PDA

View Full Version : Tips On Shaving Girly Bits

Trixi35
10-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi
I'm cursed with hairy legs, chest etc

Can any of you give me tips on how not to end up sore and prickly !
excuse the pun

Is it better to shave or wax.

Has anyone bought the ladyshaves ?

I really want to go to a local beauty parlour

and have my legs waxed and have a pedicure (any girls done this)

Ultimately I'd luv to have a brazilian wax

All advice & stories appreciated:o

girlintouch
10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
i would like to know too

Nyx
10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Waxing in salons can turn out to be quite expensive. It also won't last as long for a guy as it would for a girl.

I don't know if you're like me, but I just can't shave. It only stays fresh for one day... And even there, I can't ever shave it short enough for the skin to be really smooth. I also can't shave often, because if I do, my skin gets very irritated, and it's painful. Not only that, but when you shave, the hair grows back stronger!

What I found works best, so far, is an epilator. It's like an electrical rotating tweezer. I won't kid you. It's rather painful. But you can get used to it. It's quite effective at removing the hair, because it removes it from the root. This means no traces of it on your skin, and it can stay fresh for up to a month... So it does take longer than shaving, but in the long run, it means less irritation, and only having to freshen it every two weeks in the worst case.

In practice, an epilator does exactly the same thing as shaving (pulling the hair out from the root), but you don't ever have to pay for expensive recharges, or wait an hour for it to heat up (although you should take a hot shower before using it). It also leaves no waxy residues. When the hair grows back, it's not stronger, but weaker (quite the opposite of shaving)... It can actually help reduce how hairy you are in the long run (although it most likely won't ever eliminate all of your hair).

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AOWP8.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

urban gypsy
10-16-2005, 12:02 PM
I use veet sensitive cream on chest,back and bum,and a cheaper brand for legs and under arms. as i find this gives me better results and lasts a bit longer.
As for a brazilian I DON'T THINK SO!:eek:

Lauren_T
10-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Nyx, let me point out one thing - shaving doesn't do anything to hair - it only seems that way subjectively, but your hair follicles are completely indifferent to the fate of the shafts they excrete once they've been excreted. If this weren't so, we could simply cure hair thinning and pattern baldness by shaving our heads! :eek:

No, the only thing that causes thicker hairs is testosterone.

Jodi Lynn
10-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I shave my chest and legs. I have to shave my chest ever few days and my legs I can get by with everyother week. I use a Venis Devive Razor seems to work really well for me. When I shave, sometime times I just use shower gel and do so while I am taking a shower. When not in the shower I do use shaving gel on both my legs and chest. Shaving my underarms I just do them in the shower everyother week.

KatieZ
10-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Are you rich?!

You can do the laser hair removal. A bit expensive but it's permanent. I understand that legs, arms, and chest can be done resonably inexpensive as it only takes a couple treatments on each to complete it. The face however is much tougher and may take 25-35 treatments to get it all.

Just another option.

Hugs

Holly
10-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi Trixi... I shave my face with a Mach III razor... it does a pretty good job. From the neck down, I like using Veet the best. It's a depilitory and works amazing well for me. The way it was once explained to me, shaving stubble feels rougher because when the blade slices the hair, it leave a sharp edge and that's what we feel when it starts growing out. Depilitories, on the other hand actually disolve the hair and leave no sharp edge for you (or someone else ;) ) to feel when it begins to grow out. I've tried the epilitor route in the past. I may try again as the technology has changed a bit and although it is uncomfortable at best, the results can be quite amazing.

As for a salon pedicure, I urge you to do it! It's a wonderful experience and helps your feet feel smooth and look ever so pretty (by all means let them go ahead and paint those toes!). I wear acrylic nails full time on my hands and see the girls in the salon every 2-3 weeks for fills and maintenance. I get my feet done every 1-2 months. I may step that up... it feels that good! Let us know how things work out for you!

robinLynn
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
i have same problem nothin works

Carole
10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Trixi
I have my legs waxed and it lasts about 4 weeks before I need to have them done again. I have found that the hairs lower down my legs have grown less as time has gone by, maybe an effect of waxing or growing older I'm not sure. The sensation of being pampered like a girl is worth the expense tho'. Here in the UK I pay around £18 ($30 ?) for a full leg wax that is almost a bikini wax as well as she waxes right into the inner thigh.
Carole

MandyTS
10-27-2005, 01:08 AM
I may be a bit different but for me a leg or arm shave lasts about 2 days between needing to be redone. I don't grow hair on my face so I can not tell you there. Expoliation works wonders but it does hurt, close to electrolysis though.

