PDA

View Full Version : Let's change the name Cross Dresser given to us by someone we don't know

Kittyagain
09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing. Why don't we come up with a name for us that says who we are inside, not just outside?

With the creative minds here I bet we can bet the coldness of Cross Dresser.

Kitty

JohnH
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
How about Freestyler - meaning that we have thrown off the narrow restrictions of dress and grooming that are imposed on men.

Johanna

Rianna Humble
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing.

I'm sorry, I cannot agree with your basic premise, Cross-dresser describes what you do just as photographer, actor, teacher, firefighter and many others describe what those people do. You don't say that the word "photographer" describes that person as if they were a thiing, so why should it be true of the word that describes what you do?

ReineD
09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I agree with Rianna. Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.

... or, you can go ahead and define yourself any way you want! But if eventually you'll want to communicate who you are to someone you care about, you might find it easier to use the better known terms. :)

juno
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
I agree with Rianna. Crossdresser is an ideal term specifically because it describes an activity, and is not a label for a type of person.

JulieK1980
09-10-2011, 05:08 PM
It seems a fitting name to me. I don't think it describes us as a "thing" at all. I think it describes an activity.

Frédérique
09-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.

Describing yourself as a “crossdresser” is a convenient handle for unenlightened individuals to grasp, and, since it has a history, I assume that this term has achieved a record of success. I don’t feel any coldness emanating from it, indeed the very word “crossdresser” means something really interesting is going on, and the person doing the dressing is anything but COLD, if you know what I mean...

Pejorative – nice word, Reine! I think if you described yourself to a friend or loved one as a fetishist, a transvestite, a deviant, or simply “I like to dress-up,” pejoration is sure to follow. However, when you say “I’m a crossdresser,” there is at least a pause between what you said and the process of it “sinking in.” Unless your audience is open-minded, crossdresser will also conjure up all sorts of pejorative connotations, and saying transgendered may not apply (in this case). Since the author of the OP is displaying bras and panties as an avatar, “crossdresser” is all you need to say, IMHO...

In lieu of crossdresser, I prefer “human being.” :battingeyelashes:

Karren H
09-10-2011, 05:39 PM
How bout we don't. If it was good enough for GrandPa..... Grandma.... its good enough for me! :D

Intertwined
09-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Why do you have a need for a LABEL?

If you must have one, whats wrong with "Human"? I have actually used this, some teens being smart, asked.. "what are you supposed to be?", my reply "I'm Human, what are you supposed to be?"

I agree for different reasons, I don't like the term at all "cross-dresser", I prefer the term "Androgyne"...

Cynthia Anne
09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I can think of a lot worse things to be called!:eek: Sorry that's all I can come up with! Hugs!:heehee:

ReineD
09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Unless your audience is open-minded, crossdresser will also conjure up all sorts of pejorative connotations, and saying transgendered may not apply (in this case).

True, there are close-minded people. It's getting better though. You can see a huge difference just in the last two generations.

And to the OP, it doesn't really matter to the close-minded people what it's called. You could say, "fashion individualist", or "freedom artist", and after the initial, "huh?" followed by an explanation, if someone believes it is wrong they won't think any differently just because of the new label.

IMkrystal
09-10-2011, 08:37 PM
.....Also, you're assuming that the term "crossdresser" is pejorative. When I say that someone is a CD, I don't mean anything negative by it. It's just a way to describe a person who is crossing gender norms by dressing. You can also say your are bigender, or dualgender, and all three of these terms do fall within the "transgender" umbrella which you can also use to describe yourself.

... or, you can go ahead and define yourself any way you want! But if eventually you'll want to communicate who you are to someone you care about, you might find it easier to use the better known terms. :)

It's interesting, over time, how the different names we use to define a group change, possible out of respect of "that" group or a better understanding of the group. I like other Crossdressers find this term pejorative because little has been done to make it any less. As long as we as a group, continue to fly under the radar, there is little hope of changing society perception:2c:

sandra-leigh
09-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Cross Dresser... yes, I can see how that could put people off.

Okay, how about... Jolly Dresser? Or Happy Dresser? Or Smiling Dresser?

Wait.. I think I've got it this time: Gay Dresser!

Natalee
09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
I vote for "chick-clothes wearin' dude".

