PDA

View Full Version : Transgender/Crossdresser Jobs

Amy Hepker
09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
I know many of you already have jobs and many have transitioned while working for that employer, but does anyone know of jobs where a Transgender/Crossdresser person is accepted and can be hired even if they don't pass that well??? I was working at a job when I started to transition a few years ago, but the company downsized and I got laid off I never did get a job dressed, so I had to go back to being Male to get a job. I want to be Amy 24/7 again, but need a full time job to do it.

amy canada
09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Maybe become an actor and you can do either male or female roles, or work in a crossdressing store. Some musicians also wear women's clothes. Heck, Steven Tyler even wore his daughter's blouse on American Idol earlier this year. She said he regularly raids her closet for clothes.

sandra-leigh
09-24-2011, 01:18 PM
In theory, the federal government. If it works like Canada's does, they have policies about hiring people based upon their skills, not upon their looks. Though I wouldn't put myself in the hands of the US military until matters have settled down with regards to DADT (which I would not consider to be a settled matter until at least 2 years after the next Republican president is elected.)

Sue Too
09-24-2011, 03:09 PM
It will take some time and training but I would look into the health care industry. Been in a hospital lately? People crawling around like ants around a sugar cookie. May not be a glamorous job but it is a way to build an employment history. If it were me I would apply and start as a guy and then gradually become more femme.

Good luck

Susan in Phoenix

Vanessa Storrs
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
The suggestions by Scarlet Rose and susanwill are both good. I like the idea of a crossdressing plumber showing off some 'whale tail' rather than 'plumber's butt.'
The health care professions are generally well paid and there continues to be a demand for trained workers. The down side to health care is that both men and women wear the same ugly clothes.

JenniferR771
09-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Above ideas are good. And self-employment has some particular advantages. I hope you find something that suits your situation, Amy. Cab driver? Short haul or delivery trucking?

Nicole Erin
09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I sent a PM that has more details but I think we have all seen people working in various fields that we just know are TS (as in, the ones who are not real passable).
Our sisters are out there working everything from McDonalds to CEO jobs. Good help is hard to find and if you can show that you are worth your paycheck, your gender identity is not that big an issue.

The only reason I used the "not so passable" example is, supposedly it is harder for them to find jobs. We know the struggles of not passing that great.

Also Amy, for the record, I have little clue how well you pass. maybe effortlessly, or maybe you struggle, but that is not the point.

missmillie
09-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Susanwill49 has said about what I was going to tell you,get into the medical field you can always start as an aid and work up from there/ I am an RN and most of the time I am in femme dress the hospital work clothes are a good cover but everybody knows me and they know I dress.
Love Miss Millie

Stephenie S
09-24-2011, 11:57 PM
There is no question about this in my mind. The answer is healthcare.

The field is notoriously open minded. Most healthcare in the US is provided by large corporations. Large corporations will have strict HR guidelines on gender equality.

As stated already, you can start low and work your way up. There is a HUGE demand for healthcare workers at every level. If you are careful, you can support yourself as an LNA. A nurse is VERY well paid. Both will always be in demand. You will never lack for a job.

S

Intertwined
09-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Only thing I would like to add, " Be up front with your employeer when you interview with them " I told mine when I started back in 1989 that I crossdressed on my own time. 2011, I am still with the same employeer, I go to and from work quite often dressed, but do not dress while on the clock, unless, they keep me stuck at a desk all day, that way I am not in the public eye, and in that situation I have worn a skirt and heels all day with no complaints.

Bottom line is, MOST (not all) employeers are only concerned with 2 things; 1) Productivity, 2) Company Image.

Kaitlyn26
09-25-2011, 01:05 AM
It seems like the person doing the hiring has more to say about it than any one company. I think working in a work place with many rules of conduct would be best.

Diane Smith
09-25-2011, 02:43 AM
In my experience, the beauty industry (hair, nails, aesthetician, etc.) is pretty open to transgendered employees.

- Diane

Stephenie S
09-25-2011, 10:28 AM
In my experience, the beauty industry (hair, nails, aesthetician, etc.) is pretty open to transgendered employees.

