PDA

View Full Version : Fun night of shopping + observations (long post)

Amanda22
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Yesterday, my wife was out of town, and on her way out of the house, she said I really should have a night out on my own. Music to my ears, of course! She's so great! :love:

Late afternoon, I dressed in my cream, three-quarter sleeved cowl neck top, super-cute plaid skirt, grey microfiber tights, and adorable red flats. Of course, I added nice jewelry and everything else (hair, makeup, perfume).

My first stop was Talbots. I've been there en homme months ago, and I was hoping the same sales associates would be there to see the real me. Unfortunately, the SA was someone I've not met, but she was courteous and gave me a free shipping coupon. However, the store was just dead and depressing. It was the most boring collection of apparel I think I've ever seen. I may have been there 10 minutes, thanked the SA, and left. I always park far from the door, so I enjoyed the walk to my MINI Cooper past other shoppers. It felt so good to feel the fall air blow my hair.

My next stop was Coldwater Creek. As I've said before, I love CWC. Again, I parked at the opposite end of "apparel row" so I'd get a lot of exposure. A group of teenage girls sitting at a window table of a taco joint almost gave themselves whiplash turning their heads to look at me walking by. Was it so obvious I'm a guy? Did I look good? Who knows?

As I stepped into CWC, the sales associate shouted, "Hello!" in such a welcoming manner that it was obvious they really were pleased I was there! The SA was just lovely, asking my name, telling me she'd help me during my visit, and start a fitting room for me. She and the other SA were just the best! Other women shoppers didn't bat an eyelash. I truly belonged there and acted the part, of course :heehee: My SA complimented me on my "cute outfit." I loved that she did this right in the middle of the store, and not at all discreetly! That's the way I want it! Yay for her! I was so happy, because it's exactly like a real girl would be complimented. I thanked her and she was so pleased. I purchased a patterned black and white skirt and camisole.

Before going home, I stopped at a very nice restaurant for a small meal and a drink. I sat in the bar and had an uneventful time, then left for home.

A few observations:

o Looking good gives me so much confidence. I dress very appropriately for my age, season, and setting. When I put together an outfit where everything just clicks, I know I look good. Also, I'm getting pretty good with makeup. So feeling like I look good gives me a lot of confidence.

o It's really helpful to walk past storefronts and monitor my posture and gait reflecting in the glass windows.

o You've got to have a skin that is a little thick. It isn't easy feeling like I'm being stared at, but I tell myself, "I'm not going away, so get used to it everyone" and "Yeah, I look good, so thank you for noticing." I have no idea what people are really thinking, but I can control my perception, right??

o Get out there and do everything you want to do as a woman. The only thing stopping us is ourselves. What is a sales associate going to do when we shop? Tell us to leave? Hit the silent alarm button? I mean, really! No one cares!

o By far (and I mean far!), women LOVE it that I emulate them. Take my word for this. I get so many smiles and approving looks.

o Dining out as alone as a woman is always going to garner attention. Being 6'3" amplifies that, of course! It's OK, though. The hostess at the restaurant asked, "May I help you?" when I walked up to her station. Mind you, I smiled and said "Hi." I thought it was an odd greeting. I thought about asking where I should pull my car for an oil change. I said, "Dinner for one, please." She took care of me from there. Walking to the bar area, lots of heads turned. Oh well, I'm tall. Get used to it, people.

Thanks for reading this novella. Sorry for the length!

Love,
Mandy

PretzelGirl
10-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Sounds like another awesome day Mandy! I do love it when the SAs come right to us. There is no doubt you are getting their unconditional support and it makes it a bit easier.

o You've got to have a skin that is a little thick. It isn't easy feeling like I'm being stared at, but I tell myself, "I'm not going away, so get used to it everyone" and "Yeah, I look good, so thank you for noticing." I have no idea what people are really thinking, but I can control my perception, right??

I always try and remember that I stare at people too. It is just one of those things many people do, check out those around them. And you know what? I laugh while walking around when I hear jokes and think of something funny. It isn't about the people I am around. So as you say, we shouldn't be sensitive to those around us as we are interpreting what probably isn't true.

Sara Jessica
10-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Love your tale Mandy and your writing style. I always enjoy seeing posts such as this where we find ourselves firmly entrenched in the Muggles world, doing what they do. I love that you hold your head up high, I love your style (flats are often a terrific choice when height is an issue...and they can be so darned cute :) ) and most of all, I appreciate that you seem to be such a good ambassador for our community. Some of us measure activism one person at a time. I'm sure you contributed positively towards creating good attitudes, or even changing poor ones.

I always park far from the door, so I enjoyed the walk to my MINI Cooper past other shoppers. It felt so good to feel the fall air blow my hair.

MINI Cooper...jeesh, could you pick any more girly of a car ;)!!! Let me guess, pink with Hello Kitty painted on the roof!

Debra Russell
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
"but I can control my perception, right??"

Yes with a little help from your friends---sometimes I guess you just have to do it.....................Debra

Jenniferathome
10-02-2011, 04:52 PM
You rock Mandy! Confidence is everything. I'm not there yet, but getting closer:-)

mayGG
10-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Good for you. When I go out with my SO, Joan-cd we are fortunate that she is not really noticed. I think her height of 5'6" may ave a lot to do with it. She also dresses to blend in so I guess we have been fortunate

Donna1
10-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Mandy your awesome girl!!!!!

Amanda22
10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
MINI Cooper...jeesh, could you pick any more girly of a car ;)!!! Let me guess, pink with Hello Kitty painted on the roof!

It's bright blue with black top. But now you've got me thinking... A Hello Kitty decal here or there would make an already girly car even girlier. Thanks!

kimdl93
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Mandy, I think your observations are right on. If one has confidence, selects outfits that are appropriate to the setting and has both a tough skin and sense of humor, getting out can be very enjoyable. I also agree that women, by and large, respond so positively - I often feel like I'm being welcomed among them.

Kathi Lake
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Mandy, what an awesome time you had! Is it any wonder that shopping is addictive? :)

I agree that Talbots stuff this season is a little, . . . lacking. I went there Friday with my wife (shopping for her, of course), and was kind of 'eh' on much of it. The leather skirt looked cute, but after seeing the $200.00 price tag, the cute factor was a bit diminished. Their emphasis on sweaters would have been nice, if most of their sweaters weren't just a little too odd. Did you see the poncho sweater? I could understand if it was the length of a poncho, but stopping at elbow-length?! That's just odd! As it was, we did get a pair of pants and a sweater, so it wasn't a lost trip.

By the way, you deserve every shred of confidence you have. Why? Simple. You are beautiful. Your smile shows the world that you take yourself seriously, and this isn't a joke to you, but simply you being you. Keep enjoying this wonderful life that you have.

:)

Kathi

Cynthia Anne
10-03-2011, 07:12 PM
That's a beautiful story Amanda! I have to agree Kathi! A smile like you have will move mountains! Hugs!