But, in all seriousness. I used to be taken aback by the terms "Tranny", or even "Transvestite", and even didn't think they applied to me, after all I was "just" a cross-dresser! Despite "Transvestite" being the technical terminology, it seemed quite cold; and the "ite" on the end, seemed like a harsh syllable I guess..

But in all honesty I've grown used to it, maybe? Gotta call me something I guess, since I'm so different than the other people ("normal-freaks") out there. So no harm done to me. I only take offence to hurtful and negative adjectives attached before or after any of the terminology.

Torrey
09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Interesting though process as therm does bang off the wall of "politically correct," but what the heck. If it can't just be "human," as Frederique said so eloquently, then so be it for me. If I did have to pick something, though, it would just be "me."

Hugs,
Torrey

sissystephanie
09-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry, Kitty, I think you are way off base here. A crossdresser is a "Person" who wears the clothing of the opposite sex!! I have never considered a person to just be a "thing,: and I don't think many other people do! There are enough labels out there already, we don't need any more!!

Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!

Natalee
09-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!

HUH!!! News to me! I definitely don't fit that by any means! I thought it was some Psych-101 lingo for a crossdresser. Thanks for the clarity on THAT!

Xenia
09-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Natalee, a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!!

Ummm.....what? I'm pretty sure the terms "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are synonymous.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
a Transvestite is a crossdresser, usually male, who dresses in order to have sex with his/her own sex!! Most of us on this forum do not fit that category!

I've done a lot of work with gender terminology, and that's the first time I've EVER seen that definition. When I was involved in editing trans related articles on wikipedia, I read a lot of reference materials including books, journals and web sites and nothing even vaguely like that was even suggested by any of the multitude of editors who expressed strong opinions on this and related subjects, let alone referenced.

Transvestite is simply a clinical term for a crossdresser. It attaches no value judgement or sexual orientation implications to the subject.

Personally, I much prefer the verb femulate (http://www.femulate.org/), and the noun femulator in describing what I do and who I am.

ReineD
09-10-2011, 11:18 PM

That's news to me too! Stephanie, I think you're the only person who believes this. Where did you ever see such a definition? :)

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transvestite

You might also want to read the whole article. :hugs:

Michelle123
09-11-2011, 06:25 AM
True, there are close-minded people. It's getting better though. You can see a huge difference just in the last two generations.

And to the OP, it doesn't really matter to the close-minded people what it's called. You could say, "fashion individualist", or "freedom artist", and after the initial, "huh?" followed by an explanation, if someone believes it is wrong they won't think any differently just because of the new label.

Hmmm, do you really think things are getting better for us? Perhaps this may be true with older, more mature people. They may be a bit more accepting of us. But the younger generation, (those under the age of 30), seem to still have a problem with not only cd,s, but also gays, minorities, older people in general, and anyone who is in any way different from them. Mind you, this is the very group that is always saying "dont be a hater", yet they display more "hate" than any other generation i can recall in my 60 yrs. of life. Just look at how they treat each other in these "social networks". Constantly attacking anyone who is different in any little way.
several yrs. ago, when I used AOL as my internet service, I would try to chat with other crossdressers on their chat rooms that were specifically for cd's. What a disaster that was. the name calling, and the hatred was just too much, and it didnt stop. It did not take me very long to just give up and stop going there.
I guess my point is, I think we have a very long way to go for total acceptance. and i personally dont expect to see it in my lifetime.

Kittyagain
09-11-2011, 06:48 AM
I have enjoyed reading all the post both supportive and non supportive. Some good thoughts from all.

When I think about some of the recent thread that suggested they are two people inside of them or they are moving more female than male or the person that perceived they had hit a wall, the word Cross Dresser is a clothing term that falls short of what we are searching for everyday. If Cross Dresser is so right why so many "Why" questions.

I just think we have a chance here to do something special.

Kitty

noeleena
09-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi,

In our groups we just get dressed up or we dress in a style or dress for a outing , now how do you see this .

My friends some 200 dress in 1400 to 1700 dress ware would you saythey or im a dresser. i dress as a Chateline Lady of the Castle, = mistriss,

& as a wench or in the field as Archer. im dressing in different styles of a by gone time, how do people perceve or see me .

