PDA

View Full Version : ...at a decidedly female event (Trend Show at Nordstrom)

Sara Jessica
10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
(editor's note: While there are a couple pictures from this tale, I am choosing to post words instead in the section which receives a wider audience rather than the picture section where this would drop like a rock. The pictures are rather plain and would likely garner about 2 comments before disappearing. I felt it was more important to share the story instead.)

A few weeks ago, my friend Diana texted to let me know that her Nordstrom's (annual?) Trend Show was coming up. This is an event I've thought about going to in the past and this time, the stars aligned for me to be able to attend.

I had little thought about what to expect other than the fact I was buying a ticket for something that started at 8:00 a.m. and my guess it that it would be attended nearly 100% by other women. I knew the focus would be on makeup and skin care trends for the upcoming season. That's about it.

So the devil is in the details. I awoke at 4:26 a.m., five minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I had to wash my hair and wanted it to dry sufficiently before flat-ironing it. The family was asleep, as was the puppy who can make such a racket in the morning to upset my planned stealthy getaway. Hair washed, stuff gathered. Pretty much dressed (girl jeans, guy t-shirt...top would be changed on the fly). While blow-drying my hair and racing the clock, I decided to do most of my makeup at home as well rather than try to do it in the car. This of course is dicey given the fact that one of my wonderful sleeping children could awake early at any time. I lucked out that they didn't and with makeup done and hair flat-ironed, I was out the door at about 10 'til 7.

I arrived at the store about 20 minutes before the event. Diana's sisters were there and they had my ticket. Having never met them before, I was sure she had shared a bit about her wacky TG buddy. I was greeted by both of them with absolute grace, neither missed a beat and I was treated simply as a person rather than an oddity, a term I use in a positive sense in that yes, we are somewhat of an oddity to the Muggles out there.

About the line, wow...there had to be over 200 people in line. I'm guessing at least 300 attended the show. The doors opened and we were herded into the store by a little breakfast buffet (coffee, water, muffins, croissants) towards a seating set-up that was like a red carpet catwalk with a stage and video monitors as a back-drop. We sat to the left of the catwalk and this is where it hit me, my circle of comfort is now sitting at about 40 miles. There is no way I could ever ascertain if anyone I know might happen to be here. No time to worry now though, I was pot committed and I relaxed as the event began, only to soon discover that there was to be many raffles of some really great stuff that required a trip up the catwalk to claim the prize. As much as I like winning, I was actually shuddering to think I might have to make that walk. Perhaps in SD or Vegas I'd do so with no problem. Heck, I'd even work it a bit :) but here, I felt it was a little close to home to be in such a fishbowl. Not to worry though, I didn't win although nearly everyone around me did including one of Diana's sisters who won a gorgeous Estee Lauder eyeshadow kit in a beautiful golden compact.

As for the show, it was a really neat event. I took notes on the program about what resonated with me and found myself really getting into the moment. While the whole thing might appear like a contrived marketing event, it really was entertaining and any woman who truly enjoys stuff such as this in order to take care of her skin or to feel more beautiful could easily relate.

During the show, there was a woman sitting next to me. She was older (than me), probably about 60 but I thought she looked much younger. She was dressed casual but not sloppy and her makeup was impeccable. The kind of woman who I doubt ever leaves the house without her face done. And her skin, it was flawless to my eyes and in talking to her throughout the show, it came across how much care she takes when it comes to her skin. She was the initiator in chatting me up the entire time. Did she know of my TG nature? I'd say she was blind & deaf if she didn't but that didn't seem to matter in the least bit. I was treated as part of the team that I should have originally been drafted to and as such, thanks to her, Diana's sisters & the event, the entire experience became a "moment of being" for me.

This is turning into a long tale. I'm going to break it here and continue in another entry.

Alice B
10-02-2011, 10:20 AM
The strength of conviction you have never ceases to amaze me. That is a great story and had to be a lot of fun and I think the nervious part of it only adds to the overall effect. Well done.

marlaNYC
10-02-2011, 10:20 AM
posts like this make me wish there was a 'like' button on the forum, rather than me having to post an unnecessary reply :) (and now i'll probably get told such a thing does exist!).

a well told tale of a great experience!

Sara Jessica
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Part Two....

The show ended at about 9:30 a.m. and the crowd herded towards the makeup counters. We had each been given these really pretty pewter metallic tote bags inside which there were several cards to take to various counters for free products and/or services. One of my first stops was at this hair product section. During the show there was a video demonstration of a spray called "Straight" which when used with a flat iron really tames and sleeks your hair. There were a couple stations set up with stylists and I asked what it took to get in to the chair. The reply? A three item purchase. At $29 for a can of Straight, I didn't really envision sitting down but about a minute later, one of the stylists pretty much seated me in the chair. We talked about my routine and she asked if my hair was wet. I told her it wasn't, that I had already flat-ironed it and used a finishing spray called "Carol's Daughter" which IMHO gives the hair some character, almost a wet look here and there. So while the stylist worked on me anyways, the oil in the product kind of hampered the effect she was trying to achieve. And to my surprise, I found myself buying three items. The flat iron, Straight along with a leave-in conditioning product.

At this point, I still had about an hour and a half until my scheduled makeover with Bobbi Brown so I went out into the mall for a bit. Got back to Nordstrom at about 11:00 and still had some time to kill. Diana's sisters were at the Bobbi counter and were raving about this oxygen peel they got over at Philosophy. I zipped over there and was helped by a really fun woman who removed my makeup and applied the Philosophy skincare regimen. The oxygen peel was amazing and I just love some of their product names, "Hope in a Jar" and my fav, "When Hope is Not Enough" (also known as WHINE). As she was working, she was raving about my skin and how it's clear that I take good care of it. She knows her stuff, just by touch she knew where my problem areas were (not as evident as it might seem). I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, skincare is such an important consideration and is something that is much too ignored in our community. When all was said and done, my skin looked so amazing that I not only walked with my head high in confidence over to Bobbi Brown, I had no issues in having no makeup on while waiting about 10 minutes for an artist to be freed up.

