PDA

View Full Version : Speaking engagement

Teri Jean
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Each year our American legion Post hosts the Pheasents for Hospitalized Veterans and the fundraiser has been greatly recieved by the community as well as the veterans. This year I was contacted again to support the evening which I did not even giving it a second thought as I filled out the response card and including the check.

The person heading up the fundraiser has been doing it since it was first conceived and he has been a friend who helped me move through the chairs and leadership to the district level. He asked if I would be willing to speak to the guests what it is to be transgendered, giving me 15 minute of time. Now that is not much time but it is an opening in a very special group of people.

I know there will be those who would say; are you ****ing crazy(?) and you do know they are setting you up for failure, and of course there is going to be a hundred plus people drinking alcohol in a confined space. I realized the pitfalls but these are veterans that I worked with and lead as a Sgt-at-Arms as well a commander. So it is full steam ahead and damn the torpedos. Okay, I served in the Navy. A friend of mine served twenty years in the Army and has a lot of experience in public speaking as well, she has offered to help me develope the presentation and she is going as my guest.

I will give an update as this will happen on the 16th of October.

Longing2be-Trisha
09-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Teri That is great news!

Hugs

SusanLCD
09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Teri, That is a phenomenal opportunity! So much to whittle down to only 15 minutes. But, if you set your goals for the speach well, you may influence a great many listeners. You will not likely convert their thinking about transgenders, in general. But, you may win their respect and, if so, open their minds.

You go, girl.

RADER
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Teri:
I also am a Past Post Commander, and a Past District (#10) Commander in Illinois.
I am currently the Finance Officer for the district. I am often asked to give speeches on the
behalf of the district and the Post. I have never given one on CD ing, although no one knows
of my CD ing other than my wife, as I do not go out.
I am also X Navy Sea-Bees.
God luck and let us know what kind of response you get, and how big the attendance.
Rader

PS: Also Quartermaster for the VFW.... LOL

Debb
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Teri, you are very well-spoken and I'm sure the presentation will go wonderfully. I'd have a hard time coming up with anyone to do a better job.

Katesback
09-26-2011, 08:52 PM
I used to do this stuff for the health department but then I was paid well. Today you could not pay me enough money to do that again and anyone who is not being paid is nuts unless they are a bonified tranny and then of couse it makes sense for them to go in front of people and try to convince them to be..........whats the word............accepting (otherwise put tolerating).

Debglam
09-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Good for you shipmate!

Starling
09-27-2011, 02:22 AM
When you're speaking to a large crowd, Teri, fifteen minutes can be an eternity. I'd be more concerned if they offered 90 minutes! Besides, I imagine you'll get a lot of questions when you mingle afterward.

:) Lallie

noeleena
09-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi,

I had more time than that an hour 1 / 1 /2 , for two groups women only & then both women & men , heck 15 min.s .

Still can be done come up with the right detail & you'll be good . all the best,

...noeleena...

SusanMarie
09-27-2011, 06:22 PM
:yrtw:
seriously, you have the right stuff, you will be great.

abigailf
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Yea, it is good you only have 15 minutes. Allow your content to fill the time and don't leave room for questions. If anyone asks a question, politely point out that as you only have 15 minutes, you will answer all questions at the end.

Jay Cee
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Good luck, Teri. Congrats to you for seizing a great opportunity to educate others about what transexuals face in every day life.

Rianna Humble
09-28-2011, 04:49 PM
The person heading up the fundraiser has been doing it since it was first conceived and he has been a friend who helped me move through the chairs and leadership to the district level. He asked if I would be willing to speak to the guests what it is to be transgendered, giving me 15 minute of time. Now that is not much time but it is an opening in a very special group of people.
Good for you, Terri, I can't think of anyone who would do such a good job as I am sure you will.

Today you could not pay me enough money to do that

Phew!

ReneeT
09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Good luck, Terri! You have a lot of guts- more than i have! You will be a great ambassador for our community!

Kates moronic response needs no further comment. Henceforh i will skip over any comment from her without reading. I hope she gets help someday

Teri Jean
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Ladies, Kate has her views and let us be fair. I did get the speech trimmed down to 15 minutes and have a sister that is flying my wing so to speak. Brenda has 27 yrs in and retired plus she wanted to be there for the evening with me. I have really no problem doing a presentation for the vets but there will be a couple hours of socializing (booze) before hand, so the question in my mind is how much are they going to remember the next day (?).

