PDA

View Full Version : "Crossdresser" I would like your input on a better description of who we really are.

Rebecca W.
08-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Is there a better way to describe who we are to the general public? When someone asks why you are dressing as a woman, is there a better word for it? It was on my mind this morning and would like to hear from all of you women out there.:)

DAVIDA
08-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Well, I think that the term "crossdresser, pretty much tells it all.
I was never fond of the term "transvestite".
I also am NOT a woman.:doh:
I wear the clothes that women wear.:thumbsup:

Becca25
08-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Expressing your feminine side instead of being a "maniac girl jerk" like other "anti-feminisation guys". The balanche of sex as been inversed! Girl wer wearing boy stuff in the past, now its the other way around.

Karren H
08-22-2011, 05:47 AM
I think of myself as a Pretty Pervert!! lol. :D

noeleena
08-22-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi.

Thats one ? that i was never asked . tho our three grown up adults no dought would heve prefered that to being who i am as a woman. & Jos allso. would no dought saved a lot of heartache .

The ? i have & do have is , are you a boy or girl. i tell them im both. so for them to understand i tell them simperly i was a boy & now im a girl.

intersexed to those who understand what it means.

many children like to find out so they are more than wellcome to ask me.

To your answer. in to days thinking yes its about dressing in womens clothes yet go back & have a look at Renaissance time 1400 to 1700. who wore make up tights dress's & the very colourfull colours , high heeled shoes do i need to go on ,

nothing was thought of that then , why now, oh for got a few 100 years of fashon by who. money makers .

what was normal then is only not normal now because of western thinking there in lies the problem other wise we would not even use the word crosdresser, a scot wears a skirt he's not a dresser. ooops kilt.. he he ...accepted over 2000 years ago.
well im a scot & none of my clan would even think about it , perception in reguard to the people of the times.

...noeleena...

diannecourtney
08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
No need for such a question. The answer is who one wants to be! I for one started late in life but I sure do like the feel of the feminine shape and the transformation the gaff makes, it was 20 years late. Any who, just enjoy the opportunity not many people have it.

Gillian Gigs
08-22-2011, 10:51 AM
There are problems with using the term transgendered. It is good for those to whom it applies, but it doesn't cover the guy who loves to dress up for awhile, and then go back to being a guy. Medical science uses a term called bi-polar disorder to talk about individuals that suffer from emotional extremes in there lives. We need something like bi-beau/belle to express ourselves. Beau being the male word for beautiful and belle being the female form of beautiful within the French language. That about sums it up, as CD'er likes to have times of looking beautiful in male mode and at times look beautiful in female mode. Most of us are hetrosexuals who like to be belle sometimes and most of the time beau. The fashion would love to get on to this, as they would sell more clothing.

Anne2345
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
"Gender liberated," perhaps? Which would make non-CDers "gender challenged." Poor non-CDers . . . . They have no idea what they are missing out on! :)

Miss Maxine
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
My friends and my girlfriend are fond of the word "tranny." I know, to some, it is considered derogatory. This actually only encourages me to use it, more. Words are only as meaningful as the meaning we assign to them. So, if I take a word that is considered hateful, and use it as a term of endearment; it loses it's teeth. I also like the word for it's generic versatility. The word basically turns "trans" into a noun. Tranny can refer to just about anything or anyone making any sort of transition. It is transvestive, transgender, transsexual, and, amongst mechanics, transmission. ^_~

Andi.Devine
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I believe that crossdresser has a wide range of meanings depending on the individual. I would more closely associate myself with the description that Gillian expressed. Which from reading through many of the post on this forum, that is a long way from how others would describe themselves when referring to crossdressing.

Princess Chantal
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
"why you are dressing as a woman"
-
"To compliment my ever so sexy walk"
:heehee:

Sheren Kelly
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Ultimately, we are all unique, so no label will fit everyone.

When I grew up, the term "sissy" had a bit of a different connotation, that being a feminine boy/man (as opposed to the more extreme image that is common today). I recently was also grasping for a term to define a male who would prefer to live as a female. "Non-Op Transsexual" or "transgenderist" seem common, but the term I cam up with was "Sister male". I just don't think it will catch on.

Of course the Native Americans had their own terms as well. Navajo used the term "Wintech" (sp?)

Samantha43
08-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm just a dude that likes to dress in feminine clothing on occasion. The term "crossdresser" works fine for me.

