PDA

View Full Version : Girls,gurls or gurlz

PaulaAnn
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
OK,so what are we ? Some forums use one spelling and others will use a varient.
Does it even matter ? I like to think I'm one of the girls:heehee:...although I did use the "gurl" title,but stopped some time ago .......

Paula.

Kittyagain
10-13-2011, 05:32 PM
I have seen post using the gurls but I wasn't sure of the meaning or the origin. Girl seems to be informal as compared to woman in our world.

Kitty

Marissa_Black
10-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't think it really means a great deal in the grand scheme of cressing.

ReineD
10-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I used to use "gurl" when I was new to the community, but I don't any more. It seems too fetishy sounding now.

kimdl93
10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
I really prefer girl to gurl...it sounds disingenuous...and a bit too cute for my taste...rather like "boi"

Kate Simmons
10-13-2011, 06:09 PM
I dunno Hon, I prefer "Goddess" myself, bit I digress......:heehee:

Julia Welch
10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
How about "guys" ... I don't like to be called a girl, however it's spelt ... I'm a guy that enjoys wearing female attire, nothing more.

Sophie86
10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Does it even matter ? I like to think I'm one of the girls:heehee:...although I did use the "gurl" title,but stopped some time ago .......

Paula.

I believe gurl is supposed to be a combination of guy + girl. I got tired of making that distinction though.

How about "guys" ... I don't like to be called a girl, however it's spelt ... I'm a guy that enjoys wearing female attire, nothing more.

Okay, Julia. ;)

Debb
10-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Ah man, I thought we were gonna be talking about Motley Crüe.

RenneB
10-13-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm goin' stick with girl. That's how I was made, but then a creul switch happened in the womb and I cam out with male gender identifications..... I really don't use the word "guy" but I've heard many a GG say "guy" refering to her GG friends. So, I'm thinkin' that "guy" in generic while girl means girl.... at least for now...

Renne.....

Babeba
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I have to admit - my inner grammatical stickler just CRINGES whenever I read the terms 'Gurl' or 'Gurlz' - particularly when it's been oddly capitalized as GuRlz or some such. If you don't feel comfortable referring to yourself as a girl, how is it better to butcher the spelling? It's alright to say t-girl, transwoman, crossdresser, MTF, and so on... but to me, saying 'gurl' is almost as though the person doing it doesn't feel as though she deserves to be/be seen as a girl or a woman.

However, that is my own bias and as I am not a CDer or a transwoman perhaps my opinion is a bit off! :)

docrobbysherry
10-13-2011, 07:50 PM
I've met lots of girls. On this site, at CD events, and near my home. I've met lots of young girls, (mostly my daughter's friends), and I've met many GGs.:)

I don't think I've never met a gurl anywhere yet! But, I'm not sure what thuy look like?:eek:

Eryn
10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I prefer "lady" to "girl."

DeeDeeB
10-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm with Eryn. I am no longer a teenager (by a lot), so Lady seems more appropriate than any spelling of girl. We can spend way too much time applying labels, but what matters is who we see ourselves as. Love yourself as a girl, boy, lady, gent, or whatever. Just enjoy being you.

Dee :fairy1:

Lynn Marie
10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Gee whiz, who really cares what were called. It's like those folks who insist on being called by their correct name rather than an accepted short form like Bob, or Chuck, or Rich, or Dick, or Mike. Hell I'd love to have one of those short, easy to say names, but I don't.

Anyway, I use girls for gg girls and gurls for CD girls for no other reason than to help clarify what I'm writing about. Sorry if you are offended by that. Get over it!

PaulaAnn
10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Well put DeeDeeB;I agree;I'm a girl at heart,and a guy by birth. I couldn't be happier.

Paula.

Lynn Marie; Ah......nothing to get over nor am I offended hon, ????

Paula.

Presh GG
10-13-2011, 08:50 PM
When I use "gals" it is clear I'm talking about TGs.
For the GGs I say women

OK with that ?

Presh GG

donnatracey
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Gurls works for me.....agree with Lynn Marie...a nice way to differentiate.

Sara Jessica
10-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I've been reprimanded in these pages for using the term "girl". The exact context escapes me but I was informed in no uncertain terms that it was an inappropriate term for an adult female in any context. I disagreed in pointing out that my wife often uses the word, girls night out is a perfect example. But context is important and out of respect for women, and the mod who took me to task, I don't use "girl" often (nor do I often use GG for a similar reason).

But personally, I eschew the term "gurl". As Reine said, it just seems fetish-y to me.

sissystephanie
10-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Another label!! Who needs it? I am a guy, and I crossdress! Does that make me a girl, or gurl? I don't think so!! I am still the same guy!!

Anne2345
10-13-2011, 09:37 PM
I do not believe the term "gurl" applies to me. I very much prefer "girl." :)

Crissy Kay
10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
To tell you the truth, I really don"t think it matters!! We know who we are!!!

ReineD
10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyway, I use girls for gg girls and gurls for CD girls for no other reason than to help clarify what I'm writing about. Sorry if you are offended by that. Get over it!

Why are you being so confrontational? There are 14 posts ahead of you. How many have said they were offended, or express any negative opinion about CDs who prefer to use "gurls"? Everyone is just posting their own preference, for themselves.

Mikaela
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I really wish I could *Like* or +1 Reine's posts. :D

Karren H
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd rather you call me Karren or hey you to some made up derogatory derivation of girl...

Yvonne York
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Paula.

Girls. girls, girls!!!!

Katie83
10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I agree with Karren, just call me Katie thanks!
Katie

LRoberts
10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Do you think "ladies" would be appropriate? Or is too old fashioned.

ReineD
10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Girls. girls, girls!!!!

My son wanted a Tshirt from a funky design place that had a bright pink neon squirrel on it, with "Squirrels, squirrels, squirrels!" also in bright pink neon lettering, all on a black background.

I thought it was cute, and I got it for him (he was 16). Then my SO pointed out the Tshirt was a takeoff on the "Girls, girls, girls!", neon signs you see at strip joints. :p

.... I guess the days when he was into Disney cutesy animals, like Bambi & Thumber are over. :D

RachelPortugal
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
There are so many new words, text speak etc that I cringe at because they do not conform to the rules of English as I was taught at an English grammar school 4 decades ago, but at the same time I remember my Latin, Greek, Aramaic, Cyrillic, French and Spanish lessons and realise (realize as spelt in another version of English) that this is how languages evolve and develop. Words derived from others, common usage or mis-spelling.

Whats in a label any way, but let us not forget that if the internet had been around a century ago we would have all been logged/signed on/in (however one chooses to put it) to www.transvestites.com.

When it comes to pronunciation, should it not be spelt gurl, as in curl, furl or hurl. Correct me if you know better, but the only -irl words sounding like -url have a "w" before the "irl" as in swirl or twirl.

shesadvl
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM

My sentiments exactly :clap: well put.

but when i refer to GG's sometimes i use gurls its just the way i use the word at times, ( more directed at the younger generation of females),... i have used that for years,
but as for GG's its all ways been ladies mainly.

Reine didnt realise saying Gurls is fetish, lol :p

ReineD
10-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Reine didnt realise saying Gurls is fetish, lol

The way it was explained to me years ago, is that men who "pretend" to be girls, change the spelling slightly to protect their male status. And, well, let's just face it, it's not uncommon for men to pretend to be girls for fetish reasons. Most times the CDers who do their best to present feminine in order to blend, are getting in touch with real feminine feelings. They're not pretending to be anyone. At least, this is my understanding.

Laura Evans
10-14-2011, 04:41 PM
It is just another label with no real meaning behind it. I prefer woman, Laura or girl.