PDA

View Full Version : How many are close with their mother and/or not close to their father?

brassieres
09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I was alwayd close with my mom. My father was the typical macho male. My parents divorced whrn young. Just wondering if others had simular experiences?

Karren H
09-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I was equally distant from both of them!

Savannah Daniels
09-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Closer to my Mother. Not that my Dad doesn't love me, he's just not demonstrative, very quiet.

Intertwined
09-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Keep your hands and arms, inside the vehicle at all times, this is a bumpy ride...

1st; No, I wasn't really close to my dad, he was not close or open to anyone that I could recall.

Mom & Dad seperate when I was 2 years old.

Joint custody...!

1 year, I would live with mom in Oceanside, dad would come and pick me up on weekends and I would stay with him in San Clemente

Next year, I would live with dad, and he would take me to my moms for the weekends.

2 elementary schools, Palmquest & Ole Hanson
2 Middle schools, Lincoln Jr. High & Shorecliffs Middle
2 High Schools, El Camino High & San Clemente High

And I wonder why I am so screwed up?

sandra-leigh
09-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I think I was perhaps closer to my father when he was alive. My interest in sciences of various kinds, I got from him, and I loved when we would go to museums or field trips or when he would take me to work and let me hang around in his electro/mechanical lab.

But my father died when I was 13, and my sister and I had to really step in and take on a lot, and in time I became close to my mother. During my sister's Rebellious Teen years, I was closer to my mother than my sister was, but once my sister settled down she and my mother became very close.

I moved about 1000 miles away from my mother about 20 years ago, for work reasons; I've been thinking for a few years that I should move back to be around to help her now that she is getting older. (Unfortunately, that area has a glut of people whose skills overlap mine, so getting a job there would not be easy.)

Danni Renee
09-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I am close close to my mother and always have been. I am her favorite and my sisters agree! I was never close to my Dad. I have been trying to be closer but I have and always will feel awkward around him.

Danni

marny
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Feel like I'm in therapy writeing this. Lost my father @ 14 after watching him get progressivly sicker for five years.( cancer) Meantime and post , my mother medicated with vodka. At least Mom kept a nice wrap around bra and a set of falsies in her drawer. That was my start. Once i got the taste........impossible to turn back. Can't put the genie back in the bottle!

bridget thronton
09-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Much closer to my mother than my father.

Schatten Lupus
09-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Growing up, my dad worked second shift so we weren't that close, and me and my mom weren't close at all as I saw her more of an oppressor with her very strict and often absurd rules and severe over protection. During my teen years my parents divorced, my dad became an alcoholic so I saw very little of him then, and my mom seemed to be taking her frustrations of him out on me (she even threatened to send me to a boys home once if I didn't straighten out, but honestly I really wasn't a bad kid). Today my parents are back together and have re-married, I get along much better with my mom and we have gotten close, and I'm kinda close with my dad but he has so few interest that I have found it difficult to get that close.

Gillian Gigs
09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I was always closer to my mother. My Dad was a remote and aloof individual. He operated on the idea, that if you want to see or talk to me, then you can find me in my workshop doing carpentry. He worked odd hours for the Railroad, so he was coming or going at unusal hours all of the time. By the time that I was a teenager, He started to show me some of the manly acts, but it was to late. It was more like putting two strangers in the same room. It became worse after my Mum died, everything kind of became unglued. He mellowed out in his late 70's and there was a two year period that things were good, to bad it took so long and lasted so short.

Katie83
09-17-2011, 09:59 AM
As far back as i can remember my father used to leave for work in the morning before me and my sister were awake and he wouldn't get home til we'd gone to bed, he was usually tired and miserable at the weekends, my parents divorced when i was 12, So my mother raised us pretty much single handed. All this means i am alot closer to my mother and always have been. I often wonder if the lack of a male role model in my younger years is the reason behind my crossdressing or could just be me. Not that i would want to change anything, i love dressing up!
Katie

*Vanessa*
09-17-2011, 10:15 AM
... Joint custody...!

And I wonder why I am so screwed up?

I was thinking - 'over achiever' as I read this.. lol
v.

For me; I was closer to my mother then dad. He was a good provider for the family, however family life was more like Swiss cheese and a good mozzarella. I was a nasty piece of work when young and told to leave home at 16years. I would show up every 2 or 3 years to say hi.

Fast forward 3/4 of a life time after dad passed and I have something in common with mom. We both have Glaucoma and I have less then 20/100 vision in one eye.

