PDA

View Full Version : State ID or DL

Deann Renee
09-21-2011, 12:23 PM
How do you go about getting a ID or DL in your Fem Mode. I live in Texas and seen others from Texas that have gotten them. Any advise would be helpful.

*Vanessa*
09-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Just a thought here but won't Google be of help on this one? Check with the State. :)

Mikaela
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/identificationrequirements.htm
Booyah

Persephone
09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Texas laws on this seem so much more enlightened than California or Arizona laws which I believe still require proof of surgery. One of the reasons I'm considering a move to Texas!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/identificationrequirements.htm

From that source it would appear that the state of Texas will accept a U.S. Passport as a document of identity that does not require additional documentation -- presumably you show your U.S. Passport and you've met the identification requirement.

And "A transgender person applying for a U.S. passport will just need to show a physician's certification that the applicant has "undergone appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition" to declare a new gender on a passport."

Transgriot.blogspot.com (http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2010/06/sample-letter-for-us-passport-gender.html) says that the following are sample acceptable letters for requesting a change of sex on a U.S. passport:

Attending Physician’s Letterhead
(Physician’s Address and Telephone Number)

I, (physician’s full name), (physician’s medical license or certificate number), (issuing State of medical license/certificate), (DEA Registration number), am the attending physician of (name of patient), with whom I have a doctor/patient relationship. (The letter must indicate that the physician is either an internist, endocrinologist, gynecologist, urologist or psychiatrist.)

(Name of patient) has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to the new gender (specify new gender male or female).

Or you can use this format:

(Name of patient) is in the process of gender transition to the new gender (specify new gender male or female).
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct.

Signature of Physician

Typed Name of Physician

Date

The procedure for a Passport name change is more complicated and requires either a change by marriage or by court order. Also, the Social Security Administration's requirements still seem to include having proof of surgery, so you may very well end up with discrepant Federal records.

It could all become legally challenging (Note: I am not a lawyer nor do I pretend to offer legal advice).

Hugs,
Persephone.

Mikaela
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I know people in CA that got them easy, the difference is that they didn't get one with the new name or gender, just the girl photo.

Niya W
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
few things. California does not require surgery. As for the SS office if one turns you down go to the next one. Each one is run like it's own fiefdom.

Persephone
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I know people in CA that got them easy, the difference is that they didn't get one with the new name or gender, just the girl photo.

Thanks Mikaela,

Been there, done that!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/CDLPicture.jpg

Yeah, I know, awful! Well, it's a driver's license picture!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Niya W
09-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Mine, Oh CA law just says you need a dr to sigh off. Mine from a few years ago

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=84049&d=1236962495

Persephone
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Mine, Oh CA law just says you need a dr to sigh off.

Thanks Niya. I must have seen something that was out of date regarding California.

Hugs,
Persephone.

StaceyJane
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Actually if you just want an ID with your fem picture it's pretty eaasy. Just take your ID to your DPS and ask for a TX ID card.
I know one member on this forum that did it and had no problems.

Holly
09-21-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a Nevada DL with my girl picture on it. Got dressed. Went to the DMV. Surrendered my CA DL. Paid the fee. Had my picture taken. Waited for the mail. It was a non-event. I suspect I was not the first T person they had ever seen:).

TxKimberly
09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Been there and done that. I have a 100% male Texas drivers license and also a state ID that has all of my real and legal info (name and gender) but I got it with my female pic by showing up for the process "dressed". Take your drivers license with you, fill out the paper work for the state ID, show up "dressed" at the DPS, submit the paper work, pay your fee, and have your pic taken. It's JUST that easy!

Persephone
09-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Getting your femme picture on an ID or DL is easy in most states as long as you are willing to go to the state office en femme. Same with most other photo ID.

The problem that is driving me nuts is that it is very difficult, perhaps impossible, for a crossdresser who isn't fully transitioning and who may be less than 24/7 to get a DL or an ID in their femme name and with an "F" on it. Now that "official" ID is required in many stores to use your credit card you really something for them to look at, especially if your femme name is not the same as your drab name.

And getting your femme name added to your checking account or getting a debit card seems damned impossible.

As ID requirements get tougher we're really the ones who fall through the cracks unless we're willing to declare ourselves femme, get a physician to agree, etc. (And in some states that's not sufficient either).

