PDA

View Full Version : Another getting out of the house thread.

Wendy_Marie
09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
This thread is intended to address those of us who have decided that we want to get out of the house dressed enfemme….I don’t want to question your personal motivations or make it seem that it is intended to create peer pressure trying drive someone out the door….So lets assume you have decided that it’s time and you are ready, willing and able to get out into the world.

For me, there never was a question of do I or don’t I? Will I, or Won’t I…? Its was more like when and where do I go…and all this began as I have related in other threads when I was eight…..I faked being sick, dressed when everyone left the house then spent a good part of the day just playing at a local public park.

Looking back on it now the scariest part for me was just walking over the threshold of my door I made several false starts and it took me a long time to work up the nerve to do so.....the walk too and from was just as scary not because I was now out of the house but as many cars passed me by...I just knew Mom was in everyone of them and was going to come home from work early and catch me.
It’s funny too as I remember being more scared of being caught for lying about being sick than I feared being caught in my sundress and sandals.

I want to address two areas of getting out that I feel are important enough to be open for discussion…this is the When’s and the where’s….

It seems that personal safety usually takes a back seat to the fear of being seen or found out by those who are preparing for their first foray out of the confines of their homes.
I understand these concerns and of fearing the implications that may affect ones job, family etc….But isn’t it also placing these self same concerns in jeopardy if you decide to make your debut outing in a less than safe environment…?

We have discussed on this forum things like “Not going anywhere dressed that a GG wouldn’t go” and perhaps this is just rehashing this tired old chestnut to some…but it is worth repeating in my mind over and over if it gives just one person peace of mind and information to make this first outing a safer one.

Personally I would rather see the first timer making plans to go shopping in a Female Clothing Store an Outlet Mall, Thrift Shop etc.... in broad daylight than to hear of plans for driving to a strange town and walking enfemme through a park in the middle of the night…

With this one sentence I have addressed the where I would prefer and the when’s…now lets address the why’s.

It has been my experience that I have had less issues going to the Grocery store, running errands etc…in the morning hours than I have had while going to TG Support group meetings, getting dinner or just going for ice cream after the sun goes down.
If your gonna do the park..take an early morning stroll...your most likely to run across other GG's and males who are there for excercise and too preoccupied with their running and walking to care what you are wearing.

I am not trying to stereotype anyone…but like it or not…..there is a difference in the mindset and in the people one is most likely to run across in the morning hours as opposed to the people we might come across after the sun sets…. Yes, especially to those who aren’t morning people like I am, it means getting up early and showering, shaving putting on your make up…but what a great way to start a new day.

Crowded Malls are scary but they also have security and anyone looking to start trouble is aware of the consequences they may have to face for acting out in such an environment…this won’t stop every encounter…but it does give the everyday wannabe thug types a reason to pause…

No this won’t assure that no one confronts you or snickers behind your back or even to your face…but at least it is a safer environment than a walk through a parking lot at night...and even in these deserted parking facilities there is still the same chances of being found out.

When traveling and that dreaded rest room stop is needed, I will choose a busier truck stop facility over a deserted hole in the wall type Gas Station for the same reason…Safety in numbers and most likely anyone out for trouble is less likely to start a real physical confrontation with witnesses around. yes, I have been psyched out of using same said facilities recently but for every bad encounter I have had in these...I have had 10 or more uneventful ones.

If your ready to venture out…just be mentally prepared for what you may encounter…think your options through and don’t fear being out…Just try and use good judgment and make good decisions….above all…be Safe.

Cynthia Anne
09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
What a great veiw of things you have Wendy Marie! I agree with you whoe heartedly! Thank you! Hugs!

AllieSF
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Good suggestions. I also think that some need to first just cross the threshold of their own house before crossing the one that leads into a location full of a lot of people. I like the small steps approach for those that carry a lot of fear, worry or whatever that holds them back from taking action to reach their desired goal of getting out. I would recommend walks or drives where you will only meet a few people in a passing by situation versus needing to stand next to them looking for something to buy. I think that once the leaving the house goal has been reached with success and the self confidence increased, shopping or walking the city streets during the day can help alleviate the next common fear for some, having other people see them, maybe stare at them or maybe have some positive or not so positive reaction to that. Even shopping for women's clothing and accessories in male mode helps build up that courage.

I am sure that there are more recommendations out there.