PDA

View Full Version : Gender Marker change/name change in South Carolina

GirlieAmanda
10-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I will be moving to SC and I was disappointed and angered that I read that you cannot change your gender marker in South Carolina. Can anyone confirm this? I can't think that every TS in SC has a drivers license with an M on it. How about changing names there? Any help would be great. I still have my DL in PA. I know it is fairly easy to change in PA. I may delay changing my address and apply for a change in PA but I would prefer to do it in SC.

Inna
10-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey hon all I can truly suggest, and this is not any educated resource but it is what I would do, get it changed as soon you can in the state which allows it! Once it is changed, I don't think it could be argued to be revoked in any other state, could it??????????????????????????????

sandra-leigh
10-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Some states can simply refuse to recognize the change :(

Michelle.M
10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Some states can simply refuse to recognize the change :(

On what grounds? Seems to me a name / gender marker change ought to be a done deal unless the new state has probable cause to challenge it.

GirlieAmanda
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Do you change your name at the same time? I would think you would have to.

sandra-leigh
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
On what grounds? You think they need grounds to enact laws that get trans people both ways? :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Texas#Gender_reassignment

In the jurisdiction covered by the 4th Texas Court of Appeals, the 1999 case Littleton v. Prange defined that, for the purposes of determining the validity of a marriage, a person's sex is determined by birth. Though in the original case, the decision refused to reccognize the marriage of a male-to-female transgendered woman to a man, it cleared the way for transwomen attracted to women to marry legally in Texas.

In 2011, Texas state Senator Tommy Williams (R - The Woodlands) introduced S.B.723, an act which would remove the provision for a court order relating to an applicant's sex-change as qualification for a marriage licese from Texas Family Code ยง 2.005(b). This would effectviely deny marriage rights to transgender persons.

Helen Grandeis
10-10-2011, 03:26 AM
By all means do the document change in the easy state!!!! Then it becomes the basis for the other change in the new state.