PDA

View Full Version : Why do gay bars have drag shows?

Elizabeth Ann
09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I have now been to a couple of drag shows at gay bars. In each one, there were a few performers that were impressive, looking like somewhat over made up women. Most, however, were very obese, foul mouthed, and crass. Frankly, I found the whole thing more embarrassing than entertaining.

Which got me to wondering: why do gay bars have drag shows? It does not seem intuitively obvious why the two go together. If gay men are attracted to men, and lesbians attracted to women (who actually look like women), what is the attraction of a drag show? I just don't get it.

There is laughter, but the performers are not doing anything overtly humorous. So, perhaps they are not laughing with the performers, but rather at the performers, which would be sad indeed.

Liz

sandra-leigh
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure myself.

I have seen two to three very good drag shows, and the rest were either "more of the same" or distinctly off-putting. Fat jokes, put-downs, lip-sync to actions that didn't "inform" the song... I don't know. I go sometimes if there if it is a charity event, or if it is a special event honouring someone, or to support someone I know; the rest of the time it isn't really avoiding them so much as not bothering. And hoping, I guess, that maybe this one will be one of the Worth Watching ones.

AllieSF
09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
I have been to a few bars that had drag shows. The bars were labeled gay bars, bit I found an almost equal mix of gay and lesbian with a lot of straight singles, couples and groups there. My guess is that it is just another business decision with some "help your fellow sisters" thrown in too. I too have not been totally impressed by what I saw and heard. However, a lot of the audience liked the shows and were laughing and getting into the different routines. Another thing to consider is that gays and lesbians are well on their way to being totally out in society and probably do not need the security of a safe "gay" bar any more. The owners are just trying to keep their place full as possible, is my guess.

Cynthia Anne
09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah why! Some gays are crossdressers! But these 'shows' gives the general public the idea that crossdressers are gay! Go figure!

Sophie_C
09-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm really not a fan of anything drag, since it feels like a mockery of any serious trans issues (and is what most people know, although that IS changing), but to answer the question, it's a legacy of the past. Back in the day when queer still somewhat meant "something strange" and gay meant "giddy and happy", all people not fitting even close to the nuclear family when it comes to gender and sexuality (e.g. "queer") had to protect each other and band together, given the small numbers out of the closet. This was an expression of this freedom only available in their hidden, protected world. And, just look on how it is built - right out of the "Mad Men" era of the 50s and 60s, where showgirls were the pinnacle of femininity.

That's carried on to today, where it's a full-on institution, and the 50s/60s ideas are amped up to the limit (crazy white-toned war paint for everyone??) No appeal to me whatsoever.

BLUE ORCHID
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Elizabeth, I guess it's a supply and demand thing the market will support it and it will be there.

Orchid

Alberta_Pat
09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Most simply, these are the venues that can actually hold them. There are very few "straight" facilities that would even consider such a thing.

Elizabeth Ann
09-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm really not a fan of anything drag, since it feels like a mockery of any serious trans issues (and is what most people know, although that IS changing), but to answer the question, it's a legacy of the past. Back in the day when queer still somewhat meant "something strange" and gay meant "giddy and happy", all people not fitting even close to the nuclear family when it comes to gender and sexuality (e.g. "queer") had to protect each other and band together, given the small numbers out of the closet. This was an expression of this freedom only available in their hidden, protected world. And, just look on how it is built - right out of the "Mad Men" era of the 50s and 60s, where showgirls were the pinnacle of femininity.

That's carried on to today, where it's a full-on institution, and the 50s/60s ideas are amped up to the limit (crazy white-toned war paint for everyone??) No appeal to me whatsoever.
Sophie,
Thanks for the information. Drag as historical artifact makes sense. Still, the G's and L's at these places do appear to be enjoying the shows, and I can't understand what the attraction is for them.
Liz

Lorileah
09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Simply money. If people show up and buy drinks, the bars keep the acts. When it becomes a loss, they don't. Face it, since so many TG's are closeted, the people here won't support a bar but the fetishists will. The drag bar here closed ( I didn't even realize it for 4 months) and I have no idea where those people went. No bar has filled the niche yet (one tried, it failed from what I understand also).

In venues where the acts are classy and professional, the bars bring in crowds from the straight community. In most places, the Drags can only support themselves.