PDA

View Full Version : Is crossdressing a form of dyslexia?

Frédérique
09-26-2011, 04:31 PM
“There is no cure for dyslexia, but dyslexic individuals can learn to read and write with appropriate educational support. Early intervention is very helpful.” (Wikipedia)

I’m wondering if crossdressing is a form of dyslexia, maybe “gender dyslexia” for lack of a better term. I’m talking about MtF crossdressing in its most basic form, ranging from an occasional dip into the pool of gender confusion, all the way to dressing as often as you can to assuage a desire that borders on addiction. How did it all begin? How did this come about? Hmmm...

They say everyone is mildly dyslexic; at least that’s what I’ve heard. I would say that I am a little bit dyslexic, but not overly so (I may be in denial about this). I type these written pieces rather slowly, and I often transpose letters in certain words over and over again – I usually type “persoanl” when I mean personal, and I always type “balck” when I mean black, just to state a couple of examples. Before I submit anything (isn’t submission a lovely word?), I have to check and re-check everything several times to make sure I’m coming through loud and clear. In my case, “educational support” is self-generated. It’s a struggle, to be sure, and OCD may be a factor...

I didn’t have too many problems with dyslexia when I was in school, but my other main handicap, namely a persistent speech impediment, was seen by many in authority as dyslexia. Of course, fancy words were not used when I was young – you were either “exceptional,” “normal,” “slow,” or just plain “stupid.” I would often avoid speaking for long stretches, if only to avoid being bullied for my stuttering, or avoid being singled-out for “correction” by a teacher. I was picked on for my verbal imperfections, my odd name (for a boy), and my submissive, effeminate nature. Withdrawal and isolation from my troublesome peers exacerbated the situation, but it inspired me to get in close personal “touch” with the realm of the senses...

Apparently, dyslexic people are often particularly gifted in art, music, sport, drama, or anything involving visual creativity. That describes me well, since I am a visual artist. Some would call me “talented” or “gifted,” but I prefer to see my creativity as the product of isolation – at an early age I was painted (pun intended) into a corner by my own reluctance to be normal, or male, and I tried to make the best of this unfortunate situation. I’m still doing that, and crossdressing is a by-product of my artistic nature, which in turn is merely the “slot” I fell into for lack of a better hiding place. To look at it another way, what if I CANNOT assimilate my gender role, or gender expectations, and this in turn makes me seem dyslexic, at least in the eyes of the world? The term dyslexia is used as an excuse to rationalize certain types of behavior these days, so why can’t we make use of it, in an effort to deflect the naysayers? I’m not in any way suggesting that MtF crossdressing is a kind of failure or shortcoming, but I think it’s safe to say that non-believers see it in a negative light...

I mean, when you’re young you are presented with all the things you are expected to be – in my case, being born a male, I’ve been marinated in male-ness since day one. However, I don’t “get” it. I can’t understand why I have to be male, plus I’m unwilling to learn the rules or habits that males wear like a drab uniform. Why do I have to be like THAT, when I find females to be much more engaging, approachable, compassionate, and, well...feminine? I keep transposing my male being with desirous (better) female attributes, based on what I’ve learned through observation – isn’t this a form of dyslexia, since it just seems to happen in an unforced way? Since everyone will try to correct my “problems” in an effort to force me to conform, I see myself as a gender dyslexic...

Dyslexics are by no means “stupid,” but I was alternately seen as “slow” or “exceptional” by the teachers I had in school – if my artistic nature was detected (keep in mind I was very shy), I did well, but if the person in authority was ungifted in the feelings department, I went into hiding. I just wanted to get through it, and, in the same way, I would like to just get through this life as best I can. In my case, wearing female clothing, or emulating those female attributes I admire, is a no-brainer along the road to personal happiness. I’m still trying to fit in; since I don’t “buy” the circumstances I’ve been given. Perhaps I just do not (or cannot) recognize gender boundaries, and this qualifies as a form of dyslexia. Looking around, I know I’m not alone (or stupid, either)...

