PDA

View Full Version : Going out in public.

cassandra54
08-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Well I am almost at that point of going somewhere with my SO as I have almost worked out the bugs with my makeup. I live in Phoenix, anyone around here have any ideas, or how should I get started?

sissystephanie
08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Are there any Crossdressing, or similar, clubs in Phoenix? If so I would try those for a first time place. You may be passable, but how is your voice? If it is not at all feminine, talking may out you very quickly!! With my very masculine voice it got me into trouble often. But you can work around it by not talking for whatever reason! I wish you very good luck in your first public outing!!

Missy Tanya
08-29-2011, 09:49 PM
I would look for a TG support group in your area. And check with them for "Friendly" places to visit. Other than that, I have been welcomed at most any smaller venue. Like check the area for LGBT friendly spots. LGBT bars and eateries have been very accepting. Specially the ones that have Drag Shows. The performers luv having another special girl in the crowd. And smaller specialty shops have always welcomed me and my money in their stores. Smaller type restaurants have been some of my favorite stops. The foods better, and they love having the business.

Tanya

Cynthia Anne
08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Hi Cassandra! First let me tell you I like your name! I dated a girl named Cassandra when I was younger! When you say 'going some where', do you mean for a drink or whatever! If it's you're first time out in public perhaps shopping would be a good start! Whereever you go be proud of who you are and enjoy it! Hugs!

diannecourtney
08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Open the front door!!!Have a good time.

Karren H
08-30-2011, 08:08 AM
First... Wait till the temperature drops below 100... So your makeup doesn't melt... Then I'd go to the mall shopping or to a movie.....

TGMarla
08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Alice Cooper's? Just a thought.

Kim_Bitzflick
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I hate it when I get bugs in my makeup! LOL

Seriously, just go where ever you think you will be comfortable.

Jenny Doolittle
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Avoid the days of the sandstorms, they are terrible on your makeup. Just enjoy yourself visiting shops and locations that are frequented by other women.

Stephenie S
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
And smile! Don't forget to smile.

S

Barbra P
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi Cassandra

You might want to start by contacting your locak TRI-ESS chapter, there is one in Phoenix and one in Mesa. You can find find information about TRI-ESS at http://www.tri-ess.org/. Basically TRI-ESS is "An international social and support group for heterosexual crossdressers, their partners, the spouses of married crossdressers and their families." I don't know what membership runs as TRI-ESS doesn't have a chapter in San Diego, but the local non-profit transgender organization that I belong to charges $35 a year, hold a monthly dinner meeting at a local restaurant as well as a party in December, it's a great place to meet others and make friends.

kimdl93
08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
well, I guess there are a couple of options. If your SO is agreeable, why not visit a local mall. My first real outing was getting a make over at the MAC counter at a Houston mall. Routine places seem like good starting points, like Starbucks, a gay-friendly restaurants and bars. I'm sure you'll be amazed at how few seem to notice or care much, one way or the other. I'm sure you'll have a great time with your SO.

michelle.foster
08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
My first outing with wife was to the movies. It was after dark, I walked out the front door and directly to the car parked in the driveway. At the Cinema, she bought the tickets and we walked in together. There wasn't a large group in the room and we sat all the way in the back. After the movie, we decided to sneak into another. As we were waiting for the second to start, we both had to use the restroom. She asked what I was going to do, I said "follow you in". The ladies room was pretty full, I took the first stall I came to and walked directly out when I had finished. I didn't look to see if anyone was staring and heard no comments, so it all went well.
We have been out shopping a couple of times and I felt awkward and uncomfortable only because I didn't know what to do, I wasn't "shopping" just standing around in husband mode.
Museum or art gallery might be another place.

PretzelGirl
08-30-2011, 03:04 PM
It all depends on your desires and your nerves. If you feel quite comfortable, go where ever you would go if you weren't dressed. That can be out to eat, movies, shopping, plays, museums, ....whateever. If you are a little anxious, then just make it something with less people around so you can get your sea legs. A store that isn't as busy. A movie that has been out a few weeks. A stroll through a park. You are only limited by Phoenix (or any neighboring towns and cities).

linda allen
08-30-2011, 05:16 PM
........both had to use the restroom. She asked what I was going to do, I said "follow you in". The ladies room was pretty full, I took the first stall I came to and walked directly out when I had finished. ........

Without washing your hands? :eek:

I think you are pretty safe when you are with one or more GGs. Unless you look like Hulk Hogan in a dress.

cassandra54
08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
really, my makeup melts in the bathroom, it gets so hot out here, my teeth sweat.

i was thinking about going on the tri ess cruise actually. i would join, but i have so much on my plate and i don't know how they would feel about me being bi. it's a funny world out there and look where i am writing this from, now that's funny

that is so true and yeah i think that is the kind of experience that i would like to have. just one thing i thought of is the neighbors seeing me get in and out of my car, of course i could always park in the garage first.

Eryn
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Cassandra, where you go is pretty much up to you and your level of confidence. Having your SO along is a great confidence builder.

How's your presentation? Your SO is probably the best person to ask. If she thinks you look good, you look good.

I'm relatively inexperienced with going out and a pretty big (6'2") girl, but with the help of my SO and friends I've been out in a variety of situations including dinner, theatre, shopping, etc. I've actually felt a lot more comfortable than I expected to. Once you're "out there" there is nothing to do but enjoy being yourself! :)

eluuzion
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
It has been a long time since I lived in Phoenix and quite awhile since I've visited. But one of my favorite spots was brunch at the AZ Biltmore. Relaxed setting, awesome cuisine. Ice sculptures, too. Camelback and some of the golf courses offer great outdoor luncheon scenery and sparse populations to deal with.

One of my good friends' (who died early) family last name was Lincoln as in the road out in North Phoenix. His mom was nuttier than a fruitcake...:heehee:
South Point was always a favorite too.

have Fun!

:love:

kym
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
the way I started was to go with my loving wife to a fastfood drive through with her driving and ordering, then we went to a chinese takeout to get dinner one night, when we pulled up she handed me the cash and told me that she didn't feel like getting out of the car lol she kinda "pushed me out of the nest" , since then we go grocery shopping together,out to dinner together, the movies, the local parks, all with me dressed appropriately for the occasion. So my advice would be to start out simple the first couple of times and go from there, once you go out that first time the rest is a lot easier and very addictive.