PDA

View Full Version : A New First For Me

Persephone
09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
In my women's social group each woman has to take a turn at putting together our monthly restaurant dinner meeting. That includes deciding on a restaurant that can accommodate our group of about 25 women, making the arrangements with the restaurant, preparing the newsletter announcement, gathering the reservations, etc.

It's my turn! I decided I would go to the restaurant in person to make the arrangements since I'm more presentable in person that I am over the phone. So yesterday my spouse and I (en femme of course!) headed out to the restaurant I had selected.

We had lunch and met with the manager and one of her staff members. They were very pleased that I had selected their restaurant. We discussed the various details, the space, the table arrangements, the fact that we'll want separate checks, and so on. On the issue of separate checks we all giggled together on how important that always is to a women's group.

There was never the slightest indication that I was "read." As we left the manager called out, "Have a great day, girls!"

I love my life!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Anne2345
09-29-2011, 02:27 PM
What a fantastic, feel-good story! Very well done, and thank you for sharing! :)

Kathi Lake
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Barara, if you are ever read by anyone, it will be as a wonderful, happy woman.

:)

Kathi

*Vanessa*
09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
How brilliant Persephone - yes please tell us more of your group.

kimdl93
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Barb, Its always fun and so encouraging to read about one of us successfully integrating with the real world. Thanks for sharing!

Persephone
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Since I've had a few requests for more about my group.

Let's see, about 2-1/2 or 3 years ago I was at a meeting of my congregation's women's auxiliary. I really don't recall if I was en femme at that point (I now attend all auxiliary meetings en femme) or if I was still trying to get by in androgyny.

Anyway, I met a woman and we started talking. We seemed to hit it off and be very comfortable with each other. She asked me something about myself and, for some reason, I decided to tell her about my transgender status. She asked me a number of questions. It turned out she was the Chairlady of her own women's group of around 40 members and she invited me and my spouse to join!

The group has a restaurant dinner meeting every month and at least one additional event every month. For example, one month one of the ladies arranged for an art tour of the Los Angeles subway, complete with a docent/tour guide. Another time we took the train to Santa Barbara for shopping and lunch (on that trip a very delightful gentleman who was dining at another table came by to say "Hi" to our group of "lovely ladies." He was Jonathan Winters!). One evening we saw "The Merry Wives of Windsor" at a local playhouse. Each event is arranged by one of the members.

Some of the group know my history, mostly because the Chairlady mentioned it to them before she knew that wasn't a good idea. Two of the women seem to have been upset by it. There was a pajama party one night and I was all ready to attend when I got a call from the Chairlady saying that one of the members had objected to my being there. She had emailed the Chairlady and referred to me as "that thing." I didn't go, and I have to tell you that I was really very hurt. Slowly now I'm attempting to get that woman to accept me. Guess we'll see at next year's pajama party (that event is an annual custom in the group)

There was one other woman who objected to my being there and the Chairlady simply tossed her out of the group!

Many of the women do not know and I'm just one of the girls.

Both my spouse and I usually attend the dinners and events. The general story is that we are sister-in-laws, with her being married to my twin brother. Women who meet us for the first time generally comment on how lovely it is that we get along well together. We make it a habit of not sitting together and of each paying our own bills. That way we each get to talk to others and we don't look like "a couple."

We've become quite friendly with the Chairlady and with others in her immediate circle. We often go shopping and to other events with that "inner circle," with me en femme of course.

One thing that did happen recently was that we went somewhere with the Chairlady and two women who we'd never met before. One of them was sitting in the back with my spouse and I and happened to ask us which congregations we belonged to. Well, my spouse and her husband (my "brother") happen to be members of one congregation while I'm a member of another. When I told her which one I was in she said, "Oh! I know someone there!"

It turned out that her cousin was not only a member, he is my guy self's best friend! Could have been quite an "Oooops" if he didn't already know about me!

That may be more detail than anyone cares to have, but a few girls did ask!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Toni Citara
10-01-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm amazed at the connections we all have with others not in our "circle" and am quite certain eventually some past master will realize his potential.

Cynthia Anne
10-01-2011, 08:31 AM
When things start looking down along comes a nice story such as yours that is so uplifting! Thank you for sharing! Hugs!

*Vanessa*
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for sharing - was a nice 'short' story.
Sweet game of sister in-law as well :)

Momarie
10-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Please remember to tip your servers well.

Everything on separate tickets can be very "confusing" for patrons when it comes time to tip.

Tina B.
10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Persephone, anyone that brings 25 people into there restaurant, and doesn't get treated like a queen, does not deserve the business. I hope your lunch goes great.
Tina B.