I’m discussing the idea of crossdressing as a type of (gender) dyslexia because, to many, it is seen as a “condition” that requires remedial attention. Much like the traditional examples of dyslexia, think of our reluctance to be male, at least in appearance, as a specific learning difficulty – we do not learn to “read and write” in terms of our assigned gender. Referring to the quoted text above, there is no cure for dyslexia, and “Early intervention is helpful.” Therefore, if a young boy is not accepting his role as a male, and wishes to see himself as female ( or perhaps a third gender), the ones who try to guide the “confused” adolescent will get on his case and try to straighten him out. In my way of thinking, this dyslexic behavior, in regards to gender, should be welcomed and not scorned, but how many times do you hear, “What are you DOING?” or “You’ve GOT to be kidding!” or “STOP doing that!” You’re supposed to do things the “right” way, and not veer off from your assigned life path. People are counting on you, remember?

I suppose it’s better to be a gender dyslexic and gain a little understanding from a minority of compassionate individuals, rather than be labeled “QUEER” and dismissed as one of nature’s mistakes, but not everyone can recognize active expression of “self” when they encounter it. You need to appreciate beauty to see that some people, let’s call them MtF crossdressers, are making their lives into a work of art – not ALL of them, of course, but I tend to see crossdressing as a form of visual creativity. You bring your “self” into being, and it’s really beautiful, but few outsiders see it that way. I read that the brains of dyslexics are shaped differently than those of non-dyslexics. That could be, and, if it’s true, I take it as a blessing of sorts – I was thus allowed to be different, and my speech problems, seen as a kind of dyslexia in my formative years, led to other, more solitary explorations into the nature of gender. To some I’m stupid, and to others I’m a highly gifted individual, but, as far as I’m concerned, not being able to learn how to be masculine is a really GOOD thing...

The question is not “Are you dyslexic?” The question IS “Can crossdressing be seen (or explained) as a form of gender dyslexia?” They gave me a male instruction manual, but I’m unable to make sense of it. I REALLY need a hug...
:sad:

PS – Heaviness on Monday! Softer topics are coming, I promise...:doh:

Kaitlyn26
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
To answer the question, not so much. I'm dyslexic, I assume you're not? Dyslexia is something that only happens for a few seconds. The most basic way to deal with it, is to learn not to trust your initial observation when it comes to sequences or pairs. Like a stop light. I always look at them a total of 3-4 times to make sure it's actually the way my brain registered it as being. You perceive things wrongly for a short amount of time. For example a dyslexic person might type the word Mississippi, as Mssissipiip, and actually see the word correctly, at first. The problem is not limited to sequences and pairs, but they are what will give a dyslexic person trouble the most. It's not like the perception sticks around very long at all.

p.s. Several words in that response tripped the spell checker. Perceive, sequences, and perception. ;) All of the errors were in the order of two common pairs of letters.

p.p.s. If you do not see the words as being spelled properly the first time, you're not dyslexic. :)

Miss Maxine
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
This suggests that it's something that needs to be cured. I'm not sure that that applies...at least not in my situation.

Gillian Gigs
09-26-2011, 05:15 PM
I can sometimes get things bass ackwards, and it drives my wife nuts how I can reverse my b's and d's. The more tired I get the more prone I am to making mistakes. Maybe that is why at the end of a busy day, the best thing is to kick back in something "comfortable".

Annaliese
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Dyslexia are like crossdressers not all are the same. When I am reading if it is on white paper and black print, the letter and words are moving. If I put a blue transparency all the word and letter stop moving. When I am writing in my mind I get these mixed up was for saw or how for who as just a few examples. I also see thing in 3D when I am building something. I did not chose to be Dyslexic nor did I chose to be a CD I have made the best of being dyslexic earning a BS and then a Master in ED. The same with CDing I now make the best of it, because it is how I am. This would be for an interesting study and you raise some interesting points. I think the main problem is, main stream think we chose this.

kimdl93
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I am a dyslexic anorexic. I see myself in the mirror and think you I'm not fat enough
-Rossanne Barr

Elizabeth Ann
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
You are not dyslexic. No one who writes like you is dyslexic. Dyslexia runs in my family. I have a mild condition, but even so, I strain to be concise. Spell checkers are sent by God.

I know you are using a metaphor, but I think not a good one. Dyslexics have difficulty processing outside stimuli, but I don't think that is what you want to suggest about crossdressing. We just can't tell the difference between women's and men's clothes? Why not use the metaphor of one who has difficulty with the appropriate expression: crossingdressing as a form of Aspergers syndrome? No, I don't like that either.