Fast forward another 6 years and she doesn't know who I am. That makes me sad. That's the way it is. I have had surgery to get rid of an eperitinal membrane and with glasses have 20/40 visions. Live is good !!

Jocelyn Quivers
09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm close with both my mother and father, I recently told my father and his response was the same as my mother's in that he said he will always be proud of me, and this side of me does not change anything, in that I will always be his son (regardless of how far I progress down the gender spectrum), and he will always love me. :hugs:

joanna marie
09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
closer to my Mother
she was the only parent in the house
My father left when I was 2
I only saw him off and on until I was 12 and that was my last contact with him

Miss Maxine
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
My mother stopped talking to me, about a year ago, after I told her I'm not a Christian and after she saw that I was "effeminate." She's an extreme and unwavering fundamentalist Christian, with no tolerance for any amount of deviation. I'm hoping that eventually she'll grow exhausted from the relentless stress of that lifestyle and decide to have a relationship with me, again. *crosses fingers*

StarrOfDelite
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
My father was a Naval officer who retired as I was beginning high school. He spent a good bit of time at sea or at foreign duty posts, but when he was at home we had a great relationship. We did a lot of surf- casting for stripers at Newport, Cape Cod and Boston, played golf at the O Club, and after he retired we rebuilt a '49 Merc flathead coupe together. Can't blame my weirdness on him. I also had an excellent relationship with my Mom, who was somewhat overprotective, bundled me up like the little brother in A Christmas Story every time the temps fell below 32, and refused to let me play high school football until 11th grade. In that regard, my Dad's outdoorsy and sportsy activities with me were a perfect counterbalance to her.

RachR
09-17-2011, 03:58 PM
My father is the stereotypical Hispanic male (on top of being racisit, homophobic, and all around horrible person). He was always too busy to develope a proper relationship with his children. He's been abusive my entire life, and that includes my adult life. My mom has been mother and father to me from day one. Fast forward 32 years (40 for them) and my parents divorce, and my father completely cuts me off. I've always been close with my mother but even more so now.

-Rachael

stephanieg
09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
I am very close to my father,he is 100% supportive and still loves me,does call me by my enfemme name when I am dressed.I was close to my mother,she was murdered when I was 7 years old and it hit me very hard.Her killer is still out there and I want justice including my father.

LilSissyStevie
09-17-2011, 06:57 PM
My father was a violent, mentally ill alcoholic. Most of my early childhood, he was locked up in one institution or another. When he was home, I was absolutely terrified of him. I never knew what he would do next, but I knew it would be really bad. I didn't know him at all. He left for good when I was eight. My mother worked to support us since my father couldn't keep a job for very long. She was very detached emotionally. I was raised by a series of babysitters and my father's mother who was more abusive to me than he was. I guess you could say I wasn't close to any of them nor did I want to be. I was close with my sisters. My father turned his life around a few years before he died and I was happy to have gotten to know him. My mother is in her eighties now and I'm trying to get her to sell her place and move in with us but she's very pigheaded and independent. She's still keeping her distance, I guess.

flatlander_48
09-17-2011, 08:30 PM
My parents divorced when I was about a year old. As this was shortly after WW2, there was a lot of restlessness in the populace and they fell victim to it. I think my dad also had the expectation that my mother would be a stay-at-home wife and mother and she wasn't down with that. She was always a very bright person and worked for the Army. Towards the end of my time in grade school (late 50's) she was taught to be a COBOL programmer (still working for the Army) even though she never went to college. She also loved to do crossword puzzles and was very good at them; to the point that she always did them in ink!

As I was growing up, I KNEW that I was the reason that my parents had separated. This is a very common belief, however erroneous it is. It is also a heavy burden to carry. Anyway, since I lived with my mother and grandparents, I saw them a lot more of them than my dad. To their credit, they never really bad-mouthed him. But, in my adolescent thought processes I had already decided that he was the bad guy. Also, my personality is VERY different from my dad's. We don't think in the same ways, our viewpoints are often different and our behaviors are very different. He is former Navy from WW2 and my persona is anything but military. For a long time, the relationship was strained and it wasn't until the 80's (I was mid-30's by then) that I started to relax about things. My dad was never really the bad guy that I believed him to be when I was a kid, but unfortunately you can't undo the past. You can only change your current behavior. Currently my father is still doing pretty good, but my mother passed away in 1988.

