PDA

View Full Version : The darn pickle jar

Nicki S
10-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Thinking back about a year and a half ago or so, I seem to remember reading that one of my more advanced HRT sisters here on the forum, comment about having issues with opening up a pickle jar. As I read that, I thought to myself, is she for real? How could this be such a task for somebody that has had testosterone poisoning in their body?

So last night after arriving home from some friends, I had the munchies. I decided to snacked on some tuna salad and wanted a pickle to go with it. Well low and behold, I had to eat my own words, or thoughts rather. I had one heck of a time opening up that darn pickle jar! After a short struggle, I did prevail and was rewarded with a yummy pickle. But I now know exactly what you girls were speaking of. My once very strong arms are becoming feminized with HRT also.

Just had to share my thought. Have a great day!!

Nicole

StaceyJane
10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I guess I'm lucky then that I was never good at opening jars.

Bree-asaurus
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah... it's annoying right?!

I'm getting in the habit now to just make guys do things for me that require more strength :P

I'll still try myself, but when it comes to carrying heavy things, I just default to "can you carry this for me?" :D muahahaha

Jorja
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Be careful opening that pickel jar. You never know what will pop out.:heehee:

JohnH
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Simply bang the lid with the handle of a table knife while holding the blade. That loosens the lid enough so it will come off easily.

Johanna

DonnaLynn77
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I too, never thought this would happen to me. But, the other day in grocery store I noticed it was difficult picking up a big 24 pack of soda and putting it in my cart.

While not being able to perform some tasks as easily does seem like a disadvantage, I can't wait to lose some of this bulky muscle! Bleah haha!

Niya W
10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm kind of your IT handy man. I work on printers . Not those cute ones at home , but the kind that prints 100 ppm. The kind that fax, copy,staple and use key card or thumb reader . The kind you have to put gather in 50 pound sections. My god, what ******* decided it was good idea to ship a fully assembled copier(110 pounds) NOT ON ITS FREAKING BASE. Lets say I've had few issues lifting .

DeeDee1974
10-04-2011, 12:12 PM
The only sport I was ever decent at was golf, buy with hrt this has all changed. I used to think if I could only play from the ladies tees I could be on the LPGA tour. I have learned my lesson. I played for the first time in 2 years this summer and my drives are about half of what they used to be even off of the ladies tees. My breasts completely changed my swing and I cant hit it straight anymore. In the end I'd rather be a woman than good at golf.

gretchen2
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Aprilrain
10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
My BF and I bought some drywall for his house at Lowes. We were loading it in to my truck and this guy rushes up to take my end of the drywall! YAY! i was perfectly happy to stand and watch the boys do it!

As for jars I hit them on the bottom a few times with the palm of my hand. I don't know why this works but it does.
twist off bottle caps are the worst! not so much because its hard to twist them but because they hurt my hand, OWCHY!

CharleneT
10-04-2011, 01:51 PM
That's what boys are for, keep one nearby by for such tasks ;)

Melody Moore
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I run into the same problem at times with opening up jars now, but seeing how I don't
have a man in my life now I have had to resort to a few other methods such as tapping
the bottom of the jar. But you will also find that processed foods etc have been packaged
while they are still hot or warm so this means when it seals this creates a vacuum seal that
is causes the lid to seal even tighter, making it a lot harder to break the seal. But I found
by putting the jar under some hot water running over the metal lid for a 45-60 seconds causes
the metal to expand and loosen while also heating up the air inside causing it to expand which
helps as well to break the seal.

Amber99
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Haha I have problems with this as well. I have to make people open jars for me. :3

RADER
10-04-2011, 03:33 PM
If I Had A Hammer :D
It workes for me.
Rader

Inna
10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
When you get to be a girl you must invent ways to cope with the world. I stick a small spoon between lid rim and jar wall when jar is upside-down. Pry it a bit and air rushes in, job done, simply no effort.

OR:

HOW TO OPEN A JAR OF PICKLES:

A. Get as girly and sexy as you possibly can!

B. Drive to the nearest club!

C. Shake your tush like there is no tomorrow!

D. Be very seductive and mysterious!

E. Drive with the boy of your choice back home!

F. Make sexy boy twist the jar open!

G. Thank sexy boy for dropping you off and that YOU will call him!

H. Repeat procedure as necessary!

Warning!!!, prolonged use may have some side effects, mainly your voice mail may get full, boys may want more then just a pickle ;0

abigailf
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Okay, so I am only a month in and have not experienced this yet. I am aware of it and only have one concern. What kind of a biker chick will I be if I can't handle my 900lb Harley?

