PDA

View Full Version : TACOS and CROSSDRESSING!!! Enter thread at your own risk!

Anne2345
10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Good Mexican food is hard to beat. Unfortunately, although there are plenty of Mexican restaurants around in my area, there are few really good such restaurants.

For the most part, the restaurants around me are pretty much all the same. The menus are practically the same, the dishes the same, the presentation the same, and the taste the same. Of course, it's still good, but just like crossdressing, there is a lot to be said for being different and distinguishing yourself from the rest of the drab pack.

But this post is not about the virtues and qualities of Mexican restaurants. It's about tacos, and, of course, crossdressing. :eek:

Earlier this year, I spent about a month in Houston, Texas. While I was there, when I had the time, I searched for the perfect taco. Anywhere I saw a hole-in-the-wall taco joint or taco stand, I tried to stop and have a taco. You see, I just happen to love tacos. Although standard run-of-the-mill restaurants do tacos no real justice, tacos can be amazingly versatile, and quite tasty!

In this, you can put virtually anything you desire into a taco. Just like crossdressing, there are no rules! Some like chicken, some like beef, and some like carnitas in their tacos. Some even like something altogether different, or may prefer their tacos vegetarian. The combination and number of possible ingredients one may place into a taco is practically limitless, and limited only by one's imagination.

But get this - tacos also come in a hard exterior shell and a soft exterior shell! However, I have no idea if one's preference for one type of shell has anything to do with one's crossdressing habits or not. Based upon my own experience and tastes, I am guessing probably not. After all, although I do prefer the soft exterior shell of my self en femme, I do really enjoy the loud, satisfying crunch of a good hard shell taco. So are the two at odds with each other, or is this just a really odd post?

During the time I have spent on this forum, I have discovered and noticed, just like tacos, there are many types of crossdressers. Although we share the same basic, general characteristic of being a crossdresser, we are made up of many different ingredients. Some may even come wrapped in a hard shell, whereas others present in a soft shell.

So I am curious, and not to mention, hungry. What kind of tacos do you prefer? Hard shell or soft shell? When I do eat soft shell tacos, though, I very much prefer to use corn tortillas as opposed to flour. Depending on the ingredients, the subtle background flavor of a good corn tortilla typically serves to compliment the ingredients I prefer quite well.

And speaking of ingredients, what are your favorites? Do you like to experiment and try new ingredients within tacos? Interestingly enough, not so long ago, I had cow stomach tacos for the first time. Granted, cow stomach tacos do not sound particularly appealing or appetizing, but they were actually amazingly good!

So just like the ingredients of tacos, the possibilities presented by crossdressing, and one's presentation thereof, is virtually limitless, and limited only by one's imagination. So what do you think? Or are you going to take the high, safe, and sane road, and simply skip responding to this post? Is it even possible to respond to this post and retain one’s sense of self dignity? Hmmmm, I wonder . . . .

While you ponder your imminent course of action, may I interest anyone in a jumbo frozen margarita with salt? :D

Kate Simmons
10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Sometimes I like my taco shells soft, sometimes crunchy. Sometimes I like the bare minimum ingrediants, sometimes the "works". Same thing with CDing. The big question, however, is were you satisfied with the results? Results will vary and be more or less satisfying with each experience. I prefer a good beer with my tacos though Anne, shell and insides of taco notwithatanding.;):)

Kathi Lake
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
What kind of tacos do I prefer? Yes. :)

I like crunchy sometimes, and I like soft at other times (flour or corn - doesn't matter). Sometimes I'll go to a street cart and just point. I am usually pleasantly surprised. But then again, I guess you could say that our food preferences somewhat mirror our life preferences as well. I am an adventurous person, and I will try most anything at least once. As I tell my kids, "How do you know you won;t like it if you never try it? Who knows, you may just find your new favorite thing?"

Now that taco analogy could be stretched a bit to include crossdressing, but even my analogy skills aren't up to that task.

:)

Kathi

josee
10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I like a corn tortilla with beef, pork or chicken. A spicy sauce and a frozen margarita with salt. Not sure how to relate that to crossdressing but I do see similarities in taste.