Tina B.
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM
My dad was great, but he worked long hours, and had a real long commute, so he was not home a lot of the time while I was young, for years he worked swing shift, and left for work before we got home from school, and we where in bed when he got home, weekends where spent working on cars, and the yard. I never liked working on cars, so I ducked out on as much of that part as I could, no one noticed because big brother was into that stuff with him. I preferred the kitchen, and helping mom in the house, So yes I was closer to mom, we had more in common, besides her wardrobe, and cooking, we are both heavy readers, and movie buffs. Dad was a hunter, and fisherman, (not my thing, now or then) working on cars, (as soon as I got where I could pay someone else to do it, I stopped working on cars.) and all that macho stuff, I just never found to be fun. I did get my love of camping from him, that and my love of driving.
Tina B.

Diane Elizabeth
09-18-2011, 09:47 AM
My mother was a stay-at-home mom in the 50's and 60's and my dad traveled a lot in his work. So I didn't get the advantage of learning much from him. I didn't pick up very many of his genes either. I wouoldn't say he was aloof, just not much at playing with the kids. He did help me learn to ride a bike w/o training wheels and I remember we played catch once. But he did attend my graduation and other ceremonial presentations. He is gone now and I still miss him a lot. My mother is still my heart though. She was my den mother in the Cub Scouts. Taught me to cook, sew, play scrabble (and other games), and enjoy crossword/ jigsaw puzzles. Found it was easier to marry someone to dothe cooking and sewing though so I can go play soldier and be "the man" of the house.

Piora
09-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Closest to my Mom, at least what I remember. She died when I was 16. My father was old-school, never really showing affection or emotion. My mother was opposite, slow to anger, compassionate, kind and gentle. My father was easily angered, and was of the "spare-the-rod-spoil-the-child' mentality. Fortunately, I retained mostly my mother's attributes, and personality. With my daughter, it is the opposite....she and I are extremely close, despite being almost identical in our traits and personality. Never a day goes by that we don't hug, and I tell her that I love her. My father never ever did that with me.

giuseppina
09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Closer to my father when he was alive (I miss you, Dad.) I've since realised why my sister left and broke contact (little or nothing to do with me).

Suzette Muguet de Mai
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Very close to mother, Natural father died when I was 10ths old. Stepfather ex Vietnam vet, officer and a sticker for men. Would absolutely explode if he found out, I would be picking out shrapnel for the rest of my life.

Laura'sCloud
09-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Always been closer to my mother more so since my parents divorced when i was 15, Relationship with my father was always strained at best and after the divorce we are rarely in contact and he is emotionally distant when we do meet.

Kat42
09-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Closer to Dad. I cut off all communications with Mom about 5 years before she died of cancer. I spoke at her funeral out of consideration to Dad, but I did not shed a tear.

Tara D. Rose
09-18-2011, 09:50 PM
I was so much closer to my Mother as well. It seems that the mojority of us were closer to our Mothers. I loved my Father too, but he was always at work. My Mother passed away back in Jan, 2008. I miss her everyday of my life. My loss of her had been the single most devistating event in my life. I think of her everyday.

Diane Smith
09-19-2011, 12:25 AM
My dad was a distant, workaholic, Type A personality who wasn't around much and definitely didn't hold his family life as a top priority. He was much more obsessed with his job and outside friends and interests, and I was seldom a part of that. Although not outright abusive, he had a quick temper and never really seemed to be in a good mood. I saw him mostly at meal times and only occasionally on the weekends. He died when I was 18, and that was actually a boon for Mom and me. I was also very close to my maternal grandmother and her second husband, who were in many respects my true parents, along with Mom. Grandpa Myers (there was no question he was my grandfather, despite not being related by blood) was my primary male role model while growing up -- he was a kind, gentle, generous man without a trace of macho insecurities, not afraid to hug or cry or exhibit true compassion. But my grandparents both passed when I was 14 - 15 years old. Mom and I remained very close, and in fact, I never moved out of the house with her until she died about six years ago when I was 48.

So yes, I was much closer to my mom. She knew about Diane but preferred that we keep it on a DADT basis at home, even though she had encouraged my gender non-conformance some in my pre-teen years.

- Diane

Lexine
09-19-2011, 02:25 AM
My father left my mother and I when I was still being conceived and my mother left me when I was five years old and paved the way for me to move here to the United States. My immediate family was comprised of mostly women, so I really had no father figure to speak of and was constantly chided by my grand aunt after most of my immediate family followed my mother to the United States. So I suppose in that criteria, I'm closer to my mother than my dad.

