PDA

View Full Version : differences between the genders

Princess29
08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
During the one conversation with the woman who cut my hair today, I noticed two things that she said that highlighted a difference between the genders.
One-When the subject got on to what she goes shopping for, what her "weakness" is and she said that she's splashed out a bit on some handbags. $800 was the most she's spent on one and I asked does she take it out as much as she can but she just said that she actually prefers to just leave it in the cupboard at home as it makes her happy just having it (I can grasp that concept) but its like having a the latest ferrari but never taking it out of the garage and never actually using it.
Or perhaps its just me?

The second thing she said during the haircut was how she pointed out my grey hairs were becoming more noticeable and how my receding hairline seemed to be receding more so she felt the need to highlight two things that I'm self conscious of. She didnt say it in a nasty way but still, she didnt need to say anything about it.
I wonder if she would say the same (or equivalent) to a female customer?

Mel

Karren H
08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't see those as female specific traits. Do not get me near a Coach store!! I love my Coach purse! And grey.... That's why I color my hair... I think men and women are not as far apart as you think... Just humans... Some with innies and some with outties!

suzy1
08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Following on from Karren. I sometimes wonder if men only seem different from women in some ways because the macho thing makes them hide that part of themselves.
And then we come along!

SUZY

noeleena
08-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi,

Yes she is correct on both counts tho not all women do the same thing . On the hair issue yes theres a difference as you'v seen a difference how we go about issue's or saying things..

Tho im thinking she said that because she was thinking you may have not notised. & thought you may like to use some colour.

If we see some thing that may be out of place = say your tag is showing many times we will just fix it for the other woman or men .& not say any thing or tell her depends . We are more sencitive to each other, & it show's in our closeness & being closer to each other look at how close we stand to each other. then watch men.
I cant see many male's doing that unless they know each other.

...noeleena...

StarrOfDelite
08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't think that we're talking about anything which is anti-CD here.

[QUOTE=Princess29;2582823] I asked does she take it out as much as she can but she just said that she actually prefers to just leave it in the cupboard at home as it makes her happy just having it (I can grasp that concept) but its like having a the latest ferrari but never taking it out of the garage and never actually using it.

You are from Australia, so I have no idea what the down-under equivalent of a Corvette is, but it's common to find 'Vettes from the 1970's with way less than 100,000 miles on them, and I've never seen a Ferrari or Lambo with more than 50,000. Most of the time they're more fun to sit in while you're being envied than to actually drive. 99.99% of the time they don't work on the road any better than a V-6 Accord, and many times not as well. I expect that in many instances a $500 Coach bag doesn't serve any higher purpose than a $30 imitation. It's the same mentality, but, because society is effed-up, the one aberration (Corvettes) is considered to be "Manly" while the other (handbags) is 'Girly."

The second thing she said during the haircut was how she pointed out my grey hairs were becoming more noticeable and how my receding hairline seemed to be receding more so she felt the need to highlight two things that I'm self conscious of. She didnt say it in a nasty way but still, she didnt need to say anything about it.
I wonder if she would say the same (or equivalent) to a female customer?

Maybe she was just trying to sell you on a dye job and a different haircut which wouldn't expose your hairline so much? It is the job of a good hairdresser to suggest to a customer that maybe the customer's ideas of what looks good might not be absotively correct. I don't go to barbers anymore, but I've had them suggest different ways to part my hair, et cetera, to minimize Widow's peaks.

Cynthia Anne
08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
I tend to agree with Karen and Suzy on this! I know if you're around a bunch of rednecks like I am, sometimes you wonder if 'she' is a she!ha,ha! Hugs!

ReineD
08-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree with the others. I think that both men and women can fill an internal void with material things, and this gives rise to treating these objects as precious things in themselves rather than using them as intended. Men and women are socialized to appreciate different material possessions so it makes sense a man would like a Ferrari, and a CD and a woman would like a Coach bag. :)

As to her comments about your hair, I think she would have said the same thing to a woman. She's in the business of improving looks for everyone. Did she suggest how you might fix or mask the grey and the receding hair line?

Stephenie S
08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
These are pretty superficial differences, don't you think?

The difference between a man and a woman is that a woman will spend $800 on a bag she doesn't take out much?

I have a male friend with a $15000 muscle car that never leaves his garage. He's gonna rebuild it someday.

Oh, and the hair? She's a HAIRDRESSER for goodness sake. Taking care of your hair is her job. Yes, she did need to say something about it. Do you want her to lie?

S

suchacutie
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree that the issues brought up in this thread are not substantial gender differences.