The only thing I wax is eyebrows and actually I am thinking about having electrolysis to remove a few of the stray hairs up there and just waxing for general "basic" shape.

And testosterone does make hair thicker... although the only reason I know is because androgel, the testosterone supliment I was taking makes hair grow... now I have dark hairs on my stomach... more elctrolysis here I come!

DawnRodgers
10-27-2005, 01:13 AM
I have also used an epilator for many years. It gets easier to use over time in that the haie that slowly grows in comes in much thinner. Consequently, it lasts much longer (a couple of weeks initially and eventually a month or so) and best of all, after a while, it comes in so lightly that you can easily use a regular razor on it and it is nowhere as prickly and bothersome as it was when you first shaved your legs. A quick shave in the shower makes you as good and smooth as any other womna.I have used an epilator all over my body (below the neck). Love it!
Dawn

Shannon
10-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Katie -- I started laser hair removal for my chest, abs, and back about 18 months ago. I have treatments about every 10 weeks. The hair on my back is almost permanently gone. Chest and abs is maybe 80 - 90% gone. They did tell me that it takes about 10 - 12 treatments for the chest (my chest hair was moderate). The biggest downside, besides the cost, is that it doesn't work on gray hair, and unfortunately, I have some. You can't wax when your going through laser; but after my guarantee runs out, I'll probably try waxing chest and abs for keep really smooth.

As for legs and underarms, I shave several times a week, whenever stubble starts to bother me. I have been thinking about having my legs waxed.

insearchofme
10-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I've had my back waxed 3 times and it appears to me and my waxologist (?) that the regrowing hair is not as thick and is more sparce.

I have just begun (2 weeks) shaving with Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Cream (I get a great shave on my face, chest, abs and arms). Last week I found Aveeno Positively Smooth Lotion and use it daily. These products are susposed to slow down the hair regrowth and make it finer and smoother. The lotion is suspoed to show results in a month but using both together is susposed to offer quicker results. I'll let you know.

Dana

Sedona
10-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Hi,

Things I've done/had done, and how it effects my skin (I'm probably a three out of five in terms of hairyness):

Shaving: easy to do, absolutely smooth for a day, pretty smooth for three days.

Nair/veet: easy to do (painless unless you leave it on too long), absolutely smooth for two or three days, pretty smooth for five. You can do your um, "parts" but be very careful, and I use a coat of neosporin down there for a day or two, as you should expect a little stinging.

Epilator: Painful (I have two tylenol or a glass [or two] of wine before I start). Very time consuming, but on me the results are absolutely smooth for seven to 10 days, and pretty smooth for 15-20 days.

Regular Waxing: Results, similar to epilator. I've had my back/chest and abdomen waxed. I tried it myself once, and was such a hassle that I started going to a salon. I've been to regular salons, but since have had the best luck at the local "Beauty School." I've been there four times, and while you do get inexperienced waxers, I've always had two students (always girls) work on me at once, and you'll save about 50 percent off a regular salon. But the best part, I think that the students simply do a better job because they really want their results to be perfect, and they'll make sure to get every stray hair with extra wax, or tweezers (yipee)

Brazilian waxing: I had this done once, about six weeks ago. Cost me about 100 bucks (with tip). I drove about two hours and went to the best waxologist in this area, who specializes in brazilians. I took my tylenol, and yes, it was painful. Surprisingly, the "backside" and "the boys" weren't that bad. The thick hairs up front and sides of "the boys" were the worst. Made me wince yes, but the pain was over in a jiffy, and the results were wonderful.