Carol Elizabeth
09-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Unfair question in my case. Dad died at 44 when I was 15 mom died at 80 when I was 55. You figure which one I was closer to simply by having time to grow close.

Trina90
09-29-2011, 06:06 AM
I am very close to my mother. She is my best friend. I don't see my dad a lot so I am not as close.

DAVIDA
09-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Well, I have been an equal opportunity son.:D
I am just as close to one as the other.:thumbsup:
Still!:D

Stacey Summer
09-29-2011, 06:27 AM
I was actually closer to my dad, still am really. It all stems from matters I won't get into here but my mum and I did NOT get on when I was growing up, something my sister didn't help. My dad was my sounding board, my friend and the one person I could count on to always be there for me. My parents divorced when I was seven years old and during the next four years until I moved in with my dad I came very close to hating my mum. As a child I didnt' unterstand those feelings because she was my mother but looking back at it with the benefit of my 28 years I can recognize what was happening. We still didn't get on during my teenage years and well into my early twenties. However, I moved from London to the coast with my SO 3 1/2 years ago and since then mum and I have become very close. She as also changed a lot and recognizes now what she was like back then. In fact she is coming down for a week next weekend and I'm looking forward to it!

noeleena
09-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi,

I was Born 1947 only just, .

Mums second marrage, first husband drowned some 83 years ago, one 1 / 2 brother came from that,

Mum & i seperated 59 years ago, from was my father,& he was married before & so another 1 / 2 brother, no contact , so no father, Mum passed away 37 years ago father 14 years ago,

Mum & i lived to gether for 24 years, till she passed on ,& it was one week of ...HELL...for me , just before she passed away , we Jos & i were married so Mum was there for that & stayed with us, for just over 3 months,

I was very close to Mum & i cared for her as well, tho i wish id been able to have been closer with her.

Mum had been through a lot & would have been murdered by my father, strangled, rage temper violence, some thing im very awere of & how it effected me. We did have my grandfather & grandmother stay with us for over 7 years, in my early years,

...noeleena...

KarenCDFL
09-29-2011, 10:45 AM
My great late mom and I were very close. She had divorced when I was about 6 months old so it was just the two of us.

Luckily she was pretty much a "girly girl" and I discovered her feminine finery at a very young age.

She did catch me once when I was 16 and instead of coming clean, I just decided to say I won't do it anymore and her finding me all dolled up was never mentioned again. I mean like it never happened.

Unfortunately, I lost my mom back in 1997 and as I think back, if I had only had been able to get through the embarrassment and be honest with her, who knows how my life would have been. Definitely better than it is now.

BRANDYJ
09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
This thread made me think. My dad died in an accident when I was 10. I had 2 older brothers and a younger sister and my mom was pregnant with my younger brother when my dad died. So I was a middle child. My Mom was everyone of my friend's adopted mom. Everyone loved her. She worked hard to raise 5 kids on social security and her job. We somehow scraped by. Then when I was 16, she was killed in and accident. But I know when it came to important family matters my mom came to me before either older brother. I felt I was closer to her then them and also my opinion or trust was more important to her then that of either older brother. It's hard to remember my relationship with my dad since her died when I was that young. It was my mom that had to have that talk with me about the birds and the bees. She always let me make choices between right and wrong about where I'd go, where I went, or who I hung around with. So I always respected her for not not just restricting me, but let me make the choices with her guidance of what was right or wrong for me. I often wondered what she would have said if I let her know I enjoyed wearing female clothes back then. I strongly suspect she would have been supportive and non-judgmental. I never knew her to hate anyone or anything. I give her credit for my having a strong sense of being a good person and knowing how to be accepting and compassionate to other's lifestyles. I like to think I am somewhat like her emotionally.
So yes, I felt close to her and as for my dad, I don't remember enough about him other then some really great times out fishing in his boat and our sharing in a family sport of archery. But I don't remember him to ever hug me. He seemed to be a man's man and not show much emotion....unlike me.

Sarah V
10-01-2011, 09:08 AM
I would say your assumption is generally correct judging from my own experience.

