PDA

View Full Version : Names and Title of Things?

Sarasometimes
09-12-2011, 01:33 PM
The other day I was getting a boring men's haircut and as I was waiting I glanced through the menu of services and there under Men's Services was Hand Detailing and Foot Tune Up, aka mani/pedi. I wondered if the name change has increased men making appointments.
This got me thinking about whether there are other examples of this in other stores/ areas?
What is your thought on how this affects how John Q. Macho reacts to this stuff? For me I can't see it influencing me but then again I'm registered on this forum. What do you think/ Other examples?

kimdl93
09-12-2011, 01:41 PM
I was surprised to learn that detailing a car was a fancier (and more expensive) term for washing and vacuuming my car.

Karren H
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
I like the term "manscaping"! Lol.

Vickie_CDTV
09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Out of curiosity, did it include nail polish as well? (clear or otherwise)

sissystephanie
09-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I think I will go along with Karren on this one!

Kim, detailing a car means much more than washing and vacuuming it. The job is more expensive because they do so much more cleaning, in places you probably never even thought of!! It is most often done to make the car look like a completely new car!

BLUE ORCHID
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Sara, If you asked for something like that at my barber shot you would probably get the $#!+ kicked out of you.

Orchid

kimdl93
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I think I will go along with Karren on this one!

Kim, detailing a car means much more than washing and vacuuming it. The job is more expensive because they do so much more cleaning, in places you probably never even thought of!! It is most often done to make the car look like a completely new car!

Stephanie - You've never seen me clean my car :)

Cynthia Anne
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I havn't been in a barber shop since I was 16! A girl has no reason to be there!! Hugs!

Karren H
09-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Stephanie - You've never seen me clean my car :)

I open all the doors and get out the leaf blower!! 175 mph winds beat a vacuum any day! Lol.

Jessica Ames
09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
As far as mani/pedi's go, I feel like the stigma that most men have about coming across as femme is slowly fading. Mani/pedi's have become popular among upper class men to keep well-groomed. Obviously, there was the whole "Metrosexual" thing that seemed to, at least lose it's label. I never even feel challenged by getting a mani/pedi anymore when I go in male mode, tattoos and all!

Karren H
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
In many cities the ofer a Manzilian? Just like a Brazilian.... Any guy can go get his peep waxed!! Lol

Sarasometimes
09-12-2011, 09:31 PM
Out of curiosity, did it include nail polish as well? (clear or otherwise)
It wasn't mentioned in the description. It said "optional quick buff". I think mentioning polish would have undone any of the other BS may have accomplished.

PretzelGirl
09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
One of the terms that seems newer to me is "gently used". So the clothes you buy at Goodwill are going to be gently used. I'd like to see them say that about a used hammer!

Sarasometimes
09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
As for the guys that this works on, doesn't it indicate a real insecurity? I have been getting facials, manicures and pedicure enmale because I want to regardless of what they are called. I feel the same way when I see a guy standing just outside the lingerie or women's department waiting for his SO to pick something. What is his fear? The clothes have never jumped of the rack onto me (Hey clothes, I still waiting for you to do this). If his buddies see him, they will still think he is whipped since he got dragged along by her to the mall. I think walking into the department takes more confidnece than standing on the edge peering in.