PDA

View Full Version : What length skirt do you prefer to wear in public?

sissystephanie
09-24-2011, 01:01 PM
This question may have been asked before, but I can't find it!! I know many of us wear skirts when we go out in public, and I am curious as to the length of skirt you prefer! I own skirts that barely cover me to skirts that reach my ankles!! But I prefer to wear skirts that either come just to my knees, or slightly below my kneees!

I have gone out in longer skirts, but feel I get a lot more looked at when doing so! I just got back from being out to lunch, and am wearing a skirt that stops just above my knees!! It is one of my favorites!! Of course I know that wearing a skirt like that means that I have to remember to keep my legs together!! Espcially if I am sitting where people can look directly at me!!

So the question to all of you skirt wearers is, what length skirt do you prefer?? Whether you do go out in public or not is really of no consequence!! In your own residence you can wear whatever!! But out in public, what is your choice??

Longing2be-Trisha
09-24-2011, 01:02 PM
I prefer a dress down to the knees and also down to the ankles.

Hugs

TGMarla
09-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I also prefer my skirt or dress length to be just below the knees, or longer if I'm wearing boots.

BLUE ORCHID
09-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I also prefer my skirt or dress length to be just below the knees, or longer if I'm wearing boots.

I agree with Marla I couldn't have said it better.

Orchid

Kim Young
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM
When I go out, I try to pass and blend in so I prefer knee length, above or below depending on my mood. I'm looking for a nice ankle length skirt so I don't have to wear hose. I don't shave my legs so I need to wear a thick pair of hose or double up.

Kaz
09-24-2011, 02:35 PM
When I go out I too am trying pass, so it depends on what others are wearning mainly. The skirts I prefer to go out in are below the knee.. one an A-line and the other a pencil. But I have gone out in a denim mini a 5-6 inches above my knees, but also with boots not heels!

Dami
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Above the knees, always above the knees for me.

But not as short as my Avatar / Profile pic. At least not in public.

JohnH
09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Most of the time in the summertime I wear denim skirts a little over the knees instead of shorts with an otherwise masculine presentation - man's shirt, man's pair of sandals, and no purse (the skirts have adequate pockets).

I also like to wear maxi-dresses around the house and neighborhood in commando mode as what some Scotsmen do with kilts. :)

Johanna (male name John)

Vickie_CDTV
09-24-2011, 03:30 PM
From just below the knee (usually a skirt suit or similar office wear) to mid-calf, sometimes all the way down to the ankles. With my short, thick thighs anything more than an inch about the knee isn't really practical.

Stephanie, it is interesting, I would think longer skirts would draw less ire from others, and that shorter skirts where you show more leg could be perceived as more "provocative" (others thinking you are looking for "that kind" of attention) and therefore draw more negative attention. BTW, did you happen to appear in a documentary years ago? I remember seeing one with a gal from GA who had a very similar story and presentation (and even called herself "sissy")

KINGFISHER
09-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Well I tend to wear shorter skirts and certainly get away with it without any adverse looks or comments. then I am fairly tall and slim with nice legs. I always try to look smart rather that tarty which helps. Only yesterday I was out in town and some guys errecting scaffolding gave me a wolf whistle which I take as a compliment. A lot is to do with what suits your build and how confident one is. Then I don't actually like long skirts, only on other people do they seem to look good. I sometimes wear heels when out again without any problems of drawing attention. I am afraid I don't go along with the dress to fit in school it's too boring when there are so many lovely clothes to wear with gorgeous colours and designs ect, I dress to please myself and that's the real joy for me the variety of choice. We are all different. Daniel

carhill2mn
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
A little below the knee is my preference.

Jennifer Marie P.
09-24-2011, 04:46 PM
It matters on the weather nice and sunny up to the knees cloudy or rain below the knees.

Alice B
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Just above the knees. My legs are the only good feature I have.

Rachel Morley
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
For me it depends on the time of year and where I'm going. If it's casual shopping on a Saturday afternoon in the summer, then I usually wear just above the knee skirts (like just above my knee cap). If I'm going out to a club on a warm summer evening then I usually wear a dress of the same length or maybe slightly shorter. In the winter, for casual shopping or whatever, I prefer a below the knee denim skirt with boots and for winter evenings (say I'm going out to dinner) I usually wear below the knee or tea length dresses.

Eryn
09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
As a tall girl I tend to prefer long skirts and dresses as I think that they look better on me. My wife says that I have a nice set of gams, but I don't want to flaunt that too much while trying to blend in!

Now for events where I know the people are accepting, above the knee is fun. My wife and I share some clothes and her knee-length dresses are ooh-la-la on me! :)

joank
09-24-2011, 06:14 PM
I tend to wear dressy skirts and hot weather skirts just above the knee. Denium skirts I wear longer. With a scar from surgury on my left knee I should always wear longer skirts.

Asche
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Depends upon the weather. The colder, the longer.

In summer, the hem is usually somewhere between just above and just below the knee.

In winter, ankle-length, though not so long that I step on the hem going up or down stairs.