Kaitlyn26
10-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Most of the mechanical can openers also have a little hook shaped part that can be used to break the seal on jars. It's very easy. :) If you don't have that, you can always carefully place a knife on top of the lid, hit the handle with your palm, and make a small hole to break the seal. Put some tape over it after if you're worried about the pickles getting something in them.

Okay, so I am only a month in and have not experienced this yet. I am aware of it and only have one concern. What kind of a biker chick will I be if I can't handle my 900lb Harley?

A biker chick that's looking for a 500 lb Harley, like all the others. :)

Aprilrain
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Keep it upright baby and you'll be fine!

gretchen2
10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

TeaganNataliaAcheson
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I haven't even started HRT yet, but just the other day I couldn't get my pickle jar open (one of the big huge jars) and had to ask my ftm roommate Ayden to open it for me. He has been on T for over a year. I have been poisoned by it for 23..FML. lol

Melody Moore
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
What kind of a biker chick will I be if I can't handle my 900lb Harley?

I have to ask, what model Harley weights 900lb? Even Softtail Fat-boy only weights 714.0 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Traci Elizabeth
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Thus thread is too funny. I too can not open pickle jars or any jars for that matter and my strength is only a fraction of what it was 2 years ago when I started HRT.

But being as resourceful as I am, I found a solution for the jars. Walmart actually sells the perfect jar opener in the kitchen gadget area. It opens all sizes of jars and it white with black rubber gaskets. GREAT TOOL for us women!!!!

Hope
10-05-2011, 02:17 AM
OMG - I have had this exact same experience.

I can't even open jars -I- closed like 2 months ago.

It is a small price to pay.

abigailf
10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I have to ask, what model Harley weights 900lb? Even Softtail Fat-boy only weights 714.0 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Yea. I was probably being a bit dramatic. It's a Road King. But I take it on overnights and usually have both saddlebags and a sissybar bag loaded with supplies and clothes. Not to mention if I am carrying my wife.

Now, I haven't taken it enfemme for an overnight, but when I do,I am sure I will need more space for shoes :)

And, just so this post is not entirely off the beaten path of the thread:

I have this really cool device. It has a handle on top that twists. As you twist it in the direction for loosening (left), two prongs on the bottom begin to close. You place it on the top of a jar and twist. The more you twist, the tighter it holds the lid until eventually either the jar opens. It makes it real easy to open up those pesky pickle jars.

Niya W
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I was going to suggest using sledge hammer till I picked one up the other day . I thought I was going to drop it .

Wendy_Marie
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
This may be the guy in me who is a Gadget/Tool Lover......coming out but back when my parents were still alive they began having issues with things like opening bottles and jars as well...I first bought them one of the Electric jar Openers like this.... http://electricjaropener.net/

It worked fine on some things like the larger jars but on others not so much....One day while searching the shelves at the local Tru Value Hardware for some plumbing supplies I came across a Strap Wrench similiar to this one http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Strap-Wrench
Which gave me the idea for a solution to Mom and Dad's problem...They work very well and you can find them in places like WalMart, Home depot, Harbor Freight Tools....Basic principles of leverage applied to solve lifes problems...gotta luv it right?

And BTW..the cheap ones we found at Harbor Freight came in a package of three...small, medium and large...were made from all plastic and rubber for under $10.00 and we would throw them in the dishwasher from time to time to clean and sterilize them.

DeeDee1974
10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Trouble opening stuff? Psh. Who needs to have strength when you can have a guy like this around? :P

OMG! So hot!

Dont tell my wife I said so. LOL

Jay Cee
10-06-2011, 05:56 AM
If I Had A Hammer :D
It workes for me.
Rader

I believe it was Red Green who said "There's nothing that can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer." :)

I'm both looking forward to, and a little frightened by, taking female hormones that take away that much of my physical strength.

JohnH
10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Well, if it's a jar with a lid less than 5 cm (2 inches) I go out to the garage and get myself a plumber's wrench. No lid will remain stuck with that sucker!
In the same spirit, if I have frozen steaks or pork chops stuck together I use a cold chisel and a framer's hammer (the big one with straight claws) to pry the steaks or chops apart.

Johanna

donnalee
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
The thing that's needed is to equalize the pressures between the inside and outside of the jar, bottle etc.. Most ways to do this have been examined already, although I tend to use just hand pressure, which works 99% of the time. I inherited my hands from my mother, who was 5'0" and had the strongest (and most beautiful and aristocratic) hands I've ever known for someone her size. I have spent better than 50 years building strength & flexibility in mine from my work as a professional musician, so it's a matter of pride to me. The rest of my body, however, has weakened due to age, a bad back and 10 years of spiro.
One technique not mentioned earlier only applies to plastic jars or bottles. Pressing on the bottle will increase the internal pressure to equal the external and allow easy opening.