PDA

View Full Version : I've Got My Referall... But....

Natasha_C
09-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I wondered if any UK girls can help ? I’ve got my referral today from the NHS psychiatrist and am sooo happy. But it is from the NHS psychiatrist to my doctor (as opposed to directly to Charing Cross) recommending Charing Cross to him for me (apparently this is the new regular procedure)

At the end in the “current care plan” section it reads (you = my doctor) …

* He wants an appropiate referral to Charing Cross to begin. This letter should be taken as the first step. We are no longer able to refer directly to Charing Cross, the process starts with you where you would need to request funding from the PCT

* We will review him in eight weeks time just to make sure his mental health remains stable. At this point we will discharge him if the process of referral has begun.

To me this all reads fine, but someone has said to me tonight that I should be wary as this could still be blocked perhaps by no money being available for funding.

Does anyone know the procedures around this, and do you think I will be ok ?

I have also been advised of a “shared care system” in case I am blocked. Is this something I ought to study prior to going back to my GP ? Am I perhaps worrying over nothing ?

Rianna Humble
09-06-2011, 01:41 AM
First of all, congratulations Natasha on getting that letter! :bighug: You are right that this is the new procedure.

Your GP will now be able to use the letter as evidence to the PCT that you should be given funding to treat your Gender Dysphoria. Once the funding has been granted, the letter will also serve when your GP refers you to Charing Cross.

We are still in the first half of the financial year, so there should be less chance of the PCT's budget for Gender Dysphoria being used up. Even if they were to say that there was no money, your GP would immediately appeal that decision.

I'm not quite sure which shared care system has been mentioned to you, although it seems like your mental health trust wants to keep an eye on your well-being until your referral is successful which I take as a positive.