The last two weekends i dressed i dressed in those two outfits seen by some 200 people both my friends & others liveing in our Waimate community & other 's from out side our borders , & i was given some nice comments.

so the ? is am i a dresser. even tho im a woman,

i tryed to get a pic up of one of my outfits . tho not sure now,

...noeleena...

diannecourtney
09-11-2011, 07:37 AM
You can call it what ever you want but the duck is still the duck to use an old refrain and I will always be Dianne.

juno
09-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Transvestite is simply a clinical term for a crossdresser. It attaches no value judgement or sexual orientation implications to the subject
There is a difference. A transvestite feels compelled to crossdress. The term crossdresser includes those who do it voluntarily, just for fun. (Of course, I have no idea why anyone would want to stop. How any men worry about being compelled to watch football?)

The clinical definition of transvestite states that it MAY have a sexual fetish component. That is where the confusions comes from thinking that transvestite only defines transvestitic fetishism.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Hmmm, do you really think things are getting better for us? Perhaps this may be true with older, more mature people. They may be a bit more accepting of us. But the younger generation, (those under the age of 30), seem to still have a problem with not only cd,s, but also gays, minorities, older people in general, and anyone who is in any way different from them. Mind you, this is the very group that is always saying "dont be a hater", yet they display more "hate" than any other generation i can recall in my 60 yrs. of life. Just look at how they treat each other in these "social networks". Constantly attacking anyone who is different in any little way.

My personal experience is very much the opposite of what you've described. I have friends ranging in age from 14 to over 70, including the daughter of the woman who does my nails, many of the other members of a beauty web site, my neighbours, my nieces, the staff and other patrons of the restaurant that my friends and I go to every week and shop staff all over the place. I am personally acquainted with well over 100 people who accept me, fewer than 10 who are neither positive or negative about me (including some who were like that even before they knew about my crossdressing) and none who have actively rejected me. I know at least 200 more people who accept me online who I haven't met yet, and I know of just 3 people online who have actively rejected me.

Things are getting better for us all the time. I see things improving from week to week, month to month and year to year. Not being able to see this says more about the personal fear of the observer than about the society around us.

Tina B.
09-11-2011, 09:10 AM
It's funny how years ago, we where all transvestites, but oh, that was such a evil word, we had to think of a new name for it that sounded nicer. So someone said lets call ourselves cross dressers, it's what we do, and it sounds much better! But now some people have a distasteful look on there face when they hear that, so people want to change the name again. Well you can call it style dressing, or what ever, and inside of six months, some one will say, ugh, a style dresser, how weird, and we can all start looking for the next new name. We are transvestites/cross dressers, and as the Bard once said, "a Rose by any other name, would it not smell so sweet?" It's not about what we call ourselves, it's about how we are perceived by the world, and names will not change that. And it is changing, I live in a small town in way northern California, and Yesterday we had our pride parade. It's small, and not much of a crowd watching it, but they marched, first the Trans Pride group lead off, then the local college band, then a hand full of gays, and PFLAG, and just about every church in town it seemed like, had a group carrying signs of inclusion, and support. I had never seen so many churches involved in all the parades I've seen anywhere, as they are, here and now. Funny now that I think of it, no one used the term cross dresser, just Trans Pride, they seem to think of us all as one group, I wonder why we don't?
Tina B.

Tina B.

ReineD
09-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, do you really think things are getting better for us?

...I guess my point is, I think we have a very long way to go for total acceptance. and i personally dont expect to see it in my lifetime.

I agree there is nowhere near total societal acceptance, but things have changed. Just read the accounts of the younger people here.

CarlaWestin
09-11-2011, 10:14 AM
The words Cross Dresser describes us as if we were a thing. Why don't we come up with a name for us that says who we are inside, not just outside?

Kitty

I've always had positive response when describing my self as "gender-fluid" or "gender-blender" Hmm? I could use a drink.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
There is a difference. A transvestite feels compelled to crossdress. The term crossdresser includes those who do it voluntarily, just for fun. (Of course, I have no idea why anyone would want to stop. How any men worry about being compelled to watch football?)

The clinical definition of transvestite states that it MAY have a sexual fetish component. That is where the confusions comes from thinking that transvestite only defines transvestitic fetishism.

