PDA

View Full Version : Gynecomastia, Genetics and HRT

Wendy_Marie
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Last week I visited my Primary care Physician and was given a Rx for Estradiol which was the culmination of a life long need within me.

During the initial consult we went over family history etc...if your already on HRT then you know the drill better than I....

My Doctor brought up the subject of Breast development and I inquired as to what I could realistically expect...? as even though Breast Development is high on my list of expectations for beginning HRT, there are factors and benefits to me which do outweigh just having big boobs.

At first she seemed rather hesitant to respond and I could tell she was trying to be very cautious with her response....sort of that "Under Promise." mentality...as she din't want my expectations to be too high. She said realistically I probably shouldn't expect anything more than maybe full and healthy "B" cups depending on many factors from Genetics to my health and how well I respond to the HRT drugs....I thought, that since i am nearly already a "B" cup...just filling out and rounding off more would thrill me to death...i don't need large breasts so long as I have natural, real breast tissue to work with..I can always enhance later on.

I casually tell her that as far as the females of my family go...most all of my Sister, my mother and my Grandmothers on both sides of the family rode the "D" cup train with a few "DD's" and the likes thrown in here and there...she laughed at this and said that there just wasn't enough evidence to say that family genetics had anything to do with Breast Development in MTF transitions....again she was trying not to make any promises.

At this point she took my chart and began jotting down some notes while I sat there making small talk and chatting.... I was still fully dressed including a "Maidenform Ultimate bra" which were "C" cups and After I told my Doc that there were also several males in my immediate family who also suffered from Gynecomastia...she asked me how cloesly related they were to me and if I had symptoms of Gynecomastia myself....? I responded "Yes" to her question.....I have Uncles on both sides of the family who despite their best efforst to hide it...have overly large male breasts...My Dad didn't have this but I have a Maternal Step Brother who also has an overly large chest...and after my Mom passed away I acquired some old family pics and think this may be quite common in my family tree now on both sides of the family as well.

I then reported to her that my entire life since hitting puberty I had larger than normal male breasts...and no matter how much I excercised and ran (My sport of choice was track from junior High all the way throguh High School and I was a distance runner.) The size never decreased and while in school this caused me some grief and embarrasiment as my boobs always seemed far larger than the other boys around me...I refused to shower in the Locker room despite often being punished by the coaches for not doing so...later on I came to embrace this as a blessing since I was girl on the inside anyway...and it meant I could use far less stuffing to create a look I wanted.

My Doc then asked me to remove my blouse and bra and she completed an exam and confirmed that this was indeed actual breast tissue and not just fat deposits and so I could include Gynecomastia as one of my diagnosis....I then brought up the question to her again as to how this might influence my future breast growth on hormones and she stopped writing and told me.

"Your body already has exhibited the ability and a predminance to promote natural breast growth even off Female hormones....You already have breast tissue albeit a small amount"....I overflow an "A" cup currently and have lttle room inside my newest "B" cup bra.
"With all these factored in I would recommend that you hold on tight, cause it could be a wild ride." :brolleyes: Whaaaaa?

I have to admit that this gave me reason to pause as despite my long held desire for natural and real breasts....this kinda caught me off guard.....and I had these visions of Watermelon sized breasts hanging to my knees run throguh my head.:eek:

I mean what was she saying? What did she mean...? And when I broached these concerns all she could tell me was that she had no real answer's to give me...other than I had all the predetermining factors which could lead to significant development for me...and that I should be prepared to go bra shopping on a regular basis for the next couple of years. :o

When I made the decision to undertake this journey to transition...I tried to be comfortable with the idea that I was going to accept it for what it was, and whatever the outcome so long as it was still me making the decisions over my life....and I had some sort of a result...I wasn't going to let anything else stand in my way.

I have seen and met Trans people whose attempt to transition has gone very badly and due to extinuating factors have had very little actual results from hormones alone...and like many who share my desire to live full time...I fear that I have waited far too long in my life to have a satisfactory result.

And on the opposite end of the sprectrum I met just this weekend a very lovely transfemale who if she hadn't told me while we sat in a TG Support group meeting that she began life as a male...I would have called her and anyone else who said she wasn't Genetically female a liar...she was/is gorgeous:)

But, despite my final outcome and where Hormones, surgery or whatever else I undertake to complete my transition leads me....I am determined more than ever to do this just to be me...just to be happy.:)