PDA

View Full Version : Too good not to pass on

Wendy_Marie
08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I know, I know, I swore that I wasn't going to post every little thing that happened to me over the next few weeks while my wife is out of town...but this one was too good not to pass along.

My oldest daughter has been stuck out of town for the last month after her car blew a head gasket in St. Louis....She got back in late last night and so I wasn't able to see the one year old Grandson before his bedtime. I was disappointed to put it mildly.

This morning I was putting the finishing touches on my make up as i was running behind getting out the door to go and meet my new Therapist when the door bell rings at there is my daughter and the Grandson.

Since I couldn't leave them out on the stoop I went ahead and opened the door and let them in and went quickly to finish getting ready...Now the daughter knows and has been very supportive saying that she wasn't ready to meet me as Wendy yet....this morning things took a turn for the better as she walked right in to where I was applying my lipstick and handed me the baby and says here's Kellogg <---(Kellogg or fruit Loop is the nicknames I gave him which Kellogg seems to have stuck...Poor Kid.)

Anyway the baby looks at me for a minute and acts like he wants down so I pursed my lips and made this sound that I always make to get his attention...he smiles really big, lays his head on my shoulder and I began to tear up as it was so apparent that he recognized me thorugh all the outer trappings.

I put down the lipstick I had been applying, and had to play with this kiddo for a few minutes before finally having no choice but to leave for my appointment...I did make his Momma promise to bring him back around by a little later...which she did and they just since left.

Kellogg and I use to always take at least one jaunt around the yard every time when he came over and this evening was no exception....the only difference there seemed to be between us was this time I was wearing my clothes...my real clothes, make up and a wig and this kiddo didn't care in the least....

I was on cloud nine strolling around the yard with my Grandson in my arms teaching him to say "Tree" and "Leaves" hopefully building the first of many great memories for the future and not caring a bit if the neighbors or anyone else saw me....as my own Dad use to say.."I was happier than a hog with a mouthful full of acorns."

It's a great feeling for me finally knowing where I belong in the grand scheme of things...and I still can't get this smile off my face....not that I am trying!

Danni Renee
08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
WOW! Reading this brightened my entire day! And I bet there will be less stress when your daughter and grandson come around when you are dressed now too!

Joann Smith
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
thats a great story.... thats the one thing i love about grandkids ....the love you no matter what and could care less how you look ...

AllieSF
08-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks Wendy you were right. Too good not to pass along. Little moments like that seem to make a lot of other not so nice things fade away. Thanks for sharing.

Denise Shelly
08-24-2011, 06:49 PM
bravo for you. A very happy day

Kaz
08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Awesome, Wendy! I also have a small grandchild and I can relate completely to this, although I am not 'out'... makes me wish I had the courage to do it... Small kids see things differently...

Danielle.N
08-24-2011, 07:29 PM
That is a great update Wendy, thanks for sharing it! The only people in my family that have not seen me as Danielle are my niece and nephew - well he is just a few months old, but she is 3 now. I wonder so much about how it would be for her, but I'm just not ready for it yet.

Cynthia Anne
08-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Thank you Wendy Marie for the sweet story! Now I can go to bed with a happy thought in my mind! Hugs!

docrobbysherry
08-25-2011, 12:11 AM
THanks for that, Wendy! Since I became a grand dad last week, I'll remember your experience for the future!

Now, if only the dog wouldn't run and hide when Sherry enters the room-------?

Katie83
08-25-2011, 08:42 AM
It's so nice to hear reports of accepting family members and progress. Thanks for sharing. Katie.

boardpuppy
08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
HI Wendy, its so nice to hear you had a wonderful time with the Grand, maybe this is what you needed to break the ice with your daughter also. I know little things like this are momentus when they happen and should be journeled but we enjoy sharing your happiness as they happpen also.
Alice

Wendy_Marie
08-25-2011, 09:01 AM
That is a great update Wendy, thanks for sharing it! The only people in my family that have not seen me as Danielle are my niece and nephew - well he is just a few months old, but she is 3 now. I wonder so much about how it would be for her, but I'm just not ready for it yet.

Danielle,
dealing with a preschooler myself right now as well...I also have a 4-year old Grandson who spend so much time around me...we are insperable and it's funny that I fear him more than anything else I have accomplished.

I am taking the desensitizing approach with him. (Yes his Mother knows of my dressing and we have talked briefly about my presenting in front of him.)

Of course what I mean by desensitizing is moving slowly letting him know only so much at a time and adding a bit more with each and every visit I have. Then stepping backand allowing him to acclimate before judging his reactions and then moving on or in a different direction at his level of comfort.

This aspect of my "Coming Out" is what has me continuing with my therapy now as I am trying to take the right approach and use the her as a sounding board for feedback and guidence.

This only started last week when Grandson number 1 was spending the night and he stepped on my house shoe and pulled it off my foot...he looked down as I quickly tried to hide my brightly colored toes. He didn't say anything and I let it go until later we were watching an episode of a cartoon called the Amazing World of Gumball.

Gumball is a male cat and the star of the program...and on the one titled "The Dress" Gumball's father washes all the laundry and destroys gumballs clothes...Since Gumball can't go to school naked his dad searches and all he can find for Gumball to wear is his wifes Wedding dress. hilarity ensues.

We were sitting there watching all this unfold on television and the Grandson say's to me..."Pop, why do you have sparkly stuff on your toes?" I tried to make a joke and so I said to him..."Because it would look funny if I painted my Nose." He laughed and asked me again...so I said. "Pop likes to do girly things and I like pretty colors on my toes." He responds..."Oh!"
A short time later he speaks up and says to me..."Can I touch your toes?" I ask him "Why." He answer's "Cause" I pull off my houseslipper, he touches the polished piggy and that was that.

Since then we have made a few more steps of progress, but that is for a different post.

Thanks for all the positive feedback ladies...it is much appreciated.

Sarah Doepner
08-25-2011, 10:38 AM
We were sitting there watching all this unfold on television and the Grandson say's to me..."Pop, why do you have sparly stuff on your toes?" I tried to make a joke and so I said to him..."Because it would look funny if I painted my Nose." He laughed and asked me again...so I said. "Pop likes to do girly things and I like pretty colors on my toes." He responds..."Oh!"
A short time later he speaks up and says to me..."Can I touch your toes?" I ask him "Why." He answer's "Cause" I pull off my houseslipper, he touches the polished piggy and that was that.

Wendy, that is a great response. So often we respond to kids questions with a flood of adult information that doesn't meet their needs. Your humor first and then simple explaination and open approach was perfect.