This business of equating crossdressing to some sort of abnormal psychology is dangerous, I think. If crossdressing is a physiological effect of your brain chemistry, well then let's just develop the appropriate pharmacology, take the pill, put our pants back on, and go home to our wives. Maybe there is something to that, but take this to its extreme: eliminate crossdressing with a pill, eliminate obsessive compulsive behavior, alcoholism, overeating with a pill. How about aggressive behavior, or interrupting your superiors? Wouldn't it be great to have a nice, docile population happy to eat at bland restaurants and all wear the same thing?

Rather, I look forward to a world where infinite variation in human behavior is to be celebrated. Use a metaphor from genetics if you must. Our variety produces a much stronger society than one with little "cross pollination".

Liz

I am a dyslexic anorexic. I see myself in the mirror and think you I'm not fat enough
-Rossanne Barr

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there was a Dog.

How about the dyslexic Devil worshiper. He sold his soul to Santa.

FionaO
09-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I think you are right even though I am not dyslexic myself in fact I am an extemely good speller and can spot mistakes a mile away. The reason I agree is that I find that the spelling of many people on this forum is (attrosius), (atrociuos), (adtrocious), terrible.

bridgetta
09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
TOTALLY ... i agree ... the gods forgot to install the software that makes me distinguish caring about fabric shapes. its just fabric after all.. im attracted to woman.. why would i possibly spend my time trying to look masculine. what possible pleasure would come out of that?

Cynthia Anne
09-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Usem kountry girls aint'nt got the time to thunk of things like that! We to busy sloppin' the horses and feedin' the hogs!:eek::drink:

SusanMarie
09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
:bighug: and :hugs: and :bh:

There is truth in what you write.

Niya W
09-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Simply put people that are dyslexic process information differently. What we need help with is interpreting some of the data we see the same way as others. I say some of the data because the ability to see things differently does give dyslexic a unique ability when it comes to problem solving. Because dyslexic interprets that data differently a dyslexic person is more likly to try some thing different then the rest. I'm not saying that every one who is dyslexic will be a genius, but some of the greatest minds of the world are dyslexic. In my opinion I do not see being dyslexic as some thing I need to cure or get rid of. Just like I don't see being trans as some thing to cure or get rid of. I had to learn to be comfortable in my body as women with the help of medicine. I had to learn to deal with being dyslexic with the help of medicine .

Kaitlyn26
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Usem kountry girls aint'nt got the time to thunk of things like that! We to busy sloppin' the horses and feedin' the hogs!:eek::drink:

I caught that. :p :heehee:

Simply put people that are dyslexic process information differently. What we need help with is interpreting some of the data we see the same way as others. I say some of the data because the ability to see things differently does give dyslexic a unique ability when it comes to problem solving. Because dyslexic interprets that data differently a dyslexic person is more likly to try some thing different then the rest. I'm not saying that every one who is dyslexic will be a genius, but some of the greatest minds of the world are dyslexic. In my opinion I do not see being dyslexic as some thing I need to cure or get rid of. Just like I don't see being trans as some thing to cure or get rid of. I had to learn to be comfortable in my body as women with the help of medicine. I had to learn to deal with being dyslexic with the help of medicine .

So that's why I have a different explanation for things than everyone else? Hmm, I think I like this dyslexia. :D To quote one of my favorite movies of all time, "Beyond the peak of insanity lies divine clarity". Okay, being dyslexic doesn't make me insane, but you get the idea. :p

NathalieX66
09-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Frederique,
I don't know why you post such long posts. ....Sorry to be a jerk here.

dyslexia is a condition that is totally separate from gender identity.

You like what you like, and i like what I like.
I lik pizza with pepperoni & mushrooms. Other people like pizza with peppers and onions, which I can't stand. Are they any less people than me? I love sushi and i could eat it every day. There's plenty of people that hate seafood entirely, let alone raw fish. Seriously, there's no need for philisophical discourse.

I go out in public wearing dresses, and being a girl. Im not going to rant further. Want to pm me on my lifestyle? Fine, tell me your situation, and maybe I can help.

Enjoy life, be merry.

Miss Maxine
09-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Frederique,
There's plenty of people that hate seafood entirely, let alone raw fish. .