From memory, the usual definition of crossdresser is equivalent to transvestite, being a person who feels compulsion. The term implies habitual activity or compulsive desire, even if not acted upon. Crossdress, crossdressing and crossdressed apply to anybody dressed in the attire socially accepted as normal for a person of the gender opposite to their birth sex, regardless of whether it is habitual (ie that they are a crossdresser) or not.

Julogden
09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Crossdresser is a term that came about largely because we didn't like the rather clinical term "transvestite". I don't feel that crossdresser has any baggage. Regardless of what term, we use, it's what we do that some people have issues with, not what we call ourselves.

Virginia Prince tried to get us to call ourselves femmophiles (femmiphiles?) many years ago, meaning "lovers of the feminine", but it sounds too much like a mental disorder to me, and apparently to others, as it never caught on much. Not one of Virginia's better ideas.

Carol

ReineD
09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
There is a difference. A transvestite feels compelled to crossdress. The term crossdresser includes those who do it voluntarily, just for fun.

I'll direct you to the link in post #20. Take a look at the reference sources at the bottom of the article. Here's the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transvestite

The terms "transvestite" and "crossdresser" are interchangeable, although I've noticed more people in the US use "CD" while overseas "TV" is more common. And yes, they both may have a sexual component.

*Vanessa*
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
I'll direct you to the link in post #20. Take a look at the reference sources at the bottom of the article. Here's the link again:

The terms "transvestite" and "crossdresser" are interchangeable, although I've noticed more people in the US use "CD" while overseas "TV" is more common. And yes, they both may have a sexual component.

The term I am currently mulling around is "Transgender". It is a term that is very fluid and evolving. As it transforms it takes on different subtleties. The most fitting explanation for me today includes; All aspects of both male and female and in the context of M-to-F that may also include some type of hormone therapy, some electrolysis possible. But more importantly the ability to function in the world as either and both a male and/or female. They are not transsexuals nor are they transvestites.

Growing up there were the terms Transvestite and Transsexual and later cross-dressers.
- Transvestite had a homosexual component, while
- Cross-dressers were strictly hetero.
- Transsexual were those males who feel they are females 'caught in a male body'.

So, Transgendered persons are (today) people who feel they are of both sex at the same time. A complete person if you will.

Just my thoughts. I relate to the later. :)

ReineD
09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Just my thoughts. I relate to the later. :)

You should read the first part of the article, and also look at all the references at the bottom if you have time. Just about everyone here falls under the transgender umbrella, and this is an entirely appropriate term to use as well. :)

Lorileah
09-11-2011, 12:48 PM
the younger generation, (those under the age of 30), seem to still have a problem with not only cd,s, but also gays, minorities, older people in general, and anyone who is in any way different from them.
Wow I must have missed all that because when I am in public, the younger people are the ones who seem more accepting. They are the ones who want to talk and they are the ones who compliment me most. They are also the ones who are flowing into the the "gay" roles of touching, hugging an even kissing. But maybe that is more in an urban environment.

I guess my point is, I think we have a very long way to go for total acceptance. and i personally dont expect to see it in my lifetime.

I agree that we will not be totally accepted in our lifetime. But what I see with my rose color glasses is that it will become more accepted and less noticeable, but then again I thought the 70's had less distinct gender lines.

I like transgender as a term and I think we need a term. It covers a myriad of things. Unfortunately it also seems to be a buzz word that certain L&G's believe holds them back and in everyday life people also assume it means we want to have SRS. This has been discussed before and as group we have not stepped up because we still have a huge part of the community who see themselves as a "bad" thing. The word crossdresser reinforces that in the general society because it is used for every news story in which a man wears a dress or skirt to commit an illegal act (or immoral but that in and of itself is nebulous). Gays, though still a long way from "total" acceptance have at least inserted themselves into "normal" society (even having several positive characters in sitcoms and dramas). we however don't get positive characters even though we are for the most part mainstream people in everyday life (how many are husbands, fathers, grandparents, all around contributors to society in general except the "dirty little secret" we believe we have?). The word (or words) cross dresser are innocuous really. But the USE of those words by others make it a bad thing. I don't have a good answer as to what we should call ourselves but look at how groups grab a term and put it out there when they strive to be accepted. We need to make a term our own and then use that in a positive light. Cross dresser will work IF we keep media from using it when they want to make a splash. Transgender will work IF we agree that it isn't just ONE thing. But we need to pick one.