Dawn cd
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
I know what you mean, Rebecca. There's something superficial in the word "crossdresser," as if we only change our outer layers. It doesn't give voice to the deeper need. Even the for people like me who underdress or only partly dress, this activity is a kind of rebellion against the male stereotype. I am a softer and more femme man--all the time, whether I'm dressed or not. So I would like a word that embraces the larger experience. Transgender would be my choice.

Cynthia Anne
08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
"Gender liberated," perhaps? Which would make non-CDers "gender challenged." Poor non-CDers . . . . They have no idea what they are missing out on! :)

I like that! Now who's got the problem! Hugs!

NathalieX66
08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Crossdresser is fine with me.
transgender is fine with me too....I'm that too.

A while back ago, I responded to a post on another forum, maybe it was on facebook , I can't remember, but a transsexual vented out how she didn't like how crossdressers identified as transgender, as if transgender was only inclusive of transsexual people only.

I responded back that "transsexuals have their own label: it's 'transsexual'. Maybe you don't like the sound of the word, but it is what it is. Transgender is an umbrella term that applies to us all".

VioletJourney
08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
I try to avoid the whole "I am" mentality, I'd rather tell people "I like to wear high heels and skirts and makeup and stuff, it's pretty fun".

Katira
08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
This is a very interesting thought. Probably, for most of us here, we have had the tendency to have a feminine trate in each of us, overtaking the male side of us, and probably has been with us since birth. It really is not any difference as women dressing in male atire, only with real booobs, which we should have had. LOL

diannecourtney
08-23-2011, 03:30 AM
I like Viollet Journey's answer best of all, it tells us as it is!!!

Kaz
08-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Agree with Violet on this too. I don't think in terms of 'dressing' because for me it is deeper/broader than that. I 'transform' when I do the whole thing... wig, make-up etc... When I am in true Kaz mode I guess I am an illusionist... but that doesn't work either... hell, I am who I am... I do what I do... and I happen to like wearing certain clothes and feeling good!

eluuzion
08-23-2011, 04:16 AM
I consider myself to be a

"Human Cosmetic Configuration Orchestrator" :D

...but just like most pets, I will come for anybody that whistles at me...:heehee:

:love:

Cynthia Anne
08-23-2011, 04:50 AM
I consider myself to be a

"Human Cosmetic Configuration Orchestrator" :D

...but just like most pets, I will come for anybody that whistles at me...:heehee:

:love:

I whistle and I whistle! But it's never heard! I guess it's just an eluuzion!:hugs::D

BLUE ORCHID
08-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi, Rebecca, It's just doing your own thing it feels good and I enjoy it don't need any labels.

Orchid

krissy
08-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Kaz hit it right on the money .you sure got that right,im the same way when i dress.
:battingeyelashes:

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
08-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Karen;
Is that pervert or prevert? They are the same yet different in timing.

Gillian Gigs
08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
I love that comment that Samantha43 said, " I'm just a dude that likes to dress in feminine clothing on occasion". The term "dude" was orginally used in place of calling someone a "dandy". By defination, a dandy was, a man unduly devoted to smartness and fashion in dress, etc. Or how about smartness and fashion "in a" dress!!!! Maybe that might give you a snicker next time you hear some guy say, "hey Dude" to his friend.

Taylor Skyrim
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM

:heehee:(hysterical laughing) :heehee:
I will have to go with Anne on this one because it does make sense.

TGMarla
08-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Crossdressing allows me to present as the woman I might have been. I have elements of both the masculine and the feminine within me. Both like to manifest themselves from time to time.

I guess I'm a "Gender Blender".

(Hey, now I want a Margarita!)

ReineD
08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
If you see yourself totally as a guy who enjoys putting on women's clothes because you like the feel of them, or even if it is sexual, and while you are dressed your fundamental gender ID is still as a guy, then I'd say the term "crossdresser" applies.

But, if your gender ID fluctuates or you do feel a combination male/female, then "transgender" is an adequate description for the unknowing masses, although it is also an umbrella term for everyone else too including the CDs and the TSs. There are better terms to identify someone who knows they are not purely a CD or a TS, and this is "bigender" (alternating male/female gender), or "dualgender" (feeling a constant mix of the two, with one or the other coming to the forefront at any given time).

I don't understand why more people have not embraced this more accurate way of describing themselves to others, but, to each his or her own. :p

The people who feel they do more than CD and question whether or not they are TS ... the people who are not comfortable with a dual gender identity and feel their only choice is to be one or the other but don't know what they are, prefer to use the term "transgender" as an in-between descriptor and this tends to be confusing because the term "TG" does include everyone who crosses gender boundaries in some way. So, if people are wondering whether or not they may be TS, a better description for them within the community (not necessarily for the unknowing masses) is "TSQ" (transsexual questioning). I'm guessing maybe this term isn't used because any term that has "TS" in it is scary for someone who is not ready to know where they are going with this?

sissystephanie
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM
The question was; "Crossdresser" I would like your input on a better description of who we really are?

