PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question...

Ella
10-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok, I just want to know if there's anyway of tracking what you've bought on a debit card, like is there a statement that shows where all your money has been going? It's just, I've just got a debit card and I can't wait to start buying some clothes off the internet, but I don't want anybody to see what I've been buying! At last I should get my own clothes! Sorry if this is a really stupid question and sorry if it's in the wrong section, but I honestly don't know.

Ella

Jamie M
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Your statement will more than likely state who the payment went to. If you want to more discreet try buying off ebay using paypal , then all that will appear will be PAYPAL.

HTH

Wendy me
10-11-2005, 05:45 PM
why yes you get a stament from the bank that tells what or were you bought things...like if you went to say cvs it would say cvs the date and time and how mutch but not that you bought make up or something like that...

Joanne08
10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Ella,

A bank Card is just an easy way to draw money out of your bank account. All of your purchases will be documented on the monthly statement just like checks written or money withdrawn from your account. If someone else is managing the bank account you're refering to they will definately see the stores you've been doing business with. The items won't be listed but the amounts will be.

Good luck, sweetie.

Love, Jo

Jodi
10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I have been advised by many financial people to NOT use a debit card for purchasing over the net, but to use a credit card. Credit cards are protected for the owner against fraud--you are actually liable for the first $50. A debit card has no liability limit. If your debit card number is compromised, the person can completely clean out your checking account and you have little or no recourse. You may also end up with the problem of bounced checks, if your account has been cleaned out. The recommendation of financial people is to use only a credit card for net purchases.

Jodi

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Jodi's right. Debit cards typically don't have the fraud protection that credit cards do. You can check with your bank to see if you can get this sort of protection.

Realistically, any time you do a transaction there's going to be a paper trail of some sort. Debit card purchases typically will show up on your monthly bank statements. The thing is, no one at the bank ever really reads this stuff unless there's a specific reasons to. If you're sharing an account with someone else, that's a different matter.

Lauren_T
10-11-2005, 09:46 PM
The girls are right - using debit on the Web is foolhardy...

Another alternative is a prepaid Visa card like Green Dot. You load it with money and then use it like any other Visa, but there's no paper trail...:)

jo_ann
10-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Citibank and a few other companies have a very secure software program that creates "virtual account numbers", so even if a hacker finds out the number, they can't use it because the account is only opened for that single purchase.

http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/tour/cb/shp_van.htm

HaleyPink2000
10-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Most everyone at my work uses debit cards for everyday spending and most use a Pay Pal card on the Net. Provided from a Company named " Providian ".
I have their EBAY card which is a Master card " Providian " also their Pay Pal Card which is a Visa. Never a minutes problem with Pay Pal. Just remember one thing about any card you have. Don't send anyone even if you think it is your card Company any info about you and your accounts over an E-mail. 99% of the time E-mails requesting you to confirm your info are a Hoax and someone trying to gain info about you and your accounts. From South African etc. How do I know, It did happen to me, I know " Dahhhh" !
Did not say I was the smartest person in the world, I'm just a normal person that can be led astray sometimes if the time is correct etc. But that is another story.

Yeah I love my Debit card. But you have to keep track of every spending. You can easily find out that your money is to accessible to you and over spend if you don't watch it every day. I keep every receipt and write the info in ink pen on them, cause the printing does go away with time. being thermal paper.

Ok as for buying on the web, I use my Pay Pal Card all the time. It is on my E-bay account for purchases etc. My Lane Bryant account and Roamans also.
I'd rather use Providian than any other company for a card. Yeah, they even can be reached over the phone if you have problems. No big runaround by some phone machine. Dial 1 if your in a hurry LOL.... I hate phone machines.

Girl clothes, yeah the Web is great. I am an Avid E-bay person. Before I look anyplace else I go to E-bay.

Sorry to get on my soap box, LOLOL
Sorry Tamara~ I'm just chatty, *smile*

Haley:)