Lynn Marie
09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Kitty

Naaaaaaa. Let's not.

t-girlxsophie
09-11-2011, 01:06 PM
I get into enough trouble for describing myself at times as a Transvestite,used it for many years before coming on this site,but do use Crossdresser here out of courtesy,as I know a lot here dont like the TV term.I know in myself why I do what I do and sorry Stephanie I totally respect you,but I AM a Transvestite and I dont fit your explanation of what this means.in any shape or form

Sophie

Rianna Humble
09-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I like transgender as a term and I think we need a term. It covers a myriad of things. Unfortunately it also seems to be a buzz word that certain L&G's believe holds them back

This must be one of those transatlantic differences (I hope it's OK to use the T word in this context :heehee:) - on my side of the puddle, young L',s G's and B's refer to themselves as being "LGBT" rather than any of the component words.

Kaitlyn26
09-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I think that since it is 9/11, and this thread did get bumped to the top just now, we will rename the term "cross dresser" to Freedom Dresser! Make it so Number One.

Kittyagain
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
This all got started with my wife. For all these years we had never applied a name to who I am. Then I mentioned this forum by name and I could tell by the look on her face, she reacted to the name in a negative way. My wife is very, very supportive in all aspects of the true me so that is not the problem. As Lorileah posted, the image in the public eye is negative even if they know one of us or not.

I just think we can do better than Crossdresser which is not even a defined word with Webster.

:) Not many people are catching but I will keep pitching.

Kitty

Kaitlyn26
09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
This all got started with my wife. For all these years we had never applied a name to who I am. Then I mentioned this forum by name and I could tell by the look on her face, she reacted to the name in a negative way. My wife is very, very supportive in all aspects of the true me so that is not the problem. As Lorileah posted, the image in the public eye is negative even if they know one of us or not.

I just think we can do better than Crossdresser which is not even a defined word with Webster.

:) Not many people are catching but I will keep pitching.

Kitty

I've caught your pitch. Did you catch mine?

It's going to take a bit more than a thread on the internet to change our "label". Even if you can change it, there may be others that like the term and do not wish to be called anything else. If you don't want to be called cross dresser, then describe yourself as something else. The people you are describing yourself to will most likely address you by the term you wish to be called.

Kittyagain
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Kaitlyn, you a certainly right about a single thread not changing our name but it is rare historians to be able to unearth the beginning of a new idea.

Freedom Dresser, the name sure fits the day.

Lots of good post. I thank you all for considering the proposal.

Kitty

Kaitlyn26
09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I think the change of a term generally comes from a small person using it themselves. If the population that it describes, likes it, then it catches on. So make up something good. :)

Oh, and wait 20-30 years. :p

JulieK1980
09-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Make it so Number One.

I suddenly have a strange craving for Earl Grey Tea.....Hot.

Kaitlyn26
09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I suddenly have a strange craving for Earl Grey Tea.....Hot.

Just make sure to execute "the Picard maneuver" properly when you get up to get it.

NicoleScott
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
There is a difference. A transvestite feels compelled to crossdress. The term crossdresser includes those who do it voluntarily, just for fun.

Like smokers, I guess. It's funny how the most addicted smokers claim they smoke because they enjoy it.

Kittyagain
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Educe Effeminate, I started a new post. :) Remember it began here.

Kitty

DonnaT
09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Virginia Prince coined the word crossdresser because, at the time, the term 'transvestite' was being used in this country as a pejorative and came with the meaning a man who dresses in women's clothes and is associated with homosexuality.

Even though, contrary to Virginia's intent (the reason she founded Tri-Ess), crossdressers can be gay or straight, at least it is not used a a pejorative.

When I told my wife 36 yrs ago I was a transvestite, because the term crossdresser wasn't yet in vogue, she looked it up in the dictionary and immediately became non accepting due to the above definition. Prior to me using that word, she was accepting and we had fun with it.

Kittyagain
09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
That is interesting Donna, I did not know that.

