PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating searches

Pythos
09-04-2011, 03:45 PM
So out of boredom while at a flying club with no planes flying due to weather, I decided to do some searches on the net about various crossdressing issues

here is a list of the searches.

When did women start wearing pants?
When did men stop wearing skirts?
Leggings for men?
Are leggings unisex?
Were high heels originally for men?
Lipstick for men
Makeup for men
When did men stop wearing their hair long?

The results were quite fascinating. I highly recommend members here do such and similar. If you can come up with more, please add on.

The women in pants ones yielded some interesting and sexist notions that somehow reversed themselves sometime in history, as did high heels.

While doing these I effectively learned that my "fem/androgynous" look is actually within some biblical and historic context...just vastly more modern.

I also pretty much am of the opinion that people that say "it is not accepted due to social norms" really need to see what was considered social norms not so long ago. LOL.

Seriously though, this was a very interesting set of searches. I have done similar before, but not back to back like this.

There are indeed more Biblical passages that are against women wearing pants...however, this is really hard to figure out, seeing as pants were not fully invented in the times of Moses, and Jesus, OR the Roman Empire.

Modesty is definitely an issue in these, and it is in my opinion all rubbish.

sissystephanie
09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Pythos,

You have way too much boredom time!! I will have to try some of those searches myself! BTW, your avatar looks better without the glasses!!

Pythos
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Only two responses.

Hmmmm.

No one is interested in what is being said about such things on the internet?

Pythos
09-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Only two responses.

Hmmmm.

No one is interested in what is being said about such things on the internet?

CaitlynRenee
09-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Interesting thread, Pythos. I have another question for you (everyone really) to ponder.

1. When did the color (various shades and hues of) Red become a more feminine color than masculine??

2. The same question about the color/shades/hues of Blue

The answers might intrique one who has ''way too much time' on their hands.........

Love the question though. Thanks.

Mikaela
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
1. When did the color (various shades and hues of) Red become a more feminine color than masculine??
2. The same question about the color/shades/hues of Blue

http://people.howstuffworks.com/gender-color.htm has some interesting bits

Vickie_CDTV
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I believe the men of the Bible all wore skirts, tunics, dresses or other such bifurcated clothing. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but the term "girding for battle" meant men pulled their skirt between their legs, around their waist and tied it, so their legs would be free to fight.

I believe it was the Persians who introduced trousers to the western world (they rose horses so I guess it makes sense), and the ancient Romans considered their trousers to be effeminate. I find it highly ironic that the western world adopted and make compulsory for men the dress originally from a country it is now most at odds with, and now considers skirts the Romans conquered so much of known world in to be effeminate.

I have heard a few explanations of why pink is for girls and blue for boys, but this is the one I give most credibility to personally. Pink was once considered for boys, and baby blue for girls, since blue is a very passive color (as women were considered to be at the time), and pink was vibrant, and was a mixture of red (for blood, strength, courage), and white (for purity), something that was desirable in a male.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Pink

Mikaela
09-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Times and customs change, many of which are due to the availability of materials, the change in the nature of wealth & status, who defines the trends, etc. They used to throw their chamberpots into the streets too, it doesn't mean that they had it right with the clothing :D