PDA

View Full Version : $%#@*^% Credit reports after transition.

Zenith
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
So I had changed my name legally, with Social Security (verified), and with current creditors. Then applied for a Care Credit card. The app was kicked back immediately. Online credit score reports also kicked back an error.

Went through annualcreditreport (the government approved website). Equifax and Experian kicked it back. Getting worried. Transunion actually processed it but it came back with the old name. The report was accurate otherwise.

I have an excellent credit history and would like to preserve it. The representative told me I have to contact all previous creditors (even closed accounts) and change the name with each of them. Is this correct?

My other option would be to send a letter similar to a marriage name change requesting one simple name change with each of the credit reporting agencies themselves. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks.

(Note to Mods...if you feel this is not a relevant transition issue, please move it to Safe Haven "Issues and Concerns"...thanks)

CharleneT
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know the answer, you may have to find a lawyer with experience in credit issues. Although I have applied for, and gotten new credit lines since my name change, I have not investigated what my credit history looks like. Basically fearful of finding it all in my old name.

Kaitlyn Michele
09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
this happened to me too...

i have a couple credit cards under kaitlyn... my reports still say AKA..."old name".. i was told its an agency by agency process and it takes time...so far i havent done it..and i just keep my credit clean...

MJ
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
And here in canada i have the same issue going to see our credit Bureau next month to try and sort out my mess. when i find out some information i'll let you know

Traci Elizabeth
09-28-2011, 03:22 PM
If they linked your old credit history with your current name you are lucky. I applied for two different cards and mine were rejected immediately stating and I quote, "Denied, NO credit history."

Zenith
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Being yourself is a joy. Transition occilates between misery and plain old pain in the ass...

Kaitlyn Michele
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
:hugs: so true...

Sarah Welch
09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
The credit reporting industry is so unfair to everyone and needs to be overhauled. If you ever have been a victim of identity theft you will know what I mean. It took nearly 3 years of constant aggravation to clear up something that I didn't even cause and was detrimental to almost every aspect of my life