The answer is very simple, we all are Crossdressers!! The only time some other word is needed is if the crossdresser does more than just wear feminine clothing. For instance, lives as a woman or some other act like that. Those people of course should not be called just crossdressers! But a great many crossdressers do as I do, which is wear feminine clothing on occasion for fun!! Those of us who do that are Crossdressers, plain and simple!! No other term is needed!!

donnalee
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM
"Crossdresser" does not have the negative connotations of other terms. There has been a lot of discussion and it seems the majority believe that we fit in the "Transgendered" category as well. Personally, I don't like labels that much, but they are convenient and save explaining oneself at length to others. Frankly, you can call yourself whatever you wish; post it here and others may take it up.

Kristy_K
08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Crossdressing allows me to present as the woman I might have been. I have elements of both the masculine and the feminine within me. Both like to manifest themselves from time to time.

I guess I'm a "Gender Blender".

I like that one

Stephenie S
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
I like Karren's "Pretty Pervert"

S

TGMarla
08-23-2011, 09:22 PM
There are better terms to identify someone who knows they are not purely a CD or a TS, and this is "bigender"

"Bigender"???? Who you sayin' has a big end? You mean my hind end? Girl, them's fighting words!!!! Put 'em up!!!! :tongueout

ReineD
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh LOL ... I never thought of that ... Big-ender! :lol:

On the other hand, maybe this is a good thing. Don't most CDs wish they had a bigger a$$? :D :D :D

juno
08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Well, it all depends what you me by "we". Crossdresser is a good term to describe a person who wears clothes associated with the other gender, regardless of whether it is a fetish, an expression of a transgender self, or just having fun for Halloween. It is not a description of a person, but an activity. It is really less of a "label" than many gender terms. So, my opinion is that it is a nice non-judgmental description of a diverse group of people. Understanding why a person makes that choice is more personal, and shouldn't matter.

Anne2345
08-23-2011, 10:57 PM

On the other hand, maybe this is a good thing. Don't most CDs wish they had a bigger a$$? :D :D :D

OMG, Reine!!! I did not see this type of response coming from you! I love it! And, uh, yeah, I do wish I had a bigger a$$ . . . . :heehee:

Duana
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm a crossdresser and that is how I respond when asked. If asked why, I say because I like it. What more needs to be said? And why complicate things?

the curious thing for me, in this thread, is people responding who will NEVER be asked the question by the "general public".

ReineD
08-24-2011, 01:26 AM
OMG, Reine!!! I did not see this type of response coming from you! I love it! And, uh, yeah, I do wish I had a bigger a$$ . . . . :heehee:

*shock* :eek:

My kids tell me the same thing when they hear me use a descriptive word. lol. Maybe I need to let my hair down more often. :D

SweetIonis
08-24-2011, 01:46 AM

I don't wish it, I got it. Mine is so big, it will make a lazy man cut my grass, make a poor man pay for my eyebrows, fingernails and pedicure!!! It's so sweet it will make you swim the widest ocean, climb the highest mountian, walk on water, and raise you from the dead!!!!!:D:D:D

ReineD
08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
I don't wish it, I got it. Mine is so big, it will make a lazy man cut my grass, make a poor man pay for my eyebrows, fingernails and pedicure!!! It's so sweet it will make you swim the widest ocean, climb the highest mountian, walk on water, and raise you from the dead!!!!!:D:D:D

LOL. If you can find such a man, ask him if he has a brother! :D

... not for me, of course, since I'm happy with my SO ... but for my kid sister. ;)

SweetIonis
08-24-2011, 02:09 AM
LOL. If you can find such a man, ask him if he has a brother! :D

... not for me, of course, since I'm happy with my SO ... but for my kid sister. ;)

Kid sista??? Hmmmmmmmm......

I need asl, photo, and contact information. I'll see what I can do!!!!!:D:D

Rebecca W.
08-24-2011, 04:19 AM
If you see yourself totally as a guy who enjoys putting on women's clothes because you like the feel of them, or even if it is sexual, and while you are dressed your fundamental gender ID is still as a guy, then I'd say the term "crossdresser" applies.