People who don't like fish are Wrong. ^_~

sandra-leigh
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
I have a quite poor visual creativity; I am highly word oriented instead.

docrobbysherry
09-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Frederique,

dyslexia is a condition that is totally separate from gender identity.

You like what you like, and i like what I like.
I lik pizza with pepperoni & mushrooms. Other people like pizza with peppers and onions, which I can't stand. Are they any less people than me? I love sushi and i could eat it every day. There's plenty of people that hate seafood entirely, let alone raw fish. Seriously, there's no need for philisophical discourse.

I go out in public wearing dresses, and being a girl. Im not going to rant further. Want to pm me on my lifestyle? Fine, tell me your situation, and maybe I can help.
Enjoy life, be merry.

I just CAN'T let u get away with saying that, Nathalie!:sad:
Because I KNOW pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, AND peppers and onions ROCKS!:D

But, your sushi comment makes me wonder? Do CDs prefer sushi while TSs prefer oysters? Maybe TGs in general, LIKE fish? Or shellfish? THAT sounds like it could be a great topic for a new thread!:thumbsup:

noeleena
09-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi.

I am dyslexic major, & even the spellchecker does not under stand my spelling so i have had Jos spell a few words i use a lot of & i printed them in a book. & some times when im really stuck ill do this tho the meaning is there the word is not = it was not pr....r for my friend to walk . = the word is proper, & thers many words i can not spell..

A comment was made if caught young enough we can be helped, sorry to say i was caught & was not able to understand for 13 years how to spell or do maths , grammer & theres another word comprhenstion that i can not spell tests i could not do because my mind blanks out & my test papers were , my name at the top right & that was it handed in & i got 1 out of 100 only because i could print my name, that my Mum taught me to do,

Heres a odd one some one said you can not by maths work out the size of a cycle & a sq, i cant any ways because for some reason it wont work .

Heres the ?
A square circle , one can not construt a square & circle to have the same exact area pi is a transcendental number & has no algebriaic roots with a raional number coeffcients = a square of area 16 has sides of 4 but can one constuct a circle with an area 16 .. only approximatly never exacly , can you construct a sq with area pi 4 squared no so can we have a sq circle,

I said why not put a peace of string around the sq & then make your circle simple i thought,

any way i had to copy those big words i can not work out the maths so my string can to get my cicle, dumb ...a....oh the word is Squircle = well put it on the net see what comes up.

oh well .....

...noeleena...

Frédérique
09-27-2011, 08:42 AM
I appreciate the hugs from those who offered them! :bighug:

Simply put people that are dyslexic process information differently. What we need help with is interpreting some of the data we see the same way as others. I say some of the data because the ability to see things differently does give dyslexic a unique ability when it comes to problem solving. Because dyslexic interprets that data differently a dyslexic person is more likely to try some thing different then the rest.

I’m pleased you understand the concept I was trying to get across in the OP! I have a hard time “processing” the idea of being a male, and crossdressing offers a pleasant solution to the problem, although I don’t really see any difficulties with being different. I’ve always been slow to catch on to concepts that everyone takes for granted, and I “read” the situation before me unlike others do. To this day I decry gender stereotypes, preferring a world where “crossing over” is going on more than one would think. Thanks for the thoughtful response…

On the other hand (see below):

Frederique, I don't know why you post such long posts. ....Sorry to be a jerk here.

Nice BOOBS! There, do you feel better now? :heehee:

Since you are dysthymic (well, you did famously say “I don’t give a rat’s a**" during one of your MANY negative responses to something I had written), I will abstain from responding to your latest bon mot by affecting TGMarla’s feminine air, and curtsy gracefully as I withdraw. I would LOVE to send you a PM, but, since you dislike lengthy written pieces, what is the point?
:idontknow:

Do CDs prefer sushi while TSs prefer oysters?

I prefer neither, since I am a TRANSVESTITE. Thanks for turning a serious discussion about the whys and wherefores about crossdressing into a conversation about food. You can amend your sin of commission by posting seriously in a more casual thread, thereby turning it into an intellectual discussion completely at odds with the intention of the author. I know you won’t, but it would be FUN, wouldn’t it?