S. Lisa Smith
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Josee, I hope you have gone to Gringo's on Norfolk Ave. in Virginia Beach. Great Mexican food!! Always fresh. I like a grilled fish taco best of all. Flour tortilla, cabbage and lots of lime.

Kittyagain
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Your post was a good read. I think you missed the very basic recipe for a taco and a cross dresser. It is you take what you have and make something out of it. :)

Kitty

Barbara Dugan
10-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Good post.I found the analogy interesting a taco can be simple or exotic with multiples variations depending on your taste and mood. Cross dressing can be same as well. I was born on the North of Mexico where flour tortilla is preferred, those are on my daily menu..but I still enjoy exotic ones like Tempura Squid on freshly made corn tortillas. Anne forgot to mention the salsa factor, I love the super extra hot ones.

kimdl93
10-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Really, did you have to mention Mexican food right now? I'm starving!

Since I have no dignity, I can respond without hesitation. I prefer soft shell tacos, generally flour, but also like corn. Its just that I like really big tacos and the flour tortillas hold more stuff. As for contents, I have never had anything so exotic as cow stomach. I'm perfectly happy with fajitas, ground beef, shrimp, gaucamole, charro beans, rice...a bit of lettuce and some salsa. I'm good to go.

Oh, the frozen margs sound great about now!

Sophie86
10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I was in Mexico once with a friend of mine--in Juarez. We were at a flea market, and he was searching for the perfect turquoise necklace. No, he's not a crossdresser, as far as I know, he just really liked this turquoise necklace that he had. He lost it while swimming in a lake, so he was hoping to find a replacement. Anyway, while we were there, we had some genuine Mexican tacos. It was the first time I'd ever had shredded beef (God, I hope it was beef) on a taco. Instead of a brown sauce heavy with chili powder, it looked greenish and had chunks of green pepper--maybe jalapeno? Anyway, they were surprisingly good.

While you ponder your imminent course of action, may I interest anyone in a jumbo frozen margarita with salt?

Yes. Yes you may. :drink:

MissMarcie
10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
During the time I have spent on this forum, I have discovered and noticed, just like tacos, there are many types of crossdressers. Although we share the same basic, general characteristic of being a crossdresser, we are made up of many different ingredients. Some may even come wrapped in a hard shell, whereas others present in a soft shell.

What about hard & soft all in one?
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/lifehacker/2010/10/10-taco-bell-double-decker-tacos.jpg

What about a puffy taco?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2001/2048408005_6bbca53e96.jpg

right, some of us are hard & soft. some of us also don't wear size "0".

TGMarla
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
First things first. Yes to the margarita, please! (Looks for margarita smiley, but can't find one)

On to the tacos....

Crunchy, with shredded beef, not ground, seasoned with red chili powder, oregano, and cilantro, topped with fresh green chile, lettuce, salsa, and cheese. Plenty of cheese! No tomatoes, please! (Yeah, yeah, I know. You can have them.)

Crunchy means a corn tortilla is being used. If you use a flour tortilla, I think you come up with something else. Taco Bell calls them Chalupas, I think, but I really don't know if that's a real word, or something they made up just because it sounds Mexican.

How does this relate to crossdressing? Hmmm.....I think you might be reaching this time. I may have a soft exterior when I'm en femme, but the ingredients often stay the same. And I certaily don't want to eat tacos when dressed, because I'm just liable to drop salsa-covered cheese all down my front, and have to wash my dress when I'm done.

Dang....can we fill up the ol' margarita glass again, please?

Debglam
10-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Ahhh, I remember my days back east where "good" Mexican food was Taco Bell or El Toritos! Now, in the land of the taqueria on every corner, I know what GOOOOOD Mexican food is!!!!!

Hard carnitas tacos, corn tortillas on the soft. Seafood tacos a good second. Served with home made tortilla chips and salsa and an ice cold Bohemia.

Damn, I'm hungry!!!!

Frédérique
10-13-2011, 07:16 PM
What kind of tacos do you prefer? Hard shell or soft shell?

Being from New England, I would prefer some fried clams or a lobster roll (go to Wiscasset, ME during summertime for the latter). Naturally, tacos rule the roost here in Kansas, and I prefer the soft shell type…

Or are you going to take the high, safe, and sane road, and simply skip responding to this post? Is it even possible to respond to this post and retain one’s sense of self dignity? Hmmmm, I wonder . . . .

WHAT sense of self-dignity? I am consistently denied access to the “high” road, if recent discussions are any indication, so I take the path less traveled. Don’t think too much about it – it’s just another example of saying something without actually saying it, or, in my case, airing out one’s contusions...
:sigh:

…may I interest anyone in a jumbo frozen margarita with salt?

No thank you – I don’t drink (anything), and salt REALLY upsets my brain chemistry… :hypnotized:

PS - Oh, the inanity! :heehee:

kellycan27
10-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I like the more exotic ingredients like lingua and cabeza or "sesos" . I went to a little league baseball tournament in Calexico, and all the parents were enjoying the taco cuisine until they found out what they were actually eating.:heehee:
tongue and brains :heehee:

Babeba
10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I think you can also stretch the analogy to say that different cultures have different standards of what is a taco (and what's appropriate for each gender to wear??) A very traditional Tico Taco (Costa Rica) is deep fried, then topped with cabbage sliced as thinly as humanly possible as well as mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise. Some people really stretch the definition of a taco - some of Crystal's co-workers introduced us to 'taco in a bag' this summer and I'm still not sure whether it's an abomination or a brilliantly postmodern twist on an old standard!

MissMarcie
10-13-2011, 07:56 PM
No thank you – I don’t drink (anything), and salt REALLY upsets my brain chemistry…
Really? You can blame all this on SALT?

Sara Jessica
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I could almost say there's no such thing as a bad taco but then I think of Jack In The Box. Tacos just aren't made with American cheese slices!!!

But I digress.

There's some serious undertones in this thread that beg to be visited. Anne, first of all, we know it should be "Tacos and TG" so that we can be all inclusive. It was agreed that we all can still play together, correct??? That said, no one is talking about the taco who feels in it's heart that it's truly an enchilada. Oh sure there are some who just dress like one, cinch up that tortilla and throw some sauce on and ta-dah, we have an enchilada. But no, it's not that easy for those who truly identify as an enchilada. They go through life in daily turmoil that runs to the core of their being. Just try removing the crunch from your shell when it's already done...you should see the laser that does that job (and it doesn't even work on blue shells, go figure). Speaking of crunch, that is the dead giveaway that you aren't really an enchilada. Enchiladas are soft on the outside and filled with delectable goodness. Tacos are harsh, loud and crunchy and are so often misunderstood in their desire to be something else.

And don't even get me started on those tacos who claim to be more enchilada than a natal enchilada. That's the stuff of another thread!!!

Kathi Lake
10-13-2011, 08:36 PM
. . . But I like Jack in the Box tacos. :)

Did I mention my low culinary standards?

Kathi

Torrey
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
If they had a Jack in the Box on Bourbon Street, they'd sell nothing BUT TACOS...perhaps the most perfect late night (drunk) food ever created.

As for the Taco that wanted to be an enchilada...that's a cheesy metaphor.

The best taco is one that is both crunchy & soft at the same time. One that can embrace both sides of it's inner duality.

Anne2345
10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
but I still enjoy exotic ones like Tempura Squid on freshly made corn tortillas. Anne forgot to mention the salsa factor, I love the super extra hot ones.

WOW!!!! Now you're talking . . . . This sounds fantastic!

some of us also don't wear size "0".

Neither do I . . . . :(

Dang....can we fill up the ol' margarita glass again, please?

Yes. Yes we can! More than happy to do so . . . . :)

I like the more exotic ingredients like lingua and cabeza or "sesos" . I went to a little league baseball tournament in Calexico, and all the parents were enjoying the taco cuisine until they found out what they were actually eating.:heehee:

LOLOL!!!! There is very little I will not try. I'm game for that! Definitely!

Anne, first of all, we know it should be "Tacos and TG" so that we can be all inclusive.

OMG!!!! How completely rude of me! You are absolutely correct! D'OH!!! Please allow me to make it up to all concerned by purchasing the next round of margaritas!

That said, no one is talking about the taco who feels in it's heart that it's truly an enchilada. Oh sure there are some who just dress like one, cinch up that tortilla and throw some sauce on and ta-dah, we have an enchilada. But no, it's not that easy for those who truly identify as an enchilada. They go through life in daily turmoil that runs to the core of their being. Just try removing the crunch from your shell when it's already done...you should see the laser that does that job (and it doesn't even work on blue shells, go figure). Speaking of crunch, that is the dead giveaway that you aren't really an enchilada. Enchiladas are soft on the outside and filled with delectable goodness. Tacos are harsh, loud and crunchy and are so often misunderstood in their desire to be something else.

This is absolutely brilliant!!!

docrobbysherry
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
What a wonderful, imaginative thread, Anne! Where do I DIG IN here?

My first introduction to tacos and Mex food was on a surfing expedition to Mazatlan when I was quite young. There were NO Mexican restaurants where I lived in SoCal and this was WAY before Fast Food chains existed! (Yes! Well, I'm older than DIRT!) Sure, I'd eaten the 5 cent tacos they sold outside the Blue Fox in Tiajuana after drinking so many shooters I could hardly stand, but not real Mex food before.

In fact, there were NO MARGARITAS served in Mexico at that time! (Maybe I'm older than time?) Anyway, down there everything pretty much tasted the same. So hot we needed endless beers, tortillas, and pastries to be able to speak again!

Which has little or nothing to do with my POINT! That I have liked nearly every kind of food everywhere I've been around the world! (Except those horribly salty octopus cubes in Japan!)
And similarly when dressing, I try to imitate practically EVERY cute outfit/look I see on GGs everywhere!

rachaelsloane
10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey Anne,
Only that I am currently in Dallas and have been in Houston, San Antonio and Austin does your thread have more meaning. I'm not really a taco gal, but Enchiladas are are close. The spicier the better, I dress with the same philosophy I order enchiladas, without any worry.
One cannot think too much about it, but just enjoy.
Rachael

SmileS12
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Well I'm not hungry I just ate Mexican food, and seeing how my SO is Mexican, I know a lot about taco's. I have always preferred flour, or flour fried, that would be your puffy taco. Fried in Hot grease. But there is a time I enjoy the corn (masa), just really depends on what kind of taco's I'm going to eat, like carnitas, lingua de baca or lingua de puerco. lingua = tongue baca= cow and puerco = pork . barbacoa is what we like to eat every Sunday. barbacoa = bar-b-cue but barbacoa is not like your traditional American Bar-B-Q or Bar-B-Cue, how ever you appreciate it spelled. Barbacoa is normally stringy beef, cooked all day and simmered, some folks will bury a whole and put it in the ground in aluminum foil. Barbacoa is my fav. So unfortunately my taste in Taco's could never be a coincidence to my CD life. Their are a lot more different types of taco's that my SO loves, and it would probably take up all the whole page, but I do think it is intriguing that you would start this post, because I see where you were going with it. Soft and hard shell etc.. I just love taco's, and I love that I have a Mexican SO to cook them for me, and I can't wait to get closer to the border, because she has so much family down there that loves to cook for their family.

AnitaH
10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I like my taco's crunchy and preferably with shredded beef not ground beef but I would never eat one while in a pretty dress. I'd slop all over it and ruin it.

Although I may push the bounds of acceptability by crossdressing, sometimes in public, my choices in eating things such as taco's are much more acceptable. Some of those mentioned sound perfectly terrible to me.

So taco's and eating driven by acceptable norms and dressing driven by opposing acceptable norms. Now I'm confused.

AnitaH

Anne2345
10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
What a wonderful, imaginative thread, Anne!

You are too kind, Sherry! But alas, I cannot take credit for the concept or idea. Earlier today, Sara Jessica sent me a PM in which she stated, in part, "I bet you can write a thread on the virtues of tacos, chicken/beef or carnitas . . . ." Not one to shy away from a fun challenge (although I did deviate somewhat from the strict confines of the "bet"), I thought why the heck not, and gave it a try . . . . :)

JamieG
10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
When I eat at a Mexican restaurant, I almost never get tacos. I prefer enchiladas with verde (green) sauce. If I want to mix it up a little, I might get a plate of three: one chicken with verde sauce, one beef with red sauce, and one cheese with verde sauce. What does that say about my crossdressing? .... I have no idea. I'll take that margarita now, please.

LilSissyStevie
10-13-2011, 10:32 PM
There was a time in my life when I considered trading in the enchilada for a taco, but decided that occasionally wearing frilly dresses and pretending I had a taco was sufficient.:heehee:

A few years ago I discovered that I was gluten intolerant. Up to that point, I rarely ate anything that wasn't between two pieces of bread or wrapped in a tortilla. No more flour tortillas for me. Corn affects me a bit too. Then I discovered the fried cheese tortilla. You can use a fried cheese taco shell the same way you use flour or corn taco shells and you can make them as soft or crunchy as you like. And you don't have to waste space in the taco for cheese. I like to make tacos with pulled pork, fried potatoes and onions and topped with my own homemade tabasco/habanero sauce. For a drink I'll have a cold frothy glass of homemade raw milk kefir. :drink:

Jorja
10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
I'll have two corn tortilla with shredded beef with jalapeño and a margarita. Thanks!

So now I'll sit back, eat, and watch all the lovely crossdressers parade by ;)

Diana Bain
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Carne guisada tacos for me(flour tortilla)...salsa(caliente)...with a top shelf margarita! If your ever in San Antonio (lived there 35 yrs)...I highly recommend " Mi Tierra's " great tex-mex at a reasonable price.

Chickhe
10-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I can't figure out how anyone is supposed to look femine while eating a taco with sauce dripping down your chin and the fillings falling on your plate...

SarahLynn
10-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Tacos?? You did say tacos didn't you?? :eek: Gad zooks I never go near them things. Unfit for human consumption in my view. :eek::eek:

Give me a big healthy burreto, enchalatas, chilli rellanos, and if you don't mind leave a bowl of corn chips and dip on the table please. Now fill them with pulled pork, or chicken, or beef, or gato, or mutt, or what ever else you happen to find on the highway or byway. Don't forget the potatoes, veggies, chilli sauce ( red or green or both ) cheese and if you please, leave the avocodos on the tree and the sour cream in the tub thank you.

And mellon margaretas thank you and it'd please me if you'd keep the glass full. They have a horrible way of going dry on me so I need you to keep coming by to insure it's full up.

Now see here Miss Waitress I'd take it as a personal insult if you failed to notice I have my very best skirt and blouse and matching shoes, my hair and nails done just today, and this dearie, is the latest fashion in purses from the 50's.:):battingeyelashes::battingeyelashes:

SarahLynn

Elizabeth Ann
10-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Carne guisada tacos for me(flour tortilla)...salsa(caliente)...with a top shelf margarita! If your ever in San Antonio (lived there 35 yrs)...I highly recommend " Mi Tierra's " great tex-mex at a reasonable price.

Ah, Mi Tierra. I haven't been to San Antonio in 30 years, and it is great to find out that one of my old favorites survives.

I enjoy tacos and enchiladas, but great Mexican food is a lot more than corn, beans, rice, and cheese. Try chicken in banana leaves, roast goat, mole, red snapper Vera Cruz, or one of my favorite breakfasts, huevos rancheros.

Okay, how to tie this into TGism? Be open and tolerant of the infinite variety in life, and mindful that your choice is only just that: your choice. Be reconciled to always wonder if you have tasted the best. Socrates said "the unexamined life is not worth living." He didn't mean just once.

Liz

DanyaKay
10-14-2011, 06:41 AM
So what places in Houston did you like? My office isn't to far away for drive or dive to find the perfect taco. Sounds like an excursion for a Saturday, if I ever get one off.

Sara Jessica
10-14-2011, 07:05 AM
You are too kind, Sherry! But alas, I cannot take credit for the concept or idea. Earlier today, Sara Jessica sent me a PM in which she stated, in part, "I bet you can write a thread on the virtues of tacos, chicken/beef or carnitas . . . ." Not one to shy away from a fun challenge (although I did deviate somewhat from the strict confines of the "bet"), I thought why the heck not, and gave it a try . . . . :)

Complete the sentence Anne..."I bet you can write a thread on the virtues of tacos...and get 50 responses".

I rest my case as even 30+ is a lot for tacos.

And in crafting my earlier reply with lengua firmly planted in cheek, I neglected this little gem...

Yummy! It has been a lot of years since I've happened upon a good lengua or sesos taco. Time for a search!!!

SusanLCD
10-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks for this thread.

In my head, I'm a soft flour tortilla taco with either carne guisada or barbacoa. Unfortunately, I'm truly a hard, crunchy corn tortilla taco with lettuce and tomatoes falling out the sides. I just clean it up the best I can and pretent to be flour.

And, to a former San Antonio resident, Mi Tierra's brings back memories of good food at 2:00AM after playing gigs at a club on the River Walk. Like others, it's good to know they're still there.

RachelPortugal
10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
On this side of the Atlantic, authentic Mexican food is not easy to find. There are some restaurant chains with some pretty standard offerings and supermarkets stock meal kits for you to add meat and vegetables to create your own tacos, burritos, fajitas and enchiladas, but I am certain they are nothing like the real thing. We experiment at home with locally available ingredients - our current favourites are quesadillas filled with peppers, onions, courgettes, cherry tomatoes and tuna with grated Ilha cheese (quite a strong flavour) and also our own variation of Michoacan beef using African rather than American chillies, next time we may try putting the leftovers in tacos as the recipe book suggests.

Getting back on topic, tacos and crossdressing - well crossdressing is a transformation so how about this for a word association transformation:
- taco, tortilla, tortilla espanola, plain omelette, plain pizza - oh yeah, that's called a margarita too. Hold the salt, have to watch the blood pressure.

Margaritas - the best we've had so far was at Bellagios LV, so good we had downed six each before lunch!

Cynthia Anne
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I've been referred to everything else!:brolleyes: This is the first time I was told that I was like a taco!:eek: I eat tacos at least twice a week w/6 crunchy shells per pound of burger! I like my tacos just like me!! crunchy, hard, hot and spicy! H Thank you Anne for yet another exciting thread! Hugs!:hugs::love:

StarrOfDelite
10-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I make my own pseudo-Mex food using various compounds of ground beef, shredded cheese, canned white tuna, canned red salmon, shredded barbecued chicken, refried beans, green olives, black olives, lettuce shreds, pulled pork, fresh chopped garlic, fresh chopped onion, sweet and hot green and red peppers, chopped grape tomatoes, McCormack's salsa (hot), and my own secret seasoning recipe featuring chili powder, cumin, dried red peppers, jalapena sauce, and other herbs and spices. I use various sizes of soft wheat flour shells or hard corn flour shells as the wrappers, depending on what's in the cupboard and whether I want soft and squishy or crunchy al dente.

I'm not sure whether to call my concoctions tacos, burritos, chalupas, tortillas, quesadillas, tamales, or whatever is the current word du jour for them.

To get to the point of the thread, when I'm in the kitchen I am making something which is unique. I don't worry about trying to find a popular Label to describe the end product, I just enjoy the results. Crossdressers are all different kinds of things, we are all unique, and too many of us spend too much time worrying about whether they fit a convenient pre-packaged popular description instead of just enjoying life as it comes along to us.

p.s. A very cold light beer like Corona or High Life washes the food down very well, but I can also recommend good, hearty table reds for the job.

VeronicaMoonlit
10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Complete the sentence Anne..."I bet you can write a thread on the virtues of tacos...and get 50 responses".

One more closer to 50.

I like Gordita's myself. Though I do like a nice beef soft taco. I believe in simplicity....beef, lettuce, cheese, sauce (mild)...maybe some onions. Peppers tend to irritate my stomach. I've done Gordita's with soy crumbles that turned out very well

Veronica

Kathi Lake
10-14-2011, 11:56 AM
soy crumbles Ummmmmm, eww?

Even the phrase "soy crumbles" just sounds wrong. For one thing, I have never really seen soy . . . crumble, per se. It is usually a gloppy mess. I will leave it in if it is in my hot and sour soup, but I usually never seek soy.

I'm sorry you have a tender tummy. Some of my best friends are peppers. In fact, I usually try to get my kids up to at least jalapeño strength as soon as possible. That way, I don't have to cook weaker chili, etc. It's partly peer-pressure as well. I remember one time at the table, my daughter(about 7-8 at the time) had sweat beading up on her forehead as she proclaimed, "I like spicy food now!"

But seriously. Soy?!

Kathi

VeronicaMoonlit
10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Ummmmmm, eww?

Even the phrase "soy crumbles" just sounds wrong.

They're actually these things, totally soy...but tolerable:

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/morningstar-farms-meal-starters-grillers-recipe-crumbles.html

Use it as you would regular ground beef. Works pretty well in hamburger helper or sloppy joes. (Though it makes for a slighty nutty extra spicy sloppy joe.) It's also healthier than ground beef for those of us without freakish metabolisms. :-)

I'm sorry you have a tender tummy.

I can tolerate red pepper much better than green.

But seriously. Soy?!

Laughs. But I'm not a size 0!

Veronica

Sophie86
10-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Even the phrase "soy crumbles" just sounds wrong. For one thing, I have never really seen soy . . . crumble, per se. It is usually a gloppy mess. I will leave it in if it is in my hot and sour soup, but I usually never seek soy.

I used to think that way, but my wife switched us to soy crumbles when she was trying to lose weight. We've cut ground beef out of our diet, and it really improved my cholesterol levels. They went from borderline to sweet spot. *sigh*

We seldom eat tacos around here, but when we make burritos, we use Morningstar crumbles.

I remember one time at the table, my daughter(about 7-8 at the time) had sweat beading up on her forehead as she proclaimed, "I like spicy food now!"

:roflmao:

Anyone have the number for CFS where Kathi lives? lol.

Jennifer H
10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Being a Yorkshire lass I have to ask is there such a thing as a roast beef and yorkshire pudding taco? I think it would look and taste quite nasty, the same as a badly matched skirt & top!! but who knows nowadays almost anything goes. xxx

Frédérique
10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
So are the two at odds with each other, or is this just a really odd post?

This is a REALLY odd post... :doh:

It’s funny how receptive everyone is to the same old argument when the premise is couched in metaphor. Does anyone here know any reason why these two sides should not be joined together in blissful harmony? No? Well, break out the tacos and let’s start LIVING!
:clap:

Really? You can blame all this on SALT?

Sorry, I was in a salt coma. Yes, it’s true – Freddy is a very tender petal... :o

Jorja
10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Being a Yorkshire lass I have to ask is there such a thing as a roast beef and yorkshire pudding taco? I think it would look and taste quite nasty, the same as a badly matched skirt & top!! but who knows nowadays almost anything goes. xxx

Give it a try and let us know :thumbsup::thumbsdn:

marlaNYC
10-15-2011, 10:18 AM
ah, food. i like my tacos in Austin, Texas. that's the only part about them that isn't metaphor! everything else is as confused as i am :) i like soft but sometimes would rather be crunchy. i like all the toppings and fillings but sometimes just want lettuce. sometimes i want bland, other times spicy. sometimes i want vegetarian, and yet some nice ground beef would make it perfect. guacamole, beans and rice are the only constants (not sure what that would mean ;) ). and i never want salt on my margherita...

i think i'll just go with the quesadilla, if that's ok...