PDA

View Full Version : News article:"boi or girl?

Barbara Beaulieu
10-12-2005, 11:11 AM
The title was 'Boi or grrl? Youth culture testing the boundaries of gender identity and roles' The article was about a boy who dressed as both depending on his mood. Well a woman wrote in to the newspaper forum and really lashed out.
"god created us as male and female, and it is only in our sin that we seek to blur the lines between genders"
"we are tired of seeing this type of ANTI-BIBLICAL lifestyle promoted in the media.

Well, I guess shes not coming to the next meeting:eek: :mad :thumbsdn:

Jamie M
10-12-2005, 11:23 AM
When I calm down a bit I'll write a proper reasoned counterpoint to her arguement but for now .........

What a friggin cow, who the ruddy mary does she think she is to critise us and our ways , what an ignorant mare , Anti-biblical my arse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Aside from religious indignation, I often wonder if those who react so strongly are in part reacting against their own discomfort with gender roles, which they've kept repressed.

Gender bending implies that people have a lot more choice over their lives -- gender roles aren't written in stone -- than most people are willing to admit and that's frightening to a lot of people. Saying that's the way things are ordained is a classic case of the avoiding personal responsibility that Existentialist philosophers have talked about. BTW, if you're interested, there's a good article about Existentialism and Crossdressing. (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/cathytg/exist.htm) (If it's heavy going, just skip to the bottom to get the summary bullet points, the last two of which I think are particuarly relevant.)

Katie Ashe
10-12-2005, 11:46 AM
This always troubles me, how uneducated people really are. Unless your Jewish, your not breaking any religious rules. Wear a freaking dress; have a coke and a smile.

I garentee that lady was wearing jeans and a t-shirt when she wrote it too, what a hippocrite.

urban gypsy
10-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Small minded bigots like this should look at there religion before casting stones as some of the greatest atrocities in history have been done by religion or what people feel are there religious beliefs.
Also sometimes people are like this due to their lack of knowledge on a subject.
But I wish these people would get there facts straight before spurting off on something they don't understand.

Jamie M
10-12-2005, 12:03 PM
right here we go , calm now

I guess this is a problem that we will always face as long as freedom of speech is a core value in our society. You can try to educate people as much as you like but there will always be a number of ignorant or just plain intollerant people out there who will find a way of making their views known. As for the media who broadcast these views, well it's just going down the Jerry Springer route of making the readers angry enough to buy tomorrows newspaper to see who's responded to the trash they've published today

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
there will always be a number of ignorant or just plain intollerant people out there who will find a way of making their views known.

What's ironic for me is these extremely intolerant people often seem to turn around and complain that wider society isn't more accepting of their views...

Helen MC
10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Long hair down the shoulders, long flowing robes open at the bottom, no beard? Hell's teeth I have just descriped some of the Apostles! Now what are the red-neck "born agains" going to say about that then?

Tiffy
10-12-2005, 01:32 PM
You would think people would out grow this crap. Do these people ever go to school and learn?

April

pedebra
10-12-2005, 02:44 PM
This person embodies the main reason that I quit attending church a long time ago. How can someone exhibit so much and intolerance in the name of a God who preached love and compassion?

Debra

Sarahgurl371
10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I am very leary of Christians who have to tell me how Chrstiany they are. Seems to me we should live by the rules that they supposedly ascribe to. Ya know, Love They Neighbor, We are all God's children, Judge Not Lest Thee Be Judged. I don't think that any of us are hiding who were are from God, and one day I suppose He will tell me if I was wrong or not. I beleive that He made me who I am, and To Thine Own Self Be True should mean something.

We all have different views and opinions, but that said, I don't force mine upon anyone else, and I am not very quick to criticise others. Wonder what she thought when they freed the slaves, ended segregation, women got to vote and join the workforce? Oh, and there is always those pesky homosexual people too. Guess she will always have someone to hate.

SheilaTV
10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Well a woman wrote in to the newspaper forum and really lashed out.
"god created us as male and female, and it is only in our sin that we seek to blur the lines between genders"
"we are tired of seeing this type of ANTI-BIBLICAL lifestyle promoted in the media.

If that woman is ugliest than the ugliest GG, CD, TV, TS or DQ in the world...it's not our fault.

Poor lady (lady?)

Was her name Adolf and died in 1945?

jo_ann
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
people who lash out about wrongness are usually bible thumpers believing in the bible word for word (man shall not wear the clothing of woman yada yada), black and white which is impossible because nearly everything in it contridicts itself. I was brought up christian, but I have a hard time following a book written 2000 years ago with horrible translation. I believe in acceptance and love, that's what jesus would do!

WWJD? he'd try crossdressing :p

Olivia
10-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Awww, "f**k those self-righteous devil-dodgers! Who gives a rat's ass what they think?!? Those hypocrites disgust me. O

Helen MC
10-13-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm with Olivia 100% on this- WGAF!

Sarahgurl371
10-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Literal interpretation huh? I guess all the GG's won't mind sleeping in the garage when that time of the month arrives. Since the Old Testament says something to the effect that they are unclean and shouldn't be in the house then. The original quote is from a Peggy Rudd book.

I tend to think the Bible was written by a man, or several men if you will. Not God, and I think men have always sought ways to control others, and impose thier beliefs on them. Just my toughts on how society evolves