A comment was made if caught young enough we can be helped, sorry to say i was caught & was not able to understand for 13 years how to spell or do maths , grammer & theres another word comprhenstion that i can not spell tests i could not do because my mind blanks out…

If they had detected the extent of my effeminate nature when I was young, I’m sure it would’ve been beaten out of me in no uncertain terms. Actually, many of my peers tried to do just that, but I managed to keep my personality intact. I bump into people trying to change the way I am all the time, even on this site, as a matter of fact. There are many reasons why we may become a CD (or a TV), and I feel there may be something to this “crossed wires” idea…
:thinking:

TGMarla
09-27-2011, 09:08 AM
....some people, let’s call them MtF crossdressers, are making their lives into a work of art – not ALL of them, of course, but I tend to see crossdressing as a form of visual creativity. You bring your “self” into being, and it’s really beautiful, but few outsiders see it that way.

This particular part of the tome resonates with me quite well. I fully see the correlation you are trying to make, and it seems to me from looking at several of the responses that many here see dislexia as some sort of disease state. It's not. It's not even necessarily a condition that requires curing. It simply requires the learner and the teacher to proceed in a different way. Sure, it can be debilitating if the effect is having letters jump around on a page when you're trying to read, but otherwise, it's like Niya said: "People that are dyslexic process information differently."

I certainly process gender and gender presentation differently. And I'm somewhat artistically gifted, too. I write music and play several instruments. That, and feminine emulation, are my artistic outlets. I try to be good at both of them. Sometimes, I even succeed.

I never thought of myself as dyslexic in any way at all. However, this thoughtful post makes me see the whole thing a bit differently. Perhaps I am a bit gender dyslexic after all.

On the other hand (see below):

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by NathalieX66
Frederique, I don't know why you post such long posts. ....Sorry to be a jerk here.

Nice BOOBS! There, do you feel better now? :heehee:

Since you are dysthymic (well, you did famously say “I don’t give a rat’s a**" during one of your MANY negative responses to something I had written), I will abstain from responding to your latest bon mot by affecting TGMarla’s feminine air, and curtsy gracefully as I withdraw. I would LOVE to send you a PM, but, since you dislike lengthy written pieces, what is the point?
:idontknow:

*Snicker!*

RachelPortugal
09-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Dyslexia! Perhaps that is why transvestitism became known as crossdressing.

eluuzion
09-27-2011, 09:31 AM
What was that middle part again?

Wait a minute I think that expensive bottled water called Evian is spelled backwards...what do you think...lol?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch projcet at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wiohe.
Amzanig, huh?:D

:love:

Dawn cd
09-27-2011, 09:35 AM
I am mildly dyslexic, particularly when it comes to numbers. I frequently get times of day mixed up when I look at a clock. The notion of "gender dyslexia" makes a lot of sense to me. It may be a metaphor rather than a scientific certainty, but it is an illuminating metaphor. Thank you, Freddy.

Elizabeth Ann
09-27-2011, 09:42 AM
I’m pleased you understand the concept I was trying to get across in the OP! I have a hard time “processing” the idea of being a male, and crossdressing offers a pleasant solution to the problem, although I don’t really see any difficulties with being different. I’ve always been slow to catch on to concepts that everyone takes for granted, and I “read” the situation before me unlike others do. To this day I decry gender stereotypes, preferring a world where “crossing over” is going on more than one would think. Thanks for the thoughtful response…

No. I don't wish to get into an epistemological debate, but there is a difference between ideas and information. In this context, the important distinction is that information comes from external stimuli, while ideas reside within one's own mind. "Processing" is very different for these two. I am not quite sure what you intend by "the idea of being a male," but to suggest crossdressing as a solution implies that it is a problem of expression rather than interpretation of new information.

I really wish you would drop this whole dyslexia idea. Argument by analogy almost always leads to imprecise logic, and the theory of knowledge is particularly prone to this.

Liz

Niya W
09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
I really wish you would drop this whole dyslexia idea. Argument by analogy almost always leads to imprecise logic, and the theory of knowledge is particularly prone to this.

Liz
How is that? If you process information differently it's possible to struggle and understand certain ideas and processes. Please explain to me as some who is Dyslexic, Transgender and AHDH. The op is talking talking about processing Ideas. When I came out it was an interpretation of new data . THe new data was that I am not a freak. Also being dyslexic you can not septate external stimuli from how you process things, but you can learn to control it. To me that is a very similar analogy when comes to me being transgender . Also dyslexia is not one size fits all. So what the OP said is valid for me .

eluuzion
09-27-2011, 10:09 AM
What was that middle part again? Wait a minute I think that expensive bottled water called Evian is spelled backwards...what do you think...lol?:D

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch projcet at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig, huh?:)

:love:

*Vanessa*
09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Liz

Thanks for this Liz. I am in total agreement this notion.