- Diane

There you go. Another good idea.

S

sometimes_miss
09-25-2011, 04:11 PM
If you are careful, you can support yourself as an LNA. A nurse is VERY well paid. Both will always be in demand. You will never lack for a job.
I used to think so too. Not so much anymore. As more and more hospitals close, there has become a glut of out of work nurses. I know several still looking for a job, and the new grads can't get jobs because the employers are all looking at the experienced people first. The 'nursing shortage' was always a crock; it was just a 'money shortage'; hospitals and other employers weren't willing to pay for extra staff, or enough for women to take the crap that was always present in the jobs. Today hospital administrators still talk about the shortage of nurses while they send some of them home in order to maximize profits. Nursing supervisors spend the last few hours of their shifts looking for ways to cut the staff to a bare minimum, cancelling the per dium workers for the next shift. There's no shortage of nurses to hire; the companies just want them to work for free. Remember if you do this, to focus on high healthcare areas (usually where the senior citizens gather en mass, they always need care). Most hospitals work on the squeeky wheel practice; they run with skeleton staffs, and when a patient or family member complains, they go out of their way to placate them. But the rest of the time, lots of patients wait longer than necessary as the hospital CEO gets bonus money for keeping staff costs as low as possible. Health care in America is a business. Don't forget that. They're not there to help you. They're there to get money from you, while giving you the illusion of caring about you by keeping a few health care workers in view. Even the 'non profit' places are run like this.

Karen__Starr
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
No matter what the policy is for a company and how well you do your job there may be others that will alienate you which has happen to me. I work in a department of 20 but in an average day have virtually no physical contact with others in my team because of things ranging from long hair with coloring that which one tends to only find on females to me wearing fairly tight jeans but wear a large shirt over my regular shirt to conceal my breast forms where I wear a smaller size breast form so not to call undue attention. I would gladly go full time at my present time but not willing to drop (this is a guess) roughly half my salary and if went full time I believe management would make my life difficult even more so than it is now. It really sucks as I feel totally at home out in public as a female but not at work as per above.

Torrey
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
If it works like Canada's does, they have policies about hiring people based upon their skills

Well, based on my visits to gov't offices, they are hired neither based on looks, nor skills.

In all seriousness, there is a Wal Mart nearby who had someone who had to be transitioning...and working at the checkout.

Briana90802
09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I still think this is the best job ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swV7jHaErK4

Kaitlyn26
09-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Well, based on my visits to gov't offices, they are hired neither based on looks, nor skills.

In all seriousness, there is a Wal Mart nearby who had someone who had to be transitioning...and working at the checkout.

It seems like in the US it's more based on ethnic group and gender. I've asked friends to apply at my work before and they've been turned away (told we have no job for you), while someone with less experience and a criminal record just got hired 3 days later.

Stephenie S
09-25-2011, 11:10 PM
I still think this is the best job ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2AavgM4RwA

I couldn't get in.

S

WifeofWrenchette
09-26-2011, 07:13 AM
When I had my last surgery the admitting nurse was either a cross dresser or transgender. I didn't ask. I think the health care field is a good one. And after 2014 when Obamacare goes more into effect there will be serious shortage of nurses and they will be needed.

Wendy W
09-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Healthcare is the BIG ONE to get into. I work at a very large and well known regional hospital in Boston. They are very tolerant on the GLBTQ subject and enforce all rules to protect these individuals. It's always good to let the hiring manager know of the subject, but there certainly will not be any penalties against it. The medical side of the house is actually a small portion of the hospital. The support and admin staff is many times larger, and in most cases, are well hidden away from the public and patients. It's certainly something to look into.

Wendy

Sarasometimes
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the beauty industry is very open minded but the starting pay can be low until you get a client base. If it doesn't bother you most uninformed clients will just think you are gay. Also the schooling is not a long as nursing. In NJ 1000 to 1200 hours to be able to do hair skin and nails. Half that for just skin care and about 200 for just nails. I wnet through beauty school as a 30 something male in an all female high school vo tech, very intersesting. Also county vo techs are super cheap compared to private beauty schools. Good Luck. keep us posted.