PDA

View Full Version : Thailand's Besk Kept Secret

ValRom
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I’m a seasoned traveler to many parts of the world – except Southeast Asia. I learn languages, if not with facility, then with diligence. I have read what to expect from gender confirming surgery for any number of years (via diaries, blogs, and other reports). I’ve looked at post-op photos until I could probably qualify as a gynecologist. I researched the various Thai surgeons over the years so that I could probably tell you their degree histories and the genealogy of learning among the Thai surgeons. I read about hospitals.

But I’ll let you in on the best-kept secret to a successful experience in Thailand. It is two sisters, recommended to me by a fellow middle American (Pam, who's a member of this forum) who learned about them through an Aussie T woman.
Noi and Kam can be hired by the week for as long as you need them.

What might you need them for? Everything! For me Kam served as interpreter, teacher of Thai, guide to restaurants, nurse’s aide. She kept my spirits up (we somewhat shared the same sense of humor). She knew where to shop, where to eat lunch, when to bathe me, when to keep me pumped with fluids, when to feed me fresh fruit. Where to buy maxi pads cheaply or expediently as the need may have been.

Don’t get me wrong. The Priyate Hospital staff was wonderful. The Preecha Aesthetic Clinic did all that I expected of it. The doctors were attentive, kind, and competent.

But there is a need, when one undergoes such an important step in one’s life, for more. I had email and telephone support from home. But I was alone, in a country in which I knew just a smidgeon of the language, in a foreign medical system, surrounded by a culture and customs unknown to me. I was surrounded by Buddhists and Muslims and while the customer may think she’s always right, she may not always be right. I was in a land where taxi drivers know the long way home, a land where, as Kam was good to remind me, that it is important to keep one’s purse zipped.

In short I was an idiot: except that I had the good sense to listen to Pam and to hire Kam for a week. That went so well, I hired her for a second week.

Kam smoothed the way for me, clarified my needs to the staff (hospital, clinic, restaurant, department store, etc.). She cooled my brow when I fevered and we shared beers after I was released. She interpreted papers. She washed my clothes or took them to the laundry (cheaper than the hotel’s laundry). She was with me every day, every hour, all 168 hours of the week. She has become my sister, my friend, my ally: I only hope my limited attempts to help her provide her with a similar measure of fulfillment.

She does not know I have written this. If you are headed to Thailand, whether alone or with a friend, I strongly suggest you contact Kam or her sister Noi (who as of September 2011 is four months pregnant). They can make so many aspects of your journey less frightening, mysterious, or difficult.

Their English is strongly accented, but you’re likely to find that your communication with them will be easier than with many of the medical professionals you encounter.

And, perhaps most importantly, the sisters know the ins and outs of gender confirming surgery and can help you with dilation and cleaning and anything else you don’t already know how to do.

Feel free to email me if you wish more information.

AKAMichelle
09-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Sounds like this be nice to have. I know having somebody there with you through that experience would be very helpful.

Jorja
09-21-2011, 05:34 AM
I have heard of these two women before. It may have been in an old thread here. As I recall, they are fantastic at caring for a person before and after srs.

CharleneT
09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
I'll second that recommendation, I hired them for part of my stay. I'd be glad to answer questions for anyone, just PM me. One thing to note, Noi is 5 months pregnant now and likely not available soon. She will probably leave Bangkok for the rest of her term. Depending on how your doc works, these ladies can really be very helpful. My surgery was with Dr. Chettawut, and you won't need help while in his clinic.

pamela_a
09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Val. I'm happy to hear your trip went well and Kam was with you. If she's anything like Noi I'm sure you had a wonderful time.

If anyone is interested in hiring them please PM me and I will be happy to answer any questions or help coordinate with them

Traci Elizabeth
09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
I’m a seasoned traveler to many parts of the world – except Southeast Asia. I learn languages, if not with facility, then with diligence. I have read what to expect from gender confirming surgery for any number of years (via diaries, blogs, and other reports). I’ve looked at post-op photos until I could probably qualify as a gynecologist. I researched the various Thai surgeons over the years so that I could probably tell you their degree histories and the genealogy of learning among the Thai surgeons. I read about hospitals.

But I’ll let you in on the best-kept secret to a successful experience in Thailand. It is two sisters, recommended to me by a fellow middle American (Pam, who's a member of this forum) who learned about them through an Aussie T woman.
Noi and Kam can be hired by the week for as long as you need them.

What might you need them for? Everything! For me Kam served as interpreter, teacher of Thai, guide to restaurants, nurse’s aide. She kept my spirits up (we somewhat shared the same sense of humor). She knew where to shop, where to eat lunch, when to bathe me, when to keep me pumped with fluids, when to feed me fresh fruit. Where to buy maxi pads cheaply or expediently as the need may have been.

Don’t get me wrong. The Priyate Hospital staff was wonderful. The Preecha Aesthetic Clinic did all that I expected of it. The doctors were attentive, kind, and competent.

But there is a need, when one undergoes such an important step in one’s life, for more. I had email and telephone support from home. But I was alone, in a country in which I knew just a smidgeon of the language, in a foreign medical system, surrounded by a culture and customs unknown to me. I was surrounded by Buddhists and Muslims and while the customer may think she’s always right, she may not always be right. I was in a land where taxi drivers know the long way home, a land where, as Kam was good to remind me, that it is important to keep one’s purse zipped.

In short I was an idiot: except that I had the good sense to listen to Pam and to hire Kam for a week. That went so well, I hired her for a second week.

Kam smoothed the way for me, clarified my needs to the staff (hospital, clinic, restaurant, department store, etc.). She cooled my brow when I fevered and we shared beers after I was released. She interpreted papers. She washed my clothes or took them to the laundry (cheaper than the hotel’s laundry). She was with me every day, every hour, all 168 hours of the week. She has become my sister, my friend, my ally: I only hope my limited attempts to help her provide her with a similar measure of fulfillment.

She does not know I have written this. If you are headed to Thailand, whether alone or with a friend, I strongly suggest you contact Kam or her sister Noi (who as of September 2011 is four months pregnant). They can make so many aspects of your journey less frightening, mysterious, or difficult.

Their English is strongly accented, but you’re likely to find that your communication with them will be easier than with many of the medical professionals you encounter.

And, perhaps most importantly, the sisters know the ins and outs of gender confirming surgery and can help you with dilation and cleaning and anything else you don’t already know how to do.

Feel free to email me if you wish more information.

I don't see an email address for you or a way to lease you a private message. Can you send me info on how to contact them for my future visit?

Nicki S
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't see an email address for you or a way to lease you a private message. Can you send me info on how to contact them for my future visit?
I would like that info also please.

pamela_a
09-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I would like that info also please.

Traci and Nicki, I PMed you both.

I coordinated that for Val. If anyone else is interested please contact me.

ValRom
09-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks Pam for jumping in - I've been somewhat busy while over here.

Pam did coordinate this for me and I'll be pleased to get back to folks regarding what these women can do for you, although my post pretty well sums things up.

My only interest in posting this is that I would have been struggling with all that goes on with an international trip for surgery without the help of Kam or someone like her, and I'm not sure a travel companion can do the same things that someone like Kam can accomplish. The trip can be more overwhelming - for many reasons both anticipated and not - than one might imagine.

Sorry, about the pm address ... I turned a lot of stuff off before I left for Thailand. I'll try to turn things on again.

The only questions I won't answer have to do with money - and that's because we're talking about a second world country where the average hourly wage is probably less than the cost of a venti latte.