Kaitlyn26
09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
To be blunt Freddy, you sound like a transsexual, in attitude, perspective, and personality. I'm sorry if you need to explain yourself away as being somehow broken. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a woman in you that's going to come out before you die. No, I'm not buying "gender dyslexic". :)

BillieJoEllen
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Dyslexics of America untie!

Elizabeth Ann
09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann

Liz

How is that? If you process information differently it's possible to struggle and understand certain ideas and processes. Please explain to me as some who is Dyslexic, Transgender and AHDH. The op is talking talking about processing Ideas. When I came out it was an interpretation of new data . THe new data was that I am not a freak. Also being dyslexic you can not septate external stimuli from how you process things, but you can learn to control it. To me that is a very similar analogy when comes to me being transgender . Also dyslexia is not one size fits all. So what the OP said is valid for me .

Niya,
I am sorry if I offended you. I try to be very sensitive to issues of "disabilities." One of my brothers is on social security disability for being Bipolar. I have a nephew who is dyslexic and a niece with epilepsy. There was a tragic death in the family directly related to schizophrenia, and I am mildly dyslexic.

I HATE these discussions, but these conditions need to be seen for what they are, and for that they need to be understood, demystified, and not loaded with excess baggage. That death from schizophrenia? His diary was loaded with shame that made my heart break.

Dyslexia concerns the way in which you interact with the outside world. You can have a fine and brilliant mind and be dyslexic, as many have. If you want, you can think of it in a computer analogy. Dyslexia is an input/output problem, not a CPU problem. Which means that it is an issue with facts, not with ideas.

You state that the OP was talking about processing ideas. I agree, which is why I believe the analogy is flawed. You state that, "When I came out it was an interpretation of new data. The new data was that I am not a freak." You certainly are not a freak, but that is not data. It is an idea, formed within your own mind.

I don't know what causes crossdressing, even in myself, though I have some hypotheses. But I don't think it does any good for crossdressing or dyslexia to falsely conflate the two.

Liz

Miss Maxine
09-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...

NicoleScott
09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Frederique,

A good post should be like a good skirt: short enough to be interesting but long enough to cover the subject.

But.....I read Frederique's posts to the end. I think I might learn something if I do.

Kaitlyn26
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends...

This ish is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S. This ish is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S. This ish is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

:heehee: :p

Kaz
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I hate to say this but you have introduced an epistemologocal debate... information and knowledge... ha ha

Miss Maxine
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
epistemologocal

Isn't that what they call the girly doctors? ^_~

Niya W
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann

Liz

Niya,
I am sorry if I offended you. I try to be very sensitive to issues of "disabilities." One of my brothers is on social security disability for being Bipolar. I have a nephew who is dyslexic and a niece with epilepsy. There was a tragic death in the family directly related to schizophrenia, and I am mildly dyslexic.

I HATE these discussions, but these conditions need to be seen for what they are, and for that they need to be understood, demystified, and not loaded with excess baggage. That death from schizophrenia? His diary was loaded with shame that made my heart break.

Dyslexia concerns the way in which you interact with the outside world. You can have a fine and brilliant mind and be dyslexic, as many have. If you want, you can think of it in a computer analogy. Dyslexia is an input/output problem, not a CPU problem. Which means that it is an issue with facts, not with ideas.

You state that the OP was talking about processing ideas. I agree, which is why I believe the analogy is flawed. You state that, "When I came out it was an interpretation of new data. The new data was that I am not a freak." You certainly are not a freak, but that is not data. It is an idea, formed within your own mind.

I don't know what causes crossdressing, even in myself, though I have some hypotheses. But I don't think it does any good for crossdressing or dyslexia to falsely conflate the two.

Liz
My dyslexic and they way I interact is different than yours. So in my opinion I agree with the OP. Whats gets me is when people try and define what I have and how it is. Let me make it clearer . I see people overly sensitive to people with disabilty and I see it skewing things. I wind up feeling like they are telling me how to feel and look at me weird when I don't feel like they think I do. Yes I'm different but not disable.

