PDA

View Full Version : Small Claims Court

Heisthebride
08-25-2011, 09:23 AM
About this time last year I was excited about the wedding I was planning. I was to be the bride and my wife was going to be my groom. We were going to Las Vegas and doing it up right. Sadly, things fell through. First we had some scheduling difficulties so we postponed it until April, then my dress designer literally stopped responding to any form of communication. I never did get my custom made wedding dress, or a refund.

I am to the point of taking her to small claims court to get my deposit money back as well as a dinner dress that she was going to take in for me.

I'm not sure if its that I'm suing because of a wedding dress or if its because I'm a male suing over a wedding dress but I have been contacted by the Judge Mathis show and the Judge Judy show over this matter. They both seem to think I would be a good candidate.

I'm not going to follow this path, I don't need to share my crossdressing with the daytime television world, but I'm curious if they are seeking me out for just that reason or not.

Just curious,

Schatten Lupus
08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I would be very leery of something like that. TV court shows are real courts, but since they are on TV they also have an obligation for ratings. Personally I would avoid TV court just because there is a much higher potential for a circus to be made of a guy suing over a wedding dress that is for himself. Actually I'd avoid TV courts all together because they seem more geared towards ratings than justice. You'd most likely win, especially if you kept the receipts, but not without having more and deeper stabs taken, and it will also be out for the nation to see..

Cristi
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
TV court shows are real courts..

Not really. They have no power at all, but everybody going before them signs a contract ahead of time to comply with the judgement of the court. Usually for some 'consideration' (money, or the promise of some kind of payout if they win). Other than that, it is all a stage show.

Schatten Lupus
08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Not really. They have no power at all, but everybody going before them signs a contract ahead of time to comply with the judgement of the court. Usually for some 'consideration' (money, or the promise of some kind of payout if they win). Other than that, it is all a stage show.
That is interesting then. In that case, I would definitely avoid a TV court and go straight to a real judge.

Barbara Jo
08-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Cristi is exactly correct.
Also, any money awarded is paid via a "fund" .... the losing party does not even have to pay any judgements.

I agree that you should advoid it like the plague.
As you suspected, the producers of court shows seek out unusual and interesting cases.

Can you imagine the nararation as your case is presented and what wiil be said as the case is presented to the judge??
You CDing will be exposed to the world in no flattering terms.

ReineD
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Can you imagine the nararation as your case is presented and what wiil be said as the case is presented to the judge??

I like to think this might be a great opportunity to educate the public, if the TG in question is unapologetic, charismatic, and articulate. But, I doubt the general audience is open to education and most people watching likely will not be willing to let go of their prejudice, although a few might.

Cynthia Anne
08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
I have to agree with Reine on this! Sure you will get the money! But can you except what comes with it! Myself I would jump at the chance to 'educate' even if just a few! Hugs!

Barbara Jo
08-25-2011, 11:06 AM
"Jack Gadell" in the "China Syndrome" movie comes to mind.
One might think they can educate the publc in unusual situations while ad- libbing but, they often present themselves (and thier cause) in less then desirable ways.

Stephanie47
08-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I'd forget the TV show. You'll have no control over the situation and the aftermath. The producers want you because of the gender issues. Paying out the cost of judgement and your airfare, lodging, etc is nothing more than a cheap cost of production. And, I do not believe you will have any control over re-runs for the rest of your life or postings to the Internet. You'll have absolutely no control over when and who gets to know you're a cross-dresser. Once the show is "out there" you'll have no control. Future employer? Future friends? Current unknowing friends? Ready for a booking on Jerry Springer as a follow up?

Stick with a legitimate small claims court. The court should be considering only the facts of the case. It doesn't matter who was going to wear the dress.

Stephenie S
08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Just to correct a small bit of confusion.

TV court shows are real, and legal. But it is NOT court. It's arbitration. Everyone entering arbitration has to sign that they will abide be the arbitrator's decision. But it's quite legal. And the fund that BOTH are paid from is supplied by the show itself (and, of course, the advertisers).

I agree with the others. I would stay away.

Stephie

sometimes_miss
08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post

Then Reined wrote: I like to think this might be a great opportunity to educate the public, if the TG in question is unapologetic, charismatic, and articulate. But, I doubt the general audience is open to education and most people watching likely will not be willing to let go of their prejudice, although a few might.
I agree. Most of the people watching those shows do so for entertainment reasons, same as the Jerry Springer audiences. They're not looking for education. The whole reason you're being an interest is because they get to put a crossdresser on their show. Remember, it's all about ratings, the show exists to make money for the company, not to help people.

Schatten Lupus
08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I doubt in such an environment any education would be possible. The producers don't want sympathy, they want ratings. And even if you were to present yourself in a very professional, very articulate manner, any half-way decent editor can make you seem like Jerry Springer trash. A good editor could do even worse. It's likely they will build you up, just to tear you down because that is what will bring in ratings.