I think we need to address this with the folks who make our state and Federal laws and with any lobbying groups we may have.

I would so love a solution to this problem!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Mikaela
09-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I think it's important to remember that what you are amounting to is the creation of an alias if you plan on changing your name on your ID. I don't consider that falling through the cracks, assuming you are referring to a CD. Face it, it's a disguise, but you are still legally you. I see the convenience of having an ID (even with real name and gender), even though I don't have one, simply because people pay more attention to the picture. I was IDed the other night at a diner after the club when I paid with a credit card, and I got extra scrutiny. As my boy pic in the transformations thread can attest, we're different. :D

The use of an alias is pretty restricted. Even if someone wants to do a single proprietor type business, they have documents and announcements in the newspaper they need to put out if they want to DBA. Even so, that's primarily for taxes and banking, not for pretending to be someone else in public. Unless the new identity will be how you legally exist, I don't see a legitimate need for having an ID with an alias and fake gender (for CDs!).

Stefia S
09-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Been there and done that. I have a 100% male Texas drivers license and also a state ID that has all of my real and legal info (name and gender) but I got it with my female pic by showing up for the process "dressed". Take your drivers license with you, fill out the paper work for the state ID, show up "dressed" at the DPS, submit the paper work, pay your fee, and have your pic taken. It's JUST that easy!

Hi Kimberly,
Do you use your ID for when you fly en femme? I'm thinking this might be the most useful reason to have an ID with an female picture on it (and why I got one).

Fia

Stevann
09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately, I live in North Carolina. Here you can have a Drivers License OR an ID. Not both. I wish I lived in a state where I could have a male picture on my DL and a female picture on an ID. Sigh.

Stephenie S
09-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Having a DL or other such ID with your female picture on it seems a good idea. But I think an ID with a different name is really pretty dangerous. Many government agencies might decide you are trying to defraud, which is against the law.

S

Persephone
09-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Unless the new identity will be how you legally exist, I don't see a legitimate need for having an ID with an alias and fake gender (for CDs!).

Ah, Mikaela, I know it is confusing, even to CD's and definitely sometimes to me, but yes, both of "us" do exist! Unfortunately, there are really no words to describe this sort of situation, so I have to resort to "she" and "he" to try to get my point across. Please understand, I don't really have the sort of multiple personalities that don't know each other exist, nor am I Norman Bates from Psycho.

As a very out-and-about CD I live in two worlds with two sets of friends. There are a few in the middle who know both of "us" but there are also people who only know "him" and people who only know "her."

Both "she" and "he" have held jobs and received paychecks. Both "he" and "she" have conducted business and had checks to cash, a damned near impossible thing to do.

And "she" has a need to write checks, use debit cards, and present ID to use "her" credit cards. It is way too embarrassing and unnecessary to go to make a purchase and to haul out a male ID. Especially since "he" and "she" don't even share the same last name.

Why should an accident of birth, a bump or two on the upholstery, define me in the eyes of the state? Does the state really know who I am so much better than I do?

Our 24/7 transsexual brothers and sisters have fought this fight and their rights are now well defined in most western countries. Isn't it time that our unique requirements were also recognized?

Hugs,
Persephone.

Deann Renee
09-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the info

Tina B.
09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Persephone, I think you are asking a bit much of government, If everyone was allowed two separate identities, can you imagine the amount of paperwork, and computer records would need to be kept, and the cross checking that would have to be done, wow. Two genders maybe, but two legal identities, I don't see how government could ever kept it all straight. As I understand Texas law, you can have both an id, and a drivers license, but I don't think you can have that Id with a false name on it. It's all about the picture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Tina B.

Persephone
09-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Persephone, I think you are asking a bit much of government

That could be, Tina, but it seems to me that we are as entitled to the freedom to try to live our lives to the fullest as any other member of society.

Rules are changed and redefined for others, why not for us?

Hugs,
Persephone.

TxKimberly
09-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Kimberly,
Do you use your ID for when you fly en femme? I'm thinking this might be the most useful reason to have an ID with an female picture on it (and why I got one).

Fia

That was in fact my most significant reason for getting one. I traveled fem for the better part of a year using only my male ID and never had a problem, but it still always worried me.