PDA

View Full Version : Thrift Store Shopping

Lisa Marie
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Ive been reading in here recently about the ladies going to Thrift Stores and Goodwill. I usually like new stuff but thought id give it a try. Ive been going for a few weeks to the Goodwill Store and found I can save alot more money they have nice looking skirts and dresses. Just bought me a skirt today for 3 bucks and it was a Fashion Bug one. Wish I could find me a wedding dress in the right size. Thanks to all the ladies in here im now been going to goodwill for all my goodies. Angie

Wendy me
10-14-2005, 05:53 PM
happy shopping........

ChrissyCrossedLegs
10-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Thrift shops at www.ebay.co.uk (http://www.ebay.co.uk) :) but did used to do the same as you.. felt in the end that the UK ones were getting almost as expensive as the new shops where.. hence switch to 'my beloved'...
Good hunting
SammyJo

Robertacd
10-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Goodwill is my favorite place to shop. Keep looking for that wedding gown, at least once a year our local one gets a shipment of them, I almost bought one myself this year.

Charlotte
10-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I would do about 90% of my shopping at a variety of thrift stores - I have found some very good ones. Great bargains,
I almost bought MY first wedding dress from one yesterday.
One of my fav stores get alot of clothing direct from retailers that cant sell them. Old stock is good to me !

Lauren_T
10-16-2005, 03:21 AM
I've bought most of my clothes from thrifts for some time... it gives me opportunity to experiment with pieces that, if they don't fit properly or aren't right for whatever reason, I'm only out a buck or two on...

and bargains, f'rinstance as I mentioned a while back:

I call these bargains:
A dreamy medium-gray silk BCBG MaxAzria skirt for two dollars
A purple lace Dior garter belt for fifty cents
A black velvet DKNY dress for a buck
(OK, it has a 1/2 in spot on the shoulder, but still, the girliest-feeling piece of outerwear I have - my first 'little black dress!')

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a GG friend who wears 6 1/2s a pair of grey kid Bally pumps w/ 2-in heels, absolutely perfect, like they were never worn. $4.00 and tax. For virtually brand-new what? 3-or 400-dollar? shoes. And gorgeous ones, at that.

and recently I got 3 lovely flowered Gap bras for .75 each and a charming chocolate sleeveless Pierre Cardin dress for $2... I even found a fantastic green La Perla bra & panty set for $3 (easily over $150 - $200 new, if not more) - I could've cried when I saw they were so ridiculously under my size... but I remembered that they don't make much ultra-posh lingerie in my size... :(

Sherlyn
10-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Im a Goodwill shopper too .... why pay 40 to 50 for a nice skirt ..when you can pay 4 to 5..I mean ya they are used ,,,however I,ve found new ones still tagged at this price ...and they have racks and racks of em ...shoes sweaters coats dresses tops ..etc...my store store even bags panty hose and thigh highs in packages of 3 to 4 pairs that have never been open for 2 bucks :)

TGMarla
10-16-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm a sucker for a nice Goodwill or Salvation Army store. The scrumptious pink sweater I'm wearing in my avatar is from goodwill, as is the black skirt. I shop there on a regular basis. Last year I found a yummy cowl-neck winter sweater with big poofy sleeves. It's real warm and real pretty. One lady's trash is another lady's treasure! And I agree. Why pay $60.00 for something new that can be had for $5.00 at Goodwill. It's a great place to shop. You have to ignore the fact that if you aren't dressed up when you shop there, you're a guy in a thrift store buying chick clothes, but I just figure, "Hey, I don't know these people, and they don't know me. So who cares!"

Sherlyn
10-16-2005, 09:02 AM
EXACTLY MARLA!!! I even went in dressed friday night ,,,,they dont know me ..I dont know them ...although the 1 women workn always sees me there in drab ...she was near the the door on my way out ..gave me a little ..eeek!!!lol

Adrianne
10-16-2005, 10:10 AM
I got thrift stores and Salvation Army stores all the time and get some real great clothes for low prices.

Adrianne.

urban gypsy
10-16-2005, 10:15 AM
All the thrift shops around were I live have sold out of items in my size.:rolleyes: Can't think who bought it all.
:p Bigger wardrobe please.

christine55
10-16-2005, 03:43 PM
If you've got time to look you can find some really nice stuff. The only thing I've been having a hard time finding is a sharp looking business suit in my size.
One of the pluses is that if you like to wear stuff that is not in style at the moment you can pick up some really nice stuff. This blouse and skirt was only $7. I go dressed femme but dress as casually as I can, usually a jean skirt.
Hugs, Christine
http://myweb.cableone.net/rjoh2/thriftstore.jpg

