PDA

View Full Version : Friendly conversation with a stranger

Intertwined
09-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I was at the veterinarian yesterday, complete male mode except for my purse, when lady behind the counter commented on my purse.

I have a large crystal gemstone hanging from it, I took out my keys, showing her that I have a matching one on my key ring. I told her that my wife and daughter rag on me because I have more purses than the two of them combined. I told her, in my defense, all my purses combined do not cost as much as either one of their Louis Vuittons.

She said she has seen a few men carry Man Bags, I told her those are the most ridicules things under the sky, in their attempt to NOT make them look feminine, they make them completely non-functional, women’s purses for the most part are designed to be functional.

She said she thought it was Awesome that I didn’t mind carrying a ladies purse. I told her it didn’t bother me at all because I am what most people call a crossdresser.

I could tell she was stunned that I had just said that, but I believe it was because I said it without any hesitation or reserve. I told her I don’t like the term because when most people hear ‘ crossdresser ‘ they think Tootsie or some sort of drag queen, I told her I prefer ‘ Androgynous ‘ because when I dress I wear half feminine attire and half masculine attire.

At this point she had the biggest grin on her face :D and said “wow, you are amazing! You are so comfortable with yourself”, I told her I use to keep it a secret, decided to go public with it a couple of years ago, and that my 2 favorite phrases are “You Wear A Mask For So Long, You Forget Who You Were Beneath The Mask”, and “It Does Not Matter What Other Think About You, It’s What You Think About Yourself That counts”.

We must have talked for 20 minutes :blah: , asking me questions about what I wear, and what type of reactions I get, she had me jot down my Flickr website, she was dying to see some of what I wear, I told her the next time I bring one of the dogs I will come in a skirt and heels.

kimdl93
09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Building greater acceptance and tolerance, one conversation at a time!

Cynthia Anne
09-08-2011, 07:17 AM
That's what I call a great job of educating the public! You make me proud that I'm a crossdresser! THANK YOU! Hugs!

Danni Renee
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I can only hope I get as comfortable with myself as you are with yourself. It is great to hear this story and shows yet again that displaying confidence is really the key to acceptance. Now, if they just made a confidence pill!

Danni

Deana ♥ Danni
09-08-2011, 10:18 AM
This is awesome!! I think your confidence and acceptance in yourself really shows :) What a wonderful opportunity to educate someone and plant a seed of tolerance :)

Michaela42
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
WOW! Greats story Intertwined! And just like Danni Renee said, I too hope to have that confidence and acceptance of myself that you showed to this stranger. I am not there yet, but I am working on it ;)

desa ray
09-08-2011, 11:15 AM
What a random and lovely experience. Its the little things like that that help me hold on to my hope for humanity.
Desa.

MarcyRex
09-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Truly confidence is well earned, and I love the outreach. Inspiring.