Vickie_CDTV
08-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I probably wouldn't do it either, if you don't want to be outed on TV. However...

My electrolysis instructor actually appeared on an episode of "Judge Alex", and he said everything was quite professional. The show had a small trans element (the defendant was harassing him due to his connection with the trans community) but he said it was not the focus, the illegal harassment was.

There was another episode with a (gay) DQ suing to get his drag stuff back, though he was in a position where he was already out, and the publicity probably was beneficial to his career.

Diane Elizabeth
08-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Last year I had a small claim against a person over some $7500. I was contacted by letter from the Judge Mathis people about maybe presenting the case on TV. this didn't happen because the other party did not agree. They didn't even show for our court date. I did win a judgement but have not seen any money. The show did say that if I win the judgement that I would be paid right then and there. So I think they pay the judgment for the loser.

Staci G
08-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds tooooo Jerry Springerish to me. I think they would just advertise the hell out of it and make you look like a fool as best as they could. I do not watch those shows nor would I ever be on one

eluuzion
08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." Judge Judy is a classic. I like her.

"The people are real."
Well, sort of...Hollywood real anyway. The entire audience are paid "extras." That is why you often see some aspiring women in the audience (behind the litigants) looking directly into the camera like it is an audition...hoping to get "discovered", lol. Plaintiff and Defendant get $100 + $35/day. Airfare/hotel expenses are paid for litigants and their witnesses (which is why you often see friends/relatives show up as "witnesses". Free trip to LA.) Judy of course uses her private jet.

"The cases are real"
Well, sort of...Hollywood real anyway. The cases are real small claims court filings. But as mentioned, the litigants sign an arbitration waiver. That means it is a private arbitration court...overseen by Judge Judy. Judgments awards are paid by the producers and property exchanges are signed orders overseen by a sheriff/marshal.

"The Rulings are final."
Well, sort of...Hollywood real anyway. If it is included in the arbitration agreements, then yes. The arbitration agreement is binding. But there was part of one of her rulings overturned when she made a decision about custody/visitation issue which was not in the arbitration agreement. Plus she was making the decision in an arbitrator's capacity, not a Judge in public court. (although she is a real judge).

In my opinion, it is not the ideal platform, opportunity or sufficient time allotment to present anything but a superficial glance at anything "meaningful." The "judge" and producers steer the content.

But it would be kind of fun...and a free trip to LA. You could collect a few autographs and celeb photos to sell at a flea-market at home, plus the $100, plus milk the "15 minutes of fame" aspect and become a "local" celebrity at home. That might help you recover some of your "pain" and "suffering." :heehee:

There is a reason many of the production companies have the word "Entertainment" in their name...:thumbsup:

:love:

bomba
08-26-2011, 02:54 AM
give me a brack how lame

brandi
08-26-2011, 05:01 AM
When my first wife filed a restraining order against me ( bogus order at that) she received a letter from Judge Judy asking to settle the dispute on her show. I told her no way was I going to agree to that and she dropped it.

Brandi

erickka
08-26-2011, 05:42 AM
I think that those shows look to humiliate people, just as much as Jerry Springer. It is all a ratings game, and from occasionally viewing those shows, I find that there seems to have been VERY FEW self respecting people cast into any given episode. Suits of any kind like yours are somewhat of a personal matter, and if I were in your shoes, I would like to keep it that way. Good luck!

donnalee
08-26-2011, 06:38 AM
To the best of my understanding, there is a fund of the maximum small claims settlement for each case (usually $5K). The amount that is won in the suit is given to the winner; the balance is split between the participants. This amount is nickel & dime compared to the usual costs of producing a tv show, which accounts for the prevalence of "reality" shows; they're cheaper.

TGMarla
08-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Oh, I'm sure that shows like Judge Judy would love to have you on their show. A crossdressing bride suing over the dress? The show's producers probably wet themselves when they heard about it. Hey, Judge Judy would definitely rule in your favor! Millions would see you getting justice for your lost investment. And you'd be as outed as out can get.

Shows like that absolutely love the out-of-the-ordinary, and this would definitely fit the bill. Ratings, baby! It's all about the ratings. Maybe you can get in line for Jerry Springer when you're done.

I'm with you.....forgetaboutit!

Vieja
08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I watch the Judge Judy show just about every day and I would not go on that show for any amount of money.

Vieja

Barbara Jo
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
I doubt in such an environment any education would be possible. The producers don't want sympathy, they want ratings. And even if you were to present yourself in a very professional, very articulate manner, any half-way decent editor can make you seem like Jerry Springer trash. A good editor could do even worse. It's likely they will build you up, just to tear you down because that is what will bring in ratings.