This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, though. Sometimes I just get an urge to wear a particular long skirt in summer, or a particular short skirt in winter. YMMV.

renee k
09-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I like the length to hit around the knee. I'm way passed the mini skirt.

Renee

Nancie64
09-24-2011, 08:36 PM
I should be passed the mini skirt look and I must say that most of my skirts are above the knees but not that short. My SO tells me that I have nice legs and I always wear stockings to help the look. I do like my skirts above the knees and have woren the one in my avator out in Vegas. A few looks but who knows you out there. Boots and heels, no tennis shoes in femme.

cross-up
09-24-2011, 08:53 PM
have not made it out of the house yet !!So mine are very short !

StarrOfDelite
09-24-2011, 09:11 PM
I also have skirts and dresses of varying lengths. I cannot say I have a preference for any particular length. I like what is stylish and appropriate, and try to avoid the "mutton dressed as lamb" look, i.e. don't want to wear shirts too short for my age. Things which give me problems is that 1. since I'm 5'11 1/2" most dresses are short on me, 2. it's difficult to find long size dresses, and 3. since men tend to have shorter legs for height than women, the height factor is accentuated. The result is I can't wear most dresses which are intended for average height women. E.g., I bought a long, flared summer dress, strapless, and it was almost mid-calf, 5" above my ankles, where it would have been ankle length on a 5'6" woman.

Cynthia Anne
09-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Prefer! Now there's a word that can be answered in one four letter word! I 'prefer' to wear a MINI! But at my age I wear knee length!

DebbieL
09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I have really great legs, so I love to wear skirts that come to mid-thigh, but I also like to make sure that it's long enough to cover my butt. This is a challenge, because I have curvature of the spine. Of course, this is for parties and charity events, not for casual dress or restaurant. For regular wear, when I wear skirts I go for about 2-3 inches above the knee. I have one longer skirt that goes over the knee, but I only like wearing it with boots.

I also like to wear short shorts. I do that as both Rex and Debbie.

Cari
09-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I have tomboy knees so go with just under the knee to mid calf.
I also prefer a bit of an A line or flare.
It just creates a nicer line for me
A short tight skirt seems to highlight a lack of hips for me.

Staci G
09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
A modest just below the knee for me as well. I don't want to be a blinding light everyone stops to stare at. OH crap they do that anyway but that don't mean I need to add to the situation

Aprilrain
09-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Doesn't it depend on the occasion and weather? personally I prefer my red leather mini for funerals and weddings but I like my ankle length grey skirt for the gym O_O

BiancaEstrella
09-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm tall with long, curvy legs - I like to show mine off. The shorter, the better (to an extent!)

sissystephanie
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
The occasion does kind of dictate which skirt I will wear. But even though I am older than many of you on this forum, I still have very good looking legs. In fact, I have been in a number of leg judging contests and won a few of them. So I certainly don't mind showing off my legs when out as Stephanie!! Same with my Natural 40 B's!! If you have it, show it!!

wendy360
09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
For me it depends on where I'm going. If I'm going to the local support group that meets at a church, then I wear a knee length or better shirt. Out to the movies usually 2-3 inches above the knee unless its cold then a longer skirt is better. Out clubbing, the short ad tighter the better.

t-girlxsophie
09-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I usually wear skirts just above or below knee,in the winter I also like wearing longer skirts with knee high boots,still have a few mini skirts but they really only are worn at home,im not admitting that im too old for them,yet.mind you doesn't stop others saying it LOL

Sophie

Stephanie47
09-25-2011, 12:39 PM
My preference is from two inches above the knee to mid calf depending on the weather. I like to take evening strolls and taking drives. When driving I always want to have the dress and slip cascading over my knees. Therefore, mid calf works great. If I am taking an evening stroll I wear a knee length (+/-) dress. Last time out the weather was cool but pleasant so I wore a knee length dress and a short jacket which allowed for the swishing/movement of the dress across the rear and legs. When the weather is rainy, then I wear a black raincoat with either a knee length dress or mid calf. Due to the lack of lovely dresses for tall girls, most of my dresses are either sheaths or empire waists. A lot of my on line purchases that are advertised as mid calf end up hitting just below the knee. I'm looking forward to my wife eight day trip to the mid west. With evening coming on earlier and the end of daylight savings time, I'm looking forward to a nightly drive and stroll.

Wendae
09-25-2011, 12:41 PM
A little above the knee to half way up the calf.

lesleybel
09-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I prefer to wear them to the knee, or slightly below.

Kelly Greene
09-25-2011, 03:36 PM
The majority of my skirts fall just above the knee to mid-thigh. I keep telling my self that I should get longer skirts but I like showing off my legs.

sara.s
09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I have medium length skirt and no long skirt, but i prefer to wear full length so then i wont have to shave legs :devil:. I think its also easier to tuck with full length skirt.

