PDA

View Full Version : Women rejecting Thongs

Helen MC
10-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Women say knickers to g-strings Wednesday October 12, 06:59 AM
By Trevor Datson

LONDON (Reuters) - Women are deserting g-strings in favour of more substantial undergarments, while bra sales are busting all expectations as ladies grow larger.

Consumer research group Mintel said on Wednesday that spending on thongs has fallen 14 percent since 2003, meaning that the minimalist undies on show above waistbands everywhere now account for fewer than one in four of women's undergarments sold on the 388 million-pound UK knickers market.

Instead, women are opting for boy shorts, maxi pants or French knickers, Mintel suggested, adding that the "control bottom" sector was also in good shape.

"The popularity of trousers was largely responsible for the dominance of the thong, which originally had the practical purpose of avoiding a visible panty line," Mintel said in its landmark survey "Bras and Pants in the UK".

"But there has been something of a backlash against this style ... which is now often seen as uncomfortable, unflattering and for some, a bit on the brash side," it added.

ENGINEERED BRAS

By contrast, the bra sector has increased by 36 percent since 2000 to a value of some 786 million pounds -- with most of the expansion coming in the underwired segment.

"Undoubtedly the growth in the average British bust size over the last ten years from 34B to 36C or D has played a significant role in the increasing popularity of underwired bras," Mintel analyst James McCoy said.

"Another clear trend in the bra sector shows bras now being designed to be visible as outerwear and, due to the engineering of bras, it is far easier to make underwired ones more flamboyant and intricate," he added.

Even so, women are still likely to be quite conservative and practical in their underwear choice.

The main reason for buying a new pair of knickers or a bra is still simply to replace an old one, Mintel said, with just one in four women ever doing so doing so to treat themselves -- or possibly someone else.

Only one in six is likely to buy a new bra for a special occasion or to take on holiday

urban gypsy
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I am glad about this as thongs are flossing for the posterior. Sorry for being crude!

Robertacd
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
I know my wife hates wearing a thong, and when ever she does wear one she is constantly pulling it our of her ass. I keep telling her its suppose to be that way, but she does can't stand the butt floss feeling.

Nyx
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I find thongs can be quite sexy, but having worn them a few times myself, I can say I do find the feeling of a "permanent wedgie" to be rather uncomfortable"... And it does rub in an area that can become irritated...

But who cares, fashion changes, and boyshorts are cute ;)

Tamara Croft
10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Oohh.... I wouldn't give up my thongs.... noooooo........ boy pants?? what is the world coming to :rolleyes: !!!!!!!

Marla GG
10-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Yay! Enormous knickers for everyone!:D

This thread got me so excited that I had to hijack the computer from Angel just so I could post to it.

Sorry Tamara.......*slinks off*......but we are never going to agree about panties......

And sorry Angel, you know how I get.....here have the computer back sweetie. :rose:

Laurie Ann
10-12-2005, 09:56 PM
I love my thongs much more that regular panties, I wear nothing else everyday. They are very comfortable and I believe very sexy.

DawnRodgers
10-13-2005, 02:19 AM
I love my thongs. I think that they are so very sexy - I wear nothing else in the way of panties except thongs. Love how they feel and look and also find them very comfortable too. Don't understand why others don't. I think I have about 50 pairs in different colors and styles.
Dawn

Helen MC
10-13-2005, 02:29 AM
To me this is great news as I have always loved full briefs whch is what I wear.

Deana_CD
10-13-2005, 04:17 AM
The trend away from thongs is good news to me! I can't stand them. In all these years I have only been able to find one type of thong that was comfortable enough to me that I didn't mind wearing all day, and it was discontinued a few years ago. I'll stick with my bikinis and hi cuts, they are sexy and comfy (best of both worlds)!

Raychel
10-13-2005, 07:20 AM
I must agree with joannapain, Marla GG, Montfort Cherub, Deana_CD, on this one. I have never liked thongs either on women or on myself. I find it a lot more sexy to see a woman in full panties than seeing her buns exposed. Ater that is what lingerie is all about, covering things up to add to the excitement. With a thong you only have half of the things covered. Not to mention the floss business, YUK.

PS Marla, Solve alot of argumnets and get another computer. If we didn't have more than one computer, my wife would never get any time at all and we would always be arguing. :bs:

Jamie M
10-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Couldn't have happened quicker. I can't stand this fashion trend for underwear to be on show for either boys or girls. This whole buisness of g-strings and boxer shorts to be half way up your chest and visisble for the whole world and his grannie to view , ugh , no thank you. i f i want to see your knickers I'll make a pass at you :D

Don't get me wrong i have a couple of pairs of g's but they're for my own pleasure of wearing ,not for other people to view.

