PDA

View Full Version : Psychological effects of surgery

DanielMacBride
09-10-2011, 09:24 AM
(x-post from my T journal for those who don't have access to that part of the forum)

I am out of hospital today, and have written about my surgery and hospital stay elsewhere so will leave that out of this post. Instead, here I want to focus on the psychological aspects of my surgery and the ramifications. First clue that things were not going to be a "standard" surgery/hospital stay was the fact that I, the ABSOLUTELY NOT A MORNING PERSON UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lol, got up at 4am and left home at 5:15am in the dark and cold to catch a bus and train to the hospital, and was smiling and polite to everyone all the way there. At the hospital, instead of my usual pre-surgical nerves (every other time I have had any sort of surgery I have been EXTREMELY nervous and stressed) I was laughing and joking with all the staff and they were all surprised at how laidback and relaxed I was. I was a bit impatient for all the pre-op stuff to be done with because it seemed to take FOREVER lol, but I was laughing and joking with the theatre staff right up till I blacked out from the anaesthetic (literally, the last thing I remember was laughing with the surgeon about the anaesthetic starter - the anaesthetist said it would make me feel like I had had a gin and tonic, and the surgeon said "oh nice, can I have one of those while you're at it?" And I said "Oooh, PARTAY!" and we all laughed and then the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery). Even in recovery while still groggy I was apparently smiling, and then when I went back to my room and had a cup of tea I was still smiling! Even more so when I got up at 4pm to walk around the room (the nurse was stunned that I felt well enough to do this so early, usually they don't ask you to get up till the next day). The nurse was also surprised that I wasn't dizzy or lightheaded and didn't need her to lean on, and that I was cracking jokes right out of recovery!

All this and the fact that I have been really relaxed, happy, in no rush to go home till today (well I was offered the opportunity yesterday to go home but in the morning I just wasn't quite ready, but by last night I was all "let me OUT!" LOL and this morning I was watching the clock and it seemed to crawl till I got picked up at 10am) and have actually really enjoyed my time in hospital - even the hospital food wasn't bad, although I got a good deal there because being vegan, they make my food specially from scratch so I don't get quite the same premade stuff as everyone else - tells me that psychologically, this surgery has ONLY been the best thing that I could possibly have done - I thought going on T made me a lot happier and more relaxed, but this surgery has done that even more so (and tbh I'm a little surprised at that but in a good way). I have no doubts that my positive frame of mind and being relaxed has contributed a lot to me feeling so good post-op and to having no pain and being able to get up and move so soon after surgery, too.

But the real kicker has been the letter that I got from the resident confirming that I have had my hysto for gender reassignment - I seriously cannot describe the feeling I got when I held that letter in my hot little paws, I was so excited I was literally shaking! I read it and something just *settled* over me like "wow, you finally did it, this is it, now you're on your way to being legally recognised as a man!" I wanted to get up and do a James Brown LOL because that feeling was SO damned good! With this letter I can now take a letter from my GP confirming that I have been hormonally reassigned for over 2 years and have been living in a male gender role for over 2 years, and get my gender changed under Medicare (but possibly not yet get a GRC because of the tricky wording and the latitude taken with interpreting the requirements by the Board, but I'll see on that one). I hadn't planned to apply for my GRC just yet, I was going to wait till I get my chest done - but now that I have the letter, I can get my chest done as a man under Medicare for free, and may possibly be able to legally be recognised for who I really am :D

I can't describe what that does for a man, to feel so.....validated and affirmed and to know that I am so much closer to where I wanted to be, that place that only a year or so ago seemed so impossibly out of reach :D

AllieSF
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Daniel, a very big congratulations on your successful surgery and your achieving and surpassing this very important milestone on your trip to the future. You have remove a big burden and unwanted baggage from your shoulders and I am sure that you are walking straighter and prouder than ever now. I truly believe that one's attitude and emotions going into something so major as this can have a direct effect on how one responds to the treatment and surgery. You are a shining example of that. Now, as I have been following and commenting on your personal journey here, I only have one special request and I hope that it is not too much. I would love to see Daniel showing the internal happiness and joy in your avatar pic. You are an extremely good looking guy and I think that you are going to melt some peoples hearts, including mine when they see you with that smile.

DanielMacBride
09-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Aww thanks Allie, way to make me totally blush LOL! I will try to get a pic tomorrow as the light is not good here at the moment (it's after 7pm) :)

DanielMacBride
09-20-2011, 03:56 AM
I seem to have hit a very interesting and unexpected side-effect of my surgery LOL - after 20+ years of severe depression and OCD/PTSD/HFA/Aspie/anxiety disorders, I have just recently started an "organise ALL the things!" phase (first time in that long, because till now I had been too depressed, stressed/anxious and unmotivated and couldn't get any help with any of it for the life of me!) I am SO hyper-organised and motivated that I am scaring myself, never mind people around me who have known me for a long time!