StephanieC
09-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm dying to find an excuse to wear the mini's but so far, it's mostly around the knee. I really don't like ankle-length. Short skirts with leggings is also a possibility.
-stephani

Cheryl T
09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I prefer skirts from 1-2" above the knee to about the same below the knee. They seem the most flexible to me for the styles that I enjoy. I do like shorter skirts, but only for casual wear during the summer.
I really don't care for long skirts unless it's a formal style for some very dressy occasion.

Cheryl S.
09-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I currently own a denim miniskirt and a mini sweater dress and both get me the attention when I wear them out especially with a nice pair of stiletto pumps...

PrettyFlowingGown
09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Long and flowing, preferbly chiffon or silk. I have a few skirts that come to ankle length. i love the feel and the shimmering as i walk. i love walking out on a breezy night and having my skirt brush against me. beautiful feeling.

Loretta
09-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Whenever I'm out and about, I ALWAYS wear a skirt that ends just above my knee, so I can show off my legs.
In winter, it's the same, just with pantyhose and closed-toe shoes.

Diane Smith
09-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Most of my skirts are an inch or two above the knee. I always wear stockings with garters and therefore don't often go any shorter than that. On the other hand, just below the knee always looks a little odd to me. I have a few that are calf length, and a few more at ankle length.

- Diane

ashleymasters
09-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Well maybe I'm just a hussy but as short as I can go without revealing that certain something I've tucked away. Also of course I love pencil skirts that are just above the knee.

dominique
09-26-2011, 03:54 AM
For me its either just above or below my knees, so I can show off my legs.

Amymonroe
09-26-2011, 03:56 AM
i have yet to go out of the house wearing a skirt at least in the day time. but if i could go out dressed i would prefer a skirt above the knee only about an inch or two.

erickka
09-26-2011, 05:27 AM
I like ones that either are around knee length or a full maxi skirt.

kimdl93
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
mostly knee length or a tad longer.

Wendy W
09-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Around knee length and preferbly above. But occasion and weather certainly plays a big factor. Thanks for the thread!

Wendy

Loni
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
i have so many. no mini's, but most are just above of at/below the knee. and i have so many that go down to the ankles, or mid way between the knee and ankle.
so i guess below the knee is best for me, as my knees are not so great looking. and the surgery scar's on my left leg are not pretty. (not ugly - just not pretty).

Jillian Faith
09-26-2011, 09:32 PM
For casual occasions 1-2" above the knee, otherwise just above the knee.

Farrah Rose
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
long enough to not show the goods when squatting to pick something up or sit.

JenniferRose
09-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Just above the knees also depends on weather for the time of the year

pink femme
09-27-2011, 01:29 AM
for me(as i walk around the house and patio) its lovely to wear a black skirt to just below the knee, femine and flirty(have to wear black opaque tights to hide my legs). Sometimes if i want nude tights then skirt will be a little longer. Its much better than talking about cars or tools or fixing things
pinkiex

felicity84
09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
depends on weather and what i'm doing

if its warm and i wont be sitting too much i'll go for a denim mini about 13"

warm or slightly cool with sitting involved i will go for the knee length

cooler weather or for straight up lounging knee to floor length, you know the length where your feet just kind of peek out from underneath. i love them super long.

i have tree trunk legs so anything that's shorter than mid thigh is out. I could go on a tangent about my legs but I'll spare you lol. usually just above the knee looks best on me and shows my legs very well. and i never wear panty hose. i love when a breeze caresses my legs

5150 Girl
09-27-2011, 02:09 AM
I like alittle leg, but with a hint oh modesty... so I go just above the knee

brandi.tgurl
09-27-2011, 03:02 AM
i am comfortable wearing skirts in public that range mid-thigh to knee-length. type doesn't really matter. i only have a few skirts that go below my knees, and am not bothered by the extra length, but i don't feel natural in them. I've always been told i have nice legs, and i like to show them off. lol, what can i say?

StephanieDragg
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Usually after I find a nice suit, dress or skirt my next stop is the tailor to have it shortened, at longest a bit above the knee, depending on the length of jacket or top I am going to wear with it, but usually I love wearing them short to show a lot of leg

bridget thronton
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Knee length - just above or just below depending on event

Sally24
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I wear all lengths at one time or another. My favorite to wear to public places would be at the knee or slightly above. I have decent legs so I feel showing those and some modest cleavage give me a fair chance of passing. Pencil skirts are my favorite as they give me a pretty defined shape and accentuate my hips.

Toni Citara
09-28-2011, 01:04 PM
My fav skirt is black with a slit above the left thigh and falls right across the knees.

Fiona Lindum
09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Usually just above the knee, but will be wearing longer skirts once the weather starts getting colder.

ArleneRaquel
09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
As short as possible, I love to show my legs.

Loveday
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Usually three to four inches above the knee out in public, in the house very short mini's are found by me to be most comfortable.

Sam-antha
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I have not worn a skirt much below the knee since the sixties. Present style is variable depending on the location/time/occasion. I have a definite liking for the mini but it is a few years since Ihave been out in public in a town in daylight with my pet mini, a frayed denim number.