PDA

View Full Version : Measuring stick

Helen_Highwater
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
As a 5’11” (mainly) closet dresser I try to gauge how “passable” I am by looking at photo’s of others while they’re standing in front of a door as, at least in the UK, a standard door is 6’6”. This gives me a measure, a comparison to judge how tall others are, especially in heels.

It does seem that looking at photo sharing sites such as Flickr there are many gorgeous looking CD’s/TV’s who are above average GG height.

This gives me both the inspiration to venture out, while at the same fills me with envy as to how they can look so convincing while I look like, well a man in woman’s clothing. I must say that it also inspires me to try harder to bridge that void between my male self and Helen my alter ego.

Who else makes these comparisons?

Kaitlyn26
09-16-2011, 08:55 PM
It's hard to get a clear perspective on height. Standing a few feet in front of a door will make the person appear to come up higher on the door than they actually are.

I wouldn't worry as much about size as everyone does. I've seen some GGs that were over 6'5" in heels. It makes you the center of attention for sure, but it doesn't make you any bigger than a big GG. I went to school with a GG that was 6'3" tall. Now that was one tall girl!

Also, note that she was not the only tall girl. I've heard others say that they perceive 5'9" as a tall woman, when in reality, I know many GGs between 5'9" and 6'. Doctors say human beings are getting taller, and I think they've even got evidence to support it. So, make sure your perspective is actually correct, and that you're not going by only your age group.

Staci G
09-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I have you by 3 inches without heels, but that don't stop me from venturing out. I love to go out dressed, sure there are the looks and all that but i am over it they need to be as well. I went out today and bought the prettiest heels and then went to another store to buy pantyhose. Wonderful times, so don't let the height hold you back. I tried to compare myself to GGs in the past but not I just do the best I can and deal with it.

sissystephanie
09-16-2011, 08:57 PM
As a 5' 10" dresser, I have in the past made the same comparisons. When my wife was still alive, she would laugh at me for doing the comparisons. She always told me that when I went out in public, no one knew that I was really a man. That was because she did my makeup and fixed my wig, and she was an expert!! She died 6 years ago, and since then I no longer try to pass! I am not good at all with makeup or a wig!! I still dress completely enfemme and go out in public that way, but looking like the man that I am!! Been doing that for 6 years now, and still have not heard one negative comment!! I dress to please myself and no one else!!

TGMarla
09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, this isn't really rocket science, is it? My wife is 5' 4", and is of quite average height for a woman. I'm 5' 9" barefoot, and with heels on, it puts me at 6' even or more, depending on the heel. So yeah, I'm guessing that most of us are a bit taller than your average GG.

Brynn_A
09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I think that also, where you live in the world may have something to do with it. I'm 5" 9" barefoot, which makes me at least 6' in heels. In my area of the US, a woman my height or even taller is hardly unusual. I get my perspective while I'm at work or just out doing routine things. When I notice a lady my height or taller I glance to see if she's wearing heels or not. Quite often they are not.
Moral being, there are tall women just as there are short men. Go out, enjoy your heels and walk with pride. That will automatically make you more "passable"

Stephanie47
09-16-2011, 09:23 PM
At an even six foot I feel I would stand out! Add even a low heel and I'm six foot two. I do not think six foot is a dead giveaway. It's the 200 pound frame, even though I'm height to weight proportional I really enjoyed being six foot until I progressed into a full fledged must dress all the way cross-dresser. Now I wish I was five foot six. My wife is five foot two. And, being five foot six plus heels would make me fit in nicely with the surroundings. Now, as to physic I'd have to stay trim. Men carry their excess weight in the belly, while woman are more pear shaped. At five foot six I'd have great motivation to stay slim and trim.

Many of the tall women (six foot plus or even five foot ten+) I see have delicate facial features. I'm resigned to the fact that I will always look like a guy in a dress. Fortunately, when I look in the mirror I see a lovely woman.

Danni Renee
09-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I certainly look to "measure" up. I am 6' and I do not wear heels so I do not appear too tall.

Danni

christina s
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I've dated some Amazonians so height honestly doesn't play that big of a factor to me . I just try to keep the heels below 4 inches:)

Karren H
09-16-2011, 09:33 PM
The standard US door is 6' 8". Opening is mor liike 6' 9" so you can compare apples and apples. I'm 5' 9". And srhrinking. Wear 3" heels typically.

Barbara Dugan
09-16-2011, 09:39 PM
It's hard for me to avoid making comparisons, even I am only 5'9'' not exactly tall but I happen to be Hispanic from Mexican descend and most of my friends and relatives are on the very short side.

Jackiefl
09-17-2011, 01:08 AM
i'm sure glad i don't have the problem of being over 6ft tall,i am only 5ft 13in so i always wear heels of different heights lol

Sinatvcd
09-17-2011, 01:19 AM
well i stand 5'10" w/o heels and do like and wear up to 8" heels ( i know it hurts and no dancing the night away in them LOL ) i'm comfortable in up to 4". does that make me to tall ?! Hell no ! and if, who cares ! its about what i like

Kathy4ever
09-17-2011, 04:35 AM
I.m 5-10. I don't worry about the height as much as the gut and shoulders. Those two will give you away faster than the height. There are tall girls but big boned like us or few except the steroid woman who are in the olympics.

ThiHi
09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Being 5'4 1/2" (5-5 on a good day) I think is a reason I get ma'amed a lot, regardless of what I'm wearing. That, and the long hair and being thin-ish as well.

Vieja
09-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I always wanted to be tall but at 5'6" and shrinking it was a vain hope. Alas!

Vieja

StarrOfDelite
09-17-2011, 12:30 PM
I think that body mass, hip/waist/chest ratio, and silhouette are both more important to Passing than height per se. I'm 5-11 and have a slender-athletic male physique, and I am always more self-conscious about narrow, flat hips, broad shoulders, and muscular arms than my height.

Eryn
09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
At 6' 2" there's no getting around it, I'm tall. I'm 95th percentile for males, 99th for females.

However, it is a matter of perception. To the average person, half the population is taller than they are, so someone a couple of inches "taller than tall" isn't that apparent. The only people you stand out for are the tall segment of the population. When I'm out dressed I get the hardest looks from the 5' 10"+ women. Of course, they're getting more attention from me as well!

I tend to stick with flats, though I do have heels for fun.