The positive side of this is, I do need to paint the house. LOL. Really though if I was asked to give an hour presentation it would be much easier. I have done a few class presentations for the university I work for, yes I was paid (my normal wages), and the time was comfortable and the students enjoyed the effort.

I am sure everything will go well, afterall my picture is on the wall with the other Past Commanders. Ttyl and thanks again. Kate I love you dear. Hugs (-:

Teri Jean

Teri Jean
10-03-2011, 05:10 PM
A quick question, should I wear the LBD or the red one? Maybe the skirt and jacket? Damn to many outfits to choose from. Definately have to be wearing heels. Yep that should swing the heads. ROTF LMAO

Teri

Teri Jean
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Well ladies it finally happened, the portion of the program that was set aside for my presentation has been cancelled. I received a call this morning, 29 hours before I was to be speaking, telling me the idea had reached a few others that are on the board and it was pulled. Now two things have happened, one is they finally lost their balls and any resemblence of backbone, two is they pissed off the one bitch that can make them look more foolish than they know. Of course I am not only going there for the banquet but I am making a point to speak to as many of the participants. Subversion has never been so sweet. They wonder why we may hate the past so much? Well this is just one of the reasons why I never fit in.

I have more balls than they do and the last I seen mine was in May in California. Damn it all. Sorry Mods.

Rianna Humble
10-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi Teri Jean, I'm sorry that they have done this to you, but looking on the bright side at least you won't now be condemned to the fate that Kate had predicted for you of becoming an eternal pre-op

Starling
10-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Teri, have a wonderful time and kick ass.

AllieSF
10-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I like your fighting attitude. Just make sure you picked the right fight. Other than that, a cute pic of a beautiful lady in a terrific dress would be nice to see. Remember, eat slowly, chew with your mouth closed and have a ball.

kellycan27
10-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Well ladies it finally happened, the portion of the program that was set aside for my presentation has been cancelled. I received a call this morning, 29 hours before I was to be speaking, telling me the idea had reached a few others that are on the board and it was pulled. Now two things have happened, one is they finally lost their balls and any resemblence of backbone, two is they pissed off the one bitch that can make them look more foolish than they know. Of course I am not only going there for the banquet but I am making a point to speak to as many of the participants. Subversion has never been so sweet. They wonder why we may hate the past so much? Well this is just one of the reasons why I never fit in.

I have more balls than they do and the last I seen mine was in May in California. Damn it all. Sorry Mods.

The funny thing about your statement is that i agree.. I have a lot bigger stones post than I ever did when I was pretending to be a boy.:battingeyelashes:

Starling
10-15-2011, 03:40 PM
I think that's because you've got both feet planted now, Kelly. You're not always having to throw off balance.

Longing2be-Trisha
10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Terri that is so sad they are so narrow minded. I would not want to be them now that the fire is lit.

Hugs

Teri Jean
10-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you ladies, there is a line out of the movie Independence Day that seems fitting for tomorrow. If you have seen the movie you will recognize this; "Let's kick the tires and light the fires". Being an engine mechanic while in the Navy that was so appropriate then and is tomorrow. Another is fly with the sunny side up and the dirty side down with your wings on the horizon. The point is Trisha is so right in that they have lit the fire and they now need to be careful not to get burned. My friend Brenda is flying my wing and she is of the same mindset, you have pissed off the girl this time.

Kelly, the fact is it takes more nads to be without than it does to hang onto them. Now which dress or outfit do I wear? To you all I want to say thank you one more time. I will be ttyl and until then, smooth seas and fair winds.

Debb
10-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Teri, I say LBD. Keep it simple for these simple-minded folks who don't want to hear from you.

I'm glad you wrote this update, although saddened that your speech won't be happening. I was just thinking last night, "I wonder how Teri's doing with that speech"...

Stephenie S
10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
LBD has my vote too.

Starling
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Yeah, either that or full leathers!

:heehee: Lallie

Teri Jean
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Well Brenda and I went to the banquet and had a nice evening even though there was not an opportunity to speak. The one thing we were able to do was probably more usefull by just being there than trying to reach them through the presentation. I had so many people come up and talk to us as the evening progressed and maybe that was better. I know a couple have changed their outwardly opinion as they called since that evening. I do think we are our best embassadors and we can change people's opinion by being visible, not hiding.

Tomorrow I have a class presentation with college seniors who are studing to be HR personel. I did this class last year and it is time to do it again. Thank you all for your support and observations.

Teri

"Mary"
10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Way to go Teri. I'm sure you were charming. Thanks for sharing how this all unfolded.