PDA

View Full Version : I came out to my hair stylist and...

Brynn_A
09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I had been trying to figure out how to describe my wishes or my hair yo my stylist and had come up empty. I finally decided that just telling her offered the best option for getting to where I want to be.
On my visit yesterday, when she asked how much to take off, I gave her an approximation and then added my desire for a cut that could be both reasonably masculine, with the larger purpose to be able to be very feminine. After that I told her that I CD and watched in the mirror as a slight smile came to her face.
She started cutting and talking. After a couple of minutes, she assured me that there was nothing wrong with being a CD..then came the surprise. It turns out that she has been post-op for about a year! I honestly had no idea, but needless to say, the rest of the appointment was a wonderful time, not to mention that the cut I got was much more in line with what I wanted.
I just wanted to share.

Brynn

Inna
09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Miracles hon, little connections which we often mistake for coincidence, in fact are there in our lives everyday. Letting go and truth take over is the mechanism of allowing to see these miracles through the eyes of our heart. What a wonderful connection you had made, but it happened for a reason. I had experienced same awakening year ago, and let go of secrecy and found out that acceptance and love is there in abundance and way more then I ever expected.

I love your story, and sure to love your hair :)

Jodi
09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
About 10 years ago, I decided to come out to my stylist. She has cut my hair for 25 years. Her salon does wigs and I wanted to begin getting my wigs from her. When i told her. She smiled and told me that her son, who I have known since he was a small child, was a drag queen. She said that she has waxed his back for years. Being a cd. No big deal.

Go figure. Why do we have fears?

Jodi

CatAttack
09-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Haha, that is an awesome story. Small world, isn't it?

StephanieC
09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Great story...I'm happy you had the strength to voice your opinion. I did the same thing to mine about a month or two ago and she was ecstatic. Her comment: "you know, things will never be the same".

-stephani

Jillian Faith
09-17-2011, 12:53 PM
What a great story! Thank you for sharing!

sara.s
09-17-2011, 01:57 PM
wow! what a coincidence.

Brynn_A
09-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes, it is a very small world and a wonderful coincidence. I'm quite sure that in the future our conversations during my cuts will be a LOT more fun.

Diane Smith
09-19-2011, 01:13 AM
I've never had any problems with acceptance from anyone in the beauty industry. Not only do they tend to be tolerant of eccentricities in general (or have their own personal experiences with gender issues), they like making people look good and usually enjoy the technical and artistic challenge of working with us.

- Diane

Lexine
09-19-2011, 01:31 AM
I actually came out to my hair stylist in July. I saw him last year when I was reinventing my boy side and came back to him in July. My hair stylist, who was guy, was surprised how long and unkempt my hair looked after a year of not seeing him. I felt then, at the time, that I should tell him what's going on so I can benefit a lot more from his knowledge of styling hair.

I told him that I go out clubbing in West Hollywood from time to time and that I go out as a girl. I assured him that I wasn't gay (not that it mattered) but that I was very fascinated with manifesting myself as a girl from time to time and not have to worry about the pressures that come with being a guy at any club. He was curious then and, not having seen me as a girl, proceeded to work on my hair and styled it.

Since then, I've slowly started showing him pics of me as a girl. It pleasantly surprises him a bit, seeing as how he's never seen me that way, and even said plenty of times that I looked beautiful as a girl. I've also asked him a couple of times to style my hair for events that I'm going to and each time I'd show him the product of how I made myself up, which makes working on me a bit more fun to do. And so we've gotten to this point where we've reached a sort of partnership when I want to go out... he does my hair, I do my makeup, and I show him the final product. And we're both happy in the process :)

marny
09-19-2011, 01:31 AM
today you might mistake me for Jack Nicholson. I'm letting my hair grow out so that she can do something with it. she has seen me partly enfemme. I think she;ll seee it as fun.

marlaNYC
09-19-2011, 06:31 AM
small world indeed. i just did exactly the same, about a month ago. i had set up the appointment online and made sure that the salon and the stylist were aware of why i was coming in. and these were complete strangers to me. they could not have been any more welcoming, supportive and friendly. i floated away with the beginnings of my femme style hair. congrats to you - it's an awesome feeling to be accepted!

i'm new here and hope to contribute, not lurk :)

Brynn_A
10-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I posted. Life has been busy. I had a few minutes this morning and thought I'd show you where my hair is now. Be kind, as this is a very regular shave and extremely minimal makeup. I'm shooting for about 3-6 inches longer on the sides and back eventually and the top still has a bit of catching up to do but it is all mine which will be nice for some dressing situations for me.