PDA

View Full Version : Should I now call you Jeri?

jeri1973
09-07-2011, 08:04 AM
This is the question my therapist asked me at my appointment yesterday. I was kind of taken by surprise but I have been seeing her for almost 3 months now and I have become very comfortable with her and being open to share my feelings about who I feel I really am.

This was the first person who just outright asked should they call me by my femme name and I realize that I have been using this name on this board for a couple of years, it is now coming to the point that the real me is about to come out completely and I think her question was in essence asking me if I was ready to be Jeri. I told her let me think about it and I will let her know at our next appointment.

I have thought about it all night and I must say that to her from now on I will be Jeri. After all that is who I really am on the inside. Maybe before to much longer she will get to meet Jeri fully decked out.

Thanks for the support of this board because without you all and your encouragement I could not be going down this road as easy as I am.

Have a great day,
Jeri.

Wendy_Marie
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
We want things so badly for so long and yet we are still caught off guard by such a small thing...My current therapist didn't ever ask me this question...(I have been thorough two and am currently on my third as they rotate at the clinic I visit.) She walked in and after introductions by my former therapist...she told me, I am just going to call you Wendy from the beginning so there is no confusion between us.
My previous therapist seemed to avoid using my female name and occasionally stumbled on her words when referring to me as either a male or female...but she was such a sweet person and I could see she was really trying.

It is nice to be addressed by the name I intend to legally take on in the future..and it has taken some getting use to on my part as well...hearing the name outloud will really begin to drive home who you are...at least it has for me.

Diane Elizabeth
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
When I went to my therapist the first time, she asked me what name I go by. She has called me by that name since then. Even when I changed it she didn't miss a beat as the expression goes. I have dressed up down and everything in-between since and she always referred to me by the feminine pronouns and names. So I am surprised yours hasn't done the same.

Michaela42
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
When I went to my therapist the first time, she asked me what name I go by. She has called me by that name since then. Even when I changed it she didn't miss a beat as the expression goes. I have dressed up down and everything in-between since and she always referred to me by the feminine pronouns and names. So I am surprised yours hasn't done the same.

That was the question I wanted to ask Wendy and Jeri: if you are dressed as a female during your meetings then by all means they should address you as your female name. Even if you are not/have no plans of transitioning, to call you anything else (unless you specifically ask them to) would strike me as rude.

Wendy_Marie
09-07-2011, 09:49 PM
That was the question I wanted to ask Wendy and Jeri: if you are dressed as a female during your meetings then by all means they should address you as your female name. Even if you are not/have no plans of transitioning, to call you anything else (unless you specifically ask them to) would strike me as rude.

As I stated I am currently working with my third therapist..the first was male and after a few incidents I requested a second..who was female...she was very sweet and while I don't really remember her having issues with calling me Wendy..She sometimes stumbled over the use of the Pronouns He/She etc...

jeri1973
09-08-2011, 07:44 AM
My therapist calling me by my birth name was my choice at first because that was the name I made the appointment under. Also, during our visits, which are ever 2 weeks, I have not been completely dressed enfemme. I have worn my pierced earrings, ladies shorts, and have even went in wearing sandals and bright pink toenail polish. The course which she has taken with me is to see just how transgendered I am and I think she got her confirmation this past appointment that I am trans and she even mentioned that I have been doing really good toward transition if that is my plan. I shared with her that it was and then she asked me about calling me Jeri.

From now on to her I am a Jeri.

Thanks for the replies.

Jeri