Kitty

Suzette Muguet de Mai
09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
I agree with AliceJaneinNewcastle. Femulator is a nice name and the verb femulate is a very appropriate way to describe what we do. The website Femulate.org describes it quite well. Although why do we need to complicate the name like botanical or even biological names. Complexity brings confusion and crikey am I getting confused as my emotions oscillate working out if I want to TG/TS/TV/CD or what next. Please label it as you like but are we going to find a name for those who like to wear womens clothes only, or those who like dresses only or those who want to appear as feminine as they can or what else? I say Crossdressers/Transexual/Transgendered/Transvestite/*******/Ladyboy/Mtf/Ftm/TransMen,Trannie and have I missed any, are enough and CD is a good place to begin the search for yourself if you need. Labels are ok if they are accepted and used but what sub levels do we place on a label?
Maybe I should just say I am a person, gender neutral but I know that is a lie, as me saying I am male but I know I am not male, just a body stuffed up trying to fit into societies label MALE.

ReineD
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I agree with AliceJaneinNewcastle. Femulator is a nice name

Well, if we get to vote, I don't like "femulator". Reminds me too much of "terminator". I get all kinds of images of robotic killers with that name. :p

Rianna Humble
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Personally, I much prefer the verb femulate (http://www.femulate.org/), and the noun femulator in describing what I do and who I am.

That may indeed be a good term for what you do and who you are, but how would it apply to our FtM brethren?

I agree with AliceJaneinNewcastle. Femulator is a nice name and the verb femulate is a very appropriate way to describe what we do.

In what way would you say that an FtM cross-dresser is imitating, copying or trying to be like a female?

How does that term apply to those who state that they are cross-dressing for the clothes not to imitate a woman?

Well, if we get to vote, I don't like "femulator". Reminds me too much of "terminator". I get all kinds of images of robotic killers with that name. :p

:rofl: :rofl: :roflmao:

Elizabeth Ann
09-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Okay, I'll play:

I used to be just a boy, but now I am Gender Enhanced, due to the fact that I have an Adjustable Gender Presentation. Why, I am proud to possess a Broad Gender Spectrum, since it gives me the Gender Flexibility to have a Customized Gender. Unfortunately, I am not sophisticated enough to give you my Gender Split stat. I know I am not an M50/F50. I am probably closer to an M75/F25.

Genderly yours,
Liz

slamddoger
09-13-2011, 07:35 AM
how about part time women

RachelPortugal
09-13-2011, 12:13 PM
So the request for a new word to describe us has turned into the much discussed CD vs TV subject.

If you check out the many online dictionaries, the definitions vary, but I think it is fair to say that "crossdresser" and "transvestite" are synonyms in the English language, but eymologically speaking one has Germanic origins and the other has Latin origins. Languages evolve and some words go out of fashion or lose their original meaning.

As for TV being more common overseas, now living in Portugal, "Crossdresser" is the most used term, despite having a Latin based language. The correct Portuguese term is "travesti" which also means travesty or parody. "Travesti" seems to be used more in respect those who prostitute themselves as the small ads in the tabloid press here clearly demonstrates.

Getting back to the origin of this thread, I too think the word "femulator" has promise. Who know's in years to come CD could be looked upon as derogatory just as some consider TV as derogatory now.

For now, call me what you like. I enjoy what I do and will continue to do so, whatever anyone chooses to call it.

However, when one closes up shop, does one put up a sign "Gone fishing" or "Gone angling", or in my case "Gone CD'ing" or "Gone TV'ing". What's in a word?

Kittyagain
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM

This is a really good example of a different perspective. Something we haven't thought of yet. Marketing some might say. Like a bar of soap, you can market it with it gets you clean campaign or make the play that it is refreshing. Cross Dressing gets us there but it sure doesn't say what we expect from cross dressing.

Kitty

Rianna Humble
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM

Well, it has the advantage of only upsetting rather than excluding the FtM's amongst us ...

BLUE ORCHID
09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Kitty, It's who I am It's what I do.

Orchid

Kittyagain
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Orchid, Cheryl had said in another post, "Just call me Cheryl." I think you are both exactly right.

I think that is the best answer of all. I lot of others had posted that we don't need any special titles as well.

I was wrong on looking for another name to replace cross dresser. I just want use it very much since Kitty is the right name.

Thanks everyone.

Kitty.