Exactly.
Years ago in the 80's, I personally knew a couple of CDs who appeared on different national talk shows (like Sally Jesse Rafael) about CDing.
They were both completely trashed in editing and the copy runing at the bottom of the screens.
Both shows made them out to be some kind of weidos and the scrolling texts were untruthful.

kimmy p
08-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I have had the unfortunate experience of watching Judge Judy. Avoid her. Much of the time it is obvious that she has made up her mind before the case even starts. She tends to be one sided, mean, and a real "bear" to those she don't like.

Eryn
08-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I've a friend who works behind the cameras on court shows. After hearing his stories I'd recommend that you run, not walk, away from any offers they make.

Nicole Erin
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I watch the Judge Judy show just about every day and I would not go on that show for any amount of money.

Vieja

Not only that but it seems Judge Judy's main concern is asking people if they are on welfare or getting food stamps and belittling them if they have kids or unpaid back child support that they owe.

A real court would face discriminatio0n issues over this kind of thing. I mean if it were relevant to the case thenit could be discussed but when a man is suing over say, car repairs that he paid for but were never done then what the hell does his back child support or getting food stamps have to do with it?
It is like you lose your rights in Judy's court if you are on any kind of assistance.

As par what Kimmy said - Judy doesn;t like someone if they are on assistance, period.

Kaz
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I live in the UK and don't know the show so feel free to kick me of the playing field, but my experience of this kind of activity in the UK is that you may make some money out of a temporary celebrity status... ie people will want you as you will attract the followers you acquired on the show/court... get some guest slots on freak shows etc but that will not last long at all, and then a lot of people will know all about you and you will have a very different, and very publicly accessible life. Weigh that against the actual initial loss? It's a gamble, basically.

vetobob9
08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
About this time last year I was excited about the wedding I was planning. I was to be the bride and my wife was going to be my groom. We were going to Las Vegas and doing it up right. Sadly, things fell through. First we had some scheduling difficulties so we postponed it until April, then my dress designer literally stopped responding to any form of communication. I never did get my custom made wedding dress, or a refund.

I am to the point of taking her to small claims court to get my deposit money back as well as a dinner dress that she was going to take in for me.

I'm not sure if its that I'm suing because of a wedding dress or if its because I'm a male suing over a wedding dress but I have been contacted by the Judge Mathis show and the Judge Judy show over this matter. They both seem to think I would be a good candidate.

I'm not going to follow this path, I don't need to share my crossdressing with the daytime television world, but I'm curious if they are seeking me out for just that reason or not.

Just curious, Those are not real courts, they are television programs. The "judges" are limited to acting as mediators but their decision is not binding unless both parties agree to accept the decision made by the celebrity mediator. It's up to you if want to go this route but it is not like a real court.

Barbara Jo
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I live in the UK and don't know the show so feel free to kick me of the playing field, but my experience of this kind of activity in the UK is that you may make some money out of a temporary celebrity status... ie people will want you as you will attract the followers you acquired on the show/court... get some guest slots on freak shows etc but that will not last long at all, and then a lot of people will know all about you and you will have a very different, and very publicly accessible life. Weigh that against the actual initial loss? It's a gamble, basically.
In the US there are so many of these phony "court" shows that there is absoulutlly no celeberty status connected for appeaing on them, not even temporary
People watch them mainly to see what idiots appear on them and how much the judge will repremand them.

giuseppina
08-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I would get as far away from any television show as I could. They aren't there to help you.

docrobbysherry
08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Heis, I was contacted by a "TV Judge" show after I filed and answered a small claims action here in SoCal. Apparently, someone revues all the actions in areas where they can appear on TV easily!

I was told they would pay the "judgement" for whoever lost. I didn't go along and my tenant, my adversary in court, was REALLY PISSED! In the REAL small claims court, she won a small money judgement, but I got her evicted out of my house!

She waited until the last day of the Court Order to move. It turned out to be the hottest day of the year! And, we threw a pool party the same day to celebrate!

Cost of the judgement? $120.
The look on her and her boyfriend's faces as they sweated and were jeered by my sloshed friends around the pool? PRICELESS!

Jeannie
08-26-2011, 10:02 PM
First off remember that it is a TV show that is addicted to ratings. The more controversy the better the ratings. In other words they don't care about you and your privacy, they care about ratings. They will make you look like a fool and kick you to the curb. Don't be surprise if Jerry Springer gives you a call after you've been on the Judge shows. You are so much better than that so do yourself a very big favor and try to settle this through your local court system and keep your dignity. I hope I am not offending anyone but I think that the people that go on those shows are pathetic and in the paraphrased words of Andy Warhol they only want their 15 minutes of fame and to try top make the other person look foolish.