But, if your gender ID fluctuates or you do feel a combination male/female, then "transgender" is an adequate description for the unknowing masses, although it is also an umbrella term for everyone else too including the CDs and the TSs. There are better terms to identify someone who knows they are not purely a CD or a TS, and this is "bigender" (alternating male/female gender), or "dualgender" (feeling a constant mix of the two, with one or the other coming to the forefront at any given time).

I don't understand why more people have not embraced this more accurate way of describing themselves to others, but, to each his or her own. :p

All of the responses on here have been wonderful and some, like this one from Reine is a perfect answer to help define that fine line of "gender". I also had a nice, similar answer from one of my friends in a private message. I want to hear from all of you on your feelings and thoughts on my question. Dont be shy, I used to be until I joined this forum. It has changed how I view myself in this challenging world of self expression and the dividing line in society for "gender identity. So be it that I prefer to do things not in the common , so-called "normal" gender specific way. To me, a "real" man or a woman is a person that can express themselves without a pre-defined gender border or limits and live life, simply as a person.
There is not a specific term (pun)to describe how much I appreciate all of the support on this forum, it has truly changed my life for the better.

Rebecca:)

Frédérique
08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Is there a better way to describe who we are to the general public?

How about "human being"? :)

Yazna
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Crossdresser is for me a very simple way to described that what we are...Because I'm not a Woman...but i love to wear women clothes from time to time all depend of my Libido and no only that when I'm dressing as a Woman...a Lovely sensation of Feminine feeling come out from deep inside of me...My Soul perhaps...and I love it very much!

kimdl93
08-24-2011, 01:42 PM

How about a CD-BG-TSQ human being?

charlie
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Hello Rebecca!
I am always at a loss to say why I dress. I love being a man and doing my best to be a woman on occasion. Personally, I believe that all of us are indeed crossdressers....but also transgendered to some degree.

SweetIonis
08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
when I'm dressing as a Woman...a Lovely sensation of Feminine feeling come out from deep inside of me

ME TOO!!! :)

I have been wondering for some time now on the background of your avatar and profile picture!!! They are so Sweet Polly Purebread, Pure!!!!! :heehee:

What I was thinking was that we need a rating system along with labels and cards that we could carry around or put in our personal profile. It would work like this.

Crossdresser Type: M2F or F2M
Gender ID: Male or Female or Dual gender
Dual Gender Male Rating: choose on scale from 1 to 9 (nine being the highest)
Dual Gender Female Rating: choose on scale from 1 to 9 (nine being the highest)

Note on Dual Gender Rating: This would apply only for persons who choose Dual Gender for Gender ID. The sum of the Male Rating plus the Female rating MUST equal 10. So if you chose five for female your male would be five. If you chose seven for female your male would be three, etc.

HAHA!!!!!!

Annaliese2010
08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Welllll.....when sum one asks I just say...........Nothing. Absolutely Nothing! Instead I just........... Smile :)

SweetIonis
08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
I ain't gotta say nothing, If you get me down to my panties, no words or description will be necessary!!!! U will definitely know what I am!!!!!! I guarantee it!!!!!!! :D:D

Rebecca W.
08-25-2011, 03:56 AM

So very true:)
All of these labels, terms and explanations. In the end we are all human beings, period. Just be yourself and live life as a human being.
Thank you Frédérique.

Rebecca

sometimes_miss
08-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh come on, Karren, please don't ever feed the nutcases out there by ever admitting to defining yourself as a pervert.

donnalee
08-26-2011, 04:11 AM
Welllll.....when sum one asks I just say...........Nothing. Absolutely Nothing! Instead I just........... Smile :)Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

NicoleScott
08-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Generally, labels are good.

"I was mugged last night".
"Can you give me a description?"
"It was a human being."
"Thanks. That helps a lot."

We probably could use a few more labels here, and come to some sort of agreement on what they mean. We can't even agree on the definitions of transgender, crossdresser, closet, transvestite, etc. I think using a label for ourselves when we post helps others know our point of view. For example, I often use "pleasure dresser" for myself, and that helps people understand that I'm not an "identity dresser". It may be that what I post would make no sense from/to a cd with an internal femme identity, but more sense from/to someone who dresses for pleasure.
No wonder many people in the general public think we're all the same: CD, TS, TG, TV, gay, bi, dual-gender ...etc.

Nesreen
08-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Explaining why we do this to someone who might be curious is different than giving a label to us for the general public to use.

If someone asks me why I do this I would explain that I can't help it. It just comes naturally. I really dislike being labelled as anything, specially by the general public. I am fine with the term Crossdresser because that's what I do, I cross dress! which makes it accurate enough for most of us.