So in the chair at Bobbi, I gave the artist poetic license and she really seemed to have fun. Diana came over to visit and the artist started right in the pronoun department but she soon completely fell apart and the she's/he's came out randomly. But she was trying, that's what counted. After the makeover, I picked up my Bobbi Brown pre-sale order and it was after 1:00 p.m. With no other plans and knowing the family was out until about 6:00 or so, I headed towards home, stopping at my boutique beforehand where I discovered that my buddy Joanna would be leaving soon (again). Seems she has another job that will be taking her Saturday's which is the only day she works at the boutique. Sad as I am, I do recognize the fate that brought me to the store on that day.

From there it was homeward bound, happy to be doing so without having to take the girl off on the road, such a rare treat. All in all it was a very unique day, some fun and different experiences that I'm sure I'll treasure along with so many other "moments of being" that happily reside in my memory.

TGMarla
10-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Most excellent for you! What an experience!

Sara....with such care needed to get out of the house, what cares to you need to attend to to get back into the house? I mean...you're all made up and such....

PretzelGirl
10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Now this sounds like one of those high point events for you. Not just going to a counter that you enjoy so much, but a show itself. Maybe those will become addictive too? It is great Diana and her sisters were along also (tell Diana I said Hi!). That sounds like a day that just wasn't long enough.

Amanda22
10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for posting all the wonderful details. Congratulations on doing everything you wanted to do, and being so down to earth. What an awesome story.

Sara Jessica
10-02-2011, 02:27 PM
As I was getting the oxygen peel, the SA said to me "your brows are such a perfect size and shape, don't even think about going any thinner". This of course made me very happy as I just had them waxed on Friday evening and at the same time it was quite validating. I know my brows cross the line, at least a bit, but hearing that was wonderful and something I meant to share in the original story.

Also, one of the other things that I observed was what the other women were wearing. Being new to an event like this, I certainly didn't want to overdress the part. I pretty much wore the outfit in my avatar, same top, different jeans, with my Brighton flip flops which have a little 1" heel. And the makeup was light as well. Call the look "8:00 a.m. chic" and I definitely was not overdressed. I'd say maybe 5% of the women who weren't working glammed it up a bit. One who was getting a makeover near where I was getting mine was in such a gorgeous casual-chic mode, jeans with a cute top, an awesome handbag which had some gold in it, and these to-die-for strappy heels that looked perfect on her (and would have on me as well ;) ). Made me wish I had thrown some heels in to my casual look. Oh well, next time.

The strength of conviction you have never ceases to amaze me. That is a great story and had to be a lot of fun and I think the nervious part of it only adds to the overall effect. Well done.

Yeah, nervous isn't so much a part of my vocabulary. And it wasn't nervous, per se. Rather, it was like "don't call my name, don't call my name" running through my mind over and over again.

Sara....with such care needed to get out of the house, what cares to you need to attend to to get back into the house? I mean...you're all made up and such....

Great question Marla. Let's see, sunglasses hide the eyes. My foundation is usually pretty light so that's not really an issue. Not a ton of blush either so if anyone could perceive that through a car window, more power to them. Then my lip color was "crystal pink" if I remember correct and by this time it had pretty much worn off. Breasts sitting on the seat next to me (I guess that's one advantage of removable forms) and the t-shirt over my top and walla, I'm in the garage and close the door before I get out of the car. Heck, didn't even have to change my shoes!

Now this sounds like one of those high point events for you. Not just going to a counter that you enjoy so much, but a show itself. Maybe those will become addictive too? It is great Diana and her sisters were along also (tell Diana I said Hi!). That sounds like a day that just wasn't long enough.

I could see doing this again. As for the day, I could have made it go on as long as I wanted but because I didn't really have any plans afterwards, going home started to sound good. Not a hard decision when I learned I wouldn't have to change out on the fly.

And yes, I will say hello to Diana for you :).

Thanks for posting all the wonderful details. Congratulations on doing everything you wanted to do, and being so down to earth. What an awesome story.

Glad you liked the story Amanda!!! :)

Debra Russell
10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
What a great expierence! maybe some day......................Debra

docrobbysherry
10-02-2011, 11:34 PM
What a wonderful experience for u, Sara! I'm glad it worked out so well!

And, thanks for sharing it with us. Most of us closet denizens can only dream about such girlie experiences. Maybe your tale will help a few of us to follow your brave lead?

Kathi Lake
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Your posts never fail to amaze me, Sara. I always enjoy all of the little details you add in, like people's responses to you, your inner thoughts, and more. I love it!

I'm sorry your friend is moving away from your favorite boutique. I do know how it feels to lose a valuable advocate and friend, but I'm sure you'll manage to impress the others in the shop with your grace and attitude.

While I haven't tried WHINE yet, I am now on my third jar of Hope in a Jar. I love this stuff! I have gotten so many compliments on my skin lately, and much of it I attribute to this wonderful moisturizer.

While you were describing your feelings on the raffle, I was thinking about my little fiasco with the White House | Black Market contest. I also was thinking "Oh please don't let me win!" while at the same time thinking, "Wouldn't it be fun to win?" Weren't you also thinking that winning might not be so bad?

By the way, I thought I heard the term 'pictures' somewhere in this thread, but other than your lovely avatar pic, I don't seem to see any. Care to explain?

:)

Kathi