, so to speak.

I have been looking at the letter about once an hour since writting it yesterday, everytime, tweeking it a bit more, I am not real good with words or expressing myself.

Cynthia Anne
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I think this is a fine job of expressing yourself! I'm sure you don't exspect 100% enceptance in this but I'm sure the ones who count the most will be fine with it! Best wishes to you and yours!

sissystephanie
08-21-2011, 04:23 PM
This may be too late, but here goes! I can think of only one thing that I would change in your letter! I would advice you to not use the term "genderqueer" under any circumstances! The very term denotes strange happenings and also frequently arouses bad feelings in people!! If you don't like the term crossdresser, which is very analytical and true, then use the term androgynous, which doesn't say much of anything!! Best of luck to you!!

Intertwined
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Stephanie, thank you, and its not too late, still have not had a chance to speak to family, Wife is out on a bicycle ride, and daughter is ill..., hoping for later this afternoon to talk to family, if not, will have to be later in week, being I work 8 hours a day, and 3 hour 33 mile commute to work on bicycle.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Smiles, take care and I would put it away for a day or two and come back to it. I feel it is important to read what one writes in all frames of mind although answering postings here can fill one with emotions that over ride what one is really trying to say.

Relax, breathe in and out slowly and connect within yourself and to yourself you are true. Take care and we are thinking of you. Avoid hasty decisions, I know it is very hard to do this especially if your emotions are roller coasting. Times like these I used to love going for a surf. Sitting out back of a break and syncing with the oceans heart beat meditating made me feel at one within myself and contented within my mind.

Kaz
08-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Agree about 'genderqueer', though the context might fit your audience... I'd go for gender challenged if you have to refer to this...

Really feeling for you... it's a tough call! In my book, we all have 'stuff' we have/want/need to deal with... but there are times when we need to stand up and do the right thing for all concerned. Sometimes those calls are tough... but we generally live through it and grow through the process.

Take Care!

Jamie001
08-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Intertwined,

I identify almost the same as you, however I believe that my brain is 75 percent female and 25 percent male. I present as a feminine male. I would not use the term GenderQueer or GenderChallenged because they imply that you have a problem which you do not have a problem. You simply do not believe the the Gender Binary that society forces on most of us. It is ok for a girl to be a tomboy, but there is no equivalent for a boy that is comfortable being feminine. It is society's problem and not you problem. Please understand this. You are not broken, society is broken.

larry07
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Good letter, Intertwined. I wish you well. I have thought about coming out in a similar way but not ready yet.

Jenny Doolittle
08-22-2011, 08:57 AM
I prefer the term "Bi-Gendered" refering to the fact that I am neither all female nor all male but a combination of both and I enjoy reflecting both at times.

I feel that it is different for all of us to to be truthful with family, friends and associates, but I wonder if there is a need to tell everyone that knows me all the intimate details of my personal life. Facebook is for me just to big stage to make the anouncement.

Intertwined
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Sat down with my SO, I do not know if my assumption of what she wanted was wrong, or, she just did not want to talk about it, she said she didn't care if I sent out a "coming out" letter.

This evening, I sent the letter via e-mail to SOME, of my closest relatives...

I will let you know what happens...

ADDED

I did a lot more fine tuning to the letter, and took your advice and removed "Genderqueer"

Jill Devine
08-31-2011, 06:41 AM
Good letter! I would advise anyone coming out to do a letter. You can word it carefully and you deliver a consistent message. Much less chance of being misunderstood. I did it many years ago and it worked like a charm.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom.

kimdl93
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
I understand that your wife is perhaps ambivalent about this announcement. On the one hand, she may from time to time have to field questions that she would rather you answer. On the otherhand, it sounds like there's a lot going on in both your lives right now - and your CDing may not be her #1 concern. Beware of reading too much into her comments - one way or the other, and concentrate on resolving the larger issues you both are facing.

That initial email is, perhaps, an appropriate compromise. I think its a good idea to limit the initial distribution to close friends/relatives, rather than using Facebook. Once something gets into Facebook, it can easily take on a life of its own and reach proportions that you never intended.

I am hopeful that those receiving it will appreciate your consideration and frankness.

linda allen
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Good letter! I would advise anyone coming out to do a letter. You can word it carefully and you deliver a consistent message. Much less chance of being misunderstood. I did it many years ago and it worked like a charm.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom.

If you're going to put anything in writing, especially in an e-mail or on the Internet, be sure it is what you want to say and what you really mean. This stuff never goes away and can be copied and posted elsewhere. If you want everyone in the world to know you are a CDer, go ahead. If there's a single person you want to keep it from, don't put it out there.

Intertwined
09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Posted the updated coming out letter to my Facebook wall this morning....

So far, good responses, here is one from one of my blood family from back east that I have never met in person.

thank you for sharing, I know how hard that was for you, I'm
Proud of you and to call you family, can't wait to meet you in person one day!

erickka
09-21-2011, 05:58 AM
It sounds to me like you have your life well balanced and quite in order. I can only say good luck, and may everything turn out well, and life become less stressful and complicated (for all those involved) in the near future.