PDA

View Full Version : Girls spend more money than guys

Kim Young
10-02-2011, 12:54 AM
I've been keeping track of my spending on girl stuff as well as my other personal spending. Kim has been outspending her male self for the past two months. Not coincidentally that's precisely when I started going shopping en femme. While I don't have any pictures of myself shopping which by the CD rulebook means it never happened, sadly I am unable to convince American Express of the validity of that rule. I still have to pay my bill.:sad:

So just doing my own study from my own personal spending, I can attest to the fact that girls spend more money than guys. My male self just isn't much of a shopper.

Is anyone else seeing this pattern in themselves?

DebbieL
10-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Not all that surprising really. GGs typically spend more on clothes than men do as well.

For me, shopping as a man for men's clothes is pretty much a non-event. Go to a store, look for pants, then look for waistline, then pick the color, usually black, dark blue, or one of 3 shades of brown. Dress shirts, go to the shelf with the plastic wrapped shirts, find the neck size I need, then pick from the available colors.

Shopping for Women's clothes - a whole different kind of adventure. Walk through the shop, look for a style I like, see if they have it in my size. Every rack has 4-5 different styles and there may be 20-30 racks just in the area that caters to PLUS Sizes. Now that I'm down to a size 16, I have hundreds more styles to choose from.

Then I have to see what I want to try on, but I'm limited to around 6-8 items at a time. During try on, look for what doesn't work at all, and keep the ones I like. For best results bring a combination of blouses or tops and skirts or slacks. Repeat process for 2-3 hours in several stores, buying a minimum of 2 items in each store.

For best results and values, take a "quick tour" of the whole mall, looking without stopping. Note which stores have the best prices for the styles you like best and are most likely to fit. This way you don't end up spending premium prices at the high end store, only to find out that one of the smaller stores has something very similar for 70% less.

With all those choices, it's very easy to find lots of different styles you love, in nearly everything, from shoes, to hose, to skirts to blouses to wigs.
And we haven't even started to discuss underwear yet. Men's underwear is typically 1-2 racks. Women's Lingerie can be 30 racks or more.

Keely
10-02-2011, 02:03 AM
My main expenditures are Keely stuff and computer gear. I think Keely is winning :doh:

Kaitlyn26
10-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Look at what men have to buy. :rofl: Doesn't really make me want to go shopping.

Kathy4ever
10-02-2011, 04:27 AM
I agree. Kathy has been spending about 50 to 60 a weak. The male version has spent exactly 0. Kathy is a very wanting girl. If she had the money she would probable double that. it is more fun spending on Kathy. She will actually wear what I buy her since she is the one who picked it out. I'm really in to the Lilac and plum colors now. The fabrics are to die for.

Cally
10-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Funny. I was just thinking the same thing... Cally is certainly indulging in some retail therapy lately, although in reply, her male version has expensive tastes in shoes and is looking for some new ones. Luckily he only buys one pair every 18 months. :-)

I agree. Male shopping can be somewhat mechanical and prescriptive, but I suspect Cally won't let that persist for ever.

So methinks I will need to keep working for some time yet to enjoy this wonderfull life.

noeleena
10-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Hi,

Depends if you make you own clothes so buying cloth & fabirc can be a lot cheeper, & of cause second hand is a plus tho i wont buy some thing thats not good quality , mind you i have to budget so that makes a difference no booking up .

Oh did you say male clothes , none here well i dont buy them not now,

...noeleena...

leotard fan
10-02-2011, 07:30 AM
well... spend money in what? of corse, girls and me have needs that men dont have, like have good things to dress...

Sharon B.
10-02-2011, 07:50 AM
As Sharon I have seen myself buying more for her than I spend on my male self in two years or more.

KarenS
10-02-2011, 07:55 AM
My situation is similar to Keely;
My main expenditures are Keely stuff and computer gear. I think Keely is winning :doh:

As for my male clothes, I hate shopping for them, especially shoes. I would rather find myself going to the women's department any day - even preferred over the computer stuff. I have spent more in the last year on Karen'as stuff than the drab stuff for sure.

Tina B.
10-02-2011, 07:58 AM
I would agree if we are only talking about clothes, but all that other stuff, he spends more.
Tina B.

Cynthia Anne
10-02-2011, 08:01 AM
Cynthia pays all the bills, does all the shopping and buys herself what she needs and wants! I could live sooo much cheaper without her! But then I wouldn't be happy! Hugs!

Sophie_C
10-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Look at what men have to buy. :rofl: Doesn't really make me want to go shopping.

Love it! :rofl: Never truer words have been spoken! :rofl:

S. Lisa Smith
10-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I still spend more on surfboards and guns, but for clothing Lisa wins hands down!! I love jewelry!

jillleanne
10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Without a doubt I spend more on femme things, not counting toys for us, i.e., snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, etc. Let's see he wears black, grey, or brown and I wear, well, let's just say, a few more colors than him. He doesn't wear undies and I wear ever style/color in the spectrum. He wears 3 pair of shoes and I wear 60 maybe? He never wears makeup and I think I own a Revlon store. Yep, I'd say I spend more on personal items than him. Of course, when it comes to toys( naughty naughty, stop thinking that way) I let him do the buying as he can always get a better price than me.

KrystalA
10-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Krystal definitely has the corner on spending where clothes are concerned. I've probably spent more on femme clothes in the past two years than I've spent on drab clothes my entire life.

PretzelGirl
10-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Tina makes a good point. I don't think that it would be uncommon to say that "he" has clothes and toys and "she" has only clothes (unless you count jewelry as toys :D). Although that may not apply to all.

But there are many reasons to spend more as her. Shopping for her is more fun. Maybe some of us are just starting to get that warddrobe built up due to just starting dressing or just getting to where we can store more clothes. Men's styles aren't as fungible. There is more variance in women's styles.

And I certainly don't go shopping for "him" because it gives me a chance to get out in public in men's clothes. :heehee:

Karren H
10-02-2011, 09:23 AM
You know how much a new hockey stick costs? Lol. I spend over a grand on leagues a year. Just bought a pair of $550 Rebok 9k pump ice hockey skates. And auto parts.... Computer stuff... Nail pullers and vintage tools. Old cameras. Fem clothing and jewelry. I out spend my wife hands down no mater what I'm buying.

Kim Young
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
You know how much a new hockey stick costs?

Look where I live, of course I know how much a hockey stick costs. I just spend over $600 for league fees and equipment that will only fit for 6 months for my 5 year old.

Just bought a pair of $550 Rebok 9k pump ice hockey skates
Funny I get a different picture in my mind now when I think of the Nike air "pumps" and "cross-trainers".