With waxing and epilating, I find using a loofah sponge daily (starting a couple of days after the procedure) dramatically cuts down on ingrown hairs.

cd_becca
10-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I tried an epilator but nearly screamed the house down and crawled up the wall in pain. I always wax. I don't use a salon though. I use a girl who runs her business from her converted garage. Her costs are much much lower. About £15 for full leg wax. It lasts about 6 weeks for me but it depends on how much testosterone you have surging through you. I know a girl who needs to be waxed every 4 weeks. I would say not to try and wax yourself with these kits though. Less than useless!

Midnight_Minx
10-27-2005, 02:34 PM
I personally shave with a Mach 3 razor, and a sensitive skin shave cream. Seems to work fairly well for me, but the results only stay for a day or so. Thankfully, I am not plagued with lots of hair and can shave it every week or so, without too much problem.

my fiance has used nair, and her comment was "whoa, this stuff smells like dog crap!", but it works on legs.

Being opposed to any type of pain (if I can help it), I prefer not to wax or use the epilator. ^_^

Has anyone purchased/used the stuff they've shown on TV, Epil stop and spray?

~Viv the Minx~

Amanda Leigh
10-27-2005, 07:30 PM
you all may laugh at this but I use shampoo as shaving cream...it seems to soften the hair up and after I shave I use neo-sprin or some other knid of anti-bacterial cream....it cuts down on about 80% of the razor burn

Lauren_T
10-27-2005, 07:39 PM
And testosterone does make hair thicker... although the only reason I know is because androgel, the testosterone supliment I was taking makes hair grow... now I have dark hairs on my stomach... more elctrolysis here I come!Mandy, don't take my word for it, double-check for yourself - but those hairs on your stomach, unlike facial hair, I'm pretty sure will go almost all, if not all, the way back to what they were before you used the Androgel... electrolysis shouldn't be necessary... That's the main reason I myself am gonna wait until I've been on estrogen at least a year before considering what should be electrolysed or lased...

Sedona
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
I personally shave with a Mach 3 razor, and a sensitive skin shave cream. Seems to work fairly well for me, but the results only stay for a day or so. Thankfully, I am not plagued with lots of hair and can shave it every week or so, without too much problem.

my fiance has used nair, and her comment was "whoa, this stuff smells like dog crap!", but it works on legs.

Being opposed to any type of pain (if I can help it), I prefer not to wax or use the epilator. ^_^

Has anyone purchased/used the stuff they've shown on TV, Epil stop and spray?

~Viv the Minx~

I haven't tried epil stop, but I tried a more expensive product, Kalo. I can't say that I've noticed a difference, but it may be that I've not used it enough (one container of the lotion, and one bottle of the spray).

Emma Chase
10-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi there

The difference really between to 2 choiuces is that when you shave you are really only cutting the hair at skin level. Compaired to when you wax you 'rip' the hair out of the folicle.

I have tried both and even though it's sometimes a chore to shave daily I perfer it.

The trick? ALWAYS use a sharp razor and moisturize, moisturize moisturize.
If you don't then you will get a shaving rash as the dull blade pulls the hair up rather then cutting it.

Emma

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
you all may laugh at this but I use shampoo as shaving cream

Not laughing here. I do the same thing. The moisterizers in it do soften the hair -- and they're the same secret ingredient that's in pricy "adult" shaving creams.

rachel_rachel
10-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Funny i should read this thread just after i've done my legs, chest and belly.

I shave my face with a Mach 3 turbo razor once a week, and use Avon skin so soft hair remover on my chest.
I normally do that once a week.

For my legs i use Nad's for men or veet moouse with the plastic razor,
i do my legs fornightly.

NatashaRoberts
10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I used to shave but despite following all the tips the results are only good for a day or so and there is the risk of nicks and cuts.

For the last 3 years I have been waxing my legs at local salons and it is expensive but the results are wonderful - and being pampered is lovely.

I've also started waxing my chest, stomach and bikini line - a little further each time and it does smart a bit but again the reulsts are great.

Find a friendly local salon - I emailed first and was completely open about the situation - and you'll never look back. And it is worth every penny to have the beautician rub moisturiser into your smooth skin afterwards :D

trannied
10-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Nothing is daft if it works.

I use most any moisturising lotion.
It shaves good and as a bonus it is soothing.
Perfumed lotions after if you want, that would be luxus. For instance
Lanvin Apres Rasage Cream.