So much so that when I received an unexpected lump sum of money yesterday, I was SO fed up with the years of clutter and disorganisation from my hoarding tendencies (which are aggravated by my particular mix of issues) that the first thing I did was organise a 6 cubic metre skip bin to be delivered to my house on Friday for a week so that I have somewhere to toss all the clutter! I figure that since I don't even know what most of the clutter IS because I haven't used it in a minimum of 2 years, I won't miss it if I throw out about 90% of it (and knowing my tendencies the way I do, I'd say it's a fairly safe estimate that that is how much of it I will not NEED, at a minimum).

I'm still physically limited in how much I can do (no lifting, squatting or bending) because I'm so recently post-op, but I have my 20yo son here for that and I can stand around and supervise him and go "keep it, toss it, toss it, toss it, keep it" pretty easily lol. I also have a very good motivator (and a deadline) for getting the de-cluttering done - I have started the process to adopt 3 rescued rabbits :) The first one will be coming to my house next Friday afternoon for a bunny-proofing check and to meet us, and if it's all good the bunny will get to stay with us right away :) She's a little angora rabbit so I will have the added bonus of being able to spin her fluff - the other two rabbits I want to adopt are a bonded pair so can't be separated, and the male is an angora cross (lovely ginger-ish colour and very fluffy) with a dwarf lop cross female companion :)

So I am SCARILY motivated to remove the clutter and bunny-proof my house by the deadline, have made a ton of lists of exactly what needs doing (HFA/Aspie tendencies require me to break things down into EVERY. SINGLE. STEP so that I can follow it and stay on task to get it done, or it will all go south), and am going shopping tomorrow with Briony, who has volunteered to drive me everywhere I need to go (I don't drive but even if I did, driving is still off-limits this early after surgery) to get things done! My friend is bringing the rabbit housing over later this week, so I am aiming to have the spare room cleared by then to put them in (it is going to become a dedicated bunny room/craft studio, as angora bunnies are better as indoor pets).

In addition to the scary hyper-cleaning-and-organised state lol, I am doing things for my business that I would have baulked at before (I just organised to become the sole Western Australian stockist for my favourite brand of knitting needles, and set up a wholesale account with my favourite tea supplier so that I can sell organic and art teas as part of my regular stock). I have also planned some pretty big business equipment purchases for later in the year - a wood lathe, grinder and bandsaw, and a drum carder for making batts for spinning :D So it's all go around here at the moment - in spite of the hyper, I do have a bit of "wtf do I do with this now that things are WORKING?" in the back of my head lol because NOTHING has ever gone right for me for more than a few weeks at a time in my entire life, but I guess that will fade as I get used to it and become more confident in doing things again.

Prior to my surgery I never really had any long-term goals or anything like that - most of what I planned was at most for the next month, because things ALWAYS happened to screw it up and I never achieved what I wanted. Now, I have plans for up to the next five years, which for me is TOTALLY unheard of - not only that, but I have ALL the steps sketched out as to how to get to where I want to be! O.O

I have to say I would NEVER in a million years have anticipated that my hysto surgery would have had this kind of psychological effect on me - but there you go!

mistunderstood
09-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Nothing wrong with what you are doing and what you are feeling. You have taken a big step forward. You are no longer waiting on this or that to happen. Sounds like you feel more in control of your life. Go for it man. Run with scissors if you must. Be free and be happy.

AllieSF
09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Hmmmm, I can use a nice soft angora scarf! You know that guys knit too, don't you??

ReineD
09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow, Dan, I'm so happy to see that you're so happy!! Congratulations!!! :hugs:

DanielMacBride
09-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Allie: Sure do, been knitting for 30+ years myself and am a published knitting designer ;)

Thanks Reine, it's nice to BE so happy for the first time ever! It's a little scary how well everything is falling into place after a lifetime of struggling to get anywhere and usually falling flat on my face, but I guess I'll get used to it ;)

Thanks mistunderstood, it's very liberating and I'll get used to things going well eventually LOL :)

Leanne2
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Daniel,
I'm so sorry that you were forced to live most of your life in the wrong gender. But now you are a man and the only thing that I can say is, " Welcome Home Dan. Welcome Home! Leanne

DanielMacBride
09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Thank you, Leanne! :) It's good to BE home ;)

mistunderstood
09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
You have to post a minimum of 20 characters or it will not let you post.

DanielMacBride
09-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi Scarlet, my recovery is going nicely - still have to be very careful and not allowed to do any lifting, but otherwise I'm back to walking reasonable distances (not as much as I used to, but I'll get there) and doing most things that I would normally do, so it's all good :)