Barbara Beaulieu
10-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Thats how I started my wardrobe. Goodwill,Sal army, and 2nd hand stores, Now I'm going to retail stores and buying wife birthday cards w/ the purchase. Picked up a pretty red skirt yesterday at Target, only 14.99. But for cocktail dresses I always go to 2nd hand stores. You can't beat the prices. $40 or 50 for a dress that cost $150. new. Plus I love the fact that a GG has worn it before, Her essence is still there

knelson
10-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Tips foe thrift shopping. 1) go on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Most ladies clean out their closets over the weekend, drop them off at the donation bins and get sorted and placed on the rack on Monday. 2) Don't forget about the accessories. I have picked up many a good purse from a thrift store. 3) Save money. :angel: and spend it on makeup

jessi girl
10-16-2005, 06:54 PM
if i could find a thrift store tha accomodates to the "sleazy" side of life. i'd be their. i do visit goodwill and 2nd hand shops. i do find good deals on nice duds that i alter to meet my likings. i i cand fint sleaze, im makin it :>)

Lauren_T
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
When shopping in a thrift store, when you find something you like - especially if you wear an unusual size - look carefully. When someone donates, obviously it's all gonna be the same size, so if you find one item, there are likely to be more from that same GG's closet...

When I'm lucky enough to find one pair of 12W shoes, I then make sure to go through all of 'em, and usually, sure enough, there's more and similar in style, quality, et cetera...:thumbsup:

KatieZ
10-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I buy most of my skirts and dresses at goodwill stores. There are 6 within 45 minutes of me. They all have a changing room and most are located near the back of the store. It is easy to just walk along with an armload of dresses and pop into one unobserved. By now though I don't even bother to look around to see if anyone is watching me. I just go on in. I got a couple funny looks when I first started buying from there but now they are just used to seeing me and they are all pleasent towards me. One new girl got a bit flustered once at the register and after bagging my purchases she said "have fun er uh have a good day uh..." I just chuckled and said you too dear and walked out.

Hugs

Stephanie Kay
10-16-2005, 09:51 PM
When I can't find the time or situation to dress up and I need a feminine "fix" I stop at the Goodwill store on the way home and just browse en drab. Everybody there is helpful even though it's obvious I am looking for women's clothes for myself. I try on things to my heart's content and sometimes even find something I like at a very reasonable price.

I also like consignment shops. We have a great upscale one here in Madison called the Pink Poodle and the owner has always been complimentary when I try things on! Nice clothes at about half price!

Sally2005
10-17-2005, 12:43 AM
I tried it in drab mode. My favorite is the Valuevillage (huge selection and no funny looks). The Salvation army is smaller and Good Will had staff that watched every move I made. At the Value Village I descretly tried on stuff and got no funny comments at the cash. Of course it is close to halloween so that was going to be my story.

Khriss
10-17-2005, 12:59 AM
ohh the skirts I've puchased at amazingly reduced prices at "Thrift Stores".. gotta luv it!! hehe "K"

jessbcuzz
10-17-2005, 06:40 AM
I have just started shopping at the Goodwill myself. I think it is more daring. When I went last week to look for some lady jeans, I was told by an employee that the mens were upstairs. I said ok, and went about looking for some jeans. I did get a couple of pairs of jeans and some new tops. I think I am liking it better than e-bay!

NikkiT
10-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Shopping in second hand stores can be fun, but can also be really frustrating... especially when it's at Value Village. I've shopped there before and found some really nice looking dresses, only to take a look at the price tag and cry out "$25??? Isn't this used???" Most of the decent finds there can be found at Wal-Mart for the same price, except Wal-Mart clothes are brand new.

Sazzle
10-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I've only actually been out clothes shopping in the real world once (god bless ebay!) with a GG friend. We went touring the charity shops round the next town, got a few dirty looks from the staff (in drab) ended up not buying much, but I did spend £7 on the most gorgeous black dress with white 'tips' my flatmate in the next room is so jelous that she can't borrow it! (she's a 12, its a 16 - uk sizes)

Gunda
10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi All,
Do all my shopping at Goodwill. No problems as yet. Most people don't seem to care and my money is good with them no matter if I'm buying a dress or skirt for myself. Most of the staff are perfectly frieindly.
This close to Halloween has made things a bit easier and I realize that I'll probably have to be a bit more discreet the rest of the year but probably won't be - I am what I am. I too, sometimes like to just browse the womens' section at Goodwill even if I don't buy anything, as I always see new clothes to wish after and search for next time around.

Best,
Gunda

Leilani68
10-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Thrift shops are good for a couple of reasons.
1) Most importantly 90% of Thrift shops are non profit stores who's take in goes to a good cause.........
2)Yes, great bargains My Wife & I have walked out of a Thrift Shop spending an average every couple of weeks
of about $30 on 5-10 items, get home do some research and find out we have
saved as much as an average of $300-$500 vs. Retail.:)