PetiteTonya
10-01-2011, 09:19 AM
My mother and I were very close. I was also the first born and without going into detail, I honestly think that in many ways, I was the daughter she never had

Sophie86
10-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I tried very hard in my early years to identify with my dad, but he was an alcoholic who was prone to depression and had serious anger management issues. He was also a workaholic, and spent a lot of time away from the house. When he was home, he was drinking, and when he drank he would brood until he got angry enough to pick a fight with mom, or he would pick a fight with my older sister, and then mom would step into it to protect her.

It wasn't until I was about 12 that we started to spend a lot of time together. He started taking me to work with him, and then we also hunted, collected black powder guns, and fished. Even though I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of him from that, I never wanted to be like him. I always had a greater admiration for my mom's patience, cheerfulness, and unequivocal expressions of love. Dad had a short fuse, and no tolerance for the least sign of ineptness. I was constantly striving to please him, and always felt like I came up short. Ironically, he says now that his father was that way with him. Looking back, I can see that he tried to do better, but he was a captive of his own demons.

Mom was a rock of stability, a refuge. I was so hard on myself, though, so determined to be a man, that I wouldn't let her stand between me and my dad. She and I were close, but not as close as we could have been if I hadn't been so stubborn about trying to live up to his expectations.

Wow. Not really pleasant to dredge all that up again. :sad:

wanagione
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I was way closer with my mom, although i was close with my dad too.

Alice Torn
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
!5 months ago, I had to move 2000 miles back to my estranged fathers place. My mom is 91 in a nursing home with severe Alzheimers. She always wanted me close, and not to leave home. My dad is alcoholic, howbeit, now a dry one, with no tolerance for pressure or channge. I knew it would be the hardest thing in my life, to come back to him.He is going on 91. He fought with my mom, drunk, countoless times when i was little, and i think he is a tyrant in some waqys. I wanted to kill him, many times. I still pray, that he rest in peace soon, and it appearws he will soon. He is a 20 yr old emotionally! Yet, i am trying to be understanding, and compassionate to him, despite he does not respect a word a I say. My parents will soon be gone, and i have plenty of issues with them, but, i know i am the fault in a lot of it, too. They did not know any better. My older twin brothers are in prison, and my only sister has a rare disease, and cannot speak . I often say my family has curses, maybe generational curses. We did not marry and reproduce, either. Extremely unadvisable for my parents to marry and have such dysfunctional offspring, whos lives have been tormented. When dressed up, I do resemble my mother a lot. Great thread!!

tommi
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Super close with both of my parents youngest of four and had health problems when I was young,raised on a farm with both parents working it was a great way to grow up,mom and dad always there. I have never come out to my family but I have always felt that mom knows ,I learned to cook and sew growing up as well as milk cows fix equipment and clean stalls.

eluuzion
10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Well Brassy, I knew I would have to face this day eventually. After all of those years of hiding and not revealing what I so desperately wanted to express openly. But I felt doing so would place those around me at risk of living a life of isolation too. I know now that today is that day.

To answer your question...No I was not close to my father, but I was close with YOUR MOTHER...

Son, I hope from this day forward, you will start calling me DAD, because that is who I am... :o

Oh, and as long as we are being honest...remember when you were little and everybody would always tell you that you and your best friend Al Coholic across the street could pass for twins?hehehehhehhhehe:D

Ok now for the real story.
My father was emotionally vacant, abusively critical and controlling. He never once gave me a hug or support, or said “I love You”. My mother divorced him when she was 80!! He died a year later of cancer. I intentionally missed my flight back to the Midwest to attend his funeral. Mother was the exact opposite. Always supportive and still trying to compensate and apologize for not having the guts to divorce him sooner. She is 84 now and still lucid, travels a lot and has her own FaceBook page, which my daughter thinks is awesome...

:love:

DanaR
10-02-2011, 12:39 AM
My mother and I were very close.

Kerigirl2009
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I grew up feeling closer to my mother for sure! All of my memories include my mother and her sister as well as her three daughters, Now as for my dad he was there just in the background with his drinking buddies. Definately did not want to be like him as he was violent and a drunk but he did do great house repairs. (usually after he tore it apart in a drunken rage)
My mother past away nearly 7 years ago this month and its been about 6 1/2 years since I have had any contact with the man who was around me during childhood.
I met my biological father when I was 29 yrs old, its amazing how similiar we are. I would like to get closer to him but I would like to be real and tell him about Keri, if he accepted that side of me then I would probably spend more time with that side of my family.

Julogden
10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I was close to my mother when I was very young, and actually disliked my father. Mom was supportive of me crossdressing occasionally when I was younger (up to maybe 10 or 11), but distanced herself from me as I got older, so as I got older I wasn't close to either parent.

