PDA

View Full Version : Name change question

Nicki S
09-17-2011, 04:42 AM
I have a little bit of time before I need to be concerned with this, but I like to be well organized.
Does anybody have any information for name change on mariner documents? To be more specific, on my MMD (Merchant Mariners Document) and on the TWIC card? I have searched on there websites and was not able to find any info pertaining to this. I would be almost certain that the USCG has a form to fill out. They have a form for EVERYTHING!

Stephenie S
09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
You are right on both counts. The Coasties have a form for everything, and it's way to soon to be worrying about this. There are far more pressing issues to concern you now if you are seriously thinking about transition.

S

Traci Elizabeth
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM
You will need to call them and explain that you have had a certified court ordered name change and a gender change. That is what I had to do for my pilot's license. There was NOTHING on the FAA website that I could use for those changes.

All it took was me sending a certified copy of my name change, a copy from the SSA stating I am female as well as a copy of my current driver's license.

SusanB
09-18-2011, 06:03 AM
I've had a USCG mariners license for 30 years and have just started to sort out documentation. I called the USCG office in West virginia and they were really helpful,polite and kind. Said I needed to get my TWIC card changed first and then call them as to what to do. Please do this your self. The fear that keeps us in a box are whole life never seems to materialize. Will a company hire a transgender operator. well stay tuned I'll let you know in a while. I'm having surgery in Jan by the way so I'll update you then .

Nicki S
09-18-2011, 09:31 AM
You are right on both counts. The Coasties have a form for everything, and it's way to soon to be worrying about this. There are far more pressing issues to concern you now if you are seriously thinking about transition.

S I don't feel that it is way too soon. With some luck, my name change will be within the next few months.

I also feel that keeping my documents updated with current info, so I can maintain employment is a "pressing issue". Sure does seem quite important to me.

Acastina
09-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Many states, such as California, have statutory provisions for what is called a common-law name change. In such jurisdictions, no court proceeding or order is necessary for a full legal name change. All that is required is using the new name consistently and the absence of any kind of fraud.

I don't know whether the authorities you will be dealing with will accept such a change, but there's no good reason why not. I started dealing with issues like this in the 1980s, and many, many agencies have simply gone with the flow and liberalized TG documentation issues. Good luck.

sandra-leigh
09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Many states, such as California, have statutory provisions for what is called a common-law name change. In such jurisdictions, no court proceeding or order is necessary for a full legal name change. All that is required is using the new name consistently and the absence of any kind of fraud.

In legal theory, the same applies in Canada (except perhaps in Quebec.) But in legal fact, banks here are now required to get ID in the name used on the account, and can only issue credit cards in that name (or the initial and that last name.) It would also not be possible to get a provincial ID card or drivers license in a name other than is already on official government documentation (at least not in this province), and then in turn you cannot get a passport in a name other than is on your provincial ID -- and your social insurance number has to be in your legal name in order to get a job (though it is not common to be asked to produce the card itself.)

So although the law here certainly says that you are allowed to use any name absent attempt to commit fraud or escape justice or avoid lawsuits, the money-laundering and then anti-terrorism laws make it quite difficult to do these days.

eluuzion
09-29-2011, 01:50 AM
http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/name-change.html

Nicki S
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the link on how a name change is done. I am very familiar with that. But if you could read my first post, I was specifically asking if anybody has been thru the name change process on their credentials with these government agencies
http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/name-change.html

Aprilrain
09-29-2011, 09:46 AM
There was NOTHING on the FAA website that I could use for those changes.

All it took was me sending a certified copy of my name change, a copy from the SSA stating I am female as well as a copy of my current driver's license.

When i went to the FAA website and searched "name change" I came up with clear cut directions as to how to go about getting a new pilots certificate with my new name AND gender. I followed the instructions which required that I go in person to my local FSDO with all the necessary documentation and I received my plastic certificate about 2 weeks later. Everyone in the office was friendly and professional. "Dave" the guy who help me noticed that my old pilots certificate was unsigned so he said "oh go ahead and sign that before we send it to Oklahoma City" I said, "do i sign my old name, (which is what was printed on the card) or do I sign my new Legal name?" he thought about it and said "what the heck go ahead and sign your new name thats your name right" with a big smile, real nice guy.

sorry a bit off topic I know but I have heard FAA horror stories and so far that has not been my experience.