PDA

View Full Version : Planning on my first outing in Atlanta

Maiko Newhalf
10-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Okay, it finally comes to this point -- I have to try to go out en femme!

I'm visiting Atlanta next week for a techinical conference. The conference last 3 days so I'll have a couple of days of Rose time available. But I'm not not familiar with the city and need some ideas about what to do. I'm staying at the conference hotel first and havn't book lodging for the rest of my trip yet. Which area will you suggest I should stay and maybe go out to?

I think Atlanta is fairly open to LGBT. My therapist suggest that I could take a walk or dine inside the hotel first, which is a good idea.

Anyways, I'm extremely nervous and exciting. Please let me know your suggestions! Thanks!

AKADonna
10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
You are correct, Rose! Atlanta is very LGBT friendly. You would probably have difficulty in finding a place or surrounding that would be problematic. Don't know where you are staying for your conference, but if you have a choice afterwords, you will most likely find lots of TG/CD activity in the Buckhead area. Most any of the clubs, hotels and restaurants along Peachtree St in Buckhead will be comfortable to ya. I wouldn't be concerned at all to make a virginal trip en femme in Atlanta! You are sure to have fun!

Most of the doubts and concerns that you are having are purely within yourself. In reality, there is little to worry about! Just go and have a great time, girl!

GeorgiaHall
10-05-2011, 05:04 PM
I can't offer any suggestions but do offer my support and excitement for you taking this next step. I can wait to hear how the trip goes.

Maiko Newhalf
10-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks Donna. My conference is held in Geogia Tech area. I saw a big shopping mall called Lenox Square in Buckhead area? :)

Maiko Newhalf
10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Checked weather next week, Atlanta will be a bit chilling. Problem is I only have summer clothes in my female wardrobe. You know, as a Tucson girl.

AKADonna
10-05-2011, 05:34 PM
The Ga Tech area is between 20th and 14th streets. The Buckhead area is only a couple of miles Northwest of there. It would be a cheap cab ride form the Tech area. Also there are several hotels in the Buckhead area that would put you in walking (or strutting!!) distance from the action! Except for you perhaps being a little chilly, your AZ fashions will not be out of place this time of year in Atlanta. The high temps next week are forecast to be in the mid 70's with lows in the mid 50's. SUck it up, Girl! (Besides, your normal anxiety will probably keep you from thinking about the weather very much! You are sure to have a lot of fun!!!

ArleneRaquel
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Rose,
I cant afford any suggestions, but my thoughts and prayers will be with you. I hope that any nervousness that you feel will dissapate and that you will be safe. May your jury to Atlanta, and down the road of life bring you joy, comfort, and happiness

Maiko Newhalf
10-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize that Ga tech is this close. So, what are the activities/atractions in Buckhead?

You are right about the anxiety :)

susangirl
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Rose, your coming to the right town and area. Last week I took my first trip as Susan in Buckhead, which is just north of Atlanta. The department stores at lenox square and philps plaza are a great place to shop. It's a high end up scale area and the stores are use to seeing all sort of things. I have been cross dressing in public for three years but never in major public until now. I would drive the car and walk in places no one was around. Let me tell you, once your walking through the store and the first sales person says "hello may I help you" and looks right you and acts completly normal you will be able to relax. Walking around in a dress with stockings or pantyhose and pumps feels so good after while you want even think about what people might think. It sounds to good to be true but it is. Good luck.

CallieH
10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Congrats Rose, and best wishes on this 'maiden' venture!

Maiko Newhalf
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks you Susan and Calvin!

Hmm... I'm thinking about staying at Springhill Suites in Buckhead. It's a bit pricey though ...

AKADonna
10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Springhill Suites would be close enough to the Buckhead action. You likely won't find anything decent for less money either. Good choice and safe, too.

Paula_56
10-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Okay, it finally comes to this point -- I have to try to go out en femme!

I'm visiting Atlanta next week for a techinical conference. The conference last 3 days so I'll have a couple of days of Rose time available. But I'm not not familiar with the city and need some ideas about what to do. I'm staying at the conference hotel first and havn't book lodging for the rest of my trip yet. Which area will you suggest I should stay and maybe go out to?

I think Atlanta is fairly open to LGBT. My therapist suggest that I could take a walk or dine inside the hotel first, which is a good idea.

Anyways, I'm extremely nervous and exciting. Please let me know your suggestions! Thanks!

I had the same questions last month, I had a great trip the details are here in this post or you can read about it on my flickr, Lenox Sqaure Mall was awesome btw, the perimeter mall is so very use to TG's becasue of SCC and right after the conference they will be expecting you. Go girl go!!!!!!!

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?159218-My-Trip-to-Atlanata

Maiko Newhalf
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Paula, I have read your story. I hope my trip can be as successful as yours.

DeeInGeorgia
10-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza Are good. The local Tri-Ess group used to meet at the what was the Sheraton Buckhead a few years ago. No problems with bathroom use at Teds Montana Grill, Magiannos, Ruby Tuesdays, and other restaurants in the area. If you stay closer to Ga Tech, the Ga Aquarium, CNN, have had groups of TG people visit. Agathas Dinner Theater is a favorite for those attending Southern Comfort Conference so it should be good for you also. Ga Tech also has a professor that has a sociology class that invites Crossdressers to speak at a few times a year.

Maiko Newhalf
10-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Finally get to Atlanta!! Yeah!!

But I found out my conference will not start until Monday. Apparently Sunday is only for a tutorial session which I haven't registered. What a bummer!

Anyways, if I cannot get into that tutorial session. I might have to stay in the hotel and playing dressing... The GA tech campus/downtown area don't seems to be safe enough for my first outting...

What do you think?

Maiko Newhalf
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Just saw a lesbian couple outside my hotel lobby. A guy walked by and didn't even look at them. Maybe it's not that bad after all here. :-)

AKADonna
10-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Rose:

I think you have two choices. Stay inside the hotel and its bar & restaurant or take a cab up to Buckhead/Lenox area. Do not use the Marta train on your outing no matter what locals may tell you. A cab shouldn't cost you that much and will not be uncomfortable. Just be yourself and do no more that you are comfy with. You want to have fun your first time out. (Most of your worries are really unnecessary, you know! I've been out all over Atlanta without a problem and you will pass much better than me! I promise!)

Maiko Newhalf
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hmm, if don't get into the tutorial session which means that I'll have enough time tomorrow to get ready for maybe dinner at hotel restaurant... I do have a rental car for going out, I'm just not sure what should I do going out. Perhaps one baby step at a time. :o

OK, I should stop agonize about it and just do it. It's funny that I'm attending the conference in boy mode too. My thought is to keep my glasses on all the itme in boy mode. That plus the help of make-up and wig, hopefully nobody recognize me. If I'm not leaving the hotel, I guess I could go with a everyday jane look with jeans and tops, trying to blend in?

If I get stage fright, I can also just use the computers at the lobby. That counts as outting too, right? :D

AndreaS
10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Rose:

One of the LGBT friendliest parts of Atlanta is Midtown which is closer to GA Tech than Buckhead. There is an outdoor "mall" called Ansley Mall which is frequented by more gays than straights. Burkhart's and Einstein's are two more gay-leaning restaurants. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens are in midtown as well. You could also do some walking and hanging out in Piedmont Park and not be bothered at all.

I would personally suggest Midtown over Buckhead due to the higher concentration of LGBT folks (especially gays) and the fact that it is even closer than Buckhead to where you are staying.