Kaitlyn26
09-27-2011, 01:02 PM
My dyslexic and they way I interact is different than yours. So in my opinion I agree with the OP. Whats gets me is when people try and define what I have and how it is. Let me make it clearer . I see people overly sensitive to people with disabilty and I see it skewing things. I wind up feeling like they are telling me how to feel and look at me weird when I don't feel like they think I do. Yes I'm different but not disable.

If being dyslexic is disabled, then sign me up. I could use some free money. :heehee: I guess it comes down to your attitude and personality, as to whether or not dyslexia or even bipolar are actual disabilities. Imo, they're not, they're a unique trait and life challenge. But that's just me. :2c:

Debra Russell
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I jsut like to ware wmoans colthes.............Debra

Niya W
09-27-2011, 02:38 PM
If being dyslexic is disabled, then sign me up. I could use some free money. :heehee: I guess it comes down to your attitude and personality, as to whether or not dyslexia or even bipolar are actual disabilities. Imo, they're not, they're a unique trait and life challenge. But that's just me. :2c:
bi polar can get you ssdi .put bi polar and dyslexia are not my only issues.

WTF did they have to pick such a difficult word to spell to describe people who can't spell. Onkly thing worse is if they picked a French spelling for the word .

Kaitlyn26
09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
I had no idea you were bipolar. I was referring to someone else that posted earlier in the thread. I have no idea why they chose the word dyslexia to describe it, but I use firefox for web browsing and the spell checker plugin really helps me.

Frédérique
09-28-2011, 09:42 AM
I’m pleased by the many responses. I just want to add one more thing...

I don't wish to get into an epistemological debate, but there is a difference between ideas and information. In this context, the important distinction is that information comes from external stimuli, while ideas reside within one's own mind. "Processing" is very different for these two. I am not quite sure what you intend by "the idea of being a male," but to suggest crossdressing as a solution implies that it is a problem of expression rather than interpretation of new information.

I’m glad you found something worth writing about, or worth commenting on. Based on your post, quoted above, I wish to state that the OP for this thread should be seen as a kind of word exercise, one where I’m trying to bend (or fold) the word “dyslexia” into the condition, or origins, of the desire to crossdress. A discussion about traditional dyslexia, or the type of dyslexia that many may be familiar with, was not my intention – this is not the correct forum for the latter...

In my profession, namely that of a visual artist, you “see” similarities between things all the time – this leads me to make (or attempt to make) connections between words or concepts that may not be apparent to some. Since “lexi-“ refers to words, or language, I’m trying to get across an idea via comparisons, using different meanings for the word “read,” within the context of gender issues. To read means to “Get the meaning of something by interpreting its characters or signs,” or “To learn the true meaning of, or understand as having a particular meaning.”

If you READ between the lines, and forego a rigid assessment of my words, you may see what I’m getting at. I do not understand the true meaning of masculinity, nor am I capable of such understanding, since I cannot “read” anything meaningful in it. Therefore, I am a type of dyslexic, since I crossdress to get around masculinity – my CD’ing represents a solution to the “problem” of my inability to assimilate a masculine role. However, I think this is a GOOD thing, and not a bad thing, as the prefix “dys-“ presupposes...
:straightface:

lalajulep
09-28-2011, 11:43 AM
The issue with America is that we like to medicalize and study everything that deviates from the patriarchal normality. WHY do we have to study tranvestites and have to have some psychological explanation for why a male wants to wear a dress in order to accept that person as a human?

"Masculinity", you should know, is a bogus term that only relies on being male and acting in that manner. "Femininity", on the same example, is just as ludicrous and relates to how "female" one can be. The only real difference is you can easily buy femininity by putting on make-up or a wig and even a male can be feminine. Masculinity, because it's been protected as a "natural" idea, is less about putting on exterior dressings and more about others perceptions of you and how tough you are.

I also believe you're confusing dyslexia with confusion. It is impossible to have dyslexia when it comes to one specific form of knowledge, it needs to be applicable with all forms of understanding and comprehension WHEN IT COMES TO READING. I think you just have issues with the cultural perceptions of gender, like most people on this forum do. You might also have gender dysphoria, but I doubt it.

Anne2345
09-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I REALLY need a hug...

It is my pleasure . . . . .

:bighug: