PDA

View Full Version : CD at College

Laurel B
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I have recently started taking classes to get a masters degree and this has given me some time to be me. Well for the class we have to do a presentation with a partner. I have been going to class cd'd and my partner asked about why I was CD. I answered his questioned and he said that while he is a christian he is ok working with me and will not judge me for who I am. I felt a little bit of relief at his response but this is my first experience with this type of tolerence and I am unsure how to react or feel?

Maria Ann
10-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I think that the younger generations are more accepting of us than some of the older ones do.

Toni Citara
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Laurel, you're fortunate to have found an open-minded "Christian" that is cool with the CDing. A much better result than many of us have had in life.

NathalieX66
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Take it for what it is. :)
I think there's a sterotype lately that Christians are not tolerant or accepting. perhaps you might want to know the demomination your partner is from and what the overall philosopy is. Being empathetic to their situation can go a long way.
Usually the Christian philosophy is forgiveness of sins, and don't judge.
We all can benefit by learning from each other.
Myself, having gone through a pretty thick catholic upbringing, things have taken an entire 180° in my family, as I was with my parents this past weekend at their Unitarian church , which is not shy about supporting LGBT causes. It's kind of odd, but reassuring so see my mom read a paper handout that very clearly spells out the word transgender. This would never have happened in my household 30 years ago. My grandparents were all about rosary beads and confession boxes. ....real catholic stuff.

Not to be rude, oh which I'm goo d at, I sometimes ask people of faith the question "do you have faith in yourself"?
That can be a slightly testy question.

Roberta Marie
10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm a Christian, and I'm tolerant of me being a CD, and of my gay son.

My Pastor is a Christian and a good friend. Since I told him that I'm a CD, our relationship has not changed. He's still my Pastor and a good friend.

The Methodist church where my CD support group meets is a Christian church, and they have welcomed us with open arms. And, they are very supportive of their openly gay pastor.

The trans-support group that I sometimes attend meets in the fellowship hall of a United Church of Christ, where we are made to feel very welcome.

I have attended another United Church of Christ en femme, and even helped serve dinner to the homeless in their fellowship hall last Christmas as Bobbi. The people there are some of the few that know me both as Rob and as Bobbi (the company that I work for has done work in their building), and they have been more than welcoming., supportive, and understanding.

Don't judge all Christians by the retoric of those that can shout the loudest.

sissystephanie
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Laurel, you are very fortunate to have a partner who is open minded!! I am a Catholic, but was raised as an Episcopalian!! However, I have been open minded myself. Since becoming a Catholic, I have been told by 2 Catholic Priests and a Catholic Archbishop that God does not care what you are wearing as long as you are decently covered! All three of them knew that I was a crossdresser myself!!

Vickie_CDTV
10-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Just be thankful your project partner is ok with who you are (remember though it may be tolerance, it may or may not be real acceptance.)

I am curious, are you registered/IDed as female in your school and/or they use your female name, or do you dress and use your male/legal name? I know it would have caused confusion and disruption if I showed up en femme when I was in college (and it wasn't that long ago.)

rebecca.cross2
10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Take it in stride. I will say colleges are for the most part a very liberal enviroment, unless you are going to BYU or something.

JenniferLynn0370
10-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Laurel, I would certainly maintain a pleasant and appreciative demeanor toward your partner but still take it in stride at the same time. Hope that makes sense!

Good luck!!

Kim_Bitzflick
10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Laurel,

It sounds like your partner is treating it like a working relationship. He may not agree with your CD'ing, but he will work with you and be cordial to get the job done. So if it was me, I would treat him with respect and just not worry about what you are wearing or presenting as.

Stephanie,

I too am catholic and I asked my priest. He said basically the same thing.

Laurel, you are very fortunate to have a partner who is open minded!! I am a Catholic, but was raised as an Episcopalian!! However, I have been open minded myself. Since becoming a Catholic, I have been told by 2 Catholic Priests and a Catholic Archbishop that God does not care what you are wearing as long as you are decently covered! All three of them knew that I was a crossdresser myself!!

*Vanessa*
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks good news right? As you said "he is ok working with me and will not judge me for who I am"
What is the class, I'm interested in knowing?

I was born into a Christian family. I am no longer and believe that "Love and Compassion" is a good thing (common ground perhaps).

Sophie86
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
I have recently started taking classes to get a masters degree and this has given me some time to be me. Well for the class we have to do a presentation with a partner. I have been going to class cd'd and my partner asked about why I was CD. I answered his questioned and he said that while he is a christian he is ok working with me and will not judge me for who I am. I felt a little bit of relief at his response but this is my first experience with this type of tolerence and I am unsure how to react or feel?

The concept of not judging is a bit squishy. Everyone judges, they're just not always vocal about it. True acceptance means that the person has judged, and has determined that CDing is a moral activity. Your partner doesn't have to be accepting as long as he can be not vocal about judging. If you press him too hard on it, though, you might hear things that would make working with him uncomfortable. After you've completed the presentation, you can determine whether you have true acceptance, or just non-vocalization of a suppressed judgment.

For now, I would take his statement for what it's worth, and not scratch too deeply under the surface. Be polite, but don't allow yourself to be drawn into any theological discussions until you've finished the presentation. :)

Laurel B
10-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Thank You all for your thoughts and advice.

joanna4
10-13-2011, 04:06 PM
I just want to say that you have a lot of courage for going to class dressed. Major props:)