Carol

sometimes_miss
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I was never close to any of them. Dad worked all the time, mom was self absorbed, sis hated me. Hence, I was susceptible to the friendly child molester down the street.

Mikka
10-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Although I love my mother I was always closer to my father. Our personalities are so much alike. My mother never was happy with anything while growing up and was always complaining to my father about why she could not have certain things. Dad has long since passed and my mother still is complaining. So I miss my dad, he put up with a lot of CRAP!

Tess
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
I was closer with my mother while growing up but I can't think of any of my friends where it was any different. That was in the 1950's and every kid I knew had a stay at home mom and a father who was working his butt off making ends meet. My father worked rotating shifts and a second job. He was also the disciplinarian of the family so his role put him at a disadvantage when it came to likability with my mother. I got closer with my father as I got older and I miss both he and my mother equally.

Dee D
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Has to be dad for me. We've always been close,or a least as close as he'll let anyone get. We live on the same street so we still see each other often.

Haven't seen my flaky mother for ages,like 30+ years. Last contact I had with her was initiated by her lawyer. When you file a frivolous suit against your son,it's not a good sign.
DD

BiancaEstrella
10-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Close to my mom (who doesn't like my CDing) and don't really care to have contact with my dad.

Valerie1973
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I was sort of a mama's boy. The only type of bonding I had with my dad was I was his work slave. The only time we spent was when we went for fire wood and mixing cement and what ever else that man wanted done. Other than that the only influence he had on me was cars. It's like in that movie with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleson "Perfect Strangers" The characters could only talk about baseball whereas my father and I can only talk about cars. However, my mom and I were like a mother and daughter some times. She'd take me with her shopping to the beauty salon, we'd talk, just about everything. However, I wasn't a sissy, I got dirty, into trouble, I was into bmx, played ball. At about 12 or 13 is when the macho pride kicked in, the testosterone was kicking in and I didn't want to hang out with my mom anymore. My dad was a rolling stone and just rolled away one day. They divorced when I was a teenager and I discovered pot and drinking and girls and wound up with the wrong crowd. I remember spending a Saturday with my pops at around age 17, he said today your gonna learn to ride a Harley whether you want to or not. I was hooked. Then when it got dark he came out all shinny with Cologne and a black vest and handed me a $20 said order your self a pizza, I'm going to the VFW. That was his halfass parenting. I'm an only child, Im 38 now and he's got one leg in the grave, now we get along, but my dressing up business is something he can never ever know. My mom and I shop together from time to time. She know all about me. The end

Frédérique
10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
How many are close with their mother and/or not close to their father?

I was closer to my mother emotionally – she protected me in many ways, since I was a sensitive, shy boy. I was much closer to my father than either of my two sisters, but not close emotionally. He and I worked together and generally had a pretty good working relationship. After my mother died my father and I were very close, at least in terms of proximity – I took care of him in his old age and tried to keep his mind active by discussing things he would be interested in. I also cooked and cleaned for him, and generally did nearly everything my mother once did. However, we never did any of those father-son bonding rituals that more normal dads engage in. I think both of my parents were reluctant authority figures, but they put up a good “front” and made the best of the situation my father created. October 3rd was the anniversary of my mother’s death – I always remember it, since we were very close…
:sad:

Toni Citara
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Such a range of child/parent relationships we have in this thread. I never felt truly close to either of my parents. Over the past couple years I've reflected back on my relationships with people, family and friends alike, and have realized that I was the one that distanced myself from them. People would always call or drop by for a visit, and I was never available for them. I guess I am stingy when it comes to the free time I have available after working all week and when you've only got two days to do everything that needs to be done, it is easier to leave the phone off the hook, (so to speak), and focus on personal needs and goals. After all, what difference does it matter if I actually did go to a bar for a game and a couple of beers? None. Would not impact my well being, (unless I got picked up for DWI/DUI, then it would be a negative impact).

I never even cried at my dad's funeral. Not sure why, but didn't feel "it". In roughly twenty years, I spoke with my parents all of maybe twenty times. Always ended on the same note... I'm a sinner, going to burn in hell, need to get right with Jesus, blah blah blah... If the so-called "Christians" believe that God created humankind in his image and that God makes NO mistakes, then all humans are created in God's image! Straight, Gay, Bisexual, Brown and Peach, male and female and every combination thereof.