Just a final thought, could this downtrend in sales be due to the fact that the whole world and their dog has already bought enough of them to see them through the winter and no-one needs new one's just yet ?

Stormgirl
10-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Oh noes what a pity :rolleyes:

charlottejane
11-24-2005, 07:07 PM
excellent news fullfem should be real knickers or panties

Angela Burke
11-24-2005, 09:27 PM
I can't stand thongs.
I've tried wearing them but all my "bits" kept squishing out and the string at the back kept dissapearing up my bum !
This resulted in me fiddling about with myself, getting looks and some "are you feeling allright ? " queries.
I'll stay with my panties and French knickers.
Thongs ?
No thanks !

Love Angala XX

Katrina
11-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Thongs going out of style????!??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I can't take it anymore!!! <jumps out window>

Billijo49504
11-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Thongs going out of style!?!?!? All I can say is, BYE!! Back to the stringkinis. The thongs give me roid rash, ouch!!!! I'd rather wear jeans without drawers, than thongs. As I said, BYE BYE thongs!!!

Jesse69
11-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I'd be glad if thongs never existed, then those nice corset garter sets would come with a panty, not a thong. I hate thongs and the way they feel. I also hate boy shorts. And I do have 1 unlucky combination of a boy short thong that I got because it was for a matching corset / garter set.

Is the word "knickers" the UK word for a US panty ?

Angela Burke
11-24-2005, 10:56 PM
The word " knickers" can cover all styles of female underwear.
Some men also refer jokingly to their male underwear as knickers.
It can be used as a cry of exasperation " oh... knickers!".
A term of dismissal meaning " I strongly disagree with your previous statement !".
To urge someone to stay calm "don't get your knickers in a twist!".
A put down (usually with a hint of jealousy), as in "look at her, I know her type, fur coat and no knickers!".
It also used to mean (I don't know why) a pre-decimal currency one pound sterling, (it may still do).
These are just few uses of the word "knickers".
I don't think it'll come as a surprise to any of the girls here that my favorite use of knickers is wearing them!

Love Angela XX

girlintouch
11-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I like thong and I also like boy short panties. They hold me inplace just right.

swiss_susan
11-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Everything has a time and place. I like most panty styles, well except the huge granny knickers.

I have thongs, briefs, boy shorts, and love them all.

Susan

Maddie Nolan
11-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Just a final thought, could this downtrend in sales be due to the fact that the whole world and their dog has already bought enough of them to see them through the winter and no-one needs new one's just yet ?

I doubt it Julia, this has been a developing trend for the last 2 or 3 months so it looks like they are gone for a while. All fashions die in the end.
Its just a shame this particular fashion didn't die sooner IMO. I don't like to wear them and I don't think they are that nice to look at either really.

Wendy me
11-25-2005, 02:03 PM
this could only be a good thing .........thong sales..........

Sophie_A
11-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I only wear thongs whether en femme or in bloke mode, so a thong sale would be great. :D

Stormgirl
11-25-2005, 06:32 PM
I can't stand thongs but thats just me.

Bernadina
11-26-2005, 12:37 AM
There are thongs and there are thongs. Some are just horrible to wear and some are well designed and very comfortable. I find that I pay a bit more for good ones.

Kimberly
11-26-2005, 07:03 AM
Having not actually worn a thong yet, I'll be interested to find out what I like more...

I'm guessing it'll be the briefs ;)

GemmaN
11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
I have some male thongs from George which I find incredibly comfortable, particularly in the summer when it's hot. I recently bought some girl thongs and don't have a problem with them either.

We are all built differently...............

Marla
11-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I love a good tight thong. It makes me feel like I,m cinched up and ready to be rode!

kimmy p
11-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Oohh.... I wouldn't give up my thongs.... noooooo........ boy pants?? what is the world coming to :rolleyes: !!!!!!!

Hmmmm..... their is somthing wrong with this. Picture it.... I'm a male, dressing as a female, wearing boypants? It is just so confusing.

Kimmy

Mandie
11-29-2005, 02:25 PM
if you ladies hear of any thong sales, I want to know - this is one trend in women's fashion I want to take advantage of . . . .

Kisses,

Mandie

BrendaChristine
11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
I don't like thongs. give me a nice tushie in a snug Victorias Secret brief.....

It's funny how "knickers" have a totally different meaning here in the New World.
B.

Sara Kat
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
OH HELL NO...Thongs will NEVER be out of style!

Anyway it just means there'll be more for me!!!:D

byrony
11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
See, I'm not too upset about this, but when boyshorts go out of style... Well then we have a problem. :p