Rianna Humble
09-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I was wrong

It takes a very big person to be able to say those words. Kudos to you, Kitty :hugs:

pinto
09-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Part time woman or female is good otherwise i also like the terms womyn and gurls. Crossdresser has a discriminating touch, at least subjectively.

Kaitlyn26
09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I was wrong on looking for another name to replace cross dresser. I just want use it very much since Kitty is the right name.

Thanks everyone.

Kitty.

Good job. Now you're getting it. ;)

AliceJaneInNewcastle
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM
That may indeed be a good term for what you do and who you are, but how would it apply to our FtM brethren?

Given that this discussion is specifically in the M2F section of the site, I think that it is clear that there was no intention of applying it to F2Ms.

The large transgender umbrella term covers all of the gender variant members here (with the exception of transvestic fetishists according to the definition of that term). I see no reason why it would be any more insulting or exclusionary to F2Ms that M2Fs have a gender specific descriptive term than the other way around. After all, there are already transwomen and transmen, and I don't believe that either group takes exception to the other...

Angela d'Evial
09-17-2011, 12:07 AM
what about " FEMINDED " or " FEMINDERS "

Rianna Humble
09-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Given that this discussion is specifically in the M2F section of the site, I think that it is clear that there was no intention of applying it to F2Ms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the gist of the reason given for wanting to change the term was that it was felt to be insulting, is your argument that the term cross-dresser is only insulting if you are MtF but not if you are FtM?

Amandyne
09-17-2011, 01:59 AM
I agree with the idea that transvestite is a pejorative word, whereas crossdresser looks kinda neutral.
Plus, crossdresser is cool. It's a dude that dresses with a X. Like a PIRATE FLAG ! Or a PIRATE MAP ! Hence, that's very cool.

However, if we were to change the word, I'd vote for this one :

I vote for "chick-clothes wearin' dude".

But hey, chickclotheswearindudes.com would be a hassle to type.

Katrina Black
09-17-2011, 02:51 AM
I have allways liked the abreviation "T GURLS" it takes the "t" from all the trans words and acts like the "x" or cross of "crossdressers .And "GURLS" is just another way to say girl for someone who wasn't exactly born as one... and it just sounds pretty

lijdi
09-17-2011, 06:34 AM
I agree with the idea that transvestite is a pejorative word, whereas crossdresser looks kinda neutral.
Plus, crossdresser is cool. It's a dude that dresses with a X. Like a PIRATE FLAG ! Or a PIRATE MAP ! Hence, that's very cool.

However, if we were to change the word, I'd vote for this one :

But hey, chickclotheswearindudes.com would be a hassle to type.

I don't like being called a tranvestite, I prefer crossdresser, but even then if I refer to my crossdressing, I normally refer to my female name, Lizzie. Whilst in male mode, I'd say, ask my girlfriend, 'Do you think I should buy Lizzie some... (thinks hard for an example) purple tights?'.

jillleanne
09-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Kitty

I did, years ago. " gender enhanced "

Alexacdx
09-17-2011, 09:17 AM

Kitty

I like the sound of it tho, crossdresser (for me!) is the exact same thing as man or woman. Just a term used to describe a person.

Iskandra
09-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Bloody bloody!!!!!
Not another box to crawl out of!!!
Uhh well actually yeah!
Change the way people think of clothes, remove gender from clothes...
Not clothes from gender..
Or would that remove the turn on too much?!

What if tomorrow all clothes were unisex.. Hmmm..

Rianna Humble
09-17-2011, 01:04 PM
What if tomorrow all clothes were unisex.. Hmmm..

I would still wear women's clothes

Ressie
09-17-2011, 09:31 PM
It should be pronounced like aphrodite; transvestity lol

Transvestite - Trans=cross, vest=dress. I've never seen a definition that included homosexual, and I've looked it up in quite a few sources over the years. But for some reason, the word invokes images of Rocky Horror with the fishnet stockings, black hair, and black eye shadow. I prefer crossdresser as it sounds more like Phil Donahue wearing a skirt on his show. Is it one word yet or is it still cross dresser?

Stephanie47
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I have to stay with Cross-dresser. It describes Stephanie is general terms just as the term photographer describes a person who takes pictures. When the need arises Stephanie and Steve can have a discussion of who she and he are, just like a photographer can relate what area of photography he or she shoots.