PDA

View Full Version : Today's the day!

Zoe Michelle
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I am finally starting HRT today. Endo prescribed me premarin. In three months, he's putting me on a testosterone inhibitor, and three months after that, progesterone. I'm so excited to finally be starting out! And I'm eager to see if my breasts will start to develop by my next appointment.

Melody Moore
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Well first of all Congratulations! :hugs:

But Premarin? and then 3 months later an anti-androgen? and then another 3 months then Progesterone?
Sorry, but I have to question how experienced is this endo in managing Hormone Therapy for transsexuals.
Because this is the first time I have ever heard of managing hormones therapy this way.

Zoe Michelle
08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Well my gender therapist highly recommended him. He's worked with quite a few transsexuals. He said he wants to ease my body into everything slowly. May start me on the progesterone at the same time as the anti-androgen.

And is there anything wrong with premarin?

Melody Moore
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
My only issue with Premarin is how they keep the mares pregnant and living in squalid conditions & are
neglected to produce the stuff. For this reason many people including myself have boycotted the product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8i4NUNWkBA

Aprilrain
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I take Premarian, there is the whole horse thing if that bothers you. Also my esterone is really high. I don't know if that is good or bad but i do know that Estradiol is preferable because it is more potent. The other problem with Premarian is there is really no way to test your blood estrogen levels because although Premarian contains estradiol it also contains a bunch of other estrogens, one is esterone which they can test for but the rest they can't. One advantage to Premarian is that a lot of it sorta bypasses the body's natural reaction to an increase in estrogen which is to convert it in to either cholesterol or testosterone! There is anecdotal evidence that it helps grow breast better. All in all I'd say estradiol will get a person where she wants to be with less potential side effects. I really can't say if this is from the premarian or what but I was really emotional for a while, a total roller coaster wreak!, but not to long after i started taking Premarian with my estradiol I really seemed to even out. Maybe its because i have the hormones of an old woman. lol

BreenaDion
08-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Premarian is the starter doze most qualified Endro's use with Spironolactone as a T blocker. This for 3 months to see how your body reacts to the HRT. If you have no belly pain from the Premarin then in 3 month they should double both meds.
One adverse evect from premarin is ring worm which will start on ur belly area just under your naval. After 6 months they should determine how your body is doing with all the other numbers., sugar, vit. D cholesterol and others. I have my magnesium and potassium levels checked also because of my extreme exercising.
Breena.

Zoe Michelle
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Well, if what you say about the horses is true, then that really is a shame. However, this is what my endo prescribed me, so I will take it.

That aside , I am so excited about finally getting started. Thanks for the congrats everyone! I'll keep everyone posted on how things move along.

CharleneT
08-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Congrats, it is a very exciting time !

Try a search of the forums for a lot of discussions of Premarin. It was the "go to" med for transitioning MTF's for many years. Lately EV is much more commonly used. One disadvantage that has not been mentioned is that Premarin is the most expensive oral estrogen product. Depending on which progesterone, or progestin your endo suggests later, you might end up with pretty big med bills.