On the other hand, there are serious gender differences in the way we are socialized as children and in the way our brains are organized. Every transgendered individual knows how hard it is to get beyond the clothes and makeup. Thought patterns, body language, language patterns, speech patterns, organizational patterns....the list is long and is the reason "passing" can be so terribly hard if our observers are paying attention (and they are NOT mostly paying attention). One of the things that is so attractive about our feminine sides for many of us is that they ARE so different!

tina

Diane Smith
08-30-2011, 12:51 AM
As to the second comment, her job is to make your hair look good. Suggesting a color, cut and style that will make you look younger and more feminine (if that's what you want) is exactly what you're paying her to do, and maybe she had some ideas about ways to improve your look. I'm sure she would have made the same observation to any client, male or female. Or conversely, a male hair stylist would have said the same thing.

I love talking hair with my stylist! It's quite an escape from my usual subjects of conversation! (Probably not so much for her!)

- Diane

georgia_937
08-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Hey, I have a muscle car in the garage that I'm going to rebuild someday! I keep telling people I'm saving it for my first retirement project. The fact that it's a very pretty shade of canary yellow didn't hurt my selection, though!

Stephenie S
08-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Do some research. There is PLENTY of information on line.

Differences between the sexes have NOTHING to do with hairstyles, handbags, or muscle cars.

MOST of the SOCIAL differences between men and women are constructs of the male patriarchy. Much of what is considered female behavior is centered around the fact that men have all the power in society, and have always had that power, and are desperate to hold on to that power.

Most of the PHYSICAL differences between men and women center around the fact that women bear and nurture children.

I REALLY don't want to start or try to maintain an argument over these facts. I don't have the time or the energy. And it's always hard to talk to a group of MEN about male power. This is not the place. Just think about what I said. Although it may be considered radical thinking by many, there is much truth in it.

Stephie

SuzanneBender
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Trying to attribute specific actions to one gender or the other is almost impossible. It is true that males and females are socialized differently but we each express that socialization in our own wonderful expressive ways. Life is not about behaving like a man or a woman. Its about behaving like you.

Some women like expensive purses some don't. Some men have garages full of tools that they rarely use. Some rent their tools and yes even some women have garages full of expensive tools that they don't use. I have even read where the frugal gal (or guy) that is truly into making an impression can rent expensive purses.

I just know I dig having a garage full of expensive tools and I also like having designer purses in my closet. However, I don't think I will ever use an expensive designer purse to haul my expensive tools around unless the purse is a rental and I took out the liability insurance on it.

ValRom
08-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I agree totally with Diane and Reine on this - she wants you to look your best - think of her as a doctor for your scalp - you'd want the doctor to tell you if something was amiss, wouldn't you?

]yes, the amiss pun was intended!]

Inna
08-30-2011, 10:34 AM
MIss psychology here :), I honestly feel within my own self and gals around me that the difference comes down to emotional gravity and view of the world. The differentiation culprit is testosterone, elixir of external and ego boosting potion. On the other hand estrogen acts towards within and promotes hyper-awareness in emotional state focusing attention on matters of heart, loving, giving, life creation, and all that is promoting emotional stability within the unit of members (do not misunderstand emotional love with PMS, I know it will be hard for males to decipher which is which and that within it self will be a perfect example :))

However, said that, I had testosterone run through my veins doing what it does, and still had a heightened sense of emotional content (I believe that to be true for all artistically inclined) and such is simply attributed to my brains wiring which at birth was coded to that of female ( actually non coded because we are all females within first, most crucial weeks of embryo development ) and not as it suppose to be following genetic makeup, male.

Barbra P
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
If I owned a very expensive purse I doubt that I’d want to subject it to the wear and tear of everyday use and I’d keep it at home except on special occasions. Likewise if I owned a very expensive sports car I don’t think I’d want to drive it in rush-hour traffic, I’d enjoy a drive in the country on a nice Sunday afternoon a lot more. Also a consideration with a very expensive car is the resale value, unlike most cars some exotic cars can actually increase in value provided the car is well maintained and the mileage remains reasonable – I have no idea if a purse that origianlly cost a thousand-dollars maintains any sort of resale value.

Being retired and living on a fixed income all of this is irrelevant to me anyway, a very expensive purse is any purse costing more than $30, and any car costing more than, oh heck any car, period.

As for the comments about the hair, the fact that they came from a hairdresser pretty much means that not much meaning can be applied other than the comments came from a hairdresser.

Kaz
08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
She is showing great customer service here! She is giving some of herself away to build rapport etc... As for Ferarris, the majority are bloody uncomfortable to drive... I prefer my Volvo... a very fast armchair! But with loads of room for accessories and great for doing the shopping!