PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to my coming out

Intertwined
09-22-2011, 12:09 AM
My work week starts on Wednesday, so today was my Monday so to speak.

From the moment I stepped into work today, my co-workers seamed extra friendly, and chatty (as you read further you will see they were probably just keying on MY aitude).

Tasks I was assigned went very quickly, and flowed from one to the next, :dance2: I even caught myself running down the corridors a couple of times.

I finally had one of my co-workers say “From the moment you arrived today, you have had a smile (rare for me to have all day), and a glow about you :star: , what gives?” I had to think about that for a moment, and the only thing that came to mind was, earlier this week, I posted on my wall on Facebook, public for ALL to see, a letter I wrote stating that I cross-dress.

I have not had a lot of responses to the letter, but the ones I have had, have all be positive or indifferent.

Everything from a cousin I have never met in person who live in Missouri, saying “I'm Proud of you and to call you family, can't wait to meet you in person one day!”. :o

This is from a co-worker ” No surprise here, I think more people were aware of this than you realized. After all you gave us plenty of clues,(employee of the year night for one ..chuckle!) I think most people (at least at work) see you as Marshall .. ("that's just Marshall") the same person we have always known.” :battingeyelashes:

To a close family friend saying “No assumptions here. It's about how you are comfortable, what makes you, you just like what makes me me…”

NOW, I am not saying everyone needs to go scream from the roof tops :yahoo: , this would definitely be the wrong thing for some people to do, but, for me, it was the right thing for me to do. Below is the letter.

MY LETTER TO YOU

I would like to share something with you about my life, because it is important to me that you know this.

I have only shared this with a few family and friends thus far, but I think the time has come that everyone should know this.

I am what most call “a cross dresser”, I prefer the term “androgynous”.

I am sorry for not sharing this part of my life with you sooner. For years I have thought about letting everyone know this, but, I had to learn to accept myself first. I had to learn that it is okay to be who I am. I had to think about how best to let everyone know this because I was afraid that I would lose the support of family and friends.

The reason I am choosing this time is because, by not letting everyone know, I have put my family and friends that do know, in a difficult situation, especially when they are asked questions about me, by people who do not know I am androgynous.

This is not a recent thing for me, I have been this way since as early as 8 years old, and possibly earlier.

No, I am not gay, that is usually the first wrong assumption.

No, I do not want to be a woman, nor do I even want to look like a woman. What makes me most comfortable is mixing the masculine and feminine looks to come up with my own unique look, my “Gender Expression”. This unique look matches my “Gender Identity”, how I feel about myself inside. My gender identity is not entirely male, neither is it entirely female, I feel equally both.

I am the same person you have always known, I am just being honest with you about how I feel about myself.

If you have questions about me and who or what I am, please ask me! The worst thing anyone could do is to make assumptions, or to ask someone else questions about me. I am the best source of information about myself, and as many of my friends and family will attest, I will not hesitate telling all about myself when asked.

Rachel Mari
09-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Love your letter and I'm happy for you for the replies you've received.

ArleneRaquel
09-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Fantastic responses, best wishes.

erickka
09-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Great letter. I'm glad things are going well after your posting of said letter. I think you will be accepted in your circle more than you imagined possible. Good luck!